/CCG/ Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Classy dealership edition.

Bring your classic and lets all get rust and gasoline in our eyes together.

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity

>Post your classic, your work on it, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions

>That classic you're eyeing on Craigslist definitely needs a shit ton of work

Other urls found in this thread:

waco.craigslist.org/cto/6201241940.html
wanganmidnight.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Z
youtu.be/hjodYyN1u3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Smells like chicken.

Possibly going to be the next owner if everything goes well tomorrow.

Anyone know how bad a 352 with a 3spd auto going to be on gas?

I had a 66 Dart with a slant6 and 3spd, and I got 8-17mpg with it.

you will be lucky to get over 9

Look at that sexy bench seat.

Dang it...

Depends on gearing, but probably at most 13

I'm ok with that.

that is pretty fucking ugly desu.

you gotta texture it up somehow, put that white pattern on the door down the middle of each side or something, damn bro. I can just imagine getting in that sone of a bitch after work.

think of your legs in shorts man.

Thank god I have my trusty Mexican blanket lol

bench seat best seat

When you make a new thread, link it to the old thread so we don't get 2 threads

>I had a 66 Dart with a slant6 and 3spd, and I got 8-17mpg with it.
that's a whack variance.

>352
>3 speed auto
>Air conditioning

Gas mileage BTFO

>tfw some douchebag in a lifted truck in front of me at the stoplight spools up and rolls coal all over the front of my car

God damn it, why

Cause the majority of diesel truck owners are giant fags

>tfw i will never get to roll coal in a wrx

Two motorcycles welded together with a steering rack macguyvered between the bars

>RWD
>MR
>lighter than anything ITT
>faster than your MR2

Surprised nobody's done this to make a properly mental kart actually.

Having an engine per driven wheel could make for an interesting differential system. It would be a fucking pod racer.

problem solved my man.

plz post pic with blanket in it.

This is why you N/A tune.
In my experience cucktruckers get ultra-pissed when you end up being faster then them.

>pod racer

You had my curiosity. Now you have my attention.

man that's some west coast chopper type of shit, a fucking dual motorcycle chariot type of shit.

the vibration would be insane, there'd have to be some more stabilization, it couldn't use motorcycle tires, could it?

Selling my '96 Dodge Ram 2500 "Twister Truck Replica" to buy back the '71 Torino 500 my dad bought me as a graduation present, that we had to sell shortly after he got diagnosed with cancer. Guy's cutting me a nice deal to buy it back, car was one of the most solid Torino's I've ever seen.

Going to turn it (the toothepaste green one is how it looks right now) and, keeping the vinyl top, repaint it into the dark green one, but with Magnum 500's.

that's the equivalent to a nigger putting dubs on a crown vic.

have a new bad photo
been running smooth lately
but the new temp gauge goes up 190 and /stays/ there
i dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing t b h

would hoon.

noice.

190 is barely hot. You have an excellent cooling system.

Ya. Idk what the fuck was up with it. I didn't think going from 85 to 93 would make that big of a difference.

I want to just rip out the ac

Holy shit, I haven't seen that car in forever! Looking good

I wouldn't rip it out. The compressor doesn't have the belt hooked up, you're not gaining or losing anything with it in there.
There is always the chance that another owner could have it retrofitted and get it working

Almost never post in these threads but I redid the lifters and rocker arm studs today on my '67 Camaro, gonna finish up tomorrow and fire her up (hopefully with no more ticking noises)

There is a 4dr '64 Electra with rebuilt 325HP 401 nailhead in my area, power seats, A/C, mint interior, only needs paint as far as I can tell. $3500, sounds more than worth it, but I have way too many cars and no money at all. If anyone's interested I can go check it out for you, it'll probably be fun anyway

waco.craigslist.org/cto/6201241940.html

Thats nice and clean. What engine?

Best I could do. Looks nice mang

Smallblock 350 out of a '75 C-10 with Patriot Freedom heads, Edelbrock 4-barrel 650 carb, and some stupid huge cam that has - until now - destroyed almost every component of my valvetrain at some point

155 miles with no tail lights and didn't see a single cop on the road. I need to buy a lottery ticket.

How do you pay that much money for a car and not have working tail lights? Shit's fucked dude

You dont realize how much that thing s worth do you?

Are all toploader 4spd's the same? If so what's the right transmission fluid to use?

I think he said he paid something like $7500 for it, can't remember.

Also that's no excuse for not having working tail lights, unless you buy a $500 car

Beat them down to 5k. Original price was 10 in their ad. It needs more work than I wanted to do, but they came down and it's a true SS so I took it.

It actually goes like a dream, someone fucked with the wiring though. I had my brother in law tailing me all the way home, and the four ways worked, so I went for it. No ragrets.

Interior isn't terrible. Filled my truck with parts for it. It's a factory AC car. Got both front fenders, spare ac shit, two new bucket seats and a pile of hoses and other shit. Literally filled my pickup with parts.

I hate the rims though. Think I'll be investing in some rally wheels shortly.

If I buy my dream car (VW Iltis) for use as a daily when I'm not riding my motorcycle, what sort of products/preventatives can I do to protect it from winter abuse? I really only have room for one car, and I will be DDing it in the Edmonton winter. And it can handle it just fine, but beyond undercoating and frequent washes, what can I do to protect her from salt/slime/etc?

>Edmonton

Ayyyy, me too.

Undercoating and frequent washes should suffice as far as rust goes. Did those come with block heaters? Other than that, thinner oil and bundle the fuck up lol

>when you really like the look of pic related
>but it's incredibly difficult to find any for that year at all, all of which 25k+
>And 4-doors are even harder to find

is there any other options (besides getting incredibly lucky of craigslist) other than saving for for 20 years or something?

Classy dealership you say?

Whatever happened to that guy who drove his impala home from some Army base and it caught on fire because one of the drum brakes was stuck or something like that. Then he finally got home and him and his dad are restoring it.

I had a rear disc lock up when I was driving one time.

Son'bitch was red hot when we finally parked up to check it out.

Gatewayclassics
They're in a few major cities.

I have no friends. How do I find a smog place that will pass a car that definitely won't pass at a normal place? I'm in California and my car is an 81, so it still has to be smogged

10k > 5k

any tips on bartering?

>are there any other options (besides getting incredibly lucky of craigslist) other than saving for for 20 years or something?

Settle for something less expensive and more common?

Man, it's really hit or miss depending on the seller, but the easiest way to barter is to start at the low value point on NADA and then find everything wrong with the car that you'll be dumping more money into.

Some people are reasonable and will come down, some people are uptight assholes who think they have a million dollar Jackson Barrett car hidden under all the rust.

I lucked out, but so did they. If they didn't come down I would have walked. This car needs a shitload of work that I didn't really want to do.

Patience, go on Craigslist every week and go through every state. Go to every swap meet and car show you can and ask around. And if you see one on some guys lawn go and ask him how much he would take for it.
I have gotten quite a few rare cars this way so I bet you can too.

Who do you guys use for classic car insurance? How much per month

I've been there

I found the most ghetto smog shop and offered a couple $100..

What part of Cali you from?

LS swap or go home

It will invariably be insured by a company you've never heard of. The major insurers don't actually handle classic cars AFAIK.

im pretty sure the emptiness in my life would be filled with a clean ls1 swapped 240 datsun

Clean af

kys

Oh jeez oh man. Love that color I wonder what it's called

What? Its just an ls swap, are you srs?

Hagerty is a enthusiasts insurance that I use, the rates are great.

Hagerty; roughly $500.00 per vehicle per year.

Nah as much as I think the LS is a superior engine I would want a meme car
wanganmidnight.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Z

PLS RESPOND

Hagerty isn't the one that's insuring though. I insured through Hagerty but they don't actually handle the policy or something.

Nope... I'm an old fag and the stock L28 only has 34k on it. It stays.

Los Angeles. I was wondering how to find a shady one. Is there a key word to look for on Yelp? A low-star rating? How do I even bring it up?

Thank you

#305 Datsun/Nissan Blue

>Los Angeles

There's plenty of shops stop looking online and hit up the streets

There are many places around south cali which can help out

Just keep your source information under wraps and don't share it since word does get out...

My dudes, how can i look at the cam profile numbers and tell if it's good for the street or the strip etc.

What make are you talking about? Generally everything mid 90s and older takes regular 80w-90, give or take some performance applications might be different

Toploader is a Ford tranny.

67 mustang with a toploader 4spd, my dad is grinding his shit up I think he's got wrong fluid in there. Are they different throughout years?

It's been done and even had its own race circuit.
youtu.be/hjodYyN1u3o

>my dad is grinding his shit up I think he's got wrong fluid in there.
Or there may be no fluid at all. I'd entertain the thought of having it rebuilt regardless of whether you change the fluid or not.

Exempt he had it rebuilt years ago, shop put fluid in too. I made sure to ask if he's putting clutch all the way in then he just told me to fuckoff

>Exempt he had it rebuilt years ago, shop put fluid in too.
If it's grinding bad then it's only going to accelerate the wear, if he keeps doing it i'll need rebuilt anyway.

Do you know what proper fluid it should have? Want to at least put new fluid in before he gets it rebuilt again

75w-90 until it's starting to spill onto the threads of the plug.

Any idea how much harm may have been done with a bit of grinding? I hear those toploaders are good trannys

Define a bit?
They aren't as bomb-proof as Ford enthusiasts claim, they won't survive bad shifting habits for very long.

The only way to tell how fucked it is is to drive it and see how much play the shifter has while it's supposed to be in gear, if it feels rough, makes weird noises while it's in gear, how smoothly it can go into gear (first gear is unsynchronized so this doesn't count). Take note of which gears grind etc.
The synchronizers will wear out before the gears but that needs a rebuild to fix those as well.

>They aren't as bomb-proof as Ford enthusiasts claim, they won't survive bad shifting habits for very long.
I should clarify before someone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying they're any worse than other 4 speeds, just that nothing will survive abuse forever.

First gear is what's been grinding

Okay well first gear isn't synchronized in any Detroit 4 speed that i've heard of. You're not supposed to touch it unless the car is stopped, just like reverse. They all make a clunking noise when putting it into first but that's normal.

So maybe because he's forcing it in gear without holding brakes? It's not a clunk, it's ugly oldschool grind sound

Could be, watch him the next time you're in the car with him. Sometimes they actually shift a bit smoother if the car is rolling slightly but if it's grinding there's a problem. Is he downshifting to first or anything?

No, it's when he's putting it in gear to get moving it grinds. Maybe it needs to get checked out again. He wanted to swap in a later 5spd. But I think he should have it checked out before he does that

Or, the clutch might be starting to go, the best way to check this is to put it in 4th gear and slowly let out the clutch and see if it even stalls out.

Clutch is good, when he rebuilt engine/transmission he put in good centerforce clutch kit

Well that is the only explanation that makes sense. He probably didn't adjust the clutch properly and doesn't feel like doing it again.