About to plop down 10k on a brand new mitsubishi mirage. It's fun to drive, the warranty seems great on paper...

About to plop down 10k on a brand new mitsubishi mirage. It's fun to drive, the warranty seems great on paper, and all the negatives (cheap build quality) seem to be happily absorbed by my own self-loathing.

What's the Veeky Forums take?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DD_Mk1dvLSo&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're a poorfag who's too proud to ride the bus?

you might as well get a civic famalam

Nope. I live in the Midwest burbs, where buses are a meme.

I had mixed feelings on driving the civic, especially when the available specs near me are straight up twice the price of this thing.

y tho

just get a civic for 3k. the warranty doesn't matter if the company is gone in 3 years.

I like the idea of buying the cheapest new shitbox possible. Too bad there isnt a pickup availiable in the same spirt

the new ones? those are pretty good. but i meant the old ones, you can get one for pretty cheap and it'll last you years

I'd suggest a Hyundai or Kia product
They have longer warranties and you'll be much happer.

Do you own daily either, for reference?

Nissan Fronteir for 18k? Or were you talking about real pick ups?

youtube.com/watch?v=DD_Mk1dvLSo&feature=youtu.be

I thought this was b8 at first, but now I see your the biggest retard on Veeky Forums, and that's an accomplishment

Warranty is solid. Can't beat the financing either.
Notable mentions:
>50+ mpg on manuals
>weighs less than a ton
>slippery design
>not exciting on acceleration but tops out at 110 mph
>takes less than $15 bucks to fill the tank
>budding aftermarket but primarily in the pacific east
>can turn fucking anywhere
>supercharger and itb kits exist
>ultra racing makes a lot of suspension upgrades but id advise further corrosion protection
>oem accessories are plentiful. Rain guards, rear bumper step pad front and rear bumper extensions and real rocker moldings instead of the double sided taped strips

It doesn't try to be what it isn't. It's simple, easy to work on, better gas mileage than most hybrids while staying all motor and won't need expensive hybrid system maintenance.

I hope you are not defending this piece of shit

>defending this shitbox
a civic for 3k is better in every way.

Not true. Most brands will hold there end of the bargain. I had a friend who still serviced his car at a Suzuki place after they went byebye

please elaborate

better built, nicer interior, more power

I meant more as in examples of what 3k will get you in a civic. Even cars going back 7 years from today are priced competitively with the mirage on the used market, and getting close to that 3k target starts getting pretty hairy. Most of the examples I've seen in that price range are looking pretty rough, and a $4k example I drove needed a new suspension.

This doesn't even get to discussion on the improved safety and whatnot inherent to the more modern platform.

just get an hrv or fit

It's literally a meme

mirage does everything except go up hills tinny engine noise: but its cheap to buy remember that when you are making a warrantee claim for a engine...

You could find this for that price. I did. It's got an aux jack and airbags. What more do you need?

How much hate do you get for owning this thing?

>10k on a brand new mitsubishi mirage

I honestly couldn't think of a worse decision than that OP.

That user is.

there's some truth in every meme

>defending
I'm giving some factual information from having driven and owned one. I'm not making comparisons and I didn't say it was some FiST god machine killer or something.

Mainly i just got hate for the skinny 4inch wide tires. Most people like the design. I just got it as a cheap fuel efficient daily driver. I have 3 other cars.

Owners seem to love them, but reviewers seem to shit on them. They've also got solid brand loyalty.

This makes me think that if I know exactly what I'm getting, I won't be disappointed; rather, all it could do is impress me.

Get the Honda fit of Honda hrv. this thing is a relic to the days where subcompacts were pure shit . Also the crash test is surprisingly terrible for a modern car

I love the fit desu. But best I can get on one is 16k OTD. I dunno if I can justify a 60% markup on a commuter.

Looking into used of course is a different story; However, fits hold their value a little too well.

HRV all this but more $ and worse mpg.

>It's fun to drive
Huh... I don't think it is.

>mitsubishi mirage
Mits had decades of bad publicity. Hopefully Nissan turns it around. But it needs to fire all the mits managers as they were corrupt. Mits had too many decades of repeat scandals. That's where they falsified stats, falsified performance results, etc. So when you paid for a Mits, what you got wasn't necessarily as good as what the published stats were.

>buying new

Seriously, do you dipshits ever listen?

I am confused are you paying 10k cash for the car as a new car? Are you financing part of it? What's the out the door price including taxes? Are you saying you can get an entire brand new car for 10k cash, out the door?

Brand new, OTD, tax and everything in that price for a hair over 10k.

Any car starts to seem fun when you normally ride the bus

How do you think hatchbacks got popular?

I have an awd one I get like 33 highway

you can get a 2014 focus that's still under warranty for 10k

basically you're selling yourself short in every way you possibly could, the Mirage doesn't even have a fucking center console

Center console... The most essential part if a car.

Normally I don't encourage grown men to buy little four cylinder cars. But in this case OP seems to understand exactly what he is getting for his money. Its new, its warrantied. He doesn't have to take a loan. He doesn't want prestige or performance. I say good for him. The match was made in heaven. Drive your little car and have fun. Put some wide wheels and wide tires on it. Supercharge it. Throw a million watts of sound speakers in it that play the sound of a Saturn V rocket when you touch the gas. Hell. You can still have alot of fun in your little rolling commuter pod. Go nuts. When you stop worrying about what other people think you have a measure of freedom denied to most.

It's an indication of how much else you're missing out on you absolute retard. Have you ever sat in a Mirage? Have you ever even LOOKED at a Mirage in person? No, your dumb ass is just looking at pretty numbers on Autotrader.

It's an OEM accessory. But it does come with 5 cup holders because that is what's REALLY important to Americans.

Source. The scandal was an inside job. NmkV was joint owned by Nissan and Mitsu before they bought them. They sold the same cars under both badges. Nissan blew the whistle, Mitsubishi took a massive hit (culturally too) and Nissan bought them at a massive discount. It was shady but i think it will be good for Mitsu.

It's 3 cyl but you make great points. But as a note if you want to keep your warranty don't do performance mods. Definitely upgrade wheels, suspension and brakes but that's a 10 year powertrain warranty. After that's up have at it. People have dropped 4g15t, 4g63t, and 4b11t into it, and you can use evo 4-6 knuckles with no fabrication. I haven't seen any awd conversions aside from the r5, but that is a turn key racecar. But fuck, if the Mitsubishi i had an evo 8 rear and was awd I'm sure you can do it with the new mirage. Also fun fact they use Nissan transaxles.

>takes less than $15 bucks to fill the tank

You know if you just fill the tank with aggregate it would only cost $3 to fill.

That's better right? Less gas is better than more gas!

Goes farther on less gas
You're not too bright are you?

>upgrade muh brakes
Fuck off, it's a good shitbox because it's a shitbox. It's not made to go fast, or go around turns, it just goes cheap. Stop pretending it's anything it's not.

My mom has one. 40mpg, good turning radius, barebone interior but at least it has power windows and locks unlike other base model tier cars that actually cost more than it. The warranty is fantastic and reliability wise has been amazing . Decent storage. Handling is normal for a shitbox but not terrible

Cons: abysmal passing power

It's just potential. I would upgrade the brakes for safety reasons. Wider tires would get rid of how numb the steering feels but slightly reduce fuel economy, and some stiffer shocks would help for the god awful body roll.

Why are you so mad?

Get a civic or a corolla if you want an asian shitbox

Alternatively buy an old school RWD car and drive that or and LS swap it if you're american.

otherwise gtfo Veeky Forums because this shitbox is literally too normal and I even dare to say it's a girls car

How is an old RWD w/ or w/o an LS swap in any way comparable to the economics of an econobox?

If you only have 10k dont get a new car, your money would be better spent on a corolla or civic with fuck all miles on it.

mini trucks rule

i wouldn't go for the civic over the mirage tho, the fuel economy on the mirage is just too damn good. if you're going for the most economical ride, go mirage. but yuck, what a terrible car. fun to drive? i'd rather have dental surgery with a weak local anesthesia.

Why are you on this board? Clearly automobiles and thier characteristics apart from thier economic impact to you have no meaning and value. Performance, quality, safety, history, none of these things mean anything or have any intrinsic value to you. Its all just how much it costs to buy and fill up. You are not an automobile enthusiast you are a personal finances enthusiast who needs a rolling accessory so you can keep chasing your financial dreams. An auto enthusiast dreams of cars and thier performance. We chase that dream at all cost. You are just chasing your own dollars and throwing them away on a deplorable monument to mediocrity and banality. I would rather (and have) spent 20k, 30k, and even 40k on vehicles that inspire me and fill me with a sense of impending adventure, intrinsic mechanical capability, and a proven historical record of advancement and achievement in the development and progress of automotive greatness. You have selected an automobile that is the antithesis of all these things. The Mirage is a regressive demonstration o lf the failures of a company that failed to achieve greatness by unwillingness to set goals for performance and relevancy in the marketplace and in inherent design. You have chosen a car that does not inspire the mind, nor reflect the current state of technological competence. You do not seek greatness. You tolerate deplorable, unfathomable, incomprehensible misery in the form of an automobile that has zero redeeming objective physical features in the quest of the irrationally derived arbitrary numbers in your head like 10k dollars and 40 mpg. A 3 cly. Engine? It makes me sick to see that a company would find such an offering as acceptable and even more despondent that there are consumers who could set thier sights so low as to accept this.

Said the 3k memer

Mitsubishi engine components are made entirely from chocolate and plastic. I've been driving trucks for 17 years, so I've seen an ass-ton of cars and every, every, every time I see a car blowing oil-smoke, it's a mitsubishi. Avoid like the plague.

is it faster than an frs?

I disagree. Efficiency and cost are far from irrational things to consider, and efficiency itself is often not cost-effective to pursue. Jesus, a commuter has far more opportunity to try and maximize roundtrip fuel efficiency than show off a dank 0-60.

This is a simple, uncomplicated machine that is as probably easier to understand than any other new car on the market, which for great for those who want to quickly learn their own car inside and out. In its own way, it's elegant.

>civic for 3k
Please gather up all your 3k civic friends and fuck off from this board forever

Have any of you done a long drive, say 400+ miles in this thing? Curious how fatiguing / comfortable it is for the long haul.