What is something you miss from old cars that new cars are lacking?

I'm going to say visibility and comfort. Cars today make me feel anxious and overwhelmed with worse visibility to boot for the most part. But give me an old van with bare basics and I feel right at home. Also, seating was better in older cars, it's rare I find decent cloth seating in cars today.

Other urls found in this thread:

chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6173949772.html
youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg
youtube.com/watch?v=OZAZ98C9JzY
youtube.com/watch?v=6BCXRF0KuRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I miss fuselage body shapes with open front fascia, i.e. 70 Mustang Shelbys, 70 Challengers, and second gen AMC Javelins. I also like that older cars have good ground clearance.

Only visibility

Only after I sat in some 'normal' sedans from the last one or two years did I fully understand why boring crossovers and lifted wagons like the CR-V or Escape sell 300k+ per year now.

I have a hope that good electric cars like the Bolt and others will allow designers to strengthen the front greenhouse and A-pillars without making it hard to look out of without worrying about a 400lb block of metal suspended in the way in the engine bay.

Hand cranked windows.

I own one with hand cranked windows. You're not missing shit. The ability to roll down the passenger window without performing gymnastics is a dream.

>hot as balls outside bc summer
>hotter than balls inside shitbox bc no a/c
>roll down driver side window
>it's not enough
>lean over to roll down passenger window
>almost swerve into traffic because I can't see
Every fucking time. Never getting a car with manual windows again

Sun protection.

It didn't really hit me how hot modern cars are until I got back in a 67 Mustang coupe on a summer day and it was ok being in there. I got to looking and the sun wasn't really on me anywhere nor was it really intense on anything inside. Then I understood, with the nearly vertical greenhouse most of the time you were in shade unless the sun was really low. Modern cars with their virtually horizontal windshields and back glass and acres of heat absorbing plastic underneath them coupled with pronounced tumblehome on the sides are just unbearable without tint and a/c.

Steering column shifter, but what do I know I barely know how to drive

No, fuck that. My grandpa taught me to drive manual in his 58 Apache, it fucking blows.

Problems with heat stem from airflow. Buyers want their expensive new cars to be quiet and comfortable, so weather seals and sound seals are thicker and more robust. And firewall and rear venting is kept insulated and stifled.

The death of smokers/front vent windows from crash protection and cost adds to this.

I barely drive, not touching a manual for awhile.

My Accord has a manual. From my experience floor mounted shifters are miles above column mounted.

Style and reliability.

>wing mirrors
>lack of electronics
>unironically carburetors
>metal dash
>v8s in small cars
>2 door suvs with v8s
>cars with fucking character
>the front tires not directly under the windshield

Cars without all the extra shit. No radio, no power window cars, etc/ were easier to find back then.

;^)

I'll bite.

Compact/2-door suv's that weren't crossovers. Small durable boxes with a foot of clearance and 360 view came stock. Just enough power to get the job done.

I'm glad I didn't ditch my 98 Cherokee and spent the dough to keep it alive. It's 175" long and easy to park. I was looking at the modern equivalents, and my options were either a 180" "compact" with 5 inches of clearance, a 195" boat with 8 inches of clearance, or a Subaru Forester with the clearance and length but god awful motor.

I guess I miss that you can't really get 'everything' in a car anymore. Not the sport utility's at least. And hell I'm only 22, I'll be lucky to find something from that era with less than 200k miles on it once Betsy croaks.

Wait for 2020 and start saving money.

>E-Bodies

Bronco right? Tbh I'm kinda sad VW isn't going through Ruth the Tiguan GTE concept.

Any other models to keep an eye out for?

Yep. If the roof is remove able I might consider to daily so I can get something like link related as a project.
chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6173949772.html
I don't even like ford.

God yes. The Challengers were absolutely sex

Lack of Nanny features. Seatbelt alarms, traction control that cant be turn off, etc.

I miss character... All cars look the same

I miss actually having room to work in the engine bay

vented quarter glass

Go to South America, they are selling brand new Toyota Yarisis with hand crank Windows

Pop up headlights

>cars with fucking character

Cars develop character in retrospect (see: 80s shitboxes).

Dying when you get in a car accident.

Fucking manual transmissions goddammit

Solid front axles in trucks and SUVs. Also, trucks and SUVs that aren't gussied up luxury fagmachines.

Simple single or double din headunits instead of proprietary bigass infotainment system garbage.

Hell yeah man.

steering feel mainly
i like the older cars where it's harder to turn and not like having someone else turn it for you. it's way to twitchy with some of the power steering trying to drive. all new cars I've driven it's like I'm controlling a remote that's controlling the wheels turning. but with other older cars that also had power steering, it was just enough that you didn't have to do a workout to park and closer to manual feel while driving where it wasn't overly easy to turn and doesnt feel rubberbandy in that you turn it but it takes a little tiny second for it to kick and turn with the powersteering

also I like wind windows more then power. electric windows are slow as fuck. wind up can do it quicker, not have to go oh left window down, have to go put keys in ignition and turn it on to get it back up.
and also not have to fidget around with button to get it a good level

I drove my uncles 79 Ford while my truck was in the shop and those things are honestly better than AC.

Cars purely built for comfort. Sadly "luxury" these days seems to mean "can lap the burgerking in 9 minutes while being completely loaded with every single possible gadget".
Stop it. Luxury cars aren't supposed to set blistering lap times. That's what sports cars and supercars are for.

Pic related is one of the last comfymobiles I can think of.

What makes it comfy?

The suspension. Designed to keep the car as level as possible and absorb every single bump in the road surface.
It's like you're not even touching the road, it feels like you're floating on a cloud. A magical cloud that you somehow still have perfect control over.
youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

>floor mounted transfer case shifter
>more engine options
This might be more of a european/norwegian thing. You used to be able to get like 5-6 different engines, or atleast differente setups for an engine. Now you're lucky to get to chose between a single diesel and a single petrol
>1-DIN/2-DIN radio slots
Becoming more and more rare, sadly
>solid front axle
I wish it was still an option for pickups and SUVs, but I can kinda see why they're not much of a thing anymore

How strong exactly does the greenhouse of a car have to be now? The Aurora of the late 90's was strong enough that not only did the roof support the entire weight of the car but it broke the crusher machine GM was testing it with and had to be moved to the truck testing machine instead, and that car has fucking miniscule pillars and gigantic windows compared to the cars now.

Good old fashioned mechanical limited slip differentials

Manual window cranks.

The Ford Fiesta S, (which is the base model) still has manual crank windows.

youtube.com/watch?v=OZAZ98C9JzY

Has to be strong enough to withstand the holocaust.
Seriously, though, I do miss the old days of having windows and windshields you could see out of. No wonder they have to mandate backup/forward/sideways cameras and blind spot monitoring shit, because you can't see out the goddamn windows. Might as well make the whole car windowless and have 360 degree cameras at this point.

That'd be pretty fucking rad though

I think the BMW i8 had a pretty decent solution, side views on either side of the rear-view.

youtube.com/watch?v=6BCXRF0KuRs

Collum shifter and bench seat. No joke.

Normal size wheels, trucks that arnt either land barges or sissy wagons.

ground clearance

less safety mandates and regulations saying cars have to have 10 billion airbags and have to give pedestrians blowjobs

specifically- not giving a fuck about the european market and designing cars for America first and foremost