If pushrods are superior to OHC then why aren't they used in any relevant racing series? Not to mention OHC is lighter...

If pushrods are superior to OHC then why aren't they used in any relevant racing series? Not to mention OHC is lighter, makes more power and is more compact.

In over 10 different extremely popular racing series pushrods haven't won a single race and fail to be successful in numerous others. What's the point of using pushrods again?

Other urls found in this thread:

fordstnation.com/top-stories/6506-3-blown-ecoboost-engines-ford-google-page-ranking-failure-nightmare.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wJ6d7Waz3Po
twitter.com/AnonBabble

true

What about that ol C7R? I personally saw it win Sebring 12hr 2 years in a row.

>inb4 12hr sebring isnt real racing
It's the most demanding endurance race on this side of the earth.

I just came here to look at Nathan Drakes face. No homo tho.

nathan a qt

>not throwing in fuel economy too so we know for sure you're a faggot

Pushrods are simpler and produce more power at lower RPMs making for more reliable less maintenance intensive engines that still offer competitive performance for street applications

Wrong

Racing series put an internal displacement limit on their racecars.

>What's the point of using pushrods again?
In an engine with an identical displacement, pushrod V engines are more compact and lighter.

Yea, but why would you use a high displacement engine. They're inferior.

>They're inferior.
Why?

Turbocharged engines are more efficient, lighter and more powerful.

>but why would you use a high displacement engine.
Displacement makes power. If it weren't for that, everybody would be using 50cc shitboxes churning out 1000hp.

turbochargers are superior

>Displacement makes power

>Ford 3.5l EcoBoost V6
>700+hp
>400lbs

>Chevy LT4
>650hp
>529lbs

????

Then use a smaller pushrod turbo engine. It'd be even lighter and more compact than it's DOHC equivalent.

Besides, you're comparing apples to orange. You should compare a turbo OHC engine to a turbo pushrod unit, with similar displacement etc.

Oh was that a street application? No

giving internet access to gay coons was a mistake

pushrods aren't used seriously in any form of motorsport. that should be enough to convince you they are inferior

It literally is though
Unless you're implying the corvette was never intended for street use

Jesus fuck not you two again.

Sperg more

>pushrods aren't used seriously in any form of motorsport
The only sport where they're allowed is dragracing and NASCAR. F1 for example explictly banned pushrods because Ferrari couldn't compete.

Mercedes on the other hand BTFO everyone with a pushrod turbo engine, when they were still allowed in the Indy 500.

Reported for racism xD

Sperg more

lmao at ur obsession

reminder ohc is banned in drag racing because pushshit can't compete

>Mercedes Ilmor V8
>1000+ hp
>274lbs

>F1 for example explictly banned pushrods because Ferrari couldn't compete.
source?
>Mercedes on the other hand BTFO everyone with a pushrod turbo engine
when was that? over 20 years ago? hmmmmm

this. if they were actually superior engines they would be everywhere

not production

[citation needed]

Top Fuel actually allows for OHC - the Ford 427 SOHC was pretty popular for a while, until people figured out that the Hemi actually has better airflow.

>if they were actually superior engines they would be everywhere
Movable aero and ground effects are superior to current aero tech used in motorsports. it should be everywhere, right?

Nope, banned by FIA.

>The year before, USAC had relaxed its rules on pushrod engines for the race. Intended to encourage the entry of production-based powerplants
Designed for production.

Drag racing goes on >designed for production
yet it isn't production. sperg more

>Engines must have two inlet and two exhaust valves per cylinder.
This explictly excludes pushrod valvetrains, since you can't make a splayed multivalve pushrod setup on anything but a V2. Honda did that, worked great, but you can't use it for the V6 mandated by F1.

>when was that? over 20 years ago?
You'd think OHC would have caught by now, huh?

>Movable aero and ground effects are superior to current aero tech used in motorsports. it should be everywhere, right?
>Nope, banned by FIA.
clearly different reasons why they are banned. they are banned for safety issues

>they are banned for safety issues
So are pushrods. F1 cars would exceed the safety limits of their crash protection if they used pushrods.

>Honda did that, worked great
no it didn't
>You'd think OHC would have caught by now, huh?
cry more. no one even thinks of using a shitrod engine in racing today, that's why it's not a problem they are banned

wrong. ohc engines make more power per liter than pushrod engines, so that makes no sense

>If pushrods are superior to OHC
They aren't.

Don't respond to alphonse threads.

O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

They are everywhere outside your autistic world though.

Desert racing trucks
Recreational and commercial Boats
Sprint boats
Hillclimb cars
Rock bouncers
and on and on...

There's more than just lemans you queer.

true

anyone who supports any kind of OHC has obviously never tried to work on one before

Anybody who supports the downsizing of engines is not a Man in my opinion.

>
Do not fucking respond to these threads. Jesus it's not hard. Its literally the same text every time.

yep

thank you for the next couple of hours

Ohc vs pushrods.
>Turbocharged engines...

It makes less than 700 and no way it weighs that much with all the turbo and piping and dress.

>1990+27
>using camshafts

>It's the most demanding endurance race on this side of the earth.
How is it more demanding than Daytona 24?

it isn't. pushcucks on suicide watch

>Not to mention OHC is lighter and is more compact.
Wut

when can i buy a universal freevalve upgrade kit Christian ? i'm waiting !

Thanks for saying your opinion is stupid and everyone who holds it is dumb.

>t. pushcuck

>inane shitposting intensifies

How's Melbourne?

sperg more

>why aren't they used in any relevant racing series

Top Fuel Drag Racing here

OHC cannot compete

Why is the fastest wheel driven car pushrod powered?

>3.5 ecoboost
>700hp
Are you being retarded on purpose
But let's say it did let's look at the power curves of the 2 I can guarantee the lt4 is ganna make more power threw it's whole rev range
Stop bench racing bucko

Nah breah everything but "MUH 427 ELEPHANT" is banned

ecoboost makes power throughout the entire rpm range. you are stupid

In Forza maybe.

You're more than welcome to build a OHC 4 second car and race non nhra events. Let me know when that happens.

nice delusion

>NHRA
>allowing anything other than shitrods

>OHC is lighter, makes more power and is more compact
For the same displacement engine, it is neither lighter nor more compact.
You are a fucking idiot.
They are appropriate for select applications. Neither is necessarily better in all cases. I can defend that, but that's where I'll leave the statement. I don't have the patience to educate your stupid ass.
Thanks for your poorly worded rhetorical non-question that you appear not to want an answer to. Dumb fuck.

Please don't respond to alphonse threads.

Why would you use the same displacement, retard? OHC makes more power while being more compact

no problem

stay BTFO

NHRA banned OHC

>building a car so that you are not allowed to compete

Ecoboost also loves to grenade itself. Piece of shit engines.

Who are you and why do you constantly make these threads?

because watching gm fangirls sperg on command is fun

lol

Veeky Forums only like racing where shitboxes and boiricers have a chance .

Probably some fat British kid. Living on a tiny, shitty island with a history of inbreeding will do that.

wrong

im not British ??????? wtf???

He's an underageb& no-car nigger in the Vegas ghetto

30 fucking years and Ford still can't figure out a fucking sparkplug. This is the 300hp truck version of the motor. How the fuck do you think a 700hp version is going to hold up? Fordlets are fucking delusional.

fordstnation.com/top-stories/6506-3-blown-ecoboost-engines-ford-google-page-ranking-failure-nightmare.html

lol so triggered
>no direct injection
try again

Pushrods are literal trash tier and anyone defending them should fucking kill themselves.

How's that shitty 2V/cyl airflow treating you?
How are you enjoying peasant tier 6k RPM redlines?
How's it feel using antiquated technology?
How's it feel replacing bent pushrods?

Friendly reminder that sub-5L V6's are approaching pro-modified levels of power, without needing 9 fucking litres of displacement.

Friendly reminder that Ford have switched to using DOHC for the Modular/Coyote/Trinity etc. V8s.

Friendly reminder that even GM is beginning to use DOHC with the LT5 planned for the upcoming Corvette.

Literally only Chrysler is still using pushrods.

>MUH CHEVY VEE 8 THO
>MUH HEMI
>MUH NASCAR
>MUH DRAG RACING

This is why american engineering is the laughing stock of the entire automotive industry. Even Britain have been able to get with the times far prior.

Where's all the promod sub 5l dohc street cars? I'll wait. Those sub 5l engines need a rebuild after each race which is pointless. You might as well use a proper top fuel motor at that point. All that effort to beat an ancient pushrod motor build in some guys garage...

>video literally shows the car doing back-to-back runs

youtube.com/watch?v=wJ6d7Waz3Po

Your argument is fucking retarded. There are a select few street-legal promod cars in the world.

The fact that they are street-legal does not make them reliable as street-cars. Implying that they do is literally the most retarded thing I have heard in a long time.

Do you really think that a promod engine pushing 2500-4500 hp at full throttle is in any way reliable?

Newsflash: ALL race engines are built to be as powerful as possible and to last as long as they need to. Otherwise they wouldn't be competitive.

The drag week guys are doing 1000+ mile trips in their 3000hp cars with minor issues. Show me a sub 5l engine doing that, I'll give you lots of time, Don't worry.

>Do you really think that a promod engine pushing 2500-4500 hp at full throttle is in any way reliable?

Like a Camry, Fuck no. But they're more than capable of getting groceries and doing short trips. That's why those guys use "massive" engines.

There are, in fact, pushrod engines with four valves per cylinder.
Only seen them in heavy duty diesel engines, tho.

pretty much all engines can be run for extended periods at low throttle

keep an engine out of boost for cruising and it'll be making next to no power, putting very little stress on the internals. Especially so for built motors that are going to be MORE reliable than the stock counterpart when out of boost due to forged internals capable of taking far more stress.

It's ridiculous to think that
>muh big displacement
contributes in any way to reliability.

Yes, you'll a 9L V8 will obviously produce more power/tq out of boost and will indeed require less boost to produce the same power as a smaller engine.

They also have a crew of mechanics, a trailer full of spare parts, and are detuned for the trips between drag strips
So not impressive or relevant at all no matter how much you want it to be

>minor problems
Lmao, you are a fucking mongoloid

>bbbut american muscle loving dragfags use muh v8s Instead of other engines so that means!!!
It means dragfags love antiquated garbage because they are prisoners to muh nostalgia and baby boomer feels

Get the fuck out

boo fucking Hoo they have to pull over a couple times to adjust the carb or change a belt. Show me a sub 5l engine that'seven remotely capable of pulling that off. I can show you multiple videos and examples of $2m+ supercars breaking down that are making a 1/3 the power.

Why don't you build a dohc car and compete if it's so easy?

Lay off the vidya's man.

>a crew of mechanics
yeah a couple guys that have have to register to that specific drag week car and ride in that car the whole time, they're not allowed to follow in a rescue vehicle

>a trailer full of spare parts
oh god, how dare they try to be prepared incase the SHTF, and even the trailer is limited to a certain size