Is classical antiquity the most based period in the history of humanity?

Is classical antiquity the most based period in the history of humanity?

>Amazing Art and Architecture. Beautiful mosaics and frescoes decorating cities
>Relative peace under the Pax Romana
>The birth of Philosophy, Mathematics and Physics
>Greco-Roman Mythology
>Holidays that atually meant something, like Saturnalia
>Persia was an actually interesting place
>Amazing wonders like the Library of Alexandria, the Lighthouse at Alexandria, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, the Colossus of Rhodes, The Temple of Zeus at Olympia and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
>Latin and Ancient Greek as the most spoken languages.
>The age of amazing military generals like Scipio Africanus, Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar
>North Africa was actually interesting with amazing cities like Memphis, Alexandria and Carthage

I want to live there so badly. It hurts, Veeky Forums. It hurts so much.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Durant
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"Classical" Antiquity is pleb tier.

Late Antiquity is the thinking man's periodisation.

Although the time period is interesting. I doubt you'd want to live there as the overwhelming majority of people had terrible life condition. Very few were part of the upper echelon and most struggled on daily basis to simply survive.

I think it was an amazing time, but I also think it has been romanticised to an incredible degree. Most lived in squalor, had terrible teeth conditions, low life expectancy etc.

This is like wishing to life in warhammer 40k.
Humans are in space but you most likely end up on a lower level of a zealous hivecity.

>and Physics

Not in any meaningful sense. I mean they thought a heavy object fell faster than a light object ffs.

No, of you look around you have more advanced architecture today, much more advanced tecnology in all fields, much more knowledge in all fields and no slavery

Also mathematics was known by humanity since a long time before that, Babylonians discovered second grade equations for instance

this is only a meme

What's a meme?

Fucking barbarian

A golden age is a time and location where there is nobody left alive to tell you how shitty it was.

>>Amazing Art and Architecture. Beautiful mosaics and frescoes decorating cities
we have that in this age, but many times larger and more sophisticated
>>Relative peace under the Pax Romana
They made it a wasteland and called it peace
>>The birth of Philosophy, Mathematics and Physics
At the one academy in the entire world where only the richest and most elite aristocrats could afford to send their children
>>Greco-Roman Mythology
retardedly superstitious believers
>>Holidays that atually meant something, like Saturnalia
Wtf does this even mean? Do you not know what "Labor day" or "Thanksgiving" means?
>>Persia was an actually interesting place
and they would have killed you for trespassing on their lands
>>Amazing wonders
Imagine living in a world where there's only 7 largeish structures in all the cities and towns on the continent and you have to be rich to live in those places
>>Latin and Ancient Greek as the most spoken languages.
What's wrong with the language you speak?
>>The age of amazing military generals like Scipio Africanus, Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar
Who wouldn't have thought twice about putting you in chains and marching you off to war to fight and die for their profit margins
>>North Africa was actually interesting with amazing cities like Memphis, Alexandria and Carthage
It's an interesting place today.

>no slavery

Komplete Kek

? Retard

8i know OP had placed his ideas that way, but immagine the greek culture and religion surviving intact and taking the place of christianity as the most practiced religion in europe, the consequences on the modern world would be enormous, first we would become so advanced we would have already destroyed the universe, perhaps we all needed the jesus retardation

And women knew their places.

I AM AUTISTIC

>this time period goes against my middle-class comfort meme therefore it is garbage and we're so much better off today
neck yourself

There's slavery in underdeveloped countries. It's not the kind back then but still.

Retard we're talking about the west

T. 15 year old retard Who idealises a shitty backward era

You know nothing about the Pax Romana, your ignorance of this time period is clear, you have nothing of worth to say about it considering you hardly understand it.

>we have that in this age, but many times larger and more sophisticated

Larger =/= better. Modern Architecture is an abomination, and most cities in the world are just cement after cement with no soul in them because being cheap is better than having to pay to make your city not look like garbage.

>They made it a wasteland and called it peace

You're right. 200 years of no war isn't really peace. Let's just call it non-war.

>At the one academy in the entire world where only the richest and most elite aristocrats could afford to send their children

The beauty is the birth aspect of it. A clean slate off of which humanity has to build its knowledge of the universe.

>retardedly superstitious believers

Far better than any Abrahamic religion. It's ironic because it brought more peace and stability than any Abrahamic religion that preaches such things.

>Wtf does this even mean? Do you not know what "Labor day" or "Thanksgiving" means?

Labor day is a meme holiday and Thanksgiving is an American holiday.

>and they would have killed you for trespassing on their lands

So nothing changed in that regard, then?

>Imagine living in a world where there's only 7 largeish structures in all the cities and towns on the continent and you have to be rich to live in those places

You don't necessarily have to be rich if you live nearby them, and besides, there's plenty of other things to see that would be available in your local Roman town. Things like Theatres, Circuses and Hippodromes. Or if you live in Athens, the Acropolis. Or if you lived in Pergamon, the Altar of Zeus.

>What's wrong with the language you speak?

Nothing, I just prefer Ancient Greek and Latin because they're beautiful.

>Who wouldn't have thought twice about putting you in chains and marching you off to war to fight and die for their profit margins

Why would they do that? I'm just another Roman Citizen.

>It's an interesting place today.

Algeria, sure, but the rest is quite boring.

Can you stop offending people who disagree with you? Thanks, this isn't reddit.

Yeah modern architecture is an abomination, Im sure Rome was like depicted in the movies

You have much more entertainmemt today over all and much more knowledge, I'm willing to bet you're under 18
I offend retards with 0 understanding of history

Not him but you're a sad little retard, pax romana is the biggest meme in the history ok mankind

>No, of you look around you have more advanced architecture today, much more advanced tecnology in all fields, much more knowledge in all fields and no slave

If you go to a non western country and look around then you're wrong m8

Christianity and Islam ruined everything, they replaced people's native faiths and made societies much more religious. A philosopher in the Middle Ages only talked about the Bible and different ways to interpret it, compared to ancient Greek philosophers who actually thought about life in a secular way. It took the plague for people to stop having full trust in the Church and to start thinking about life outside of the Bible again

I'm Not wrong, you're a fucking idiot if you think the arab world or china isn't much more advanced than the Roman republic or the Greek world, besides we're talking about the West

Pax Romana is the Roman assurance of peace through mutual defense, its no meme and its nothing resembling what ignorant shit he said

>"made it a wasteland and called it peace"

Dont be fucking retarded like him.

The Spanish Flu killed far more people in Europe than the plague ever did, your ignorance of this period of middle ages history is clear.

You didn't specify the west in your original post hoenstly and youre just saying that now. there is still human trafficking and things under the category of slavery in the west too you fucktard, research nigga

the Spanish flu killed way less people in terms of percentage, how am I ignorant? Historians say the plague was the first event in the beginning of the end of feudalism and the middle ages

Is classical neo-antiquity the most based period in the history of humanity?
> Amazing Art and Architecture. Beautiful lights and skyscrapers decorating cities.
> Relative peace under the Pax Americana
> The birth of Genetics, Cybernetics and Memetics
> Americano-European Mythology
> Holidays that actually meant something, like Christmas Day
> Japan was an actually interesting place
> Amazing wonders like the Sydney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Christ the Redeemer, Golden Gate Bridge, Hoover Dam and Sagrada Familia.
> Chinese and Ancient American as the most spoken languages.
>The age of amazing military generals like Adolf Hitler, Dwight Eisenhower and Georgi Zhukov
> West Eurasia was actually interesting with amazing cities like Paris, Berlin and London
I want to live there so badly. It hurts, Veeky Forums. It hurts so much.

>Pax Americana
>peaceful

>Americano-European Mythology

You mean Christianity? The most boring religion on Earth?

>Christmas Day

Christmas is a commercial disaster with no meaning anymore.

>in the world are just cement after cement with no soul in them because being cheap is better than having to pay to make your city not look like garbage.
And what evidence do you have that 99% of ancient Rome wasn't the exact same thing?
>You're right. 200 years of no war isn't really peace. Let's just call it non-war.
But then they really weren't completely at peace, either, there was the massive Jewish war, the invasion of Dacia, the Marcomannic and Quadi invasions, etc. And that quote comes from Tacitus himself "To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace."
>The beauty is the birth aspect of it. A clean slate off of which humanity has to build its knowledge of the universe.
No, no, no, there was nothing "clean" about it. It arose messily, built upon past work, and was flat out wrong in many ways. Have you even read Aristotle?
>Far better than any Abrahamic religion.
I can't recall the last time I saw a modern person conduct an augury before preforming a surgury, conducting a battle, or voting on legislation. I can't remember the last time I saw a politician take a blatant religious test.
>meme holiday
They're all meme holidays. What makes you think classical holidays were better just because they were based on pagan superstition?
>So nothing changed in that regard, then?
You know, except for that tiny little detail where people's quality of life is dramatically better thanks to advances in technology and medicine and food chain management and they aren't getting wiped out by pestilence
>Theatres, Circuses and Hippodromes.
You could get any of those things in any small town today
>Nothing, I just prefer Ancient Greek and Latin because they're beautiful.
You're romanticizing the past
>Why would they do that? I'm just another Roman Citizen.
Yes, exactly. they had no problem with press-ganging plebs into the military. Roman justice was pay-to-play

>Pax Romana is the Roman assurance of peace through mutual defense, its no meme and its nothing resembling what ignorant shit he said
That quote is from Tacitus you ignorant little shit. I'm going to PRIMARY sources for my info. Where do you go besides your little peter pan syndrome about life in the distant past?

>>this time period goes against my middle-class comfort meme therefore it is garbage and we're so much better off today
>neck yourself
If you really want to live like Romans did here's how you do it:

A: Find a spot in an uncivilized area where you can put down a basic concrete box
B: Never use modern medicine for anything, never boil your water because you don't know what germs are, and sacrifice a goat every now and then to the god of war and agriculture
C: scratch a living trying to subsistence farm
C: try not to starve to death the year that you had a bad harvest

This is how the vast majority of Romans lived.

Considering classical antiquity only refers to the west and perhaps the Levant/Asia minor and some parts of Northen Africa than there was NO NEED to specify the west in my post

lolbertarians everyone

they didn't have AR-15s so no

>What's wrong with the language you speak?
It's the language of filthy Anglo scum, for one.

>You didn't specify the west in your original post hoenstly and youre just saying that now.
Uhhh...

>Americano-European
>not Euro-American

>Jesus Christ not yet born
>no salvation
Trash

>christianity
>boring
oh man, you don't know what you're missing, read some shit about the angels

Not him, but the point flew completely over your head bro.

muh relijun

And they weren't that wrong. Most heavy objects fall faster because of how air resistance works.

It ain't pretty and its riddled with odd quirks, but overall it's functional, practical and easy to pick up, making it a perfect language for trade and commerce.

If you don't like it don't speak it, and leave business to the grown ups

Way to completely miss the point

>You mean Christianity? The most boring religion on Earth?
Well that's just, like, your opinion man

>Christmas is a commercial disaster with no meaning anymore.
I know lots of Christians who don't put a tree in their house or buy gifts, and on Christmas they go to church and they have a nice dinner and they spend the day in quiet contemplation and prayer

We live in an era where meaning is something you make for yourself, and there aren't any morality police to boss you around and tell you how to think like there was in ancient Rome.

"life was harsh" is a meme
most people lived comfortable lives, which is why the pax romana is significant, few citizens being sent to battle, fewer slaves to be added to slave population

No, the 90s where.
They were the end all height of human culture, comfort and achievement, and we've been backsliding ever since.

What's the source of that image?

The only important point.

t. Alpha

>most people lived comfortable lives,
no, a minority of them did. And it was not sustainable and it all came crashing down like a fragile house of cards in the 3rd century.

the author's name is right there at the top
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Durant

The time of House Osman and the Ottoman empire was the most based period in the history of humanity and Rome.
>Amazing Art and Architecture. With beautiful Poetry and Harems filled with balkan women decorating cities.
>The birth of Blood taxes, advanced Astronomy and Geography
>Ottoman Sunnism
>Holidays that atually meant something, like Leyl ul qadir
>The Turkish Safavid Persia was an actually interesting place
>Amazing wonders like the Ayasofya, Topkapı Palace and the great Holy House of Bursa
>Turkic as the most spoken language
>The age of amazing military generals like Mehmed II, Suleiman the Magnificent and Osman I
>Balkans were actually interesting with amazing cities like Sarajevo, Sofia and Yânya

I want to live there so badly. It hurts, /osman/. It hurts so much.

>Forge an Empire
>Rule it as a Civil State

Man, those Romans and their retarded aversion to reforms. Had they realized this sooner and not been so dogged about it in order to maintain the status quo in meaningless power games, we might still be worshiping Saturnus. Yet to be fair, this wasn't really possible with the Equites constantly messing things up with their greed and seeding of corruption. If there's a truth to /pol/s Jewish stereotyping, they learned all they know from the Equites.

>he doesn't drink posca
It's your own fault if you shit yourself to death you uneducated barbarian.

>North Africa
>Interesting today
Yes it's incredible, filled with wars and opression, cool ass place.

>classical antiquity
>Pax Romana
>Julius Caesar
>Alexander the Great
You do realize that timeframe is around 1 thousand years right. In that time you have devastating civil wars in both the Roman empire and the Greek empire and the decline and fall of Rome. The majority of people were not wealthy land owners or philosophers, they were slaves or citizens. Your fat ass probably couldn't make it as a soldier so you'd have to plow a field for a super rich land owner your entire life. Yeah that sounds amazing.

Pax Romana is a Gibbon meme that needs to die.

In any case, the late Republic was richer per capita. People born during that time were taller than those born during "pax" Romana.

I do recognize it's extremely practical, more so than any other language I know.

In fact, it would be my favorite language if it wasn't the language of the Anglo scum.

Seconded. I'm an atheist, and I don't really like most Christians, but Christianity as a whole is pretty damn interesting. I reckon it's mostly the Greek influence, though.

Let me share my dream with you Veeky Forums.
My dream is to be a Roman General after
Tiberius' rule has come to an end.

After enjoying great sucess in the campaigns in Germania and Hispania, inaugurating the era of Pax Romana, I am assigned to lead the garrison in Egypt. The entire Empire knows and respects my name.

There, I meet this beautiful Greek-Egyptian qt. She is smitten by my imposing physique, my square jaw and my aquiline Roman nose, by my stern attitude and stoic way of living. Her family, eager to improve their social standing, encourages the marriage and its consumation.

With only 14 years of age, she becomes my bride. My tour is ended, and we move with her family in tow back to Rome.

While in Rome, I become embroiled in politics. I realize that if Rome and its legacy is to endure, the Republic and its civic virtues must be restored. I befriend numerous senators, who encourage me to take power, knowing I am the only person capable of inspiring and galvanizing the people.

I contact my former comrades-in-arms from the old campaigns, and we stage a military coup with flawless precision, ending the debauchery of Caligula and his corrupt rule.

I am proclaimed Emperor to a standing ovation of the Roman people. After moving to brutally consolidate my power and purge my enemies, I work hard to restore Rome to its glory. Meritocracy is enforced in the public service, the gladiatorial games are banned, taxes are lowered, the bureaucracy is streamlined, the border is fortified against barbarian incursions, the currency is protected against debasing and its gold content fixed by law. With newfound stability, the poor aclaim me as their saviour, while patricians proclaim me Cives Andronicus, the living embodiment of Roman civic virtue against the corruption that stood before me.

Nearing my deathbed, I free all political prisioners, give up power and restore the Republic to its glory. I die happy, as the best and last Emperor Rome ever had.

man your such a faggot

PRE-SOCRATIC GREECE

>Anglo or Anglo supporter
>can't even write proper English