What are some brands of tools that are made in NOT China...

What are some brands of tools that are made in NOT China? I tried to buy a new impact ratchet from the tool truck guys and just about every single tool they had was made in China. When I asked "do you have any made in USA? Japan? Germany?" all the tool trucks froze up. It's like buying Chinese shit is the norm and nobody questions it.

>It's like buying Chinese shit is the norm and nobody questions it.

That's mostly because it is....

Back in the day (like 10 years ago), chinese made stuff was considered junk, and rightly so. The manufacturing facilities didn't have the capability to accurately heat treat or machine parts, plastic blends were badly mixed and poorly formed, tolerances were generally whatever they ended up being and were rarely bothered about, and everything that came from there was just generally trash.

In the modern day tho, there are quite a few plants that can machine and cast parts just as well as their domestic counterparts, and in some cases better. As machine prices have come down and automation has taken over a lot of jobs, accuracy in tolerances and blends have been improved, casting technology, both metal and plastic, have improved drastically, and in general, china can now compete on a global stage when it comes to making durable equipment. It may not be the absolute best, but it's generally just as good as something made domestically for double the price.

tldr; quit bitching about chinese made crap. It's not as junk as it used to did.

snap-on

>It's not as junk as it used to did.

It is still junk though, its just that their quality control has only gotten slightly better as to weed out the blatantly bad crap.

The stuff that does make it over here still doesn't last as long.

Sincerely t. guy who works for a company that imports 90% of its sold product from China.

You can go ahead and admit you work at Harbor Freight...

when i bought Chicago pneumatic, it said made in japan. is that worse or better than usa?

Harbor freight doesn't sell shit to Home Depot last I checked......

Chicago Pneumatic is good shit. And yes, the Nip make excellent products.

Harbor Freight's Central Pneumatic is garbage.

>Is Japan worse or better than USA?

If you have to ask this question you don't belong here.

I have a bunch of tools made in India but I don't remember the brand name off the top of my head, I can find it later if you want.

Pittsburgh's newer stuff is nice.

Pittsburgh is shit, Pittsburgh Pro is pretty good though. There's a big difference between the two. Fact is, I'd put the Pro's on par with Sunex or Powerbuilt.

The main problem with Pittsburgh Pro is, they don't include all sizes. For example, in their impact sockets, they don't make an 18mm. WTF?!?! How the fuck do you not make an 18?!? Pretty much every single suspension fastener in a given Ford is an 18.

I guess HF figures Fords are pretty rare cars, and so most people won't be working on them.

I've seen sets of Pittsburgh not include 17's and 13's which aside from 10mm are the most common bolts on any German car made.

India is even worse.

then be happy with your chink tools and shut the fuck up faggot

>they don't make an 18mm
Because they know that you can hammer on a 3/4".

>no 13 or 17

That's insane. Pure insane. And people wonder why they have a reputation of being trash. (Other than the fact that yes, a lot of HF really is trash)

3/4 will NOT work on an 18. 3/4 is 19, not 18. Put a 3/4 on an 18, and you'll strip the fuck out of it.

are HF box wrenches any good? I just need a set to work on my car, nothing professional

Just get Craftsmen

but they're also made in China, so what's the difference?

They have a lifetime warranty, you can bring them back for exchange.

Buy Stahlwille, if you can afford it.

I use Stahlwille, Bahco, Gedore, TengTools and Hitachi at work, works fine.
Use shitty Chinese shit at home, works fine too.

This. Get a tool where you get a good warranty. You can shake your fist at sears and probably get brand-new sets.

>strap-on
There older tools were great bc they were actually made here. Now they send to China for manufacturing and you can get the same quality w/o the brand name. I rather not spend $600+ for a torque wrench. Husky, HF pro, etc. can turn the same bolt and if it breaks you go back to your warranty.

I buy Sonic

Craftsman Professional, you mean. Regular Craftsman is pretty shittacular nowadays.

Different companies have different levels of QA, Craftsman typically has better tolerances on their tools.

Either will get the job done honestly if you use them correctly

I live right next to a Home Depot, should I just buy husky then if I want cheap but okay tools with warranty?

Unless you use it in a professional basis, cheap is good.

thanks man

so worse then. ill try to find old usa made stuff

yup

not their impact sockets though, shit is the exact same stuff as HF, fit and finish are identical, probably came from the same factory

If you want cheap tools it's ok, just buy wrenches and sockets to begin with. Eventually you'll get rachets, extensions, hex/torx bits. There the more expensive brands will get you a more complete set.

Don't cheap out on screwdrivers or ratchets. Quality screwdrivers won't strip screws, and quality ratchets won't break and give you lots of throw.

>Quality screwdrivers won't strip screws

>He's never come across the lead headed screw that was personally screwed in by Hercules Chinese brother.

I've stripped screws with TengTools screwdrivers.
Shitty screws strip anyway

I swear some chink screws are just plastic with metallic paint

>I swear some chink screws are just plastic with metallic paint

This so much, I just havent figured out how they got screwed in there without stripping in the first place.

Just go back to /r/cars dude.

how do you feel about Hazet?

Yeah you don't belong here.

Taiwan is generally a pretty good midden ground as far as quality and pricing of tools.

>Knipex (germany) is best for pliers
>Snap on (usa) have the best ratchets while gearwrench (taiwan) is a good middle ground
>Gearwrench for ratchet wrenches as well
>Mayhew (usa) is probably the gold standard for pry bars, punches, chisels, and other simple forged tools
>sunex and grey pneumatic (taiwan) make good cr-mo impact sockets
>wera, wiha, and pb Swiss all make great screwdrivers
>milwaukee, dewalt, makita, rigid are your best bet for cordless tools and while they're generally made in china they usually have pretty skookum shit
>aircat, cp, ingersoll, and astro are the leaders in pneumatic tools

There's only so many tool manufacturers left, but garage journal is a good place to learn about them.

>>milwaukee, dewalt, makita, rigid are your best bet for cordless tools and while they're generally made in china they usually have pretty skookum shit

Not sure about Willfuckye and DeWilt (due to them now just being brands of some China corp), but the main Makita stuff is still manufactured in Japan.
The Maktec line, now branded as Makita MT, is the same mouldings and parts as old (1/2 generations ago) Makita tools, but with the moulds shipped over to manufacturing lines in China and operated by local staff.

The "sad" truth is that for 98% of the guys on here (myself included) just about any brand will do, as we don't use our tools professionally or heavily enough to warrant something like Snap-On & Hilti

I've "invested" in a good bit of Ryobi tools, and I plan on continuing as I like One+ battery platform and all the tools/gadgets in it, aswell as the pricing being quite agreeable

>buy a brand of tool but it ends up a shitty chink garbage
>return said tool and buy more expensive but better reputed competitor tool
>it's the exact same chink shit the only difference is literally just the sticker abd pruce

Hazet is the Snap-On of Germoney

>I've "invested" in a good bit of Ryobi tools, and I plan on continuing as I like One+ battery platform and all the tools/gadgets in it, aswell as the pricing being quite agreeable
This. Ryobi has a price sweet spot.

You'll be glad to know that Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are pretty much the same shit, but with different colors to denote different price points.

All three are owned by the ChiCom company TTI.

I'll tell you this though, I had a Ryobi 1/2" 18V impact, and it was a total and complete piece of shit. Fucker wouldn't even loosen a non-rusted muffler bolt. It was that shit-tier.

Sold that fucker, bought a Snap-On CT6850 with two good batteries and the charger off of eBay for $156 shipped.

That, my nigger, is a fucking tool. I've only gotten my pneumatic out once since I got this beast. (Trying to get the axle nut off of a CR-V. Cheater bar didn't even work)

you mean snap on doesn't sell in Germany? why not?

i only buy makita because i hate dewalt stuff.
is that a poor fag company too?

The same one as and pic related? Mine is the three-stage one rated at 120nm, 240nm and 375nm per stage. Has worked perfectly so far for nearly a year, where I even used it for five days a week over three weeks, and about 4 hours per day

Sure, its nothing like the 1000nm Makita I've tried out - but I never really have the need for all that torque, and as such a machine at half the weight, half the price and with a "universal" battery series is a much better choice for myself

I'd invest in something like the Makita, Würth or maybe even get myself a Snap-On, if I worked with this tool every single day and would run into a lot more seized bolts and so on

No, just that it's overpriced.

I have a few Hazet special service tools which are good for both Mercedes-Benz I have, but they were very expensive.

i understand. i dont know why German engineers have a fetish of making things hard to service.
pic very very related.

this vw tool looks like it should work on a space shuttle or something. it does not look like a car tool at all.

>hard to service.
It's only hard if you don't have the correct tool.

yes, lets assume the tools are easy to obtain or improvise.

Those pesky germans indeed

I have a HF impact socket set, 1/2 in drive and it has an 18mm socket

Thats... actually really fucking neat

Why would you put motor mounts for a 15l mercedes engine on the bell housing of a tranny? Why? In what conceivable fucking way is that a good idea? Just put a fucking carriage spring on the ass end if the thing if ya think it needs more support.

Fuck I hate german engineering.

guess what this is for.

Very dull hacksaw for killing somebody

Tti fag here
A few things Rigid, Ryobi and crapsman power tools are similarly designed with Rigid and crapsman generally using better motors,

The 1/2 18v Ryobi you bought was probably only rated for 75 Ft/lbs so no wonder you thought it was shit, its a base tier impact wrench.

Milwaukee with few exceptions is its own division within TTI, they source their own shit, design their own shit, and have their own factories and have their own warehouse/distribution system, they get more money to produce better tools as a result. My division doesn't even touch their shit at all.

Hmmm.... my best (read; shittiest) guess would be a calibration/positioning tool for the alignment, with the different inverted teeth being for different models/different specs where the wheels are more narrow or wider

I cheated but I don't understand how it would be used for that.

Any experience/thoughts on this? I already have two electric angle grinders (one small Hitachi which works fine for small shit), and a fuckhuge AEG (I think its an AEG, all the marks are long worn out) for when I have to break into an armored vehicle... but I kinda want this one as it'll be a lot easier to bring with me when I have to do work in the mountains, or when I just wanna do a quick job and don't feel like pulling out the extension cords and so on

The vast majority of makita cordless is cheap chinesium. What's worse is there is a microchip in their batteries designed to disable the battery after a loss of voltage. That means if you work your tools hard the battery will turn into a $75 plastic brick.

t. chingchong dingdong factory worker

Holy shit do you get any employee discounts? What kind of projects do you get to work on?

I just work in the warehouse, if you've bought a Black Max Generator from Sams, or Tile Saw from Home Depot I'm probably the one that loaded it, I get a 20% discount at the outlet stores, which the shit there is already cheap as is.

I'd personally get a corded rigid over that. But for your use it should be fine, be sure to use the larger battery becuase the slim packs are only good for the smaller drills and lights, and don't last that long.

I've used the milwaukee one a lot and it's great, it kills the batteries fast though.
It's really nice to bring to the junk yard because you can just cut off bolts that wont break free or just straight up cut out parts you want without even having to use other tools.
They make me bring a fire extinguisher with it though.

no one cares my dude

Stay BTFO

The point is to have a cordless one especially for those jobs I do thats far out into bumfuck nowhere. The corded Hitachi can be the garage queen
Already have a 5.0ah, 4.0ah and a 2.0ah, might invest in a 5.0ah to keep in my truck

How long does the battery usually last, and what size battery?

>How long does the battery usually last, and what size battery?
3ah battery, the normal sized m18 one not the thin one, lasts like 5 min lol, it really sucks up the juice.
5 min of cutting can get a lot done though.

I got your point I'm just saying from my POV, and me only needing something Corded.

It should work fine, however like says the milwaukee might be the better choice.

That fast, huh? I'll bring an extra battery I suppose

Would it really be that much of a better choice tho, seeing as I already have batteries available, and Milwaukee isn't sold locally here?

The better Makita battery gear is often made in Japan, my 18v impact wrench is.

I forget you're over there living with the Jötunn, get whatever convenient for you, its just that the Milwaukee will be more hardy and reliable over time.

>Ryobi you bought was probably only rated for 75 Ft/lbs

WTF? Why the fuck would you even bother making a 1/2" impact gun that can only do 75 ft/lbs?

To get your foot in the market, when they first introduced the P260 were barely ANY cordless mechanic grade impact wrenches. Most of was what available was 20-30 Ftlb shit that was only good for running tech screws into metal studs.

Since then obviously they've improved, with Milwaukee putting out 750+ ftlb models. And the P262 that's now available can do 300 ftlbs

t. Pajeet

Any of you folks ever have a chance to try any of the KTC (Kyoto Tool Co.) tools? Perhaps Ko-Ken?

I'm ordering a set of Ko-ken shallow sockets and a 3/8 ratchet to see if I'm a weeb for tools too. All I've used thus far is craftsman, kobalt, and the handful of snap-on tools we find under people's hoods at work.

This current model of Ryobi battery grinder kicks the shit out of the previous model they had. I recently broke my older one and replaced it with the pic related and it is obviously more torquey and sturdy feeling. Would recommend as a quality value tool. My friends Milwaukee battery grinder shits all over this though, but is x2 the price.

This dude I work with has a Hazet impact wrench. Fucker works good

Ryobi is fine unless you're a contractor or building an entire house by yourself.

> just about any brand will do
There's a point when cheap becomes too cheap. You don't want an angle grinder with an unbalanced spindle or an impact drill that overheats and seizes up after a minute of continuous operation. Also, some brands like Bosch consumer line (the green ones) are subpar when it comes to price/performance.

antiques

Yes they will if you let their blades get either rounded or worn from abuse or use.

It's because they were cast and then rolled. They weren't forged and given a two stage multi temp heat treatment. Chinese screws made of crystalline metal castings suck. They have enough strength to get screwed in, but over time, they develop metal fatigue and when you try to remove them or use them again in the same hole, that becomes the last straw and they break.

Quality screwdrivers last for ages before the blades become worn.

I actually bought the set, they do come in handy but the smaller ones aren't that great for really hammering on, i.e. they're shit enough you can bend them if you give some real force.
Still fine though, would buy again since my only uses are for stuff like my CAS locking bold under the cowl and other low-torque, hard to reach applications.

Even stuff that is stamped "Made in Japan" could have actually had all the pieces made in China out of chinese metals. It was only assembled in Japan or re-stamped or deliberately mis-labeled. For example, rims that Discount Tire sold as being "Japanese rims" as they were imported from a Japanese address were actually stamped "made in china".

>Alltrade not listed
I know they have a HQ in the USA, I'm surprised they arent listed there. Are Powerbuilt tools not very big?

Koken make the best ratchets hands down.

Why are you talking about torque wrenches when the thread is about impact guns?

Tengtools aren't exactly the last word in high end screwdrivers, are they?

They are considered shit-teir professional level tools. Trust me, I had a complete set of them when I started out my apprenticeship, now the only 2 tools I still have from that set are the hacksaw and rubber faced hammer. Everything else I have replaced with higher quality

matco is 100% made in china

at least their electric tools

The chinese will keep ramping up until all the regular and professional tool makers are from china. Boutique type tool makers would still be domestic but are usually for certain customers such as the military or government under "make work" contracts to keep the expertise alive in case it needs to be ramped up with a conflict against china.

>matco is 100% made in china
Basically Matco and all the other tool companies train the chinese on how to make good tools. Then the chinese create copycats using that knowledge and training to compete against their benefactors and put them out of business.