I don't know anything about physics, explain to me why we don't put these on cars

I don't know anything about physics, explain to me why we don't put these on cars

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jOoS6FBoQZM
youtube.com/watch?v=xvJLb1s2NNw
youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8drYXiDys
youtube.com/watch?v=9c9dxEnYh3Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They do on high end cars

>They often consist of a metal flap that is lowered against the air flow, thus creating drag and reducing dive speed
>drag without downforce
Great idea, Boris.

But we do.

Like what?
I know that for example slr mclaren has spoiler that works like aerodynamic brake at high speeds, you mean something like that?

All the normie memecars have active aero

They don't really do much under 100 mph but a few cars have them.

Planes don't have traction on the ground most of the time so airbrakes are the only reliable way to slow down.

Nothing is going to beat a friction brake if your on wheels though.

Doesn't even have to be all that high end.

Check this out
youtube.com/watch?v=jOoS6FBoQZM

That was just a concept car.

>in airbrake mode we chose to semi-stall the wing rather than fully stall it like some other manufacturers do. That way it still gives loads of downforce while providing a significant amount of drag to aid braking

I fucking love that car company dude

Your pic is of a dive brake on a dive bomber, cars tend not to need them.
Pic is an airbrake deployed.

Is there a difference between airbrake and dive brake? Aren't they both made to increase drag to slow you down?

A dive brake is to stop you going faster, not to slow you down.
Picky I know but cars don't have a not going faster pedal.

>dive breaks
Because you're not divebombing the IJN Center Fleet in your 3k Civic you troglodyte.

So all there is ion terms of aerodynamic brakes on cars are spoilers (on cars that I will never afford)
It's all rgiht I guess, it just doesn't look as cool as those red dive brakes on SBD

The only place to put them is on the back near the top.
Pretty much every other option for aerodynamic slowing involves a one shot deployment.

The Mitsubishi 3000GT also had some cool features.

youtube.com/watch?v=xvJLb1s2NNw

youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8drYXiDys

youtube.com/watch?v=9c9dxEnYh3Y

dive brakes (that is, a surface specifically designed to slow the vehicle in question significantly or avoid excess increase in speed) isn't necessary for cars because
>most cars aren't going at high enough speeds for airbrakes or dive brakes to do much
>planes are incapable of slowing down in any way other than lowing the throttle or increasing the air resistance, cars have these things creating friction with the ground called tires that are attached to wheels and brakes that can slow down more efficiently in most cases than air resistance
>it's expensive as fuck
active aero exists on modern supercars, but pretty much anything else doesn't even want it let alone need it.

Look! An F-15 off to bomb some Palestinian children throwing rocks! OY vey!

Wtf is that R2D2 riding behind the cockpit?

On street cars it'd be too wide but on track cars they do

Well fuck me. I did not know that.

The huayra has this.

OMG user my friends think you're so funny and cool xDDDDDD

Airbrakes are what are used on semi rigs. They air up to release the brakes, then when the air is released by stepping on the pedal, the brakes apply, or if the air line is compromised, the brakes lock up. Like if the trailer was to break loose of the tractor.

That. Is. Awesome

If this is bait then bravo

Your pedantry is wrong. "Airbrakes" is also the term used in aeronautics. Fucking nobody calls airbrakes "dive brakes". It's not 1945 gramps.

No seriously, i've never seen active aero on the front of a car in the nineties.