How do I get to NYC by car without having to pay tolls?

How do I get to NYC by car without having to pay tolls?

I live in NC but one week from today I will be driving to NYC just to see it. I rode there last year with friends and I remember we had to pay $15 tolls at least 3 times which seems excessive.

I've been planning my route on Google Maps even selecting the "avoid tolls and highways" options but from NC to NYC seems like a toll is inevitable. Thus far it seems I can get to Trenton NJ and then find US Route 1 no problem but then that leads to the Holland Tunnel where there is also a fucking toll. Unless...

Unless there is a secret somebody knows?

Take the train?

You can't do it. You will have to pay some kind of toll.

Shit like this is why I don't do big cities.

why would anyone want to live on the east coast if there's goddamn toll roads everywhere

Think of it like Disneyland and that will make the tolls easier for your psyche to handle.

After all, you're only treating it like it's Disneyland. If I were in that area, I'd hit TN, KY, IN, OH, WV, maybe a couple more. Nice little Appalachian weekend.

This is why I moved out west.

T. Montanafag

TEST IS Veeky Forums ALIVE AGAIN

Because its less boring than staring at cows all day in some random place like Montana for instance.

Public transport. Not kidding.

why do you need to take your car. parking and driving in manhattan is a bitch

Already got that figured out thanks to Doug Demuro.

Gonna schedule an oil change at the Hyundai dealer in NYC for the Friday I arrive. $40 for free parking at the service department.

The distance you'd have to drive is to avoid the toll is not worth it in the slightest.

My road trip last year took me to NYC. Best advice is to park in Jersey and take the bus to NYC. It's ridiculously cheap, only a 20 min bus ride to times square, and you avoid the hassle of having to drive in NYC traffic and pay $80 for parking.

That's if you wanna spend the night in Jersey and bus it to NYC everyday, which will be cheaper. If you have the mullah to stay the night in NYC and pay for parking there then surely a $15 toll wouldn't be much to you?.

Hey I'm in Montana too.

Feel that quake last night?

I'm just gonna spend one full day there. No overnight. I was serious about the oil change. That'll take care of the parking. It's the getting into the city part I'm trying g to be a cheapskate about.

Nonetheless the bus from Jersey idea is neat. Hadn't thought of that. Genuine thanks. Maybe I should just skip the oil change idea and bus in.

>the only part of the east coast is the northeast

This. I used to get the bus from Hackensack right into the Port Authority for like 6 dollars.

find an area of jersey city with no street parking rules, walk a mile to the path and take that in, $2.50 each way.

Other option is take the tappan zee bridge for $5 if you really want to drive 60+ miles out of the way

this. live in nyc, feel like committing suicide when I'm in the suburbs or a rural area. Only downside is it's impractical to own a car.

you can't.

t.truck driver who runs the Northeast.

GW bridge is the most expensive bridge to cross probably in the USA. just about every road leading into NYC is a toll road. I do not deliver there unless it pays very very very well.

you gotta park and switch to a boat/train/subway/helicopter outside of the city.

literally every entrance has a toll. only way around it is if you create some sort of diversion, but all such diversions would likely cause traffic.

you could also try using an amphibious exploring vehicle, like a range rover, but the national guard watches the waters pretty closely.

kek nigga

>I'm just gonna spend one full day there. >I was serious about the oil change.
Is the dealership even near your destination?

Pretty sure you can go from NJ into Staten Island toll-free (there are lots of bridges), and then you can take the Verrazano bridge from Staten Island into Brooklyn, I think it's toll-free in that direction. Then you can take the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridge into Manhattan, which is definitely toll-free.

Dear Diary,

Today OP was a silly guy who thought he could not pay tolls. So silly! XoxoxoxoxoX

Wait, you have to pay someone money just to drive from one city to another? What the what? Who is responsible for this?

You already bought gas and paid taxes on it. How much more do they need?

If someone does as much as twitch on the ramps to any of those Hudson tunnels or the GWB, it completely fucks everything up.

Taconic ---> Sprain Brook/Saw Mill River ---> Henry Hudson ---> west side highway

A starter car?!

>Hyundai in New York City

Google Maps says it is within a mile of Central Park.

Actually not a terribly bad plan.

>Verrazano

Literally $16 toll into the city unless EZPass discounted rate.

I wouldn't come by car at all. The MTA/Amtrak are doing major repairs starting on Monday, and everything transportation-related is going belly-up with confusion.

No toll going into nyc but I think there's a 10-15$ toll to leave

If you want free parking look around morningside heights near columbia university, you don't need a permit there and there's a decent number of spots now because it's summer session. Then just take #1 train down to wherever you need to go

Don't drive through the city, my recommendation is lincoln tunnel off peak hours, then immediately get on hudson highway up to 125 st. Gw bridge is generally busy all the time, while lincoln tunnel is hit or miss depending on time of day

>$40 for free parking
I mean, it's a good idea, but you're complaining about $45 in tolls.

40 dollars and get an oil change out of it,

versus

45 dollars just to employ basketball americans to stand there and take your money before driving on roads you already paid for

Willis Avenue Bridge

/thread

>he thinks he can outsmart da juice.

From mainland east of Hudson:
Third Ave Bridge
Madison Ave Bridge
145th St Bridge
Macomb's Dam Bridge
University Heights Bridge
Broadway Bridge

From Long Island:
Brooklyn Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
Manhattan Bridge
Queensboro Bridge

From New Jersey:
Go away, we don't want you

All those bridges and tunnels won't pay for themselves.

the toll-less bridges are small and full of traffic, GPSs avoid them like the plague unless the toll bridges are outright closed. you also need to drive out of your way in traffic that might make a thirsty car use up enough gas to justify the toll.

a side tip DO NOT ENTER MANHATTAN WITH A LOW TANK. there are only 2 stations on the island last I remember.

Not sure about where you're coming from. But I went from MA to NYC without paying a single toll. I can't remember the route I took, but i do remember I rode through the Bronx straight into Manhattan. No tolls on the way out either. Traffic wasn't even bad in or out by NYC standards. Fast if anything. It's definitely possible, just requires actually looking at a map instead of whatever Google shit spits out at you for an answer.

Manhattan isn't very big. You could absolutely fi d a gas station using Google or Waze within the 20-mile radius of the island.

Theoretically you could go up to the Bear Mountain Bridge near Ft. Montgomery, NY and pay a $1.50 toll, then drive down through Westchester and into the Bronx/Manhattan. But its just easier and quicker to pay the $15.

getting to that station in gridlock will take a very long time, quite a few people run out on the way there.

Avoid gridlock by not entering the island from 8-10am and 4-7pm?

Or just....tank up in the Bronx/Jersey/Queens? Or just...don't drive with a gallon of fuel lol.

Cut a hole in your trunk and attach the plate to a string.
Pull sting when going by toll cameras.

>Extremely expensive pieces of capital infrastructure
>Requiring extensive ongoing maintenance and management
>Not used by a large proportion of the local populace
>Extensively used by those outside the tax jurisdiction of the local authorities
>Excessive use has deleterious effects on the local area
>Users are readily identifiable
>Easily secured against non-payers
Gee, I wonder what the appropriate funding strategy is?

How about appropriating the billions of tax dollars that are spent on F16 fighter jets that the military doesn't even use towards maintaining infrastructure, which everybody uses?

Really makes you think.

Federal v state v municipal money

Irrelevant point.