I'm going to be buy a car to replace my DD soon and have been obsessed with BMW v8s like the e34 530i and the e39 540i...

I'm going to be buy a car to replace my DD soon and have been obsessed with BMW v8s like the e34 530i and the e39 540i but have been worried about their reliability and besides the cooling system issues that are prevented with maintenance, their generally expensive upkeep
I just need help deciding on which model BMW v8 or reliable alternatives

Other urls found in this thread:

miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6200747079.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

juat gen an e92 m3

they definitely need caring for
and the more you spend upfront for a good example the less you pay in making up for bad maintenance

things generally don't break down all of a sudden, you see them coming a mile away and can budget time/money to fix them.

My mom had a 5spd 528i E39 and I drove a 6spd 540i E39 a few times. Very fun to drive but yes lots a little gremlins even with regular maintenance. Electrical issues with sensors and relays. And by "cooling system maintenance" you should overhaul it or you'll be plagued with issues. Suspension needed a lot of work as well on my mom's e39 before she got rid it. A lot of the plastics break easy on these cars, I don't think they like the florida heat.

I've been considering buying 540i because they're pretty cheap to buy but I probably shouldn't give up my problem-free 160k mi. lexus for a fun money pit.

Bumping for huge interest, Live in Wisconsin and looking at picking up a 540I M sport in the next year or so. All the examples around me seem to be in decent condition but i'm dead scared of that V8. Fuel mileage is NOT a concern. Help anons?

Get an E39 530i instead. The engine is simpler, lighter, and they have rack and pinion steering. Should make for a nimbler car overall, even if not as quick in a straight line. The inline 6 is also not plagued by timing chain guide issues.

>Intentionally buying overweight understeer with shit reliability

Really makes me think

I'm looking at one for 6.5k with 77k, it seems like a really clean example, it's the pic in the thread post, does it sound like a good deal?
LS400?

Then any suggestions?

is250

Is that 540i with 6spd? I'd buy it, could maybe bring them down a little in price, at least compared to the market where I live.

Damn that sounds like fun, I've been obsessing over the ls and gs 400s recently but I'm bored with automatics
But check it and out and lmk, I was gonna try to get a lower price but I'm also gonna take a loan out for it

miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6200747079.html

my is250 is a 6 speed, toyota didn't use a very good transmission for it though.

Is that really a sport package? doesn't look like it, usually they have bigger, better looking wheels and M badges. I saw a mint 540i m sport here in florida for 4-5k I think but with a shit ton of miles. I'd say 5-6k is fair for yours.

That's a very well kept car, good find

The only issues here are that bmw's v8's are not what I would call reliable. On the other hand the straight sixes are very reliable and use less gas. Bmw is known for their inline motors and that's what I've stuck to but if you're dead set on getting a v8 bmw then that would be a great choice

From what I understand the m-sport is only 2003 but I'll see how low I can get the guy
Not exactly dead set, but what would be a good i6 to try around that price range, I'm kinda just happy with the idea of almost 300 hp
Also are they unreliable because of mainly the cooling system or because of the timing chain too

Cooling systems yeah and gasket leaks, even the later renditions of their v8 have these issues that's what keeps me away.

The e39 530i is a great daily driver, gets good gas mileage and has enough hp to be fun. You could also look for an e46 330i or 335i coupe if you want something more lithe

>or reliable alternatives

Obviously doesn't have the build quality or the badge and isn't as handsome, but they'll have less miles, less wear, cheaper parts, an arguably better engine, and the suspension is a ripoff of the E39 so they handle well for a big car.

t. fag cuckboy

Even with low KMs you will need to overhaul the cooling system or risk overheating the motor and warping the heads.
Also check forums for info on your engine, I recall these motors having timing chain tensioner rails that get very fragile. That's a big job

Get an E46 325, 328, or 330.

Better, more reliable cars

Recently bought a e39 m sport. The first day I had it the neutral safety switch went out, and a window regulator went out. $600 just to have a car to drive again. Sold that shit can as soon as I got the title. Lots of people will swear by old BMW's here, but unless you personally know the entire history of the car its a crapshoot that WILL cost you thousands over a few years. Its 2017 the only e39s and e34s being sold these days are ones that are on their last German leg. Seriously I love the e39 but its just too old to be a cost effective option when you see what else you can get for.the same price range, no even could counting all the money your gonna put into just keeping it running.

>6.5k
seems kind of low.
when i bought my 540iT i paid 8k for it, and i kind of regret it since i'm making up a lot of maintenance. there were several 9 or 10k examples i SHOULD have jumped on because they were immaculate and super well cared for and would have had to do literally nothing to them when i got them.

make sure it a detailed service record and the previous owner was good about replacing things before they needed to be replaced

and to put things in perspective, here are a few things i want to do along with price tags

>replace all the suspension bushings as well as the shocks and springs: $1300 total
>swap the automatic transmission for manual, with a fresh clutch and flywheel and shifter bushings: $1800 total
>Do the timing chain guides, VANOS units, and all seals/gaskets along the way including the valley pan gasket: $1800 total

the only thing i really -need- to do right now is probably the front shocks but i want to do all of the above

actually the suspension would be $2600 total, since I'll be switching to an ST X coilover set which is $1100 on its own designed to play nice with the air springs in the rear of the wagon. I hear basically nothing but glowing reviews of it