Car detailing

>car detailing
Why is it so satisfying?

doing it yourself or having it done?

Washed and waxed mine today, felt good
What else do you guys use on your cars?

imo the best and most comprehensive guide to follow is the super clean video by chrisfix, for interior detailing the channel car cleaning guru has some good videos

I put my own cum in the soap bucket with the car soap

It let's me be closer to my car and adds lubrication

I clean my car almost every week - 2/3 weeks. I just love maintaining that showroom fresh look. Been doing it this way since I bought it about 6 months ago

>the best and most comprehensive guide to follow is the super clean video by chrisfix
It's a good guide and ChrisFix mostly avoids shilling for product brands even if their brands and names are displayed. He calls the Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax a sealant though. That's technically allowable just as the fully synthetic Turtle Wax ICE paste wax is also a sealant. But rather than being exactly and literally correct, a figurative gray line needs to be drawn between waxes and items whose only purpose is to be chemical sealants.

To his credit, ChrisFix addressed the common pitfall many people have of confusing polishes with waxes. He cautioned people to not use "polish" on a regular basis as that eats away at the clear coat.

And ChrisFix has the same experience as me (although mine has been with different cars) when hand washing and hand waxing from day one of a new car purchase - the paint continues to look new. I've proven it to myself with three cars all bought new. I certainly will keep on waxing all my future cars. I don't go overboard with waxes. I just rewax if the current wax coat is gone. And I use a sealant once per year.

My current sealant is the Turtle Wax ICE sealant which actually does seem to survive through commercial car washes. Tested twice before I lost my nerve and stopped testing. I was also testing the car wash for scratching at the same time. It didn't seem to scratch the paint, but looking at the chrome trim (high spots of the car), I saw some new fine scratches appear. End of testing. Brown Bear car wash fails. No wonder so many people's chrome looks like a shiny matte finish (totally scratched even though it still shines). New chrome is like a mirror that you can see your face details and should not be a matte finish resulting from commercial car washes.

Because autism

t. Autismlord: Revenge of the OCD

my hands smell like the sweet spray wax after

>Why is it so satisfying?
I hate waxing
It's like masturbation without the orgasm except that both my arms are tired after doing it

>masturbation without the orgasm
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, because I put that free arm to use

>except that both my arms are tired after doing it
It is damn easy to apply and take off. AND fast too. I used liquid wax whether it was Meguiar's Gold Class or Turtle Wax ICE. If you are in good physical shape, then you are probably using too much wax. Remember that only a thin layer sticks to the painted surface and everything else is removed. So it is pointless to put it on very thickly. It just becomes more tedious to remove.

If you are in good shape, then switch to full synthetic. It's easy to apply since you don't have to be so tedious and fussy about applying it and avoiding areas. It is easy to take off because there is no tediousness in removing it from trim or cracks as it will not turn powdery white which is a carnauba wax problem.

You'll find the two major brands of synthetic wax products to be non-tiring to use. Just use enough microfiber towels to wipe off the excess after the curing period.

You should consider switching to either Meguiar's Ultimate or Turtle Wax ICE. Both are fully synthetic waxes with good durability. They come available in paste and liquid forms. Turtle Wax ICE has a true separate paint sealant while meguiar's simply says their wax has sealant properties and thus gets the word sealant in the description. Turtle Wax didn't try that approach of abusing words. For car wax users, the terms "polish" and "sealant" have been long abused terms and has resulted in confusing among many customers.

it soothes the autism

It's really relaxing for me, like a zen meditation type of thing, very few things are comparable.

When I start cleaning and waxing the hours just fly by. I won't lie it gets tedious at times but it's all worth it when I finish up and see how beautiful I made her look

>When I start cleaning and waxing the hours just fly by.
Hours? If I were doing things casually (but still fast), it takes me slightly over 2 hours from prepping to watch to cleaning up and putting away all materials after waxing. If I pushed myself by pretending it was both a speed and quality contest, then it would be slightly over one hour. But I have convenient tools to make everything fast and I also have enough space to work properly both outdoors and in the low dust garage.

I open the inner door to let air from the house enter the garage. I turn on the garage's HEPA. I open the garage door, take the car out, and close the garage door. The air inside the garage is now being cleaned. The garage gets filtered air once I close the main garage door and reverse pressurize the garage by opening the house door from the mudroom. Air comes in from the house and that is triple filtered clean air. The garage has its own portable HEPA air filter device bought from Sam's Club. That means I worry far less about dust and atmospheric grit on the car's surface.

After washing and drying with cloths outside, I move the car into the garage. I then open all car doors to let the seals dry although I've already dried the jambs when the car was outdoors. I vacuum the interior.

Now I apply synthetic wax all over the car but don't wipe it off. While the synthetic wax cures, I now detail the insides. That includes putting a microfiber cloth on a handle and quickly wiping the interior windshields of any deposited oils from air fresheners or atmospheric grime.

I now wipe the excess synthetic wax off the car. This approach is both faster and easier than alternating waxing one panel, wiping one panel, etc. I can take advantage of this due to not having dust settle on the car. That's why the wax company wants you to wipe up fast even before optimal curing because of the worry that users will do it outdoors and grind dust onto the paint.

Oh hey I clean alot of cars

I should really take more before and after pics. Some trucks are super dirty inside and out

>having tools
>having a garage
>not being a poor college student
Lucky you, seriously I'm dreaming about the day I can finally get my own place with a garage and tools. It takes me hours because I literally do everything by hand using mf towels, cloth pads and foam pads

Something about putting in so much elbow grease makes me appreciate it more, though I'm probably just trying to make myself feel better about not having my own place.

Sounds like you take really good care of your car man, that's great! Sick of seeing cars get neglected with dirty ass rims that look like they've been powder coated with brake dust.

Any other people here detail for a living? I've been doing it for almost two years now. Pay is better than minimum wage, I work at my own time, and I genuinely enjoy it.

I've been doing it for 7 years now, and I hate doing it for work, however doing it to my own car is very soothing. I mostly hate it for the shit conditions I work in though.

anything that delivers effect proportionally to effort is satisfying.

i'm not really detailing, but one time i did general car cleaning - with front seat removal, sucking out dirt from every nook and cranny, plastics cleaning everywhere. it was nice to see the car completely clean from inside for the first time.

you work for Enterprise?

I'm trying to get out of it after 2 years, it doesn't pay that well here because there's TONS of competition and I have to do things for cheap to get any business. Most people don't care that you take extra autism steps in detailing their car, they just want the best result for the least amount of money. I'm sure that would be different if I were doing nicer cars, but there's nobody around here that owns cars worth more than 80k. I've acquired a lot of awesome tools and learned some great skills for using on my own cars though. I'm thinking about becoming a mechanic next, then I'll be pretty well-rounded when it comes to maintaining my car.

waxing is annoying. Takes me whole day but its only once every few months and I do 2-3 layers. Maybe I'm using too much wax.
Washing isn't that bad anymore, used to hate it but now its kind of enjoyable to the point I don't postpone it.

My car stays clean too unless passangers come in which case passanger footwell gets dirty.

>satisfying
it's autistic as fuck

Nobody said it wasn't.

>it's autistic as fuck
I remember in high school the jealous people would say achieving high scores on exams was autistic as fuck. The autism term is all worn out from being misused all the time by jealous or salty people.

Cleaned and waxed yesterday. Machine polished and sealed about two months ago.

About how much is too much for a full detail? I haven't washed my car and have never detailed it

You fucking faggot, quit using shitty effects. That sharpness is fucking disgusting.

Images are too big to upload, have to screenshot from my phone. No effects.

I love it.

Then downsize them retard.

Better? Forgot I had zoomed in when screenshotting so that could be why it's so sharp too.

Enterprise truck rental, ya

Why is there so much plastic shit?

Because the airbox is actually functional?

>Why is there so much plastic shit?
It makes the airflow more predictable from the electrically controlled electric fans. You may be used to old style cars that turned everything off when the ignition key is removed. But if the computer detects excess heat soak is occurring once the engine has been turned off, the electric fan might still come on even without the key in the ignition. That's why you see the warning sign that the fan may come on at any time so never stick your hand or a dangle down there.

The other reason is that the plastic slows down the rate that heat rises up to the hood. Thus the air gap between the plastic and the hood itself serves to even out the heat distribution. The paint is therefore not overheated at one spot on the hoot. If you wondered about why cars had peeling paint and clearcoat at the middle of the hood (when people didn't wax or wash the acid rain and salt deposits off), that resulted from the heat being the last straw for the paint.

Thought that ford van was a familiar sight, used to clean bugs off those fucker all the time. I worked at Enterprise for a year. Now I detail at a big dealership, it's much better.

I like it because I am now full time and getting $3 more an hour than I did as a driver at the airport. Also, I get to drive 26' box trucks which are kinda fun

That appears to be a hino 258. What year and how are you liking it?

What's the best advice you can give for someone just learning the tricks of the trade basically from the ground up?

We've got a helper who is learning how to detail but he just lags kinda because it isn't his cup of tea yet.

I wish a was an autist too, I am so lazy all the time I don't want to do anything

Tell him to spend some time watching some yt vids from people like car cleaning guru or chris fix. That's how I started.

Because you are autistic

>watch car detail guru on youtube
>he's washing the handle
>one little spot he missed in a crevice
>he wont get that spot
>fuck, get that spot!
>he finally shoves his microfiber clothe into that crevice

fuck yeah, get it in there

>I wish a was an autist too, I am so lazy all the time I don't want to do anything
Get off your ass.

Just wait until you are old and have no savings, pension plan, and 401K to go with your pension plan. You can't rely on social security since it was watered down several times and was written to have higher ages for full vesting as compared to when your parents qualify.

Social security currently assumes you work for 37 years or at least it uses the number 37 as the number of years in which you earned your highest incomes. The incomes of those 37 years are then averaged together. Obviously, if you have low incomes or zero incomes, that will make the average number much lower. That average number then goes into some formula and then your monthly SS payment is calculated. Congress was going to "save social security" by raising the number of years to 40. So that means you'd have to work more years to avoid having 3 more zeroes averaged into the equation.

You may say it's autism to pay attention to details. Okay, it's retarded to ignore details.

tfw torn rotator cuff
mfw only quick spray washes for me this summer

lmao

My god, youre a douchebag, now its even worse. Just take a pic closer to car for fucks sake

just running your car through an automatic car wash is beyond comfy
inb4 squirrel marks

>I hate waxing
It's really easy if you use the liquid wax instead of the paste wax.

gitgud, i wash my car like 2-3 times a week

Because if you clean up your car, you clean up your act. you clean up your life.

It needs much more work than I put into it, but it's much better than it was earlier today. I used that NuFinish stuff because, honestly, I'm probably not going to be waxing I as often as I should. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Most waxes under $20 for a pottle are the same, just diff colour/smell.

Yep spray wax works well and doesn't take as much buffing

P A I N T C O R R E C T I O N

Definitely needed, definitely don't have the confidence to put the polish to the paint myself.

Well my competition here is literally "carwash" beaners that charge $30 to wash your car with pink car soap and a brush and cake your interior in armor all, and extremely high end detailers that charge many hundreds of dollars to wax luxo-barges and supercars. So that leaves a wide range of middle class, suburban people who care enough about their cars to pay me to keep them clean and shiny. My customers actually pay me for my autism to clean and tidy up barely noticeable things because I don't charge for it. I personally think taking a q-tip to your AC vents takes me 5 minutes, so I don't have to charge extra for it if you're already paying me to detail your interior. But they notice there's no dust inside their car at all, so they'll hand me an extra $20 for caring.

>P A I N T C O R R E C T I O N
Ugh. That always means having some of the clear coat ground down and made thinner by polishing.

Nah, that's an international. We do have hinos but they are rare. They have a good exhaust brake. Don't care much about year of truck

I really need to get a shop vac so I can clean out my car. Any suggestions?

Is taking a dust buster (like those portable dirt devils) to your interior a good enough of a vacuum job or should I pay the $5 at the car wash?

I got a portable dirt devil, its weak as shit. I end up using the 3$ vacuums at car washes or gas stations if i need to vacuum my car

The shop vac should be a wet or dry type. The giant size ones are only for wood shops due to the volume of sawdust and debris. A small one is more portable. All the economical brand name ones you find in warehouse shopping clubs are loud.

There are remarkably quiet ones on the factory floor that are only slightly louder than a HP laserjet printer. But those have different types of motors. The same with vacuum cleaners. Our janitorial staff uses a vacuum cleaner that you almost cannot hear. It is quieter than the HP laserjet printer. Yes, quieter. When I've worked late at night, they are around vacuuming and they can get pretty close to you before you hear the vacuum. A loud vacuum would certainly disturb all the people working.

>Is taking a dust buster
It's only good for superficial cleaning like off a rubber floor mat. Dust that settled to the bottom of a carpet will stick there with those tiny dust buster handheld vacs.

Use your vacuum at home. Most uprights have a hose system you can then use on the car. Only those tiny uprights have no hoses.

I use meguiars for everything

>portable dirt devils
All those battery ones are too weak for real cleaning. They are mostly for when you are on the road.

This