I have a friend thats trying to convince me that left foot braking his auto shitbox is the proper way you should drive...

I have a friend thats trying to convince me that left foot braking his auto shitbox is the proper way you should drive your car every day. do yall do the same, is he fucking crazy?

No.
He is wrong.

there's nothing wrong with it unless maybe he rests his foot on it and his brake lights are always on but it's unusual

He's practicing weight transfer for sick skidz when rally driving, why aren't you pleb

Pretty much this. If you aren't a retard and press the brake when you shouldn't, you get better control with left foot braking.
>Light turns green
>People look in awe as I take off immediately with no delay

hes thinks its good because of improved reaction time incase of deer.

lol wtf. go ask any person over the age of 18 how they feel about this

You actually have worse reaction time when trying to coordinate two feet rather than just one. You objectively have to think less to use one foot

>He doesn't have the capacity to control two feet at the same time
nervlets btfo

I drive autos like that.
Gives my left foot something to do.

Yeah I doubt people are looking in awe you autist, holy fuck

I've only ever known one person who did this, and they were never able to learn stick because of it.
>Too many pedals!

his argument is you have 2 feet so use 2 pedals but like when im not using clutch i put my foot on dead pedal till i need to change gears.
he wants to rest his foot on brake constantly.

Yes, but the time you save by not having to physically move your foot is far greater then the extra time you spend coordinating two feet.

so you rest your foot on your brake pedal 100% of the time

Yeah great way to stall every time you come to a stop.

>not left foot braking in an automatic

>>Light turns green
>>People look in awe as I take off immediately with no delay

i dont understand.

first of all, are we talking about automatic or manual?

What about the clutch?

Are there people here that actually drive automatics?

If your driving an automatic then this is really bad for your transmission

I bet he goes through brake pads pretty quickly.

Your friend is an idiot

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that your friend isn't a rally driver, so him doing this every day is stupid. It puts unnecessary wear on the brakes and maybe the transmission depending on how retarded he is.

I've always wondered too why wouldn't you brake with your left foot instead of having to operate both pedals with your right foot while your left is hanging on the side

They say it's so people don't press both at the same time but unless you're a brainlet you're gonna manage it just fine

>Autos
Yes.

>Manuals
Heel-toe dat shit, nigga.

>start racing karts when I was 9 years old
>left foot brake right foot gas pedal
>6 years later be doing driving class
>instructor says to stop doing that
>I can't
>fails me

there is nothing wrong with it, it does not cause extra wear on anything, that's retarded

the reason is because women panic and smash all the pedals in an emergency

>tfw just got a Pontiac Vibe with a 5 speed and there's no room to heel toe

Seriously, there isn't enough space. Pedals are closer than they need to be and there's a hump right next to the accelerator.

Did you get a new instructor or just BS to pass?

You can put it in neutral without clutching in, or clutch in and put it in neutral before you left foot brake to a stop.

Don't see why you'd do that though since revmatch heel-toe downshifts and braking is faster.

Stop being a bitch and resting your foot on anything.
Is right, too. The extra time it takes to think about moving your left foot down is still less than thinking about moving your right foot over and down

I was taught to drive auto trans this way by an nypd officer, all cops drive left foot brake auto.

>stop resting your foot on anything
Except that's literally exactly what the dead pedal is for.

holy fuck this thread

is this the only guy here that actually owns a car? or at least not an automatic

Anyone else do more of a side of foot and side of foot rather than heel and toe? Wide foot master race.

>Are there people here that actually drive automatics?
I guess so.
Sometimes they make threads about how people who drive stick are just shills for the manual transmission industry.
Or that they're just attempting to sell their own manual cars.

whats the left most pedal for?

i daily an automatic

i'd rather daily one because it's my first car and easier to learn how to handle a car when you don't have to worry about things like stalling out

i drive friends manual's when i can because i think they're way more fun, and my next car will be a standard

>Left foot accelerating
Does anyone in the states acctualy use this piece of ginuis machinery?

burnouts you fucking basementdweller

NANI!? the fuck is this abomination

probably for people who are missing their right leg

Why don't you just use the second leg?

If you became accustomed to this, left breaking (given that there is no clutch to operate) can be quicker.

>not anticipating the light change
>not already being off the break, and resting on the accelerator

I got used to braking with my left foot in karts long before I got my drivers license, so in some corners I still brake with my left foot sometimes. Only in my manual though, it has never even crossed my mind in an auto for some reason.

It is the ideal method for safety and speed, however there is some worry about reliability. Compare to leaving your foot on the clutch pedal when not in use, or your hand on a gear knob.

My mom does this and I am afraid to be in the car with her when she drives.

Top kek. What new memes with Veeky Forums come up with next

I've put over 100k miles in just personal automatics and I never do this. Seems like something people who can't drive well would say.

>Seems like something people who can't drive well would say
lmao no

You're not quite at his level.

nobody gives a fuck about you

wow what a dick

The autist is probably talking about automatic he probably cant drive a manual

Yes it is a very real driving technique for cornering a fwd car.

It's not really useful in traffic. But he could have a point that practicing the fine control is useful.

>Not putting the PRNDL in Park at every stoplight and stop sign
plebs

Just drive normally, it's not a fucken race track

>Getting T boned by some texting cunt because you had to be first across the intersection and didn't check to make sure other traffic was stopped.

Wow, it's like you have zero experience driving manual. And even less coordination.

>drove less than 200K miles
You've barely started driving. I've put over 100K miles on a few different cars. Driven manuals and automatics. Driven small cars to box trucks. Left foot brake, never rest foot on pedal. Let me know when you get good.

I've only been t-boned once over the last 20+ years, and it was an established green, not first one through. It matters not your habits, the odds will catch you.

Just drive the fucking car holy shit.

>the odds will catch you
You don't have odds on being tboned you nog.

There's a number of people blowing through red lights. Sometimes they hit other drivers. Out of the thousands of times you go through intersections, there's a ratio of the likelihood you will be the driver t-boned. Being the first one through the intersection doesn't increase the odds of it happening, because some of the people blowing through red lights aren't just running the light as it turns red. The one that got me passed stopped traffic to hit me, like a man on a mission to make sure I got my hard lick.

This. You don't need to left foot brake driving on the streets.
You don't need to trail brake and "set the car up" going into a corner driving in the city.

None of you bozos have driven a car with manual drum brakes before?
>millennials

None of you bozos have driven a car with crank start before?
>Boomers

>crank start
my grandpappy knew a guy who shattered his jaw doing that shit

Not a lot of people know the electric starter wasn't invented to be lazy, it was after the inventor's best friend was killed trying to crank start his car.

How about you check regardless of the lights?

Yep.
This guy lost his grip on it, and he wound up looking like Spike Lee at the end of Mo' Better Blues.

This.
California highway patrol has been teaching left foot brake for 50 years.
More control and better reaction time.
If you get confused by using both feet in an automatic then you shouldn't be driving.

Tried last night and it sort of works, i'll need more practice before I feel comfortable doing it to actually slow down. Thanks for the idea.

Take a serrated knife to the inside of the tires' tread when you get to the wear bars.

>BRUH I GOT 10K MORE MILES OUT OF MY TIRES

That's legit autistic or ocd shit.

'69 Beetle

And I am unfortunately a millenial.

I got in this habit driving the work truck. the gas and brake are on such different arcs and levels that during an 8 hour shift of constant stop and go I was getting shin splits and just general stress. waaay more comfortable in this particular situation but I don't drive any other autos this way just the work truck.

Not sure. Broke my right foot few weeks ago. Drive my 5 speed left footed everywhere.

The pedals are so close together in my car that I just have to nudge my foot a little to the side to get both.

Very nice desu

depends on the car, some cars have the gas and brake further apart.

>suggest everything is avoidable
Going through at 40 mph, he appeared from behind stopped cars going 50, wasn't visible till in intersection. No amount of brakes in the world will stop you 40 to 0 in 10'.

Thanks.

I extended my brake pedal by 1-1/2 inches to the left with diamond plate.

Uhhhh dude, you need to clean your floorboard..

it's like a crime scene photo after they removed the body

Uh dude, I live in winter belt, pic taken during winter.

this is how your rasekar
not DD

do they not sell vacuums in the north?

"Oh wow, look at that man's automatic car take off really quick. I bet he left foot brakes"

How often have you tried cleaning a car when it's constantly below 10ºF, and snow all around for months?

Do you not have a garage?

凸(-_-)凸

No wonder cars in the south last so much longer, you guys mistreat the shit out of them on top of your shitty salted roads covered in ice.