Persuade me not to buy an 86 without just saying "it's slow"

persuade me not to buy an 86 without just saying "it's slow"

ive been looking at a used frs with ~30k miles as my first non-hand-me-down car, i just want something that's fun to drive, practical and looks good. speed isn't really too important to me as i dont plan on drag racing people often and if i do feel like its too slow i can boost it in the future when i come into more money.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7TFdATLqETU
superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/0708-sccp-1985-toyota-corolla-gts-ae86/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if it suits your needs and you like it, get it.

It's still faster than what most of Veeky Forums drives anyway.

Because it's slow is a big deal. It's marketed as a sports car that's slower than a van. For a tiny bit more money you can get way better cars. Or, if used, dozens of better cars. That being said, you want it, go buy it. Even boosting it won't make it fast. It will make it tolerable. The car is only "fun" on a track where you have free reign to do what you want. On the street it will feel weak and nowhere near as fun as many other cars.

You aren't alone, I would love to get my hands on an 86, but they are still too new and expensive. Wait about 2 years and you can probably get one for a more reasonable price. (That's my plan).

Always got the choice of doing an engine swap ;) (if you have the money).

This car isn't for you if you want to go fast in a straight line.

This car may be for you if you like pushing your car to the max around curves.

If you're into handling, you'll enjoy it.

A skoda VRS is cheaper. Faster. Almost as fun. More practical. And comes in an Estate version.

I don't see why not, I've been seeing plenty of lightly used examples for relatively good prices now days

>buying a new car to do an engine swap.

That's fucking retarded.

>speed isn't really too important to me as i dont plan on drag racing people often

daily driving is where you actually want more power though. I drive a slow "sports car" and it makes me feel sad when I have to rev the shit out of my car and shift quickly just to keep up with a camry or accord in every day driving

spbp

Plan on FI to make it average and so that you don't get passed by camreys on the interstate.

A fucking golf gti is faster and cheaper

lmao 86 and brz is for fags

Just do it, everyone who says it's slow is just parroting what they read on here, thinks 0-60 times actually matter, or has never driven anywhere other than their highways or local streets.
200hp or whatever goes to the wheels is way faster than what 95% of people need
Just get it my dude, it's a great first second-car or sports car or whatever

The 86 is a disgrace to its own name. The car was never designed to be akin to the AE86, but after Scion was discontinued, it was named the 86 as a cheap cash-in on the ending of Initial D and the hype around it. They even had the gall to try to advertise their car using the fucking series, they shoved appearances of it into the final episodes of Fifth Stage and in Legend 3.

And they're still doing this fucking bullshit. Look at this shameless cash-grabbing youtube.com/watch?v=7TFdATLqETU

The car has no merits on its own to stand on. It's success is purely due to riding on the coattails of Initial D.

I would honestly suggest taking a look at a miata as well, not the gay old looking one but the slightly newer ones.

They're really fun to drive and if not faster than a 86, atleast they're more peppy which enhances the overall drive feel

>The car was never designed to be akin to the AE86, but after Scion was discontinued, it was named the 86 as a cheap cash-in on the ending of Initial D and the hype around it
The prototype was called the FT-86 way back in 2009

>cash grab using initial d
>success is purely due to riding on the coattails of Initial D
lmao, you sound mad. initial d is not as popular as you think

The AE86 is less popular and especially less relevant for the time than Initial D.

I DD a 86 and I don't see why not. Being realistic, it's really good for DD. Still faster than most of the cars on the street and you can also push it harder on corners. The insurance cost is reasonable cheap, mpg is quite good for a sport car. Trunk is big enough to carry a bunch of shit, even bigger when you fold the back seats down. Yes it's slow don't drag race people.

Buy it. I'd love to have an FR-S. My cousin just bought a new 86 earlier this week and it's pretty sweet. I'm mad jelly.

Anyway if you feel that it's too slow then buy the Open Flash headers and tablet combo and tune for E85. That'll give you about 30whp for only $1055.

>American who thinks the whole world works like it does in America and literally has no idea about anything concerning foreign cars or their heritage, even in recent years

>200hp
>1230kg
>semi-leather interior
>double wishbone suspension in the rear
>6 speed manual with a 4.1 final drive

Don't listen to Veeky Forums and just get it.

Just get the new Civic Si.

>front
>wheel
>drive

fucking kill yourself

degenerate

The new 86 is a cross between the toyota 2000gt and the ae86...hence why the body is a roadster style. But the reason everyone thinks it is slow but its really a good car is akin to the ae86

You sound like a poor benchracer who has to watch people buy cars instead of buying cars yourself. The 86s are slow, yeah, but they handle great. But I know how it is. Most of you guys can only drive in a siraight line, and due to the fact that you are a one dimensional driver, you project your handling impotency on the machines.

If you had 200hp, or 2000, you would still be shit. You might as well ride the bus, senpai.

>i just want something that's fun to drive, practical and looks good.
Spend a little bit more (or go slightly older/more miles) and get a WRX instead. Real back seats, loads more room, AWD, equal or greater performance potential.

Toyobaru a shit. Even V6 Mustangs put it to shame- disgraceful.

desu most people hate the new 86 for being "look faster than it is". I understand they designed it with 2+2 seats for insurance reason, but if the car comes out with only 2 seats, smaller dimension and less busy design, shit must be a god machine

I swear this thread is full of bots just spewing the same bs over and over. FAKE NEWS

>The 86s are slow, yeah, but they handle great
No, they fucking don't. They don't handle well enough to make up for their other inadequacies because they've got Macpherson front suspension. Even the fucking AE86 had double wishbone front suspension, but they couldn't put that on this car because of the retarded choice of the flat 4 engine not lending enough room for double wishbones.

That's the ultimate failure of the car. They could have put in a straight 4, or even a fucking V4, and wound up with a better car because it'd at least have double wishbone suspension in the front and back so that it actually has something to celebrate.

The ae86 had double wishbone suspension in the front? Have you ever seen one? Bench racer indeed.

So sad, ppl in this thread wish they knew cars

haha, AE86 with double wishbone front end.

>degenerate detected

Ae86 had macpherson strut fronts buddy.

Struts dont equal double wishbone suspension fag

I've had mine for a year. Do it. Ignore the busriders and benchracers.

>without just saying "it's slow"
how about I just say minivans are faster

hp
kg
>>semi-leather interior
>>double wishbone suspension in the rear
speed manual with a 4.1 final drive
Implying any of that means anything without context

superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/0708-sccp-1985-toyota-corolla-gts-ae86/

You should read a little bit before slinging around insults. Especially when you're wrong. Faggot.

>i just want something that's fun to drive, practical and looks good

Here's your context, found in OP.

It's one of those things, and just barely at that.

They've got almost no storage space, so it's less practical as a DD, but it's definitely the best alternative.
Inb4 HURR DURR SPEND 10GRAND MORE FOR A CAMARO KEK KEK KEK .

yuropoor shitbox

mr-s driver here
You just have to think about how much faster you can rip up your local backroad

You'll look like every other fuckboi

it's slow

doesn't change anything when 99% of the time i'm just daily commuting and actively trying to keep up with traffic

Sounds like it's the perfect car for you.

They're so damn fun to drive you forget about the lack of power

>people bitching about the 200hp
>mfw I've been driving a 90hp shitbox for 20 years

yeah, slow, haha...

Is slow in the straight and in the track. lmao a piece of shit v6 Mustang with live rear axle destroys a BRZ at the track and in every other aspect.

>in his classic Toyota AE86 Corolla

kek'd

even Toyota knows that the AE86 was a piece of shit

reminder that to beat the 86 in moms minivan they had to use the auto (a second slower) and get a minivan with almost 100bhp more than the 86.

If i raced a mustang against something with twice the power, beat it and spammed HAHA AMERICA A SHIT you'd all be crying into your cheeseburgers.

OP if you want one, test drive it. if you like it, buy it. If you genuinly, honestly base your opinions and car purchases on fucking Veeky Forums of all places, then kill yourself.

enjoy!

It's not the most practical thing in the world but I haven't needed go use my girlfriends SUV often. The problem with boost is that the engine already has a high compression rate and most components go boom past 350whp. The transmission will explode past 400 and the clutch might go past 300. I can suggest a header and tune and some good summer tires.

>"hey guys i'm looking for a sporty RWD"
>"here's a FWD station wagon"
you're a special kind of retard, aren't you

Subarus are for fucking faggots. Buy American muscle you dirty little fuccboi.

>persuade me not to buy an 86
I can't. Best purchase I've ever made. I might even go as far as saying it has changed my life.

Because it made you gay

>t. Miata driver

Shh, you might offend the beta weebs who are too poor to afford any car, much less the super American vehicle.

>if i do feel like its too slow i can boost it in the future when i come into more money.

>6k for turbo kit
>3k for internals to handle boost
>2k for machine work

buy a different car it isn't worth it.

>200hp

170whp

>semi leather interior

big fucking whoop

>double wishbone

3k civics have double wishbone

>six speed manual

what manual today doesn't have 6 speed?

...do people actually read or watch initial d?

I have never met someone in real life who has. Even I haven't since it's so fuckng boring. It's dumb to say they'd use this as a marketing strategy in America when that manga isn't even popular here in the slightest.

Supercharging it is cheaper and easier done...

The car was called 86 everywere on this planet and sold as a toyota long before scion was killed

Looks ugly.

How the fuck am i wrong you dumbass. Just cause fhe car has macpherson struts stock doesnt mean it has a double wishbone setup. Do you even know what a wishbone looks like? Please show the wishbone on an ae86.

pretty much everybody on this board has seen the anime

you'll be admitting you're a manlet.

i haven't because anime is for pedophiles.

It sounds really disappointing stock but you could probably dump money into an exhaust and tune on a brand new car. It has literally zero presence when starting up or taking off and that's compared to my fifteen year old civic that is a single second slower to 60 mph. It would be pretty embarrassing getting passed and overtaken by a new honda or toyota commuter car though, they're all pretty much faster than the 86 other than the honda fit.

What car do you drive? Reving the shit out of cars is part of what makes driving fun. Maybe you need a car that makes peak power at 4k?

But then you are stuck with a GTI

Most people are here can't even reach the limits of the stock suspension on public roads

Either you don't know how to drive or you own an 80s Honda

>that nice garage
>that slow piece of shit riced out in there.

>THAT WING
bawhahahahaha, you don't go fast enough to use that. Literal rice.

Yeah I'm not a fan of big wings either personally. It's better than fwd cars with huge wings though

It's really slow

its not even slow. internet memers need to get beat up i s2g

I DD a ND Miata and while storage space isn't great, it still hasn't been a problem for me.

Also OP, depending on where you live, it night be better to get the Subaru BRZ. It's definitely more well equipped than the 86 in the US unless you go for the base model.

Or get the model that i got and you are good to go

who cares, its fast and well handling enough to do incredebly well in races with a good driver and teach a bad driver to become better in a fun car.

>MUH MUH BURGERKING TIMEs
fuck you you have never been in a race hve you?`Literally the last thing that matters is your car.
gt86 is plenty fast in the right hands. Benchrace all you want, things you see on paper dont matter in real life in the slightest. Only thing that matters is do you have fun or not.
Unless youre a top top tier race driverr in which case you know anyway how retarded benchracers are.

I destroyed a v8 stang in a shitty 100hp stanced corolla on the track by 4 seconds.
A stock ford puma destroyed a goddamn GTR and ls1 SC swapped e46 driven by pro drifter on the same track by miles.
Laptimes are worth jack shit. Your retarded busrider opinions even less.

even the accord coupes are fwd

Its just fun to drive.

While shitty fwd sporty hothatches have more power these days they drive like shit.

Except you could have had a BRZ with the performance package for less than your 860 that has no bbk and no upgraded struts

Just buy an e55 amg for 13-15k and fix it up for a few grand and profit

>golf gti

enjoy your torque steer

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You being retarded on purpose?

Because the overall value proposition is fucking garbage. Think about it objectively for a minute. You're paying for a sporty looking light-weight coupe (you are sacrificing speed, interior room, general utility, etc...) in exchange for nothing. The car isn't fast - that is the issue. You should not be making the above compromises for nothing. Getting a GT-R? Fine. But a 205 horsepower meme mobile? Waste of money.

There are much better options available.

>There are much better options available
For 25k new, what do you suggest?

honda hrv

Fit>HRV

Do it OP, they're fun and they look good

VW Sportwagen.

>just buy a fucking brand new BRZ and tune it
>yea fuck that 3 year warranty

>VW

The BRZ is so good out of the box, there is no need to mod it aside from tires in the first 3 years of ownership

Tires won't get your warranty voided

I know

The power will let you down eventually. Especially with DD, you're gunna have to drag the gears out to keep up with traffic. Depending on where you live too in the winter time it's gunna be a bitch to drive, specially if it drops a ton of snow, you aint going anywhere. Next to no space, there are back "Seats" but the only thing you'll fit back there is like 3 grocery bags if you're lucky. I'd have a look at 350/370s and even the Genesis Coupe. The genesis can be had for cheap and the V6 sounds nice with some pipes, the turbo has the beginnings of a decent little machine too.

Or just buy a used STI and be better in every way shape and form.

>Genesis Coupe
I feel like this car is often too forgotten. The 3.8 track edition gives you some pretty good performance and its very affordable. I guess the Hyundai badge keeps people away?