/sqt/

/sqt/ - stupid question thread
So, while i was high on sugar last night i tried to eliminate the no-combustion-stroke of a piston engine, so every stroke can be a combustion stroke for every cylinder.
So i relocated the exhaust port to a place where gases can only exit when the piston is a Bottom Dead center. This may or may not require a vacuum pump to clear the cylinder in time.
Please ignore obvious shortcomings of my highly professional schematics (absence of spark plugs, etc) and tell my why exactly this wouldnt work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mrhsUXnodfw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shit i'm still trying to buff out:
>right-side cylinder oil film
>exhaust port always-open or a mechanical flap
>more intake valves and spark plugs
>how much succ is needed for clearing the gases out of the cylinder in time

Sooo you have basically reinvented a two stroke engine?

FUCK
Why do cars not use 2strokes anymore?

Basically 2 stroke diesel requires a supercharger to start it.

Pardon my ignorance, but this seems like making a two stroke albeit with as many points of failure as 4 stroke.

The vacuum pump would have to move some seriously large volumes of air.

Because their shit and too simple. at least the crank case breathing 2 strokes. They have less torque as well but the 4 stroke looses a 2 cycles to the 2 stroke so the 2 stroke appears to have more torque. 4 strokes have better volumetric efficiency.

Efficiency and 'powerband'.
Twostrokes rely on scavenging and as a result, can only be tuned efficiently in rather narrow bands of exhaust velocity.
A vacuum pump would alleviate this, but introduces another parasitic loss at the sake of a tuned vacuum via exhaust velocity, more or less a free pump.

Two stroke diesels are far better in this regard, but rely of slow-burning fuels at rather high compression ratios - again in a narrow band due to fuel burning speeds.

Why not just use TS3's in everything?

> More Power
> More Reliable
> More Efficient
> More Power
> Better Sounding
> Did I mention more power?

Honestly, if we kept on with the TS4's then everything would be running them

>Air pump
>Too simple

Thats what i figured. I was thinking about why rotaries are banned from so many race series because of their continous combustion design and tried to make a piston engine with the same goal going from a "normal" 4stroke car engine.
Basicly to be able to say "its not an unfair advantage for a rotary, its simply a shortcoming of 4stroke piston engines".

(Yes, I'm possibly autistic)

Don't you get a continous combustion from 5 cylinder and up four stroke engine as well?

Having an imagination is not a sign of autism, a lack of intricate knowledge in the designs of ICE is simply a handicap.

Moto GP had different CC rules for vtwins and I4's, mostly because of power output, but also because of power delivery (and ducati being fucking scumbags). Each design has its pros and cons, but I see no harm in thinking outside the box.

Yes, but a far lower specific output.

No, because every individual cylinder has to use one unpowered stroke to clear out the exhaust gases from the powered stroke. I meant individual continous combustion per cylinder.
So instead of
fire > clear > fire > clear for a normal 4stroke cylinder i'd like a
fire > fire > fire > fire setup like in a 2stroke piston or a rotary.

external combustion does not have this problem
you be wanting double action and triple stage engines

now in .gif form

and multi stage

thats some trippy shit

You have the intake air fighting the piston on the intake stroke

Even if you had forced induction you would still be pushing the air out of the cylinder while trying to force it in at the same time.

ru dumb
the intake and exhaust strokes overlap

Emissions. Ever seen a Trabant leave a cloud of smoke behind it?

This. Induction is produced by the vacuum effect caused by the piston moving downwards. Trying to force air in during a compression stroke would require insane amount of pressure.

It might be possible if you have a huge diesel engine powering a massive turbocharger. But that defeats the point.

Intake in the same stroke of compression would not work well... Instead of "sucking" air in, you are pushing it back out.

You can do what a 2stroke does and pushes the air in when also exhausting.

>autism powered engine
I want one

2-stokes are exempt from emission standards, well trabis and wartburgs are anyway

Y not just make a rotary engine???

That's an age thing, not a 2-stroke thing. Vehicles have to adhere to regulations in effect on the date of their first registration, not later ones.

might as well just use a turbine

Is there a 'bug bomb' for cars? I found a shitload of yellowjacket/wasp nests in a car that I bought, mostly inside of the quarter panels and behind the doors and mirrors.

No, just age. Cars made without rear seatbelts are still registerable without seatbelts as the laws came into effect after their production.

Why not just put combustion chambers in the wheels and the combustion energy directly turns the wheels forward???? lmao drivetrain cucks btfo

Just do auto suicide but not be in the car, see if that works.

Might stink a bit tho.

Just use a regular bug bomb, but I would unhook the battery just to be safe.

When do I blip the throttle for rev matching? From the few youtube videos that I saw i noticed that people just do it while the clutch is pressed but does it matter if the car isn't in neutral before I do it?

So suppose I'm shifting from 3rd gear to 2nd gear.
>Push clutch all the way in
>Blip throttle
>Move shift knob from 3rd gear to 2nd gear
>Lift foot off of clutch

Is that correct? Or do I HAVE to blip the throttle while it's in neutral? ie.
>Push clutch all the way in
>Move shift knob from 3rd gear to neutral
>Blip throttle
>Move shift knob from neutral to 2nd gear
>Lift foot off of clutch

Thanks in advance.

how much does it usually cost to have a machine shop bore and hone a four cylinder engine?

Nah, the car is, in a way, in neutral when you push down the clutch. Also, you usually wanna do two blips so you don't get engine braking, or just do it fast enough.

Way I do it:
>Push clutch
>Blip throttle as I'm moving into gear
>Put into gear
>Blip throttle again
>Lift clutch

>in a way, in neutral
in neutral, the transmissions counter-shaft is rotating along with the engine.

in gear with the clutch pedal pressed, the counter-shaft is not moving at all (unless it is winding down)

also, why do you overly complicate things? lrn to heel toe

>in gear with the clutch pedal pressed, the counter-shaft is not moving at all
in gear with the clutch in or out, it is moving with the wheels, but probably at a different speed

Reverse your intake and exhausts and you have a 2 stroke Detroit.

>breaks out a simplified explanation even though end result is the same
>suggests driving technique that might be hard for beginners
why do you overly complicate things?

the sooner you learn it, the easier it is to learn. old habits get in the way of learning new things

harbor freight hand tools, yes or no?

So, you tried to reinvent the two-stroke engine?
An obsolete engine design, that's high on maintenance and low on efficiency?

But what if you know how to make pistons, but don't have the delicate machining or high-temperature metals to make a turbine?

I mean, granted, my grandparents used to use a hydropower turbine that dated back to 1928, but steam turbines weren't really around then.

piston engines have better fuel efficiency at low speed, why do you think only a handful of turbine trains have been made

If you can't justify the proper quality, sure.

AAAAAH! An engine with 3 moving parts!

Complexity of maintenance, not necessarily the cost, but because you have a bunch of old gits that have done diesel for the last 40 years and have 0 clue about turbine. Would require training an entirely new set of workers, entirely new set of workshops/fabrications and supply lines for said things - as before, only old gits working on diesels currently.

>implying that turbines weren't emerging at the same time as piston diesels
S2 GTEL and turboliner are all old as shit

I want a 2nd car but don't have a lot of options because our budget is limited.

4-6k, automatic (wife cannot into manual), small SUV. No down payment, no trade in. Excellent credit though (750+).

What I want is a 2nd/3rd gen 4runner but I am open to other options if they are good.

We plan on trading the car in for a newer one in a few years after I graduate uni (infosec).

I just completed this. Would Veeky Forums care to critique it and provide any advice or thoughts?

>An engine with 3 moving parts!
Even a fucking water wheel has more than three moving parts, dumbshit. Simplicity is not always good, unless it's being maintained and fixed by monkeys.
Although you seem like you're american, so you're pretty much monkeys anyway.

>why do you think only a handful of turbine trains have been made
Gas turbines drink fuel like crazy.
Fuel is expensive.
Burning hot exhaust is dangerous.
None of the maintenance staff can fix a turbine.
Existing suppliers can't build a turbine.
R&D costs are prohibitive.
Any weight loss would be countered by needing 5x the amount of fuel.
Weight is a positive thing in a locomotive.

>When do I blip the throttle for rev matching?
You don't, and you let the synchros do that for you.

If you don't have a synchronised gearbox, you should have been trained in it's use when you got your CDL.

Please elaborate why ducatti are scumbags.

t. Interested

>Two stroke
>High on maintenance

Pick one.

youtube.com/watch?v=mrhsUXnodfw

>Although you seem like you're american, so you're pretty much monkeys anyway.
>guys, have I called Americans stupid yet? Americans are stupid! :D Am I le funny yet?

Only the ignorant generalize with ignorance.

>Even a fucking water wheel has more than three moving parts, dumbshit.
If you aren't counting the pins that parts are rotating on as separate parts and count parts that rotate as a fixed unit as one part (such as the crankshaft and the flywheel), then a single cylinder 2 stroke engine does indeed have only 3 moving parts.

On a side note, does anyone know how hard it would be to get something with an old 2 stroke engine running again if it isn't running currently. I've seen quite a few older project mopeds for sale near me and some have new after market parts to increase engine displacement ~50% for a bit more power. It seems like it could be a fun project.

Bought my first car recently, an opel corsa-c 1.1 year 2002. I can't find a manual anywhere to see what tire pressure should be, anyone know where i can find a manual or at least the tire pressure?

Tyre pressure, even

Is it possible to drive 1800km with a 3 cylinder / 60 hp car?

My girlfriend and literally their whole german family told me "that car is not made for long distances".

1300 km, 1.8l 4 cylinder / turbocharged / 90bhp, 1.2 tonne diesel car

Don't fall for the small engine = small fuel consumption bullshit

I mean it won't be very enjoyable but why the hell not. What car is it?

If the car struggles to accelerate at highway speeds and has to rev really high to reach highway speeds then it probably isn't the best thing for the car. Otherwise go right ahead.

2004 Cooper failed MOT mates

Steering rack leak somewhere. Anticipating full replacement because kwik fit will probably not even bother trying to source the leak and just tell me to replace the entire unit.

My question is have you ever had bad experiences with chain garages? My brother implied they wouldn't even bother checking if it's just a seal or tube that's leaking but just confirm there's a leak then tell me to replace it. Do they do this a lot? Did I fuck up not going to an approved mini garage?

Just go to a non chain garage if they tell you that

I can get a 1998 328is in great condition or a 2002 Subaru WRX in okay condition for the same price. What do?

so i bottomed out my car going ~40 mph through an intersection with a hidden dip, ever since the engine has sounded a lil clunky, particularly in park, i think i'm not imagining a creak when I turn, and braking just right causes a squeak now. Final symptom seems to be a little more resistance upon accelerating than I remember before, been trying to watch gas consumption, not sure if there's any delta there.

Am I imagining it or does this sound bad? I've got an inspection scheduled for this week and will pay to fix something that's broken, but I'd love an idea of what to expect.

2017 Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger.

V8 if possible, price range between 30k-60k

What are the pros and cons? No stupid black-and-white "thing is awful, other thing is amazing", and please no arguing about american vs European unless you have a specific suggestion.

desu it's probably just in your head but take a look underneath just to be safe

Cool fidget spinners

I looked but there's not much to see, can't see anything vital one way or another

it would get wobbly around 70-75 before, seems to get the same wobbles around 50-55 sometimes now

Do you use an app to keep your car service records or pen and paper?

Used MyCars on android, but lost all my records when I upgraded phone

What's an American-made car that's the closest to an Audi A4?

IIRC, V4's were allowed 750cc whereas Ducati lobbied very hard to allow a higher limit for Vtwins, which was fair, relative to peak power output on the straights (I think the 888 and 916 are the culprits). Because of the way V's deliver power in large, but infrequent pulses, this allowed the rear to absorb the power far more controllably and gave them an advantage out of corners alongside the lower RPM torque output (and 33% more of it).

They cleaned the track with that bump in displacement.
I think they did/tried the same with their V4, claiming it's not a V4 or something.

>Knows he's wrong, pulls out his box of racism and assumptions in equal amounts.
Technically, a water wheel has 2 moving parts, depending on the design.
>Hur dur, le teetily tur
Just admit you're wrong, user.
>A mechanism with more moving parts is inherently better than one with less that can be maintained by members of your genus
Dumbshit indeed.

I want to hook up an amp using my stereo connector. The connector outputs at 15v, but the amp takes 12v DC. Could I attach a DC plug to the power outputs and power the amp that way?

So with all the car companies moving to smaller, more efficient engines, how come nobody offers a turboed 4 cylinder in a V configuration? I'm genuinely curious. Is there some inherent flaw of the V4 design? Would it even need a balance shaft or would it naturally balance?

What exactly is the stereo connector output?
RCA style plugs? If so, that's the signal output, but generally those should be in the 5v range.

The amp needs 12VDC and really, should only be connected to the battery, at least on the positive side with a fuse and nowhere else.

I propose that all machinery should be made too complex for an american to maintain. This includes food packaging, so they all starve.
That would solve 90% of automotive problems in a few months.

Disable 911 calls for the duration, just in case fatty sympathizers try to help them open blocks of cheese with packaging MKII.

Polo Slowmotion, Up!/CityGo/Mii, Aygo/C1/107/8 and the likes can easily do 1800km.
A big car would be more comfortable, but it's not like they can't.
I've done more in a 2003 Yaris 1.3L with three other adults.

how do i swap blinker fluid?

Depends on model, but you have to make sure to have the right fluid, otherwise your car might explode.
I suggest taking it to a mechanic, just to be sure.