/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.
Report and ignore it.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, April 21th:
238 – Year of the Six Emperors: The Roman Senate outlaws emperor Maximinus Thrax for his proscriptions in Rome and nominates two of its members, Pupienus and Balbinus, to the throne.
1529 – Treaty of Zaragoza divides the eastern hemisphere between Spain and Portugal along a line 297.5 leagues or 17° east of the Moluccas.
1809 – The second day of the Battle of Eckmühl: The Austrian army is defeated by the First French Empire army led by Napoleon and driven over the Danube in Regensburg.
1836 – Texas Revolution: A day after the Battle of San Jacinto, forces under Texas General Sam Houston identify Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna among the captives of the battle when one of his fellow captives mistakenly gives away his identity.

>News
EU4 Mandate of Heaven is out.

>Random Country Picker
randomcountry.gbasood.net/

# Archive (mods only)
mega.nz/#F!plMxFYTB!sn9MTrvJ0tYjWSHgM8CZow

#Where to get these games
hastebin.com/raw/moqugasume

# Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[HoI4] - More Music Mod
mega.nz/#F!v5wXURpJ!TvoBinBVQWJbaYJsluyoFA

>>[HoI3] - Flavormod
mega.nz/#F!GBByDSgS!9ia87JfAeOQgADjGq9y4hw

>>[CK2] - user Music Mod
mega.nz/#!vIQnEZJK!5YCtpPMElgZJ3DDaVSaxJqEGym87SKZxfx-uKVwZmqM

>>[CK2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.6.1 - 27/11/2016
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V10
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

>>[V2]Africa Mod
pastebin.com/kyMpRZcQ

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_II_of_Brazil
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Józef_Piłsudski
youtu.be/G4OozdprIFc?list=PL9zpWiBUWhJRHhi8sgkvTa33IWEndkTsG&t=419
mediafire.com/file/do1d58422v4mnqr/Ad Lucem.7z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

La Plata

unHPM please come back

Repeating my question here.
What's the obsession with playing tall in EU4? I'm not talking about the people who don't have any other option but to play tall because they're boxed in by greater powers or those who are just roleplaying, I'm talking about those who play a free city in the HRE because it's the best for playing tall or purposefully keep Prussia small to keep militarism at max.

To be able to play tall is a solution to a problem, it shouldn't be what you're striving for.

Hearts of Iron IV is a good game.

Playing tall is fun, less shit to deal with while you're still reasonably strong. It's still the best in CK2 though.

blobbing is bad
the only way not to blob is to play tall

R&I has forsaken us

What´s the problem the rest of Italy and the Emperor have with Milan changing their government? Do they really have to be so autistic about them not having a monarch anymore? Over half of Italy is already filled with other republics.

I don't know. When I play, I roleplay-ish and I find a natural-ish blobbing goal for my nation, and try to play tall as well.

But there are definitely some autists who think blobbing is a curse and should be illegal. Why I'm sure I don't know, but their odium for it seem endless.

I remember helping him with country names.

>this is the ideal play and zenith of aesthetic borders according to user 174782579

Should I abolish slavery?

This doesn't even include belgium and half of france, what the fuck

>implying upsetting the balance of power is bad
Also you know it threatens every other duchy right
Just like the French Revolution

Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note

Please add Paedophile Pirates

Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note
Soryuu take note

Well if you play germany then a nice blob is really fun. I wouldn't create those specific boarders tho.

It's a work in progress, friend.

>Didn't own half of France and puppet the rest.
>Didn't annex Dutch
>Didn't annex Belgium
>Didn't annex Denmark
>Didn't even annex Swiss.
And you dare call this thing a blob?

hey guys I'mbored, let's have a discussion
Who are your favorite figures in your country's history ? Why ?
Not trolling, I just genuinely want to learn some cool stuff.

>1864

*5000 years harder*
I can tell you a bunch of people I hate but favorite figures are few and far between

>Who are your favorite figures in your country's history ?
All my history leader in my country are either reckless 'honorable' stupid or traitor who sell his own country for comfy chair in a castle.

Bismarck and the Hohenstaufens. Two golden ages and awesome men right here.

>posting reddit content

Pls respond.

Generally I do. Mainly because a lot of potential slave provinces have the chance to produce gold or ivory instead.

I'm talking about Vicky2 tho.

Oh. Yeah, sure. Those pops can become farmers, which can in-turn upgrade into factory worker pops.

Why does my game randomly stop doing cheevos
I'm logged in in the launcher, my computer is connected to wifi, I have no DLC on, it loaded cheevos last time

Ok, thanks.

Hohenstaufens were absolutely based.
I'm sorry to say my choices couldn't get more vanilla
Du Guesclin
Henry IV
Louis XIV
Napoleon

Not François I tho, he was an idiot who shoudl had listened to La Palice before trying to blob so much in taly.

Thinking of doing a Germany run in EU4, but I don't want to do it as Grossprusseniums. I think I'd rather like to try it as Bavaria or as one of the West German countries that can form Westphalia.

What would be a good non-Prussian German country to try this as? (inb4 Ulm)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_II_of_Brazil

The one good leader in the entire history of my country.

That they where. And nothings wrong with vanilla. Your country had great men too, except for the revolutiany period before Napoleon.

And on the topic of the Hohenstaufens, what was your kings name during the crusade? I heard he went too, but isn´t talked about all that much.

Switzerland, Bavaria, Lübeck. Or one of the guys that can form Hannover/Westphalia.

>implying the Terror wasn't based

Isn't the French Election today?

this motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Józef_Piłsudski
straight out of some fantasy book, just look at this fucking titles

Yeah, the French election is ongoing as we speak.

They had good intentions, but went nuts after a while. Power corrupts.

They are? What´s the situation?

HELLO IS THERE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO MOD EU4 ESPECIALLY MAP/SHADERS, 5 MINUTES OF WORK TOPS

totally forgot about them frenchies
wonder if pen wins

unHPM was the only man ever to enter this general with honest intentions

Four-way race at this point.

1) Centrist guy who's come out of nowhere
2) French Republican dude who's got some controversies
3) Marine Le Pen, a right-wing candidate whose dad was widely regarded as Literally Hitler
4) Melenchon, widely considered to be a dirty commie

French elections work on a two-round system. First round is open, second round is a runoff between #1 and #2.

It's widely believed that Le Pen is going to finish in the top two in the first round, so most speculation has been about who her competitor has going to be. Melenchon is considered to be the nightmare-scenario opponent by EU fans, since both Melenchon and Le Pen hate the EU. The centrist guy is the one most widely expected to get into the top two alongside Le Pen, though.

This happened to me once too. I didn't recall doing anything that should change it. But as I have understood, this can actually occur if the game autosaves at a moment when you have no internet connection, so even if you have a good wifi connection, maybe it was a moment at which you didn't have a connection?

Otherwise, did you do something with DLCs, tampering with savefiles or anything at all? I don't know. When it happened to me I was sure I had done nothing. It may just be bugged.

In any rate, there is no helping you. It has happened and you can't fix it. The savefile is ruined forever, sorry to say it.

The intention to have fun?

Knowing modern day election, that Centrist guy will definitely win.

Thanks GermanBro, your country is amazing too! (I'm learning your language at the moment). I wish we could have stopped fighting earlier and ruled the world together.
I'm assuming you mean the second crusade ? Louis VIII the Cuck, who went there with Conrad III. Refused to help hix uncle, try to invade Damas, got rekt, rashed the country, no survivors.

Yes, first turn. Fuck everything.
is right, I'll add that I can stand the First candidate (Macron) at all. Litterally a strawman.

Whilst the shogun feared the French moving from Africa into Asia, he happily traded with the colonists in Columbia, even being baptised

>>>/reddit/

I didn't know about this guy, this is amazing kek.

I'm a big WWII and WWI history buff so most of my knowledge and historical figures come from that period...

William Slim,
Dougie Haig
Maj. Gen. Robert Urquhart
Lt. Gen Brian Horrocks
Montgomery

HELLO IS THERE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO MOD EU4 ESPECIALLY MAP/SHADERS, 5 MINUTES OF WORK TOPS

can someone recommend a god byzantium strategy for D&T? ottomans invade me a year into the game

ya hit me up

I kind of want Melenchon and Le Pen to get in, it'd be funny as fuck to have a literal unapologetic communist and a lighter version of fascist in the running.

Kill yourself you fucking faggot

Same honestly. I find Mélenchon being close to 20% especially hilarious.

there this ad lucem mod, worked pre 1.18 perfectly but then creator abandoned it ignoring any means of contact. only thing that is wrong with it is that map modes are not working - every single one is terrain mapmode. could you look into it? its one of the best eu4 mods and its still shit game
also i found out file behind the error is pdxmap or pdxmesh but i think its the former, deleting it just fuckes up whole map

What are the results like right now, is there any result at all or have they not started counting

They won't start counting for a few hours more. It's like 3pm or so in France.

What´s the better option to attack after AE dies down? I can get Genoa after 1490 I think, but I have to go through the Papal States to reach the now independent Napels. I have an truce with all my other neighbors.

No, thank you. I meant the guy that went with Richard and Frederick barbarossa. And it´s a massive shared history I´m proud of. We indeed shouldn´t have fought all that much.

No results until tonight.

Where do you download this? It isn't on the workshop or the forums.

Oh sorry. That was Phillipe Auguste. Yep, he went there to banter with Richard, got AIDS, went back to France.
After that he proceeded to BTFO the english out of France. Something violent.

There is no possible way in EU4 that Spain can colonize the things it did IRL in the time it did IRL. Even if you are playing with 4 colonists, there is no fucking way you can have colonized Mexico, the Caribbean, Peru, La Plata, New Grenada and the Philippines by the year 1540. Totally impossible.

If history can't be replayed in the game, that means the game is bad.

Then play it for the ahistorical scenario user. It´s just as much fun if not more.

Is that a challenge?

Why is france allied to so fucking many?

in honour of today's elections

You can try but it will make you broke, because you'll need to have +10 colonies at the same time, and that costs a shitton of money. Maybe if colonies were not so expensive to mantain, it'd be more plausible

There's only one question. Does bankruptcy still affect colony growth?

>muh history
i actually got christopher fucking colombus as an explorer playing as denmark. but hey look! your colonial range is too small and your vassals' ports cannot be used to colonize!

he ended up dying of fucking diarrhea, never even getting to explore a single province. it took multiple decades for the "colonial range" tech to increase just enough for me to learn about the atlantic ocean.

tl;dr if you seek fun or historical accuracy uninstall.exe

I think it could be doable if America had more tribes as nations, conquering instead of colonizing is faster.

I think I overextended, I need to free some colonies to reduce infamy and eat more France

Oh, this is totally doable. You are bullshitting.

EU4 is pure garbage. Victoria 2 is far better, because you can actually create and maintain historical borders that way.

They have talked about history vs game balance many times. They want to give the game as much historical accuracy as possible, but they take some liberties so that they can balance the game more. Spain would certainly have been way too OP if they could do all of that so fast.

It's possible to earn infinite money using a trick with loans and the modifiers interest per annum. youtu.be/G4OozdprIFc?list=PL9zpWiBUWhJRHhi8sgkvTa33IWEndkTsG&t=419

>it's possible to earn infinite money
Yes, but you need to conquer third of the world before you can do it.
Not really a viable strategy for this one.

If extra colonies beyond the number of colonists you have didn't increase in price exponentially and were instead linearly more expensive, it might be able to be done.

Sustaining 12 colonies at 24 gold a month is possible if you're a country that's recently come into possession of a lot of gold. 12 colonies at 2050 gold a month is impossible.

mediafire.com/file/do1d58422v4mnqr/Ad Lucem.7z

12 colonies at 24 ducats a month is not "linearly more expensive". It's the same price for all of them.

>Historical start

Yeah you just start the game with everything colonized right?

Exactly. If you construct a graph where the X-axis is "number of colonies" and the Y-axis is "total maintenance cost," you would see the two exhibit a linear relationship.

I am just looking at the map of what's colonized at the year, moron. I'm not saying this is my save.

You know they conquered more than colonised

You are fucking retarded.

But that is the fucking historical start...

You two, be nice. What have gotten you so mad today? Is one of you the guy whose ironman save got wrecked?

I am looking at what was HISTORICALLY colonized by Spain at 1540 according to the historical start and judging whether doing the same thing is possible when starting in 1444. Are you fucking dumb or what?

He was just checking what he needed to colonize.

I think a more suitable method to represent massive swathes of European claims to areas would be a "declaration of claim" mechanism to replace or supplement the Treaty of Tordesillas mechanic.

That is, you'd spend some bird mana to declare a particular colonial region which you've discovered to be your exclusive party ground, and other countries trying to colonise that territory would incur a massive relationship penalty with you or some other maluses. AI allies would almost always steer clear of claimed territories, while AI rivals might colonise them just to spite you. The AI would also be more likely to respect these claims if their capital is on the same continent as your capital (so Europeans will respect one-another's claims, while Asians won't give a fuck about what the Europeans agree to amongst themselves).

In this way, the game could represent how, for example, the British laid claim to the entire Australian continent in 1770, and went unchallenged in settling the continent from 1788 onwards.

Again, that is not linearly more expensive. That's the same price for every colony.
Linearly more expensive per every extra colony would be ((first number is number of colonies, second number is the limit):
1/3 - 2g/month
2/3 - 4g/month
3/3 - 6g/month
4/3 - 9g/month (first extra costs 3g instead of 2g)
5/3 - 13g/month (first extra costs 3g, second extra costs 4g)
6/3 - 18g/month (3g;4g;5g)
etc.
That is linearly more expensive.

To be fair, the historical map is not historical at all, IIRC the late start dates have lots of ahistorical bullshit, like South America independent when it shouldn't be.
Johann already said that there will be no historical starts for later games, just the Great Campaign start.

You know that's already in the game, right? The colonizer gets bonus to colony growth while other catholics get a huge opinion malus with the claimaint and papal state if they colonize there, and also colony growth malus.

You are fucking retarded. If you start in 1444, there's no way you can colonize that much territory by 1540.

Fucking retarded EU4 baby.

Isn't that easily modded though?