How can someone justify paying 20K for a 17 year old car?

How can someone justify paying 20K for a 17 year old car?

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/university/economics/
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6206526480.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because the new version would cost like $60k?

Supply and demand.

investopedia.com/university/economics/

It doesn't depreciate. Porsches are collector items.

Someone paid 60k for it
Is a new Hyundai accent better than a used C5 corvette?
Same price
The only reason people buy new is because they are broke as fuck and can make payments over 7 years for a shitbox that will be worth 2k when their loan is done

$20k for a unique driving experience, high 4 second 0-60 and 180mph top speed isn't a bad deal.

>hubcaps in 2017

>Just pay $3000 more for the "popular equipment" package to get Alloy wheels!
>No manual transmission available in this trim

>3k on a 14k car
That moves you into e60 m5 territory

What do you say to your peers when they say you're stupid for buying an old "performance" car for the price of a new econobox?

How does it feel to get laughed at for showing up in an old car to a party?

*pays 1k a year in repairs*

Or dint be an idiot and buy the base model with the MT and go to the parts department and order a set of the alloys from the up trim and save a couple thousand dollars?

why buy a new car I don't want and is boring to drive when I can have a old car that I love and actually look forward to driving every day.

Why not buy an old econobox for 1/10th the price and spend the other 9/10ths on a performance car?
You can get a good running camry with 90k miles for 4k and then spend 10k on w/e you want like a 05+ mustang
Sadly everyone is poor as fuck and cant manage to save even 3k for a shitbox so they buy a new shitbox and make payments of 480 a month forever

You'd be surprised how normies make generalizations on things. To them, sports cars are unobtainable and expensive. Buy a clean C5 and you'll be envied when you probably spent less money than they did. The trick is a clean one. Not something that looks like from Joe Dirt

100% true
Vast majority of people cant tell how old a car is unless its looks like shit and is beatup/dirty as fuck
People always giving me thumbs up in my c5
Maybe because its loud and cammed or maybe because it looks nice with nice wheels not sure

who the fuck cares, its a 911, its still cooler than a c7

u a dumb m8

Only signature builds with low production serial numbers really.

Guy on rennlist has a 220k 911 R for sale with 50 miles. Asking 450k and wouldn't doubt he gets a buyer for 400k.

t. Porsche owner

Yeah maybe a salvage title

Your shitty 1996 911 Carrera is not a collector's item.

wrong...
Here clean title 89k miles 18k

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6206526480.html

>89k on a sports car

That car is already dead m8

>How can someone justify paying 20K for a 17 year old car?

Practicality does not dictate purchases 100% of the time, same reason why people are willing to spend $60K on the new Civic Type R.

>89,000 miles on a post 1990s german car
>Tempe, Arizona

Unless that car has been garaged by a 65-year old man, its just a massive moneypit with an aged finish waiting for a sucker to get hooked.

It is when you can buy a faster motorcycle for $5k

yep, it is.

when Singer restores it, but that's a bit more than 17 years

>for $5k
Hahah. You'll get a 30,000 mile 2005 ninja 600 that's been down once (three or four times), never serviced at a dealer (valve checks and spark plugs are memes), and adult owned (wheelied every day) for that price.

A recent model sportbike in good condition commands upwards of 2/3s of it's MSRP, not 1/3, unless it's from the fucking 90s.

Find me a 1996 Porsche 911 for under $40k

How can someone justify paying $55.8M for a 54 year old car?

Kind of OT but I always kek when I see EAS photos on Veeky Forums. I used to work with a shop that had a sort of "partnership" with them (we'd send them cars for dyno work, they'd send us cars for fabrication and race alignments) and there's a good chance I know the guy who took that.

because it's a porsche, you fucks.

how can someone justify spending 500k for a house when you can just live in a caravan park?

why are they so expensive, jesus christ

Performance car values bottom out at about 20 yrs. After that, it's an investment that you can drive. Plus, with depreciation eliminated, most classics can expect an average rate of return that outperforms index funds. That's probably why it's the second most popular tangible that the 1% invest in.

A

Last of the aircooled 911s.

I love my bike but having a car you love is a completely different experience (not a porsche for me personally)
>$5k getting you a shit bike
I got an '09 CBR600rr in mint condition with all the service records for $4k with 9k miles. Just gotta shop a little but its easy to get a great bike for $5k

such a beautiful car. also dat v10. I think it is still the fastest n/a sedan in the world

>Enjoy every ride in my e46 m3
vs
>Being dead inside in a new nissan econobox

Hmm.

>2017 Nissan LEAF
>Starting MSRP $30,680*
wew

>unreliable car that needs thousands of dollars to upkeep
vs
>new car with warranty and knowing your car will not leave you stranded on the highway

Hmmm, gee, I dont know... Good taste in cars perhaps?

an e46 will never leave you stranded on a highway
i drove my heavily neglected 325i across the whole europe in a non-stop 31 hour trip on autobahns (avg. speed 120 mph)
check engine light on, low oil pressure light, broken rear spring, very very old oil.
the car never skipped a beat, still runs perfect

>Only signature builds with low production serial numbers really.

you clearly haven't been on rennlist long enough

This is true. I was shocked when I got a 1996 Miata and then a 2004 Mustang and everyone over the age for 40 that I ran into couldn't get over how "nice" my cars were. Even though both of them together cost me about $6500.