How long until we get a small, affordable electric sports car that's actually good? Pic related looks pretty good...

How long until we get a small, affordable electric sports car that's actually good? Pic related looks pretty good, right? Well, it costs $70,000, produces only 305hp and has a range of 75 miles. I like EVs as an idea (instant power, easier balancing, less maintenance...still miss the engine noise but that's besides the point), but God damn nobody can truly make a good EV sports car. I know EVs are a newer tech in their current form, but don't you think that there would at least be a better car on the market by now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUZmtWsfxwE
youtube.com/watch?v=_Rg75JbVOpg
youtu.be/1IraXA1QNN0?t=102
youtu.be/i7w8UIW6g1Q?t=3m56s
youtu.be/cs81_raO2WM?t=2m28s
youtu.be/N2lEz_caMTw?t=2m18s
evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=233
evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=83
electrek.co/2017/07/04/tesla-electric-motor-update/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I could see someone making a straightforward electric kit for the Factory Five 818. Aside from that it's probably 10 years off or so when an established manufacturer takes a swing at it.

Ugh. I just want to have a sporty cheap EV that I can take drifting and blast the Initial D soundtrack without being drowned out by the engine sound. Is that too much to ask?

You can hope early Tesla Roadster prices drop, they seem to be holding pretty steady though

That actually sounds pretty damn fun desu

>70,000
>not affordable

how poor are you

>Guys we need EV's to stop burning fossil fuel
>Rips an open cut mine to mine Coltan with slave labour

Wouldn't the battery packs in those things be bad by now?

They'll probably be considered a huge piece of "automotive history" (since they're considered the first "true" electric sports car) in the future and the prices will skyrocket once more. Plus what said.
Damn right.
Very, if that's the case.
Never said anything about them being logical. Just fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=mUZmtWsfxwE
Sorry for no footage of ACTUAL drifting, but this is something interesting I found.

Almost all the degradation is going to happen in the first few months after the pack is made. It's not going to become "bad" over time unless it wasn't taken care of.

But how much degradation are we talking about?

Is it easy to drift an electric car (in comparison to your typical manual ICE drift car)?

You sound retarded
>i like a cheap car
>but i want it to be very fast
>and very light
>and i want it to have a big range
>BUT i want it to be electric

Sounds like a fag.

With EV you either pick range or you pick power because of how they work. You cant have both.

Not right now, at least. That's why I made the thread. Batteries are improving and dropping in price.

You dont get it.

Due to the way EV works the car has to be designed with either power or range in mind.

If you want both you are gonna have to cash in a shit ton.

Its like me asking for the perfect car that gets 50 MPG while having 400 HP while being lightweight while having no rust while being sold at under 20k.

Go on the speed Academy channel on YouTube. They have a few videos of a lotus evora with a Tesla drivetrain swap.

Well naturally a more powerful EV will get a lower range, just as a more powerful ICE will get less MPG. But just as engines have been getting both more powerful and efficient over the years, so too will EVs with the advent of better batteries and more efficient drivetrains.

A Mustang Boss 429 back in 1970 produced around 375 horsepower while getting about 13 mpg. A 2016 Mustang GT350 produces 526 horsepower while getting about 20 mpg. Would advances in EV technology not have a similar outcome?

We've had internal combustion engines for over a century and they are still expensive.

Also steel is cheaper than lithium.

Yes. But i am not criticizing technologies advances.

Hell, i still beleive that if more companies pick up rotary engines they would be much better.

But OP is asking for a good MPG good power cheap EV. You know, the vehicle using prototype-tier tech.

That's retarded.

I've seen a couple of those, they're neat. Engines in a good spot to just bolt the motor to the transaxle, and it's a tube frame so there is lots of space for batteries.

I'm the OP and I'm posted . I already understand that you should expect a shitton of range from a sporty EV, but 75 miles for 305 horsepower is just bullshit. Hell, Tesla produces around, what 700? And it still has like a 200 mile range, doesn't it? And it's not exactly a sports car.

Damn I butchered that. I meant to say that you SHOULDN'T expect a shitton of range, not should.

I know that 75 miles is still bullshit. Maybe you can get more if you use KERS and dont get 300 HP all the time.

Still, not every manufacturer will get the same quality or price for everything.

Perfection isn't real. Leave with what you can get.

Don't EVs not need gearboxes due to the nature of electric engines? I'd assume a 5 speed gearbox would be kind of pointless, especially when the Teslas only have one gear. Not to mention EVs are heavy due to their motors and batteries, and the Teslas can only put that power to the wheels because of their weight.

Just Googled it. Tesla P100D can get 600 horsepower, and 300 miles of range. However, it still costs over 100k. And since this is still underdeveloped tech, I imagine in the future specs like these will be a lot cheaper to buy. Perhaps around 400 hp with 200 mile range?

Very little. original roadsters got you 244 miles. Nowadays you're looking at 205-230 or so? depends on the year of mfg and the charge cycles. You can buy new production tesla 300mi+ packs for 29k too. I wouldn't bother though. Even though the battery tech in the early roadsters is "old", it still will last you plenty long.

give it around 4 years or so, and energy density improvements will allow for much lighter EVs.

The nature of the EV. At least the basic electric engine, the kind that exists in your fan, is that there is more torque produced at lower RPM.

The point about gears is to achieve a better use of this torque.

I am still not quite sure how something like Formula E achieves enough torque at high RPM like to propose the removal of the gearbox.

I imagine that would make drifting easier??? With the added benefit of not worrying about gear changes. I wouldn't know, but I'd have to guess.

bump

the more platforms/chassis are established the faster we'll get to that. Since they can just take the chassis for some commuter car and change the body and tune the suspension and change some software controls.

the problem is nobody will buy one because enthusiasts generally hate EVs and the general public doesnt care

Weird idea :

For electric cars, why not just integrate ambient engine noise? Like I'm sure you could tack that into the cars computer, and in a few years, people will actually start talking about their different electric cars' engine growing.

sucks a lot of power to do that, you'll have to make speakers designed for continuous external usage etc etc
also you need to design to noise to be cool enough that people want it.

it'll happen it's just going to take a while

I would never do that. Part of the reason I love EVs is that they are really quiet. The leaf has ambient fake engine noise, but that's only because the Japanese blind people association complained or something. Besides, electric engines sound really awesome by themselves, even if they are a bit quiet.
Go test drive a tesla - it's actually kinda neat. it's like a whhhiIIrRRIRRRRRRrrrrrr---- when you step on the accelerator.

if only this could be amplified
youtube.com/watch?v=_Rg75JbVOpg

sound is just wasted energy. Although I'd imagine that the losses due to sound are minute compared to heat losses.
The drivetrain engineers probably have bigger priorities than adjusting the design for the sake of sound, probably

the ultimate goal is something like this
youtu.be/1IraXA1QNN0?t=102

It's stupid, IMO. It's synthetic - like putting fake hood scoops on a car. It's tacky. Amplification at low speeds for safety reasons is one thing, but this is just, well, tacky.

>sound is just wasted energy.
No its not. Sound is not heat. Sound is a wave.

okey okey, I should have clarified then mr preciseman

sound is a trait of wasted energy. you must have heat losses to have sound, ergo sound is a """source"""" of energy loss in the loose sense of the word.

You are slightly less wrong, but sound doesn't NEED to be a source of wasted energy. Specially since it means vibrations in the air. You mean that those vibrations in the air are a waste of energy?

I mean I would rather those vibrations go towards rotating the wheels, rather than vibrating the air.

depends on the sound. trying to simulate an actual engine note is tacky but if you craft something wholly unique it becomes a form of styling except with audio instead of visually.
the e-tron does it right

he means wasted as in "energy not spent spinning the wheels"

if my EV had a Titan-rocket-esque startup BWOOOP! I would be a very happy man.

youtu.be/i7w8UIW6g1Q?t=3m56s
youtu.be/cs81_raO2WM?t=2m28s
youtu.be/N2lEz_caMTw?t=2m18s
wish there was better audio of if. It's an incredible thing to hear firsthand

No idea if legit, but
evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=233

>sports car that's actually good?
>today era

nope, no way
it's all about crossover and shits

>ev west
it's legit
however that kit's pretty down on power, the motor is this
evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=83

i'm much more looking forward to good motor controller cracks for tesla drive trains because those motors make a LOT of power without that much weight

they keep improving them too electrek.co/2017/07/04/tesla-electric-motor-update/

wait a fucking second they got the whole inverter unit to be EVEN SMALLER?

How tailored to the specific cars are those kits?Any chance a kit like that would be readily adaptable to something like an MR2 Spyder? I've got one that I don't need as a DD and want to do something interesting with.

I would be careful with fan cooled EV motors like that. Stuff is liquid cooled in EV cars for a reason. But if it's designed that way whatever

All we need is to get more solar and wind power to make ev more renewable

How do you use sun and wind to make Coltan renewable?

bump

Seems like OP would just be better off getting an MR2 and converting it to electric. It's a popular conversion.

I'm pretty happy with the speed and range of the Model S. Why can't Tesla just give us a kit for that so I can dump it in my Vette?

they are production limited right now. Which is why it's so hard to get replacement parts from tesla - everything is going in new cars.