I've got a job interview coming up for a sales position at a GM dealer. I have no sales experience...

I've got a job interview coming up for a sales position at a GM dealer. I have no sales experience. How should I get ready?

Uh...don't do any hard drugs for at least two hours before the interview?

I dunno, I worked at a gm dealership and they hired pretty much everyone who wanted to be a salesperson

>New car sales

enjoy your 70 hour weeks, paying back your draw, and weak commissions. Honestly run away, I tried this one summer during my college years, and yea it fucking blows. You end up making fucking less than minimum wage with how many hours you work.

Then you gotta deal with the one 40-50 year old who's sat on his fat ass doing this his whole life and bitches anytime anyone else gets a sale

You can make money doing it but...yeah, It's going to suck big fucking time for a beginner. Dealerships also know most people they hire aren't going to make it, and take advantage of this by basically working them to death and exploiting them any way they can.

If you can get passed this, and got a good head on your shoulder and are genuinely willing to learn all aspects of the business, and work your ass off you can definitely make a good career out of it. Of course if you have that attitude, you can probably make it anywhere....but w/e.

learn how to btfo ford fanboys

A salesweasel catches what they eat, you don't catch anything, you don't eat. So they're not going to be too picky about who shows up wanting to be one. If you swim, they keep you and if you sink, well...

I will say this though. If you can make a living selling on commission, you can make a living selling anything else on commission too. You'll never have to worry about being laid off or not having a job. That cat out in the barn has her freedom, doesn't have to do what Farmer Bob says, but she does have to catch the mice.

>Then you gotta deal with the one 40-50 year old who's sat on his fat ass doing this his whole life and bitches anytime anyone else gets a sale

very true i hate those guys and every dealership usually has them

>bring smack
>???
>profit

There was always more than a few drunks and addicts at any dealership I worked at

Last dealership I was at a salesman tried to get me into a pyramid scheme.

No that's a payment plan. Its how you pay back the bank for the car they give you.

honestly how the fuck do car sales people even make money?

The words of someone who couldn't hack it.

Eh...it's really not that hard to make money at if, if you got a good work ethic and are willing to work and learn.

That's generally not who the job attracts though.

I gave it a pretty honest effort for months and honestly I felt like I was just getting fucked

I got into working on PLC's for manufacturing companies and I make way more money and work way less hours

Just tell them you're a gigantic liar and a piece of shit and have no morals.

You'll fit right in.

>pretty honest effort

Any sales experience teaches you a lot, so you're getting more value out of your job than if you're just in some warehouse. Don't listen to the naysayers, it's worth trying.

My sales job lasted a year, it was over the phone, which is harder than face to face selling. I was in over my head.

Read Joe Girard and SPIN Selling Fieldbook, probably the best 2 sales books on my shelf. Claude Whitacre has an awesome book for new salespersons on Amazon for I think $2.99

I don't understand English but who about was he is referring about?

basically what he means is someone who has worked in the car business a long time and is older will bitch and moan if a younger new salesmen is getting any leads or sales which is 100% true usually at any dealership there is that one guy that does that shit.

about the 50 year old about sales guy about

Every dealership you go to there will be the guy who learned the ropes, and struggled till everyone else around him quit. Then he just sits around and gets all the leads because auto sales has a fuck huge turnover rate. Then basically any new kid who enters the dealership has to walk on egg shells around them because most boomers are the scum of the Earth when it comes to entitlement.

The way they see it the new guy is going to quit anyways, so why does he get sales when they could be going to the most senior person who has stayed.

Which is worse - being in sales having to meet your monthly numbers or being a tech in service on flat rate?

Basically this. I took a job P/T at one expecting it to be shit. I was in school so I just wanted to sit in air conditioning all day and be around cars. Basically my 1st 2 months in.
>Guy quits because he doesn't want to train me
>Another guy quit because his friend quit
>Finally a guy trains me
>End up getting more sales than him and got some fancy bonus
>ends up quitting
>Finally its just me and the guy who owns the dealership
>get promoted
>Still in school though
>Cant do the 80 hours a week he wants as lead salesman
>Get fired

I told him to get bend and knocked over a brochure stand but ended up picking it up when he left the room. It was mostly for theatrics .
>I NEVAAA HURRTT NOBODY
>WHY YOU GOTTA HURT ME

I was pulling in a lot of people too. I was selling like 3 cars a month and that was a guarantee .

13*

>working as a car salesman
LOL congrats on literally being the bottom tier of workers. Gardeners make more money and work less hours. KYS.

>Get laid off from old job
>Take first thing I get
>Use to do sales in my younger days so whatever car sales won't be hard
>Get on a local Kia dealership that supposedly shoves out huge numbers
>"yuh uh we need salesman cause itz gonna be summa and we need more peepole to make sales"
>Sure I can do that, sounds like easy money
>Top two dudes literally do everything they can to keep others from getting sales
>One guy is in his 40's, use to be a cop, and is the biggest cry baby on Earth
>I get a sale on a day he is working, and he went to management saying that I cut him off
>Him and other dude try to give me shit the rest of the time there
>I basically just tell the dude to fuck off
>He goes and whines to management again because I have a "bad attitude"
>I get stripped of all my leads
>Still sell 9 cars off of people just walking onto the lot
>Have a meeting with the sales manager about this
>Basically tells me that I gotta watch my mouth to the dude who steals sells away from everyone else
>I tell them to fuck off and never go back

Honestly if the culture would've been better I could've made bank, I raked in 3K in commissions in one month on 9 cars, and they were mostly used. So my advice is go into used car sales because that's where you can still get some meat on the bone. New car sales all you'll get is roughly $150 per sale.

I actually like garden.

I'm no blue collar wagecuck though, but if I did become one I'd do gardening

OP here, I'm also an engineering student so I'm just looking for something to help pay the bills and fill in the big gap forming in my employment history.

Undergrad research assistant.

Sales Manager here.

As long as there is an open office, you're hired.

If you're good, you're going to make $50k your first year and want to quit, and then $100k your next year and never look back.

I don't have the marks for it.

It makes you wonder if these car manufacturers would make more money if they got rid of all their dealers and just sold direct to the public...

Go to Bad Dragon and get the largest dragon dildo you can find. Buy it, and once it arrives, drop your pants, spread your cheeks wide as possible, and ram the dildo up your ass without any lube. Also don't forget the crystal meth.

Tesla seems to do fine doing direct sales

Hell the best GM ever did was back when Saturn did their no haggle factory pricing, and it basically just turned their dealerships into any other store so there wasn't as much dicking around

Wow. How the hell did the sun burn that weird-ass turtle shape onto her shoulder? Is this the power of melanoma?

what kind of dealership was it? 13 a month is kinda meh but depends on car brand imo

I think this goes for most jobs that don't require a college degree or any type of specialized education/training. It took me a long time to get mine along the way I worked in construction, retail, and food service and there were employees selling and using drugs at every place

>tattoos
would fuck probably but would never date/pay for anything for her

NADA has a powerful lobby in DC that wont allow this to happen. I wish it would happen, though. I've wanted/needed a new car for the past three years but I continue to drive my hunk of shit because I detest the process of buying a new car.