Redpill me on these

Redpill me on these
I love pop-ups, but because of snow I'm not confident enough to get RWD, but I want something fast nevertheless
There are 2 good, cheap offers, with below 150k mileage, one with 2.5 163 PS, second 2.0 117 PS
Originally I wanted a Celica but no one recommended them in terms of speed/tuning (unless awd, but it's out of my budget), so probe is my second thought
Are there any particular things I should avoid when buying one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xM_88Nv3ulc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mazda MX-6 in a bodykit, Probe GT has the sportiest suspension out of all its sister cars iirc (MX-6, 626, Probe) but the MX-6 is the lightest.
2.5l V6 is a very nice engine, but a bitch to do certain jobs on (timing belt/water pump). 2.0 inline 4 isn't really worth bothering with.
Watch out for rust and signs of abuse from the previous owner.

inb4 chris finley

Just bought one a week ago. I'll fill you in on the details.

Pros

>V6 torque, sounds like an old Grand Prix car when you wind it out
>the FWD is actually neutral, it'll go sideways if you let it on slick surfaces
>1993 has the sportiest and stiffest suspension
>93 is the best year, most features and lowest ride height of all
>rides like it's on fucking rails and can outcorner some newer RWD sports cars
>2.0L I-4 gets awesome fuel mileage and maintenance is a cinch but is absolutely gutless
>parts are still plentiful
>R134 AC in most models pre-94 and all post 94
>V6 5-speed is faster than most of the Honda hatches of the day and will never get stolen

Cons

>transmission is made of glass so don't beat on it too much
>timing belt water pump and tensioner job on the V6 is ultra-nightmare mode for vehicle maintenance
>4-cyl isn't much better
>93 suspension will make you seek a chiropractor if you have a bad back
>some models are prone to rust, check the trunk area and around the windshield

It's a fun car you'll like it but don't pay much for one. It's a great way to get into the 90's sport coupe segment without the Fast and Furious tax.

Jezza seemed to like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=xM_88Nv3ulc

How is it performance/tuning-wise compared to other pop-ups of this price range?
I mainly have things like celica, prelude(3rd gen), miata in mind

KLZE swap has 200hp

It'll walk all three of those out of the box by a considerable margin, except for the Celica All-Trac.

>not confident enough to get RWD

What does this even mean? It's not like power going to the rear wheels makes your car uncontrollable what the fuck.

It's often raining in all seasons, with ton of snow in winter. By rwd I mostly meant mr2 and I'm confident enough to drive it with such condition with it's oversteer possibility. I just don't want to risk

I'm not*

You're gonna be fine, drove a 944 S for 5 years daily, rain, snow, or shine. Hell it did way better than my truck did after it and just as good as current (fwd) car. Just drive conservative during bad conditions, have good tires, and a brain.

I'll think it over then, but this would be my first RWD so although I know how to counter oversteer, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull I out properly.
I'm also far from rich, so buying the car + tuning alone will be hard. If I ever crush it, it would be a catastrophe

you will pay a significant ricer tax on those, the awd celicas are rare at best, and the miata has a huge drift tax on it

I will say the FWD is nice in slick conditions, having all that weight of that big V6 over the drive wheels is nice in the slick.

I feel ya man, I was the same at that time. Luckily i bought that 944 S 7 years ago for 3500 with 80k original miles on it. I don't think countering oversteer is a big deal - you just feel where the car starts slipping a bit and let off the throttle without hitting the brakes and the nose will right itself then the rest of the car will follow. In the end though, you just gotta do what you think is best for you. The probe wouldn't be a bad idea for tight money, as another user stated you're gonna be paying a good amount for an earlier civic or miata. If your budget is around 4k look into base 944s if you're comfortable with rwd, the turbod stealths if you want to stick with fwd, golfs, civics, ect.

I wonder how that armchair soldier is doing.

Forgot to ask, but would mk1 or 2 be a better choice?

Mk2 got the KL V6, mk1 got a turbo variant which is supposedly pretty good too.
KL sounds better and mk2 looks ever so slightly better in my opinion.

Okey, thanks
My last questions is, if there is a way to distinguish GT version from a normal one, other than engines?

It probably says GT on a badge somewhere.

Or a sticker like pic related, which was probably optional. I don't think the GT got special bumpers or anything.

Got it, thanks user

Not op, but I wanted to ask, how are these as a first car?