/ORG/

/ORG/ - Offroad General - Searchable edition

New thread, because the old thread was a piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/200W-9-inch-HID-Driving-Lights-Xenon-Spotlights-Offroad-4X4WD-UTE-Truck-12V-/232088674930
stedi.com.au/st4k-22-inch-double-row-40-led-light-bar.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dcSD5cev3ys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Put that mall-crawler back where it belongs

hahaha :D

>tfw you will never live in empty Scandinavia and drive an offroad truck

Has anyone bought a pair of those cheap ebay HID spotlights? I know the ebay LEDs have crap distance, but given HIDs inherent strength is their distance maybe they aren't so bad for under $100?

My vehicle is worth like 2k so spending half its value on high quality lights that will just get stolen anyway isn't really an option

"those cheap ebay HID spotlights"

You know, when you're referring to a product its always a damned good idea to give a link to the product in question, or at the very least to similar products

What's the best /inclement weather/ fuck you tank?

A friend claims it's the Range Rover, but my cousin says RR's are meme cars.

Also; hail fucking Satan

Range Rovers are way too wide, long, heavy and so on

Not sure what you mean about inclement weather, but in my experience a Toyota LJ73 is a pretty fucking good option

what does ORG think of Manual/Turbo Foresters?

ones like these

ebay.com.au/itm/200W-9-inch-HID-Driving-Lights-Xenon-Spotlights-Offroad-4X4WD-UTE-Truck-12V-/232088674930

>inclement weather

Heavy rain, fresh unplowed snowfall, high winds, naturally occurring hazardous weather.

great for popping a pan and leaving you stranded

is the s10 zr2 good?

yes

Your average run-of-the-mill chinese HID spotlights. They'll give you decent lighting for sure as long as the ballast and bulbs are decent - but, a good ballast is often quite big, and the biggest actual good ballast I've seen fitted inside the lights was a 65w ballast inside an NBB 9" lamp - 100W ballasts inside 9" lights usually means either you're gonna have overheating issues, or the ballasts might be a tad undersized

As for the lamp itself - 100W inside 9" can work fine, but I'd never run them when you're driving at low speed for extended periods (unless you live in a cold climate like mine during winter).

LED is the best lighting you'll get for offroading tho - takes more punishment both in getting smacked and the vibrations, plus they give you more light per watt compared to halogen and and xenon

Ah... any non-retardedly low sitting car with a smart driver and good tires then

this was the other option I was looking at, claimed 500m @ 1 lux

stedi.com.au/st4k-22-inch-double-row-40-led-light-bar.html

How are Wranglers naturally in the snow?

Stedi is an alright brand, or so I've read and been told. Still, 1 lux at 500m is quite hefty for a bar that small - my 50 inch Rigid, with its 10w diodes and INSANE long mid-beam is rated at 1 lux at 800m. I have no issue believing that a 22" bar could reach that also with the right concentration and quality, but the question would be how much of the illumination on the areas it sacrifices, and just how big the 500m cone is

As good as the tires its on...
Depends on what you mean by "in snow". Digghting through deep amounts of snow its quite alright due to its tall ground clearance and their usual wide tires

On ice and light layers of snow ontop of ice/hard ground - somewhat sketchy for the same reasons as above

Still; its all in the driving and the tires

Stedi is an alright brand, or so I've read and been told. Still, 1 lux at 500m is quite hefty for a bar that small - my 50 inch Rigid, with its 10w diodes and INSANE long mid-beam (pictured) is rated at 1 lux at 800m. I have no issue believing that a 22" bar could reach that also with the right concentration and quality, but the question would be how much of the illumination on the areas it sacrifices, and just how big the 500m cone is

As good as the tires its on...
Depends on what you mean by "in snow". Digghting through deep amounts of snow its quite alright due to its tall ground clearance and their usual wide tires

On ice and light layers of snow ontop of ice/hard ground - somewhat sketchy for the same reasons as above

Still; its all in the driving and the tires

>Digghting through deep amounts of snow its quite alright due to its tall ground clearance and their usual wide tires
>On ice and light layers of snow ontop of ice/hard ground - somewhat sketchy for the same reasons as above

Tire quality being equal:

So, high snow = high car for high clearence

Low snow, ice = heavy low boat for weight distribution and handling

Same guy. An analogy:

The snow or rain you're trying to get through, in relation to your car is the same as a person.

IF you're trying to walk through two feet of unplowed snow on a hill, you stand upright, stay light on your feet, and lift your legs up to kinda bounce through it. (High clearence, wide tries.)

If you're trying to cross a snowy or icy parking lot, you squat down, spread your hands out to increase your weight distribution and center of gravity. (Lower clearance, medium tires, heavy body)

You still need to be wearing decent shoes (snow tires) and not be retarded (driving skills) for each, but both are mutually exclusive to conditions.

youtube.com/watch?v=dcSD5cev3ys

Pretty much

Having weight on the tires is also a huge benefit. Ride height doesn't really do *all* that much on the ice grip under normal circumstances as you're gonna break sideways traction before you get any serious bodyroll, its more that the soft/tall suspension allows for that little body roll being needed to break that sideways traction

Equal weight distribution is alright, but you'll often find that RWD vehicles are too light in the ass even with relatively equal distribution, and pickups without 4WD/pickups in 2HI even worse

I built this box last winter, filled it up with about 220kg/500 pounds of concrete slabs in an effort to see just how much of a difference it makes

2HI (RWD) without the box and the shitty winter tires it came with; no chance to get up hills, broke traction really quickly
2HI with the box and shit tires; acceptable grip, but I'd still need to put it in 4HI to get up the steeper parts
2HI with the box and good tires; damned good grip in all aspects, very rarely needed to engage the 4HI (steeper hill starts, pulling people out, trailer pulling)
2HI without box and with good tires - still quite alright, but a very definite difference. Still some places I would need 4HI, but not for the daily commute and regular snowfalls

The order of importance, in my mind, for winter driving is;
>the driver
>tires
>weight on the driven axle(s)
>car configuration (FR, FF, FA and so on)
Small note tho; the driver aspect kinda works ontop of all of the others, as a good driver is one who has the proper equipment and car for the environment he will be driving in

As for the deep snow offroad driving and so on; you want a low weight, as fat and aggresive tires as you can get, lockers, tall fucking ride, and the ability to run as low pressure on the tires as they and the wheel can handle

Really low gearing also helps

>searchable edition
>doesnt search catalog for an /org/ before posting this one
yup

>h-hey guys i made a new thread
>w-whT?
>NO IDIOT! of course i didnt post the "new" thread in the old thread!
>W-WHY ISNT ANYONE POSTING IN MY THREAD
Fuck off fag. You done fucked up.

Satan is my senpai

>Buy 2WD S10
>install ZR2 fender flares, graphics, wheel spaces, and sharpie in the RPO
>profit $2000
I do intend on buying a parts truck and installing the rear axle and fender flares on mine. Kinda feel like it would be a form of truck rice though.

Every ZR2 has either been babied by it's single owner, or has been driven into the ground. Seams like here in Ontario $5000-$7000 is what a good ZR2 will go for, while clapped out ones range from $500-$2000. ZR2 frames like to crack between the bed and the cab where the frame normally went from being boxed to c channel. S10forums are pretty good for learning stuff about them.

>Turboner
I have one, but not for that piece of shit.

Is that a Suzuki Samurai?

Yeah I was originally in the market for a Ford Ranger Sport but bought this thing on impulse. I've had a bunch of fun with it so far but at times I hate it, usually when I'm getting pulled out of something that almost anything else wouldn't have a problem getting through. It was probably one of the top 100 condition unmodified s10's left since its almost completely rust free, in 6/10 cosmetic condition, 9.5/10 mechanically, 82K KM, and 3 previous owners. But I really could've gotten a much more offroad capable truck for $4000. At least there's barely any rounded off/stripped bolts and I've learned from owning this that I definitely want 4WD and a crew cab like a ZR5. Won't be as bad when I replace my 27in tires with 31/10.5/15 BFG KO2's, a 3in lift, and actually put my winch on.
>implying I'll ever do a SAS or even a ZR2 rear axle swap

Mikhayla: like Mikayla or Michaela, but doubles as horse bedding

what

Baby bundera so cute.

Was gonna get one, ended up sas 'ing my Toyota surf

$1500 will get you a D44, 14 bolt, beadlocks, and 37s.

Some people make a big deal over it but it's really pretty simple to do.

Yeah that't not far off from the plan. I'm sure I could actually do it since it doesn't seam that hard really. I'll end up getting a transfer case once if I can get a ZR2 parts truck anyway. I wouldn't put any bigger than 35's on an s10 though. Ultimately this truck is going to be used to haul other offroad toys into the sticks, drive over curbs, and drive fast on unmaintained/dirt roads, and do burnouts anyway so IFS isn't the biggest deal, but it's still 2WD the way it is now.

Do you even flex :-)

nice old goat you got there

different angle

Friend has Toyo addiction problem and I just want to fit in.

pizza cutters

Next to a typical 33x12.5

Am i doing it right?

Pizzacutters are alright

yes, but with the wrong vehicle

That small blue one is proper Subaru 4wd.

4wd means all wheels get stuck where as 2wd only gets 2 wheels stuck

Thats what I'm talkin about.

HARDCORE AS FUCK

:-)

Such shiny cars yet this was my friends Hilux while he lived in NOK land.

>that dent
Hm, looks familiar

Just out of question, what made you decide to weld plates over the dent rather than pop it out and bondo it?

It's my friends car. Kinda started as small repair but got out of control.

I just paid my best bud (professional body worker, and a good one at that) to fix it up for me

He then just used these big rods of tin, melting it onto the steel and then filing it down

aaand end-result (terrible photo)

so move there, faggot?

my benis

>crying 2wd hill climber pls go

zr2 are 4wd

>tfw no lc
How did you get those hood louvers?

>everyone tells me to take the running boards and flares off
>i keep them on and let nature rip them off one at a time for me
Perfect.

Post more. Buy an FJ76.

>unaware of kewl org maymays

not my truck i cant remember what that guy got them from. some 80s car iirc and then cut out spots and through them in.

>still intact and not ripped off in the picture

>when soccer bae comes grocery getting
>we need to go forage for wild strawberries and maybe buy a turkey (tag)
>"i know! we'll take the lexus!"

whoops. wrong picture

I got raped off road.
Let that sink in....

kek
looks like its time for a deflare and a rear bumper
4x4 labs anyone?

that's a cool AR

>keymod
>cool
NO.

Does anyone one Veeky Forums actually drive this thing?

a few people do

pretty fucking gay though L M A O

good luck on the other side

at least I don't drive a jeep

fair enough friendo

ded thread

no it isn't. you're thinking of:
hi paul

That's not Paul.

Hi Paul!

>exposed cat
>hanging muffler