Pontiac Firebird 88

I recently came across this Pontiac Firebird from 88 and stopped to call the guy who put the "on sale" notice. I had a mechanic friend check it out and its perfectly entertained.
He would sell it to me for about 7000 euros.
I have some questions if you guys could help me out.

Should I try to negotiate the price?

I already tested the car and it feels different to modern cars I've driven. I have 8 year driving experience. Is getting used to an old car difficult?

It doesn't have airbag or ABS. Is safety going to be a problem? (In my 8 year driving experience I have never had an accident).

Is the cost of maintenance going to be too overwhelming?

In general, should I buy this car? It is basically one of my dream cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6211856333.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_jKfto4lYJU
youtube.com/watch?v=oNyXYPhnUIs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It would be less expensive to import one. 7 grand euros for a turd gen lol

>It would be less expensive to import one. 7 grand euros for a turd gen lol
Importing alone is at least 1500 euros and I don't thing a fully working 88 firebird can be bought for 5000 euros in USA.

>5000 yuros
>5700 USD
Pal, you can buy a Firebird in America with your shoes.
1600-3500 for a good Firebird here,

are you kidding me? could you show me an example?

btw the good thing about this one is that it is already regulated for my country which has strict laws for cars

this
Here is the result of my 2 second CL search
sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6211856333.html
122k miles, 305 with 700r4 and a free 350 sbc
$2500 ask

Dude you could import a fully working TA WS6 for your 7k yuro monies

Turd gens are dime a dozen. A pristine 88 firebird is worth 4k max.

You sound like a cuck. No, you should go back to riding the bus.

Is there such a thing as a good 3rd gen though? Isn't that like a contradiction in terms?

Old saying "GM cars are easy to work on". Implication of old saying - "And you will be working on it"

Have you ever thought about the SN95 at all, OP?

youtube.com/watch?v=_jKfto4lYJU

So you guys are saying this car is just bad?
Why didn't I hear about this earlier?

This car is kind of unique where i live

Naw, OP. It's a good runnin' car. Just need to git down to autozone to get a few parts fer it.

They are good car but not particularly powerful or good handlers. It's just alphonse melting down again.

What engine is in it?

Well it might be cheaper to buy one in the US but you'll have to pay the chipping and there is also a high chance to have to pay for first registration in EU as my cousin from Polan imported already 2 Honda Preludes and a Infiniti G35 and at arrival in Hamburg he had to pay some additional duties.
Other thing is: getting parts here in Europe won't be easy and cheap as in the US.

For your concers with safety:
Are you able to switch between cars and get used to them in less than 100km? Even cars you've never driven with?
If yes next question:
How aware are you when driving? Are you listening to very loud music? Are you focusing a lot on the streets AND surroundings?

The less your driving is disturbed and on the more stuff you're aware of when driving the less problems you'll have with the missing ABS and the other stuff [myself only powersteering and ABS are safety stuff you should have in any car everything else gives only more dangers]
Don't forget: No ABS -> When you emergency brake always think in case of blocking tires to release brakes if you have to dodge stuff

Airbags: Dude you want a muscle car? Than die like a man in your musclecar!

In summary: the fact that you're insure about buying and driving it tells you not to.

I'm pretty sure you've a friend who drives a car without modern safety crap: ask him how he handles his car and stuff.

>Importing alone is at least 1500 euros and I don't thing a fully working 88 firebird can be bought for 5000 euros in USA.

You can buy a 1998 Firebird with the LS1 for 5000 Euros in the US.

3rd gen GM F-bodies were underpowered and poorly built. The kind of engines that made 325HP in 1970 were making 175 by the mid '80s.

In the US they're considered muscle cars for poor people and/or white trash.

They are good cars, not fast or anything but reliable and cool looking, Try to get a GTA if all possible though.

he's right desu. I think this is your best bet.

LS1, T56, T-Tops, F-body, that'd be a mean machine, and you wouldn't have to worry about body rust.

B-b-b-b-but, h ow safe is it user? Will it hold me in its strong manly arms if I get a boo boo?

Probably a lot better than the Third Gen.

Honestly, I'd prefer the turd gen just because I know I'd slap a carb'd 350/th350 in it, built to fuck, and redneck the shit out of it.

But, if I wanted a nice and neat daily driver that can perform, I'd try and get the F-body LS1/T56.

6 cilinders, 2.8 liter engine, 140 horsepower.
I'm a student I don't need the fastest car.

...dude :(

just get something else.

Where the fuck do you live that you find cheap third gen firebirds? The only ones I've seen are $6k-$12k

They're literally littered all over the States.

Hell last year I had to talk myself out of buying a third gen trans am for 1500, not to mention countless amounts of other third gens that weren't nearly what that Trans Am was for around the same money.

Hell, I got my ex a firebird before we broke up, granded it was an F-body, V6 5-speed, it was still hella clean, working air conditioning, and well taken care of, for 1200 straight.

And it was even a good colour, pure ass white.

not worth it, they aren't bad cars in their higher trim levels and pull a good skidpad even better than the 4th gen fbodies the higher trims also had up to 245 hp and 345 lb ft of torque which is pretty good, get one of those not a v6 for sure, they aren't bad cars 4th gens are shit

B-b-b-b-but is it safe?

A 6 cylinder firebird? Wtf that's super gay

I saw a white GTA 4 speed for 2k at a swap meet last month in michigan.

But is it more gay or less gay than a miata?

A miata knows what it is. A firebird looks like it has a V8, so OP's is a super gay deceiver

OP here. So how the fuck does a cuckropean like me get a fucking muscle car for less than 10k in this shitfest of 3rd world invaded by islam?

I guess import is your only option.

Get a shitty 90's Caprice in the RWD platform or something and crate order & swap a hopped up Small Block Chevy in it.

Yeah, get a 350 Chevy small block, they're so plentiful and bullet proof you can't go wrong

>Hell, I got my ex a firebird before we broke up, granded it was an F-body, V6 5-speed,
All Firebirds are F-bodies.

fourth gen, my bad

Absolutely not worth that price. Get one with a 350, don't even bother with a 305

he made me a last offer for 5500 euros.
still not worth it?
the biggest bonus is that the car is already immatriculated in my country and passed the techincal control which is hard here.
(luxembourg)

I thought you guys were all rich

I'm dead serious, it's not worth nearly that much for a v6. Obviously prices are going to be different for europe, but v6s here go for less than $1k. Look around for one with at least a 305

I don't know nothing about no euros, but I'm not paying 1500 USD for it, and if I do, I'm still gonna bitch and moan that it isn't a V8.

isn't that exagerated? are cars in usa SO cheap?
here in luxembourg you can't find a decent car for 1500 euros

>he kind of engines that made 325HP in 1970 were making 175 by the mid '80s.
That works both ways you know.
>V6 F-body
Pass. In theory the V6 should be more than enough for the car but GM considered it an economy version and following their apparent corporate philosophy regarding such things they equipped it with a really long final drive, tight converter, cam and intake arrangement designed to make power below 4000 rpm and not one rpm above that. Sure, you can change all that but then you'd have a 200hp V6 when for the same efforts you could have a 350hp V8.

not the students :)

It's a bit exagerrated. In general you can get junk that can go for a little while for less than $2000 but if it runs, drives well, has a/c, won't need any real work for a while the market value will be around $2500. If it also presents well and would be something that's ok for a 2-3 years it'll be $5000 minimum.

sorry for the newfag smiley

Many states don't have inspections of any kind and those that do, just check to make sure the engine light is off.

I wish I could come to Trumpembourg but you guys are building a wall against eurofags like me.

In the United States, used V6 versions of muscle cars are only bought to either rip out the engine and put in V8 or break the car up for parts to fix your V8's body. You can get a 2005 Mustang V6 for $4000-5000. A V6 third gen is like a $1200 car.

A V6 Firebird from those years will be slower and handle worse than pretty much any modern European small car. You also have no concept of how poorly built the interiors on these cars are if you haven't owned a 1980s American car before.

The cars I've bough over the last 5 years:

$800 1986 Mercedes 300E needing major work
$2400 1996 Miata in great shape
$4300 2004 Mustang GT V8 needing minor work

I've bought shitboxes since I was 17

>1990 Lumina APV 3.1l V6 auto
500$

>1996 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1l V6 Aut
1000$

>1988 Isuzu P'up 2.2l I4 5-speed
Traded wrecked Grand Am straight across

>1987 Jeep Commanche 4.0 I6 auto 2wd
500$

>1996 GMC Sonoma 4.6l V6 Auto 2wd
1000$

>1993 Mazda MX-6 2.5l V6 5-speed
840$

>1993 Chevy S10 2.8l V6 5-speed 2wd
1000$

>1984 Buick Lesabre 5.0 V8 Auto
1000$

I still have the S10 and the Buick.

a v8 third gen is worth 1200, the only third gens that handle good are the TA ws6 the iroc-z and maybe the z28, and even then those are only acceptable with the 250hp 350, they did make 345 torque though, 90s american is worse i wager

No we're not. Quit listening to the media. You come here legally and there's not a problem. Come here illegally by the millions and undercut wages while also trying to make political changes to bring the shithole you left behind here then we have a problem.

If you can speak English and know some American history you can get in just fine. I highly recommend moving here, cheap guns and cars what more could you want?

this

it's the illegals we got problems with, not the legals.

I speak english perfectly and bring money.
And I fucking love guns and cars.

But to come to live to USA you first need a job there right?

We'd love to have you here then, but I don't know the requirements since I'm natural born. I'm sure it'll be easier for you than some spic with no dollars and less brains.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a V6 turd gen.
And I own a 4th gen.

I must admit, I too live in the realm of 5k-35k (no joke) turd gens, which is a shame because I like them a lot. Down in the US they're awful cheap, but I do know a guy who rebuilds Trans Ams, and I can get a good turd gen for 3k.

It's a big boat that weighs about as much as a late 90's Lexus LS but with half the power, none of the safety features, poorer mileage and worse reliability.

On the other hand:
youtube.com/watch?v=oNyXYPhnUIs

Not necessarily. It helps. My understanding is that for most countries there's a lottery system that randoms can put their names in and hope for the best (if they don't have a desirable skill).

If you're getting an education, become a nurse. Fast track to citizenship.

Kek, I have owned a Firebird and a Trans Am so far. In USD I paid 1,700 for the Fire and the TRans was free but costed about 800 in crap to repair it. These were both V8 too. Very fun cars. Wait and get a 4th gen if you can.