Lets be honest here with everyone

Lets be honest here with everyone.

Have you ever changed the oil and filter of a car or changed a tire?

I have personally never done it.

Not even change a tire. just never been in a situation where i had to

I used to change oil, but fuck if it doesn't cost about the same to have someone else do it in half the time. Fuck rotating tires with only a jack.

what? why would you "change" oil

Rotating tires is pretty easy with a jack. Jack up one side, switch the front and back, and do the other side. Takes about 10 minutes. I don't even bother crossing the tires tho

>Never removed a wheel
You should try it before you need to just so you know how to do it.

This.

Op is a massive fag.

I've done both.
Fuck tires.

I always change the oil in my cars.

My mum took her car to a shop when I was out of town and they used a impact to put the fucking drain plug on, had to drill that sucker out and get a new one.

Tires? I had a flat once and when I took out the donut it was also flat. bought a full size spare from a JY and never had a flat again.

oil depends on the car and tools. I have a jerry can style oil catcher that make no mess and my filters are paper cartidges not the stupid crew off things. take all of about half an hour to change oil with no mess. oil and filter only costs me 50 ish bucks

tyres are pretty easy with a bmw jack as well. use the spare tyre as a placeholder for the first one you do and that usually take about half an hour as well.

for emergencies I just use slime instead of changing to my space saver

Tfw out in the country with a flat and your donut is flat and you have an air compressor that plugs into your car or you'd be screwed

I'mma boy scout yo

Do you use impact gun for tires or just the factory tire iron?

Im considering rotating tires myself but it always seems like such a labor intensive pain in the ass

Sure, OP. I change the oil on my car. I'm the only one who has changed the oil on my car too. Same with the air filter and the cabin filter.

Fortunately I haven't had to change a flat tire in over 20 years, but I've done it before and I know how to do it on the current car I own. Most of the time you can get by with one of those cans of fix a flat, those things have really cut down on having to get out the spare.

factory iron to loosen them, then a socket and extension to get them all the way out. It is a pain but I only do it when it isn't too hot and I have time to spare.

Taking your time and not being rushed makes almost any job easy

Only work I don't do is tire changes, don't want to buy the tooling for it.

Just did my oil change yesterday.

Change the oil as soon as I get time each time I get a car and pull the wheels off to better inspect the brakes. It's actually pretty simple

It's literally my job.

t. Lube """""tech"""""

I have, but it's too much trouble when you don't have a garage.

Please tell me that isn't going directly onto the exhaust. What car so I know to avoid it?

fuckin saved!

6.0L gmt800 Silverado/Sierra 2500

>Lube tech
Why didn't they train you to drain the oil into the pan?

Yes. I do it cause I use synthetic and save a little $ and it's nice to make sure I'm using good oil

Cause he's a lube tech and they're some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet. I should know, I was one. Then I bought a ton of tools and am now a major league retard.

No to all of the above
My car doesn't have a spare tire

Why in God's name is there a pair of channel-locks on a lube tech's tray?

You can see it arc back a bit, it did go in to the pan. If it wasn't going into the pan I would have been moving the pan, not calmly taking a picture. I didn't have to clean up any oil, so if it did miss the pan it must have evaporated.

Im old I have done everything short of rebuilding a transmission.

Same op

But I want to learn

How to start?

Those are filter pliers

>How to start?
Be too poor to pay for an oil change or road size service

valvoline or jiffylube senpai?

Buy a cheap car and daily drive it.

Walmart

>change oil and filter
yes, pretty much every change
>change tire
no, I don't have the gear to mount and balance new tires. I've changed wheels though

I did both before I turned 14. It isn't hard at all.

Wew

Yes. It. Is.

The 10% discount on almost everything in the store is pretty nice, plus I'm making more per hour than I would at jiffy lube. ($11.21) It could be worse, being out in the shop I avoid pretty much all the bullshit that most of the other positions inside the store have to deal with. Mainly customers, I rarely have to even talk to one.

I love road size tho

Peoples lack of willingness to work on their own cars is disgusting.

Please stop being a dick to people who come in to drop off used oil.

>Not working on your own car
>Letting some dipshit lube tech or mechanic touch your shitbox

Sure. I wait for the crazy good deal on Mobile 1 every year and grab a couple of the big ones. Changing my oil at home is quicker than waiting at Jiffy Lube.

Go to a different Walmart, they take customer satisfaction seriously at mine. One step out of line and a customer complains, you're up shit creek.

Ummm oil expires dumbass

Change oil all the time for friends, as for tires I've practiced a few times in a class back in high school
Don't see why I'd change tires myself when my shop has professional tire machine and does it for free

I change my own oil because for the price of paying some barely-graduated-highschool-if-they-even-graduated-at-all to half-assedly put in conventional and some low-tier filter, I can buy synthetic and a top-tier filter if I just spend the 10 minutes to do it myself.

yes, multiple times for both
hell i've even rotated my tires on my own using only the factory honda civic jack and spare tire as a place holder
i've even changed tires on my gf's car and my mom's car once

More than you'd like to know kid

ALso, ford filters are fucking great. Old car was some paper filter you changed inside a housing. These ford filters you change the whole housing and just screw the bitch on, fucking neat.

nice bait

I use a breaker bar to remove them. Reinstalling I do them semi tight, lower the car and using a torque wrench, torque them to factory spec's.
>Yes there are lug nut torque specifications for almost every car
>Over tightening can warp your rotors

>Ford filters
>"neat"
>Not realizing tons of cars and trucks have exactly what you're talking about
My 1985 gmc c15 has that, you're acting like it's something rare

I can do oil changes, tire rotation and entire break jobs, I did a few things like installing hitches and load leveling springs.

Nothing fancy.

They did the same thing to my Pontiac. Next guy who tried to tap it cracked it in half and I had to buy a new pan. Fuck quick lube places, lazy ass niggers can't be fucked to use a ratchet like a real man.

My dad taught me how to change the oil when I was little. Rotating tires and changing brake pads was something I taught myself to do in high school. However, when outsiders ask if I am a "car guy" I tell them I still haven't done any major maintenance on my car because I haven't had to and am too poor to get mods.

my car has it's lifting point in a spot where i can jack up an entire side of my car no problem.

I worked a quick lube place for a while. All we had were hand tools.

I took an auto class back in high school, I've changed the oil once on my car but since then I've been to lazy because I have friends that work at dealerships so I just pay them on the side to do it.

^this

it takes me under 20 minutes to change my oil and filter if I have the things on hand, I don't have to drive anywhere, make an appointment, wait if there's a line, and pray they don't fuck it up (half the workers are usually kids who don't give a fuck, like my friends and family who've worked at jiffylube). Unless you're buying oil buy the quart, you'll end up saving a bit and it's easier than washing a car.

I actually prefer those cartridge filters, because you can see what kind of build quality the filter has.

Not just that, but management pushes them to find things to sell to you, so they're going to be in your airbox, they'll be pulling the cabin filters, they'll be touching parts of your car you'd rather they not, but they're going to because they want to keep their dumbass jerb.

Youtube is your friend. There are even people who will show you how to change the oil on your Lamborghini, should you be in such a situation...

Every 3k

>muh apex seals

Nobody will care as much about your car as you, user. Nobody.

Don't you have to keep those wankers topped off with oil anyway, because they burn oil by design?

I've swapped engines in an international crane truck.

Timing belts, redo whole front suspensions... The lot.

I hate brakes.
I don't touch transmissions.

I only bought my first car a few months ago and done a service pretty much right after that, but the next time I'm definitely changing my own oil & filters.

This is best solution, my first car a used and abused fiat punto owned by a female and god damn I learned how to change every filter, spark plugs, rotate tires, fucking valve cover gasket, took it to the shop just for a new head gasket and the infamous punto misfire

Gotta add you will probably need to buy some tools if you don't have any yet and for god sake if you can afford it, a decent jack so you don't fear for your life every time you happen to be under your car.

To be honest with you. No. I've never replaced oil in a car.
I did remove, clean and remount a starter engine and removed a wheel of a car.

But that's because I don't have a car. I've basically done all mayor maintenance on my bikes except tires, just didn't do two big repairs. Once because I wasn't even able to tie my own shoe laces and once because the shop started doing it before they even gave me a call it was in the shop (got towed to the shop).

t. Teslafag

>tfw I missed out on taking an auto tech course in HS because my dad was an autistic boomer who thought "that means yer HS diploma won't say [school I graduated from]!"
>he just died last October from boomer causes (alcoholism) so now I have nobody except youtube to teach me how to wrench
I still change the oil+filters and spark plugs on my own car but it sucks not being able to do much else

I've learned most shit myself.
It's not that hard.

holy fuck wow boomers are almost as bad as millennials.

>almost as bad
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8

Still haven't done disc brakes yet (discs on all 4 wheels) because I'm worried I'm gonna mess up the bleed process

Don't bleed them, just use the caliper squisher tool.

>because I'm worried I'm gonna mess up the bleed process
Ask someone that might know to help. Most people are willing.

>he doesn't replace brake fluid when replacing pads
You know it has to be replace like yearly?

>brother went to school for auto mechanic shit
>hates working on cars now
>always dirty and stinky
>took up heavy drinking and smoking to cope with his job
>Money a shit
>has 4 non-running shitters occupying his garage and side yard that will cost a fortune to get running and looking decent ever again
>always used to bitch about how "that job books for x hours, I don't want to do it" back when we used to work on cars together for fun

>I went to school for finance
>learned how to work on cars watching my brother, reading the internet, and haynes manuals
>Still like working on my own cars
>have a good daily (Mazda CX-9) and a fun/project (Mazda RX-7 1st gen)
>Make more money than I care to spend on cars
>dress nice for work and come back looking/smelling nice
>Drink casually (once a week) at the bar with my friends
>don't smoke
>Job only sucks because I work 70 hours a week
>Always have time on the weekends to knock out one or two things on the rotary

tl;dr don't be sad you missed out on automech shit. Better to just learn on your own.

You're. A. Retard.

I started after some dumb cunt either lost or stripped my drain plug, so he half-assedly fit some completely different one that destroyed the threads inside the pan and then leaked.

Ugh.

yes

1/2 to full quart every 1k depending on how hard you drive it.

>mfw dealership tech
>due to policy, every car that arrives has to get a "full circle" inspection, involving checking all tire treads, measuring all brake pads, measuring rotor thickness, among other things
>if you come in for a simple oil change, it's gonna be 45 min.-1 hour because we have no open spoke wheels that let us check brakes without removing them
>mfw people refuse scheduled tire rotations anyway to "save money and time" despite that
>mfw other people who spend $200 for an oil change and rotation than decide against spending $4.99 for a new cabin air filter
>mfw someone came in for scheduled maintenance today with a doughnut on with no tread... "C/S DO NOT REPAIR FLAT TIRE IN TRUNK, DOES NOT WANT TO BE UPSOLD"
>mfw people come in with poor quality non-oem oil filters after seeing one fail and the dealership denying warranty because it's not our fault
>mfw most things I see at the dealership

Post some stealership stories? I miss LPG

Changed the tire once when some jackass hit&ran my parked car in front of my house.

>"C/S DO NOT REPAIR FLAT TIRE IN TRUNK, DOES NOT WANT TO BE UPSOLD"

This is a cultural problem, not a "people not caring about their car" problem. The trouble is, Americucks are so used to people trying to jew them with upsells and other bullshit that it's pretty much a gag-reflex to automatically say "no" to things that sound like they're just there as a ripoff, even if they're reasonably priced and totally legit.

When entire systems like Restaurants, Phone dealers, and Car dealers are built around not making money on the main product sales but instead relying in bullshitty upsales tactics... you get shit like this.

T - Americuck

Takes less than a year to go 4k miles, dumbass.

It's not like there's this huge reservoir of trust that the public has with the typical dealership for some strange reason...

i don't have that much to tell, honestly, the only "LPG style" story I can tell is:
>walk down to the service desk to pick up a car (our actual shop is across the street from where the showroom/customer area is)
the one service writer at the desk at that moment is on the phone so I wait for him to finish
>black lady with shades in a random beat up honda accord speeds into our customer drop off zone, almost hitting a sigh, slams on the brakes, speedwalks to the desk
>immediately looks at me and goes "ISTHISWHEREIGO?"
>mother of fuck this woman has no indoor voice does she
>service writer hangs up and saves me
>"what can we help you wi--
>"ALRIGHT SO THIS IS SCOTTY'S AUTO REPAIR, RIGHT?, THIS WHERE I GO FOR A CLAIM?"
>our dealer chain is named "Scott (manufacturer)"
>service writer is almost blown backwards by the force of her thundering voice
>"no, ma'am there's a sign out there you see leading out to our body shop down the street, if you have a claim, that's where you would go"
>"ALRIGHT CAN YOU TAKE US THERE I'M RUSHIN, I'M ON LUNCH, (unintelligible)...
>"ma'am you can see the building from here it's just down the street that way"
>"WHATCHU MEAN, WON'T YOU HELP A SISTA"
>service writer eventually agrees to walk her to our body shop 250 feet down the road
>as he does so, someone I presume to be her son walks out of the honda's passenger seat
>he's wearing beats around his neck, a sleeveless shirt, and... what are those sweatpants?
>no, those are not sweatpants, his shorts are sagging literally almost to his knees and that's his underwear. his junk is almost in full view
>turn around and try my damn best not to bust out in laughter
>barely make it back to the shop

8/10, sensible chuckle. Got any more stories in general?

>Im considering rotating tires myself but it always seems like such a labor intensive pain in the ass

>if you're 100% mechanically inept
>using the jack for your donut spare
>and using a crescent wrench to do the job
>literally mouthing "lefty loosy" as you mangle your lug nuts

Then it will take you 30 minutes.

>cant lift all 4 corners of car high enough
>jack at home won't fit under car cause car too low
>had hand surgery and could barely change air filter
>filter + oilchange costs like 30 with all the materials included and i get to shoot the shit with the guys at the shop
There's not much of a reason to.
Maybe once I get coilovers and the tower car rising things I'll start doing my own oil.

>Tfw no idea how to change oil myself
>tfw car doesn't have a spare tyre. only a repair kit

Don't you need to be able to at least get under the car to change the oil?

Not much, still got my first car and the one I learned in.. tried keeping it going and it's currently got 190k on the clock (shitty Vauxhall Corsa 2005)

Change oil and filter every 9-10k

So far on it I've had to change..

Air filter
Ignition coils
Rear suspension coils
EGR Valve twice (first was faulty)
Gear linkage - probably the hardest
Sidelights and dips
Right side brake light
Tyres are Ok but I have a shitty jack

'fixed' water leaking by using some magic sealant stuff.. still don't know how that worked

Sure I got a small oil leak or it's burning a bit of oil too, it's down to 2-3 marks out of 5 on the dip stick, not sure how I'll 'fix' that.

That's pretty much it off the top of my head, everything I learned to change from YouTube and having a bit of patience.

Hoping to hit 200k with this and maybe buy another car but I'll definitely miss it when it goes eventually go.

No, Not because I don't know how or have the time.

But because I'm lazy and I can pay 80 dollars every 10k miles for someone else to get covered in dirty and filth instead of me.

Took my truck to Wal-Mart once and they didn't tighten the filter or the drain plug, neither were even hand tight