Manual vs Automatic

How hard is it to learn manual?

I've been cruising Craigslist and all the dope cars I want are all in manual. I had a motorcycle for a short time, so I know the general gist of shifting and all that. How difficult would it be to learn in a car?

Also, this car would be a daily commuter, so I'd have some light traffic on the way back home, so is a manual even doable or would I just be frustrated every day?

It's really not that hard. You'll learn in a day if you devote a few hours to it, and you'll get good after a few weeks of driving a standard regularly.

>Learned how in about 30 minutes on my friend's shitbox

Don't do manual on your daily.

Do manual in your weekend/fun car.

get the car on a day where you'll have the next day off of work
spend the day practicing around local residential streets and parking lots, slowly going to busier and busier roads
main thing to think about is just slowly and smoothly releasing clutch.
if you're not brain dead you'll be able to drive to work competently by the next day, but just make sure to focus on driving.
You WILL stall the car in as soon as you start driving close to other cars and feel nervous, just remain calm and try again, it's not a big deal.
getting comfortable too soon will also most likely lead to stalling, but that's just part of the learning process.
Don't fall for this meme, after a week you (probably) wont be stalling at all anymore, and driving standard as a daily really isnt bad at all, and can make that daily driving more interesting. You don't have to go out on a weekend drive to have fun in a standard.

not a meme if you daily something with enough torque to eat clutches on a regular basis no matter how good you are at shifting.

euro here
nobody i know owns, drives or cares about automatics
i learned driving with manuals and so does everybody here, if 16 year old stacies can do it i'm pretty sure you can do it as well

And replacing the clutch is what, like $700?

In EU you can't even get your licence without knowing how to drive Manual, it's hard to believe in the US most people don't even know how to shift gears.
-

Anyhow, it's very easy to do OP. You can get the hang of it in a hour.

It is pretty god damn stupid that we don't require it.

Notice how when people ask how to learn everyone says to buy a cheap car and practice; well nobody wants to spend time and money buying, insuring and fixing an old piece of junk just to learn a transmission.

It all depends. I live in a mountain area with lots of hills. It's a fucking nightmare to be stuck in traffic uphill since my shitbox doesn't have enough torque.
This is one of the few situations were I wouldn't recommend a manual.

Literally where do you live? India where you can be stuck in traffic for literally days? Its fine to daily almost anywhere.

As fucked as yurop is, at least you guys are smart enough that nobody believes in god(s) anymore. Not so in America, kingdom of the autotragic.

My daily and weekend are both manual and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

OP here, I live in Austin where infrastructure is total shit. Like I said, going to work is fine, but coming home around 430-5, I hit hella traffic. Also there's a big-ass hill I have to drive up to get to my place.

I sit in up to 2 hours traffic a day with hills so I bought an auto dd and I wish I'd just got another manual, it's just more fun. My weekend car has a heavy clutch which sucks in traffic but any car with a standard clutch will do fine.

I'm in Austin too, I daily my manuél Legacy just fine. No problems. I'd hate I-35 at rush hour just as much in an auto, manual isn't the problem.

You know you can press the accelerator while you are using the clutch, right?

I own a Lada Niva, live in a rural county with tons of hills and never got a problem.

When the clutch is starting to "push" the car you just accelerate a little

He'll never learn that way.

OP all 5 vehicles I own are manual, its not that hard.

Don't bother. All cars will be electric soon and that means no manny

oh for fuck sake, everybody in yurop drive manual, even woman. Do you have 2 hands ? You aren't mentally challenged , yes ?
Then just go and learn how to use a shifter. It's not like you'd have to deal with an 18 speed Eaton Fuller.

How hard is it to drive modern manual? My car is cable throttle and I tried a electronic throttle and it felt so much h different.

>driving auto for literally any reason

only challenging thing to learn with a stick is accelerating from a stop when on a steep incline WITHOUT rolling backwards. you can cheat with the handbrake though.

gear down you fag. I bet you lug