Ok Veeky Forums, maybe you can help me. When I turn the key on my car, nothing happens. No clicks or any noises...

Ok Veeky Forums, maybe you can help me. When I turn the key on my car, nothing happens. No clicks or any noises. Battery is fully charged. At first I figured it's the starter, I have had something like this happen on another car and that was the issue. So I put a new one in and nothing changed. So I hooked up one of those buttons you can use to turn the engine over from outside the car, and it turns over just like it should. With that in mind, is it safe to assume my ignition cylinder/switch is the issue here?

Before this happened, it happened to a lesser extent, I turned it over, let off, and it wouldn't do anything the next time. Another note, it's a late 60s car, so there shouldnt be any computer bits causing this issue.

Sure sounds like it. I'd use a multimeter and see if there are any broken connections from the cables going out of the ignition cylinder/switch to the starter relay

Do any interior lights light up? Can you hear the fuel pump priming?

It's a manual fuel pump so I don't think it does that. And yes, a few of the interior lights that do work do come on

Ok I'm glad I'm on the right track at least. I'll try that and see what happens

You mean the car is a manual, or you have to prime it by hand like some oldie-time jalopy?

My '97 Camaro won't start because the fuel pump won't always work. It has to be a connectivity issue because it does run just fine most days.

No I mean it's a 1966 and the fuel pump is manual

If the starter works but the key doesn't, it seems pretty safe to say it's something in the ignition

Could be the ignition switch. Could be the neutral safety switch. Try wiggling the shifter while you turn the key. With your foot on the brake.

I have tried that and also tried every gear so I don't think that is it. However, if it was, where is the neutral safety switch located?

>where is the neutral safety switch located?

Don't know. Somewhere on the shift linkage. What make/model/year cars is it? I still probably won't know, but someone else might.

>on the shift linkage

That's what I was looking for, didn't expect anyone to know exactly, just wasn't sure where I should be looking

Its the ignition switch, but may ALSO be the relay.

that is a ford ignition switch if I have ever seen one.

I had a similar problem with my f250, it turned out that the ground cable was so corroded it wasn't passing current. The truck would be fine, power would go to radio and shit, but then once I turned the key everything went dark. I had to sand the block, replace the cables and then it worked.

does power come on to your radio and lights? if you put a jumper cable from the positive side of the battery directly to the positive side of the starter does it turn over?

if it is a ford, the solenoid would be the culprit, and that is on the right side fender.

But you would hear a click in my experience.

It's probably the Neutral safety switch,

I had the same problem with my car.

It's a Chrysler imperial, I expected the solenoid as well and replaced it and it wasn't the fix. My interior lights work and stay on when turning the key, I'd try the radio but it fell behind the dash. Already got the ignition out so I'm gonna hunt one down tomorrow and see what that does

If that doesn't work I'll be replacing this

Just a heads up for the future, you can get a workable multimeter for $5, a lot cheaper, easier, and faster than throwing every possible part at a problem

This

Lrn2diagnostics

Yes I see that now. Admittedly, everything I replaced was 10-20 years old anyway, so it was something that would have happened soon anyway

Definitely check your ground cable. It did me in.

I will, thanks

>1966
>Chrysler Imperial
>he doesn't know that Imperial was a separate marque until 1975
You don't deserve that car.