Hello Veeky Forums my mechanic is trash, and I was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a 2004 beatle 2.0 engine...

Hello Veeky Forums my mechanic is trash, and I was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a 2004 beatle 2.0 engine, and it's giving me this code. What do you guys think? I'm trying to do everything myself, because mechanics down here will charge you rape prices for simple things. Any advice or information would be helpful. Thanks as always Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A6kPPgjAofI
vaughnlive.tv/sherming66,
autozone.com/engine-management/camshaft-position-sensor/volkswagen/beetle?vehicleSet=true
carparts.com/details/Volkswagen/Beetle/Replacement/Camshaft_Position_Sensor/2002/REPV311601.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CM7Xl4uH89QCFU1rfgodvoYAGg&gclsrc=aw.ds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also forgot to mention, when I drive the car, and I put to much on the gas peddle the car doesn't accelerate. So I have to be gentle with the gas peddle so it slowly accelerates. Like it goes shoots up to 3 revs and then falls to 2 revs, but the car isn't moving fast. It's barely moving.

2.slow 8v or 16v?
Anyway, it could just be a sensor as those tend to go bad on VWs, or maybe something with the fuel system (injectors probably).

Ask humblemechanic

Faulty O2 sensor (front)
Faulty gas cap seal
Leaky or loose oil filler cap
Air leaking into the intake manifold downstream from the Mass Airflow sensor due to the manifold itself, vacuum hoses off or cracked, leak MAP sensor, Leak at turbo bypass or it's stuck open, power brake booster hose, or a leak in the EVAP system hoses.
Faulty MAP sensor EVAP canister purge valve
Fuel injector leak
Fuel pressure regulator faulty
Leaks in the exhaust system
Faulty variable camshaft timing
Faulty ECM (engine management computer)
Faulty O2 preheater (front)
Clogged fuel filter
Fuel pump wearing out and producing low pressure.
Faulty mass air flow sensor

That's a list of possible causes I got from a simple google search.

Mechanic here op. I'd take it to a shop.

Seriously though it's most likely a failed sensor. One good way to check is to disconnect it, key on engine off, take a multimeter and check your signal voltage. I'm guessing it's a hall effect sensor and I don't have spec sheets for vw but a good number would be around 4.5 to 5 volts dc. Some of the newer model stuff has gone full pulse width modulation but an 04 is probably still using reference voltage.if you have good vref the sensor is junk. If you don't (or can find the spec sheet for comparison ) it's probably going to be the harness, don't forget to check for damage to the wires at the connector. Another possibility is to take a piece of wire and jump the connector and see if the fault changes to an out of range low. That'll rule out a harness even without a multimeter. Don't forget to wiggle test it.

Where is the sensor located? I'm gonna try to change the sensor rn.

That you're going to have to google. Vw engines aren't real common in Kenworth trucks.

Yup, this. At least the 2.slow is a pretty simple engine.

This is the engine. Umm I YouTube some replacement videos, but there's no beetle replacement vids. Is this engine the same as the Jetta? Can I use the same video as a guide?

Should be, mechanically they're pretty much the same car.

Alright, thanks. So this video would do? One last thing you said their almost the same engine, so does it matter what camshaft sensor I buy?

youtu.be/A6kPPgjAofI

The one in the video is a 2.5, not a 2.0. I mean they're likely to be the same part but you might as well try to find out your engine code so you don't end up with the wrong part if they are different.

The code I was given is PO343

Yeah, that's the error code. The engine code tells you exactly which engine you have, so you can order the correct parts for your engine.
Just "2.0" isn't really enough info, it could be any variant of the 8 valve and 16 valve versions.

So after a bit of Google-fu it turns out the 2.0 16v never made it to the New Beetle, which means it's an 8v. The good news is those 2.0 8v engines are pretty much all identical.

>guys what does this bad cam sensor code mean?

i was looking at videos, im a bit scared messing with the timing belt. what if i fuck it up? heres the part. does it say the exact engine in the title?

vaughnlive.tv/sherming66, oops.

autozone.com/engine-management/camshaft-position-sensor/volkswagen/beetle?vehicleSet=true

heres the same piece for 13 dollars, is this a scam? im really tempted to buy the 13 dollar one over the 89 one.

carparts.com/details/Volkswagen/Beetle/Replacement/Camshaft_Position_Sensor/2002/REPV311601.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CM7Xl4uH89QCFU1rfgodvoYAGg&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 13 dollar one should work fine, maybe check the plug on yours before you order just to be sure they're the same.

what happens if i fuck up the timing belt, that what has me worried the most, dude. i have no idea about timing belts, what if i put it in wrong. thats whats holding me back.

Clearly mark the position of the belt on both the crank and the cam sprockets, as well as the belt itself. Then if you have to take it off and later on have to put it back on, just align the marks you made and everything should be fine.
Putting it on with the crank and cam out of sync could fuck up your valves and pistons and will definitely result in your engine not running right.

You could take it to a shop and supply the part yourself, some shops might refuse but most shops will just charge labor for the job but won't give you any warranty on the work.

Ok I'm here, do I remove both sprockets? Or just the top one? Also I did that, is that a good way to mark them?