Why should I not buy a MK7 GTI?

Other urls found in this thread:

carwow.co.uk/news/volkswagen-up-gti-price-specs-and-release-date-2964
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MkIV VR6 or R32 is better and cheaper.

Seat Leon is more powerful, cheaper,

None of those for sale around here.

They don't sell those in America.

Then wait for one to show up on a used lot, or on craigslist.

but a MK7 already showed up on a used lot and Craigslist.

It's a perfect girl's car, sweety

mk7 lots a good bit of bite, basically too refined to be much of a hot hatch
you're better off with a focus st or a fiesta st

It is one of the greatest cars out there.

Buy it, you will not regret it.

Cuz a WRX destroys it and it's fwd

Because it's Volkswagen

Cos UP! GTI is here
carwow.co.uk/news/volkswagen-up-gti-price-specs-and-release-date-2964

I wish VWs werent complete shit. I loved my jetta so much. But it was such garbage.

>Why should I not buy a MK7 GTI?
Because you can't afford it faggot

OP here.
Cost to own is one of the biggest things holding me back.

It takes premium gas (+$).
My insurance rate will definitely go up (+$)
Routine maintenance costs are a lot more than my Honda Fit (+$$).
Monthly car note (I paid cash for the Fit, so I don't owe any money on it) (+$$$)

why isnt there a sporty fit> just add a turbo

>Money
>Money
>Money
>Money

As far as I'm aware, they're perfectly legitimate reasons to not own one. If you, open quote "BUY" close quote, one so you'll realise it's swallowing cash before its's in your bank account.

Find a MKVI or V GTi if you got your heart and soul set on it

Ahem.

I have seen so many people my age fuck their credit by financing a new VW GTI and then realizing they can't afford it after 3 months.

Don't do it OP, it will be your financial ruin and you'll be forced to drive a shitty Toyota Yaris that is so shitty whoever financed it will say they won't reclaim it if you default on payments because the car is so shitty.

the gti is a neat car but you already have a practical DD, if youre getting a second "fun" car, why not go more fun?

Save 10k and buy a Fiesta ST.

These in mint condition cost probably as much as new GTI lol.

>open quote "BUY" close quote

>writing/typing expressions meant to be used verbally out

Mentioned before, if you have to get a german hot hatch, get the Mk4 or Mk5 for cheap because the Mk6 and 7 offer very little improvement. Hell if you're not poor, then splurge on the Golf R and not a gti mk7.

you are an idiot. best german hot hatch is a used m coupe. and its not a VAG product so it might break less

The Fit is practical, but the lack of power is a tad annoying.
The highway I drive to work every morning is speed limit of 75 and flow of traffic around 80.

Second gen Fit is all of 100hp and torque, so getting up to speed with traffic takes forever. Merging into traffic that fast with that lack of power is difficult - I redline in 2nd and 3rd, and get to ~5k rpm in 4th before I'm up to speed with traffic.

These retail for more than a new GTI in the US.

GTI is an infinitely better commuter car than the Fit and you will never have to redline in traffic. In fact traffic will be in your way most the time.

I cross shopped my MK 7 against the 328i,335i, Focus RS, Golf R and Audi A3. The GTI is as good a commuter car as any of them and cost $15k less than all of them. This is my second GTI and I only keep them until they have 30k on the odometer. I would consider a Civic Si, but GTI is a far better commuter because it has goobs of torque after 2k and the previous gen si aint shit until >4.

I'm not sure what the hell these dudes are smoking. The MK7 GTI and Golf R are the best VW has made yet. They blow previous models out of the water

Because Kia Rio

This. Why so much hate on VW? Theyre really progress with each year. Design is very universal - appealing almost in every aspect and is objectively nice. The engines and the latter mechanical parts are quite reliable (unlike Fiesta or Focus that just die after 100k km). Build and quality parts is almost premium-like. All VW models have very nice interior layout where everything is easy-to-find, operate and function.

An honest answer is that the car is too sterile. its too easy to drive and has little to no personality. sure its great at every metric but its missing excitement. Id go for a WRX in that segment. I ended up upsizing to a Chevy SS when i bought my familyobile

because you could own much more interesting cars than a fwd hatchback?

OP, I have a 2015 GTI S.

Overall, I enjoy it. It's fun to drive, generally sticks to the road in turns, gets decent highway mileage, and is pretty great with the traction control off.

However, I will not be buying another one as my next car.

The reason is that it is uncomfortable for me to sit in... Not that the seat cushions are uncomfortable, but that it is impossible for me to find a way of configuring the steering wheel and seat position such that I feel comfortable.

The main issue is the steering wheel... it can't be pulled far enough out from the dash. It always feels like I'm stretching my arms. If I move my seat forward though, then my legs feel squished and the bite point on the clutch is really awkward. Also, the gear shifter is positioned an inch or so too forward; it also feels like I'm stretching.

It's not that I have an oddly shaped body... I'm almost the standard American male: 5' 11", 180 lbs.

I did test drive the GTI quite extensively before I bought it, so I don't know how I missed this issue. Lesson learned: next time make sure I can actually find a comfortable position before buying a car.

what the fuck? im driving mk4 golf and i feel the same. im 190cm tall and i always feel tired if i ever drive for long distances. its either the seat too far away and my hand gets tired, or if seat is too close to dash, then my legs have problem.

Yeah, I've never found anyone who can agree with me. Everyone on the internet loves the GTI.

But what can I say? I don't think it's comfortable especially, as you said, for long drives. And, for that reason, I will not be buying another one.

I'd like to get a WRX STI next, but we'll see where my budget is next year.

>Everyone on the internet loves the GTI.

It has a perfect score from basically every auto review publication.
And I have to admit, this is the first time I've heard that complaint. I went over a few different GTI forums and never saw this.

I will admit that it is completely possible that it's just me...

Maybe I have super fucked posture, and I'll never find a comfortable position in any seat.

Or maybe I have short little T-Rex arms, and no one ever told me.

Or, maybe I'm just a moron, and I don't know how to properly work the settings.

It's a mystery...

But maybe its just me or my body that has issues. It cant be this major problem that persisted in several generations of golf (mine is mk4 1999)? Also not only that, i cant rest my elbow on sidepanel near window. It really hurts, the panel is very curved and is too narrow. Only possible when window lowered. Thank god i drive short distances. Ive driven 100km once and it was painful. Seats are great, but positioning was shit, so is side panel.

I DD a 2013 VW Beetle with the same engine as the GTI.

It gets shit gas mileage if you go even 5 mph over the highway speed limit.
It costs a fortune to put premium gas (varies by state but for fucks sake I live in a place with zero public transportation gas is a legit necessity and those fucks in the state gov raised gas taxes july 1st).
Insurance is high as fuck
if you go to a stealership maintenance is high but basic shit like oil changes if you go elsewhere will be ok just a lot higher than your fit.
Paying for a car monthly is bullshit; especially a vw
I have good credit and I still got 319 a month on this fucker.

My parents leased a car worth 2.5times that amount for 100 less than that.

VW is a money pit.
An amazing drive but a money pit.

>Or maybe I have short little T-Rex arms, and no one ever told me.

Bad gas mileage? I own a 2012 VW Beetle Turbo and consistently get over 30 regardless of my speed. Do you have the 6 speed manual or the DSG?

Car and Driver's test, where they did 75mph on cruise control for 200 miles, resulted in 36mpg for the Golf GTI.

I have the six speed.

I live in a part of the state where driving has quite a bit of stopping and starting.

I get like 25 in town.

But I will say if I drive a reasonable speed on the highway 65-75 depending if state or interstate I get 35-39 mpg.

It is just not as high as gas mileage as I expect with premium.

I used to get 44 with a nissan and 86 octane.

I should add I drive 2000 miles a week so I feel like I get absolutely fucked regardless.

They don't make cars for people like me.

MK7 R owner here. If you can afford a GTI and not the R, then I'm a bit confused. When I got mine second hand it was only a few thousand more for the R, but financing may be different. Love the car, the seating position is fine unlike these guys
But I can see if you were 6ft or above then It could be tricky.
Its a truly solid car, my only gripe is that its a bit too understated. Even I look at GTDs and can't tell if its the R or not.
I will try and address your concerns here. Premium gas: I get 32-35 mpg, higher if I tried. I think its reasonable regardless of a few percent higher gas
Insurance: is low in most countries due to the radar sensors and safety assistance features.
Maintenance: isn't a problem if you get a extended warranty. Its a solid car anyway.
Finance issues: Get a miata if you can't afford it. I can't afford a mclaren but I'm not trying to buy it.

I drive ~500 a week. 100 miles a day; 2 hours a day.
How in the world are you doing 2000 miles a week?

The Focus ST is faster.

I tried the GTI last week, and while it was plenty fast, you can get more HP for the same price with the Ford.

I also didn't like the gimmicky stick in the manual Golf, so get the DSG.

couldn't agree with this comment more. Test drove the GTI and was blown away with how much of a limp cuckwagon it was. Took a FiST home two weeks ago and I'm still looking for reasons to leave my house jsut to drive

It's your money to waste.

OP here.
Local dealer has a used 2016 GTI Autobahn.

The listed the price as $26k.

I'm gonna test drive it first thing tomorrow morning when they open and ask for $20k (low end of KBB price range).
Think they'll bite?

i mean, it's alright if you want a higher performance golf and don't mind how numb it is but....
the fost and fist are just better alternatives. also the focus rs once it drops in price

They will laugh at you. That is a huge amount to ask off.

I drive 3 hours 250 miles a day and on the weekends I clock about 500 visiting friends and family.

The KBB price range is huge, though, so I'm not sure where to start.
They price range is 20 to 25k.

As a guy who used to sell cars, I would nearly ask you to leave. I would find out real fast what your actual budget needs to be, or I would kick your ass out.

Life's too short to buy something so disgusting

I've seen someone (You) make the same comment in TWO other GTI threads lol. The FOST and FIST suck ass, sorry to say. Ford will always suck. The GTI is faster, more responsive to tunes, and doesnt look like a toy.

Yea, more HP is cool and all. On PAPER...

It really is GTI vs the world, lol. You got Ford fags sperging over the ST having a bit more HP, then you got Ricer fags complaining that its not as fast stock as a rice nigger WRX. The car has tons of power for its size, if its not fast enough stock, then stage one. Its not like its expensive.

if they are asking 26 you ask for 23 and hope they get you to 24.5

They are not going to budge much on price unless you have cash money in hand.

>Not trying to buy a McLaren

Just mortgage your and all of your family members' homes and buy an F1

Different poster, but the steering on the Fords has a lot more feedback and feeling. The GTI is direct but very, very numb.

Because it's not a honda civic.

Viksed
Ot
Lgain
Kony