I'm test driving a 91 mx5 tomorrow. What issues should I be looking for specifically?

I'm test driving a 91 mx5 tomorrow. What issues should I be looking for specifically?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How to explain to your parents that you're gay

nothing wrong with being gay

i'm ok with being gay if rwd is gay

>test driving a 26 year old car

>buying a car without test driving it

Make sure the crank pulley isn't wobbling, that's pretty much the worst thing that can happen to early miatas.

shut up furfag

>worst
you mean second worst, the worst is rust. crank pully junk? grab a used 1.6l for 500-700 bucks swap it out. rust, well, the further you check the worse it generally gets, its like cancer for cars.

My 91 had zero rust but then again I don't live in a shitty state or the worst(east) coast.
Also, >just swap the motor
lol yeah... ok.
Miata motors are a pain in the ass to swap, the PPF and exhaust and motor mount bolts are such a pain in the dick to line up.
I hate doing it, it's really awful.

pain in the ass yes, but it wont take the entire car down with it. a miata with a bad motor is probably still worth more than a miata with heavy rust

Yeah but your parents won't like it

> i live in the east coast with road salt every year
It sucks

so what I'm gathering is look for rust (no shit) and look for the crank pulley for fear of engine replacement

ask questions as much as you can/feel comfortable with

>the worst is rust
whats rust? in the southwest ive never even seen rust on a car.

This shit feels good

wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata

Ask him if it's cool to pour a few gallons of water on the soft top to check for leaks. See how hold the battery is because they're not easy to find. See if the clutch pedal is firm. See if there's any undercarriage rust.

See if the key is original (10x bonus)

Look if the bumper was swapped or not
If not you need to do it (unless you're gay)

SNC issues
Radiator caps aging
Rust, anywhere. The boot/trunk can be corroded if the battery is non-OEM and is not rigged to vent externally.
Soft top/rain rail age. They don't last forever, replacements are far and few between and a full re-canvas costs a few bucks. Commonly, the parcel shelf will be quite rusted, occasionally the floorpans will be waterlogged (sometimes it's just the drainage holes behind the seatbelts are blocked)

Otherwise same shit as any other car, I guess, but miatas are very well documented. Any problem it may have, there will be a short and long fix for it with pictured steps.

make sure the shift knob is smooth, wouldn't want any JDM splinters in your JDM boibutt

1990 NA6 Owner, this is pretty spot on.

Check under car for plastic splash guard, it also helps with cooling

If it doesn't have one then check the radiator for signs of wear

the door mirrors are going to fall off. The pins holding them are not rust-proof.
I would suggest trying to pull them off yourself rather than them flying off at speed and killing them. once off you can take the mirror out, replace the bolt with a stainless steel one and be done for 20+years.
Also, so much rust.