Why do Christians, even in the modern day, despise pagans so much...

Why do Christians, even in the modern day, despise pagans so much? I've taken an interest into Indo-European religion for a few years now, and while it is difficult to assemble a collection of practices, and beliefs due to the speculative nature of it all, I still try, and it still spiritually fulfills me.

Yet, even though we share with Christians a spiritual view on life, they spit at us and call us LARPers. Even though we share common ground in a world plagued by nihilism and materialism, they have no desire to find common roots or work together.

Is this just the true nature of the Christian? Are you simply unable to accept the others have different beliefs and practices?

It's probably embarrassment, so much of christianity is so obviously based on pagan ideas that either they can accept this and suddenly they have no argument for why you should pick christianity over paganism, or they can stir themselves into a tizzy and hate on paganism as an overcompensation, kind of like how so many anti-faggot bigots turn out to be closet cases.

Probably because the pagans treated Christians like shit (Romans were Pagans too) and created so many Christian martyrs that hating them became part of the religion. Also unless you seriously think worshipping a tree is a logical idea, you are LARPing being a pagan.

Probably because pagans keep calling them quasi-Jews and cuckolds.

>worshipping a tree

You can't even into metaphor can you?
>quasi-Jews and cuckolds

Well, it's kinda true

>Are you simply unable to accept the others have different beliefs and practices?

Literally what any religion or ideology that makes some sense does

They take the very first commandment really seriously.

Holding nature as divine is an incredibly logical idea. Without a respect for nature, look what we have done to it. Religion allows us to explore ourselves and the vast amount of experiences in life through myth and metaphor.

Only monotheistic religion. With pagans it was typically

>Oh your god kinda does the same thing as our god, lets merge them and have a mutual understanding and respect and fight each other over other things like trade routes and resources like civilized people

>they spit at us and call us LARPers

They don't because you don't matter. The Varg Vikerners of the world can fit in a high school stadium. You're not worth getting upset over desu desu

it was not a metaphor historically; donar's oak was a literal tree people worshiped. this is why neo-bagans are LARPers because they don't actually believe the same things as the historical pagans.

Isn't it ironic that Christ was a very loving figure, and you're an asshole? :^)

Speak for yourself. I talk to tree spirits regularly.

Pagan religions can't be followed anymore. They are defeated and destroyed religions thus proving, outright, their lack of validity.

About what?

when was the last time you throwed someone in a bog?

Christians have always been autistic when it came to matters of faith. They are completely obsessed with little differences in theology and liturgy.

>Arianism
>Nestorianism
>Catholic - Orthodox schism
>Catharism
>Husitism
>Protestant Reformation
>The Great Awakenings

and so on...

they're not even LARPers

there's not enough information from which to devise a LARP

try to keep up.

They just make it up as they go along obviously.

That shit isn't fair. It's like if I used some quotes from some snake-handling Evangelist to mock Christianity.

>unless you seriously think worshipping a tree is a logical idea

yes but worshiping some kike with hallucinatory delusions who they nailed to a stick is perfectly reasonable

people do that all the time

Name one (1) Norse pagan thinker.

Snownegros are kinda dumb, but there were many Hellenistic philosophers, mathematicians, and "thinkers".

Is that why Christianity was so popular in ancient Greece?

Perhaps, I have nothing against Christianity itself. It has roots in many pagan traditions and schools of thought so the people claming it's "Jewish" are stupid.

I just wish Christians were accepting of me.

We cannot accept lies.

Christianity was popular in the Greco-Roman Mediterranean because it bastardized and plagiarized from Hellenistic, Near Eastern, and other Mediterranean pagan mythologies and cults to make it appeal to your average Greek.

And also because the Roman government made it the official religion after Constantine.

I wonder who could be behind this post?

Last Thursday

Constantine legalised Christianity, it was adopted by Theodosius.

Your false gods are demons.

Literally every conflict has been about monetary gain or political power in some way or another.

I can't believe I'm reading this

I hope you don't actually believe that. I mean you could probably get away with saying "a great deal of" or "many" but

>literally every conflict

That's some fedora-tier postmodern historical revisionism son.

>Is this just the true nature of the Christian?

Yes. Just like Judaism and Islam, Christianity is build around the idea of absolute unity (Islam uses the word 'tahwid' for this), and therefore consider anything that deviates from their doctrine as inherently wrong, regardless of whether it actually is.

This is why Abrahamic religions can never bring about a stable civilization, certainly not in their idealized form, and maybe not at all, since the very core of civilization is the exact opposite, disunity. In civilization, you're allowed to disagree with one another, you're allowed to make choices that differ from your neighbour, and you're allowed to in general have the opinion that your ideas might be wrong.

In Abrahamic religion, none of this is possible, and whenever Abrahamists were forced to build a society, they always had to let go this ideal of absolute unity, in return for variation within society, which is much better for the long term survival of your society. In short, Abrahamic societies of the past were often just nominally Abrahamic, as they often had art (which goes against the commandment of graven images), often went to war (which is not exactly in line with the Golden Rule), and often just let their subjects privately engage in worldly pleasures (which goes against their ideal of spiritual purity, but then again, that doesn't produce babies).

They remember the persecution of Christians under Nero but forget the persecutions of Pagans under Christians who started out small - ie booting them out of state jobs and banning new temples before outright destroying temples and killing those would not convert or at least cease publicly practicing their faith.

Name one that wasn't.

Crusades

>killing those would not convert or at least cease publicly practicing their faith.
This never happened

You mean that time when a bunch of knights set off to help the Byzantine Empire recover Anatolia from the Turks and instead went to the Holy Land and carved out a bunch of states for themselves?

Were about preventing in-fighting between Christians for the church, and about gaining land and loot for the warriors.

Germanic heathen here, feel free to ask questions if anyone is actually interested. I presume it will mostly be trashing me, but the offer is there.

Repent and believe the gospel, heathen dog

Do you talk to trees?

Which rune did you throw last Wednesday?

I do not. I do respect my local nature, though.

The rune throwing thing is something I'm not into, plus I don't believe in magic.

How can you be a heathen and not believe in magic? Are you just a "cultural heathen" or something?

It's not magic, it's a symbolic gesture

I don't believe in magic because I took science classes growing up. I think people try to view an organic, cultural religion which developed as a reflection of its people through the lense of modern monotheistic belief, because the elder heathens had no dogma and no formalized organization. Practices differed region to region, settlement to settlement, and household to household back then, and it's the same now. I should also add that many of us, myself included, do not view ourselves as continuing an unbroken belief system but rather making an informed new one.

Never gotten into it. My religious practices are 90% ancestor worship and landvaettir/nature worship, the remaining group offerings to the gods (blot/symbel)

>I took science classes growing up
euphoric

Yeah, looking back that did come across as rather fedora

because your reconstruction is usually very, very bad. Now there are a couple movements that do the whole "lets find out what the ancients worshipped like" seriously, and id like to talk to them.
Basically, the same reason early christians shit on arians and donatists for not having apostolic succesion and continuity, and catholics and orthodox make fun of evangelists for "let me tell you about your religion" from movements less than 150 years ago.

>I don't believe in magic because I took science classes growing up

you're a professional quote maker user

Trees and plants give us food, building materials and fire

Prophets from the distant past give us terrorism, witch hunts and creationism

LARPer here, feel free to ask questions if anyone is actually interested. I presume it will mostly be trashing me, but the offer is there.

FTFY

Because they can't handle the truth of paganism, despite literally being carried to relevance, by the pagan empire.

Christianity can be summed up as anti-paganism. It's the deconstruction of pagan religions and of the concepts of sacrifice and divine violence. Still being a pagan after Jesus revealed the pagan lies is just full edgy retard.

> Jesus revealed the pagan lies
He just made many edgy claims that wasn't really backed by anything. So much for reveal.

Most information about Slavic paganism was lost in time, mainly because their pre-Christian writing system was written down on tree bark instead of skin, papyrus, stone and paper.

>Probably because the pagans treated Christians like shit
bullshit. Anti-pagan autism goes back to judaism, it's even stronger in Islam than christianity. Also by the time there was a significant amount of christians in the Roman Empire Roman paganism was already a thing of the past more or less.

No, everyone calls you LARPers, because your religion is mostly a late-20th-century simulation.

Even if that wasn't observably true, in view of the fact that the forms of Christian worship couldn't be preserved for twenty centuries, your claim to be performing rituals older than accurately stretches credulity.

> your religion is mostly a late-20th-century simulation
There are still legit pagans, you know?

Hindus, yeah. I've never heard a Christian say anything disobliging about Hinduism in my life.

Varg, kinda.

it is to jej

They may be respected or not, but they aren't often called LARPers. Or pagan for the matter. If there's hostility from christians towards them, it's mostly caused by a clash of cultures rather than mocking and amusement.

He's literally a LARPer

This.
It was that absolutism during Rome's most vulnerable era that won over both the state and her enemies. The Romans that were usually tolerant and inclusive of opposing religious ideas got tired of martyring the increasing number of people that didn't share that view and wouldn't acknowledge the Emperor or the state gods, so to stop the senseless slaughter (and the nagging of wives and mothers, Christianity seemed real "chic" with the ladies) they simply adapted it.
And the Barbarians at Rome's gates where pretty much tusundre for Rome to begin with, so they tended to adapt it as well. But on both sides, the old ways got infused with the new, and when the Barbarians took over, Christianity had pretty much morphed from a pretty open source pacifistic-aggressive middle eastern religion of peace, to a dogmatic warrior religion where it wasn't uncommon to see a mural of Jesus Christ holding a spear or a sword in lieu of Mars or Thor.

What do you use for your costumes?

If you can find an image of one of these murals, I'd be interested to see it.

>ywn never live in a world where christianity was smothered in it's crib
>ywn travel all around the world praying to the same gods and goddesses.

But he is also something akin to a Pagan thinker.

"Merge them"

Translation: Using this happy similarity ti slowly eat and destroy your culture to replace it with mine. Literally what christians do.

Aren't these some time after the Barbarians took over, though?

Interesting.

Without Christians, not only would you have no idea what 'culture' is, because the concept was invented when monks recorded paganism, you'd also be living in a mud hut, because the pagan cultures were as a rule infinitely more cretinous than Christianity ever was - hence why it caught on.

These are from the description of him during the second coming.

>Christianity had pretty much morphed from a pretty open source pacifistic-aggressive middle eastern religion of peace, to a dogmatic warrior religion where it wasn't uncommon to see a mural of Jesus Christ holding a spear or a sword in lieu of Mars or Thor.

Christianity or Jesus being pacific by any modern definition is a meme. Read the Bible, Jesus uses violence when he believes it's needed.

> hope those guys don't read the Bible

Like the other user said this pictures show Jesus as he is described in his second coming by John. The previous ones probably also make reference to that, although it's harder to claim without context. John precedes the barbarian conquerors by centuries.

Christianity never opposed (rightful) violence and war.

>"beating jews out of the temple doesn't count!"

You have a point, part reason being that I'm too lazy to dust up some of my art history books in order to go on a more in depth google image search. But they are there, even the ones where he's carrying a spear and not simply receiving it.

Which a more militant Christianity put a bigger emphasis on in order to run a class divided state and avoid hypocrisies in lieu of actually adopting what amounts to a pretty communistic, turn the other cheek message. People often wonder what it would have been like if Christianity never gained a hold of Europe, I think it's pretty safe to say that things wouldn't have been much different, but perhaps a bit more honest.

He's really just a racist idiot desu. Wouldn't be surprised if he tripped on /pol/

>Christianity never opposed (rightful) violence and war.

It did when it wasn't the state religion, and sects that did so after the Church established itself where either crushed or fell into violence as a reaction of being constantly poked by the Church-State (hard to turn the other cheek for too long wen your comrades keep being tortured and executed for it).
You just have to look at Christianity and its tactics before it was a state religion and after it became a defender of the status quo instead of a doomsday cult to see that "rightful violence and war" wasn't initially on the menu, but became so when there was no longer an option to simply martyr yourself for the moral high ground, if only because you had people and lands to defend. I mean, I forgive you if you're a Catholic, but the excessive head games and arguments the early christian thinkers went trough in order to justify neoRome behaving like it always behaved is pretty staggering.

He didn't smack himself, so no

Those twenty-something stabs from behind were self-defence, user

The majority of christians who know about the internet and arent oldfags are just LARPers because
>muh tradition
>muh no degeneracy

Actually, Augustine formulated the just war theory because of the Circumcellions.

No, Christians have been on the internet from before the beginning.

>mfw christians literally worship a stature of an attractive woman
how beta can you be?

The back and forth arguments and re-interpretation of doctrine to justify Christian war policy didn't start or end with Augustine, it had already begun with Constantine and would continue well into the Renaissance, if not longer.
Bear in mind though, I'm not necessarily saying that is a bad thing.

There's been a pretty clear historical pattern what happens to sects operating on the initial doomsday cult model Christianity sprung from which keeps repeating itself. You just have to look at the Münster Rebellion or the Jonestown Massacre to see how easily the Christian doctrine can be used and abused at its fundamental rawest, and as interesting to see how that would function at a nation state level, I wouldn't care being caught in it.

For the Church(es) to have lasted so long as an organized power, beyond integrating the old pagan ways, it's had to adapt with the times and use some devious realpolitik to justify going in new directions that often all but contradict the Bible's main tenets or stretch them to their interpretational limit.