Parents are going to let me get another car help me out here

So i am 18 and got a 2015 corolla s with 10k miles on it, but my parents and I both want to have a fun/sports car in the family. they said i can get one in 4 months and that i will have to pay for it. I am considering a 1994-2008 miata, or a 05-13 WRX (preferably the wagon, i love the look on those.) Which one is better for a reliable, but fun car?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6181190074.html
washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6209300598.html
norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/6201753746.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get the new Honda civic si coupe.. IS new an option?

The wrx would be more reliable imo

Not really because my price range is around 15,000. An older SI is definitely possible (like a 2012 or 2014.) The only brand new car i can convice my parents to let me get is a fiat abarth which i also adore. (20k for a new one)

How long do the turbos last? I know older generation miata's don't have turbos, but it seems like it doesn't need one.

Fix
It
Again
Tony

I like it but its terribly unreliable. hmmm. 15k is a bitch to work with...hmmm what about a 350-370z?
Actually fuck that what about a genesis? You can be like onion djonmustardovic of swaggard garage

> parents and I both want to have a fun/sports car
>they said i can get one ] and that i will have to pay for it
fucking lmao. what else have your parents blessed you with permission to spend your money on for them to use?

Are they really that bad? I always loved the look and want a car that is decent on straightaways , but an absolute beast around corners. (so no v8's or muscle cars)

Their insurance and their house. I may not agree to a lot of what they say, but i have to respect their decisions.

C5 Z06

My parents did the same. The deal was when I graduate they will buy me a car worth 15k. I said I would raise them the money if was a new car. They ended up buying me a economical crossover and I have to pay the rest. I'm a bit sour about it not being a sedan but I was definitely thankful when I wasn't stuck in snow this past winter.(we got a bunch of snow and it kind of just stuck around).

he's 18 and probably still lives with them

i'd say it's fair game that they control him so long as he's living under their roof.

if he wants to make his own decisions, he can start by moving out.

looks a little to heavy for my taste, I live in an area with a lot of curvy hills and live near a mountain pass.

I can go into Conn. and the cars there are very cheap. I saw a gti with 100k miles (2012) for 9k, a mercedes coupe, for 6k, and a jaguar 2011 xf for 16k.

I'd get the miata op, if you already have a corolla as a commuter you'll be more satisfied with how the miata feels and it will be much more of a change of pace compared to the WRX

Don't get me wrong, the WRX is a good car but it's more of a daily that can be fun, not a dedicated fun car

How is the reliability? There is no turbo to worry about, and i could totally go full on Initial D down the mountain near me, but i don't plan on doing many mods to the car.

FD RX-7 if your parents don't mind older but it's gonna need maintenance being a rotary and all

Honda S2000
Mitsubishi EVO 8
Subaru Legacy GT Spec B
Porsche Boxster
SW20 MR2 Turbo
1G DSM

All depends on how the car was driven by the previous owner-- a vehicle coming stock with a turbo doesn't inherently mean that it will be unreliable (obviously miatas are naturally aspirated, just making a point). As long as you get one that isn't clapped out and riced to hell and back you'll be fine, especially if you get a newer one.

All in all Miatas are pretty reliable, just be sure to check the maintenance history of one before you buy it and/or the Carfax.

I do not mind older cars and i am a huge fan of Initial D so a older car is more than fine with me. My parents do not care as long as they can have fun in it as well

How mechanically inclined are you? Think you could do a project car?

I am not too mechanically inclined. I know most parts to a car and what they do, but i never worked on a car before. The main reason my parents even agreed to this is because they think it can help me gain more knowledge of cars.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Depends on how often you change the oil and what oil you use. I change mine every 5K using Pennzoil Platinum and it hasn't give me any problems. Also, these engines like to burn oil so keep it topped off.

Meh, if you want to learn stick with something NA for now, something with a decent engine bay and relatively easy to work on

I vote S2000

If your parents can afford it consider getting a newer ap2 s2000 instead of a miata. (one with relatively low mileage is around 25k)

They're very reliable cars, the only thing you might have to do eventually is change the TCT

I am the one who is going to be paying for this. so 25k is way out of my reach.

I do like the look on the older s2000's but how do i go about finding one? I cannot find one near me. Is shipping a car a hassle?

Don't even consider an S2000 then. Anything S2000 in your price range will likely be beat to shit, completely counteracting their good reliability

If you're not mechanically inclined, forget getting a WRX. There is very little room in the engine bay to work unless you move many things out of the way. Just get a Miata.

Believe me OP I have a neighbor who has a fiat and I swear that fucker spends more time in his garage being fixed then it does on the road
Don't do it

Yea i just looked up the price and it was very expensive for the "cheap" ones.

Yea i am leaning towards a Miata, but what year should i get? I absolutely love the NA and NB generations

Miata is your best bet OP.

Shipping a car isn't a hassle, both of my cars I bought from out of state. Look on Autotrader, or similar sites (they all usually have the same search index) and go from there with contacting the seller.

Most are more than happy to set up shipping with you, and it's even easier if it's through a dealer.

(there are sites where you can post a shipment request and various drivers will bid on your request to deliver the car)

You're shitting me right? I've found a few for around or under 15k that are in good shape

Literally any s2000 that's under 20k is beat mechanically. They might appear to be in good shape but once you drive one there's a huge difference

t. s2000 owner

Depends on your price range. 6-7k would probably get you a mint NA, but even then it might still require work, so you'd have to be willing to learn to wrench

Regardless, you really can't go wrong with a miata

Ok i am leaning towards the miata, but how is the finance situation with it? I know the banks will tell me to fuck off, but what about a dealer finance?

lad what is your price range, you really shouldn't be financing a car that costs under 10k

unless your parents are willing to set up financing for you and then you make the payments to them you're going to get absolutely ass-fucked on the interest rate

What's your take on this?
washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6181190074.html

Or how about this one?
washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6209300598.html

Yea they will set up the finance and i pay for it. My price range is up to 15k (i am saving for the down payment) I plan on putting down around 3k for a down payment.

My parents have very good credit as well, we managed to get 2015 toyota corolla with 10 k miles on it for around 220 a month.

>clapped out with body kit
>'custom paint job'
>custom clutch parts
>'custom short throw shifter'
I wouldn't consider it at all as it isn't stock.

>rebuilt title
If the title is rebuilt there is a strong chance of it having frame damage, and it says in the listing that it was a driver side door crash which is a bad place to be hit

How about this one?
norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/6201753746.html

>Yea they will set up the finance and i pay for it

That's a good start, however I think if you're going to be making payments on something you should definitely not spend 15k. I'd look at a miata for around 6 or 7k.

You'll also have more money for fixing the car if it needs it, or doing 'sick mods'

>rebuilt title

This looks decent but you should probably have it inspected if you want to be sure

I mean, any car can look good from a listing but until you actually go and look at it you won't have any idea how it really is

From the listing though that one looks pretty decent, getting up there in mileage though you really don't have to worry about mileage on those cars unless it's over 120k

I saw several horror story s2000s when I was looking for mine, and it ultimately comes down to how the car looks and feels in person. Most of the ones that are priced low are usually pretty scary, a good example would be the two posted previously (the one with the clapped out kit and the other with the rebuilt title) however occasionally you can find a decent one although at the price of 15k you'd be better off saving an extra 5k up then looking at ones with less miles that are newer.

I make a lot of money for my age. around 1400 dollars a month. I pay no other bills. My corolla is worth 14500 (which i am paying for, my parents will take over that payment when we get a new car)

Why even make payments then? If you live with your parents and they pay most of your expenses then you should easily be able to put 1200 of that away into savings.

You'd better off just saving for a few months and then buying something cheaper outright

I hate putting cosmetics on a car. The only stuff i plan on doing is replacing the old parts for more reliability. My plan is taking this car to the Catskills and go full on Initial D on the downhill

>and go full on Initial D
Real life is not like initial D, you'll find that out fast, don't push whatever car you get over its limit and crash

Regardless I was being ironic with the 'sikk mods' comment. I was referring to adding things like coil-overs and brakes which will most certainly make your driving experience more enjoyable.

I know it isn't like initial D, but on my long drives i like to pretend i am takumi. I don't drift, or go overly fast, but i love the feeling of going around a corner at a decent speed. Pretending i am Takumi is one of the many autistic things i do.

>97-02 F-body
>25-30mpg
>reliable
>350+ hp 350+ ft/lb torque
>6 speed
probably the best bang for your buck as far as fun stock power. easy to make more power with the LS and if you put a coilover kit on there it'll beat those faggy straight 6s up a mountain easy

and nothing beats the chevy plastic interior of the 90s

Spend it all on booze and meth. A sport car may be fun but not near as fun

If it's going to be your only car, WRX without a question.

Quick cars with a lot of versatility and practicality and you won't reach the limits of the car for a while if you're just starting out.

If you're going to have the Corolla as a daily still, then go for the Miata. It's a super fun car because it's really light and it's a convertible. If you don't need to do shit ever besides drive yourself around and you have a garage, you might be able to get away with a Miata as an only car for a young person.

Btw, take it to the track. Pretending that you're Takumi on twisty roads is beyond acceptable levels of autism. You will not know what it's like to really drive a car until you get some track time. You can't do that on a public road because you can fucking die and take out a bunch of other people with you at the same time.

>live with parents
>user, you cant buy a car because you live here
Where is the logic here?