Need new car for school

>need new car for school
>wait too long, GTI/GLI all gone, can't afford the ones that are left
>say fuck it and get a 1.8t

how much did I fuck up lads

I have the 1.8T in my TT Mk 1.

It's not a "fast" engine by modern standards, but when the turbo gets spooled up it's more than quick enough to handle business and the engine's been around since the dark ages, as long as you keep up factory maint schedules (keep an eye on the timing belts) it's pretty much bulletproof. I like the exhaust note too, a nice low growl.

Assuming you're mated to the 6-speed Tiptronic you'll be in good shape.

nope, 5 speed; my last car was a slushbox and I didn't like it at all

I think it sounds pretty nice too

Should've just gotten a civic for 3k.

my parents helped pay but only if I bought a newer/lower mileage car

not that I would have bought an ancient shitbox civic anyway

Cool. Just keep an eye also on your oil consumption (constant short trips can cause sludging), and these cars eat coil packs regularly. Again, just take it to a good indie Audi/VW place (unless it's under factory warranty) and follow the maint guidelines and you'll be solid.

full pleb mobile, just a really plain car. way to go? at least the interior is nice.

Oh and ALWAYS use full synthetic oil.

Fuck you and your 3k civic that you'll never, ever have bus slut.

yeah I heard about the synth oil, but do r8 coil packs last any longer than stock? I know most people use them with a tune but if they blow up for no reason then maybe I should get a set, plus I'll probably flash it at some point

Love that engine, how are there no GLI left:( I'm hoping when I'm out of school to get a TDI

I have the 2016 GLI, the 1.8T was a mistake. I test drove it when I got the GLI and I feel like the upgrade is worth it.

I follow a TT forum pretty closely and I haven't seen any references to swapping out coil packs from other models. Genuine VW parts are pretty much the norm when it comes to non-cosmetic, non-performance replacements. Shit the OEM coil packs are pricier than most of the off-brand options anyway.

any thing remotely sporty gets sold at the beginning of the summer/spring because that's when they get driven
if i rice it out enough it'll be a gli is what I tell myself
a lot of gti owners say their coil packs blew right after a tune, I mean they have the 2.0's but I've heard a couple 1.8 owners have the same issue

>if i rice it out enough it'll be a gli is what I tell myself
I understand financial constraints but you'll never get that 6th gear through rice, or a bunch of the other features present on the GLI.

Still better than the base model though. I was gonna get a GTI but I'm really not a fan of hatchbacks.

the six speed is all I feel like I'm really missing out on, I don't really care about the creature comforts if that's what you mean

still pretty fun for a budget grocery getter i guess

The coil pack is still an issue? How can that issue survive generations of turbo engines?

Just make sure it's a manual, the only other thing you'd miss is the DSG vs slush.. THAT shit is night and day lol. That being said, one gear is just gas milage and a little performance... No biggie imo

What's the best non GTI/GLI Volkswagen with the 2.0T? I was looking at B6 Passats with the 2.0T and a manual gearbox. Those any good?

heavy and slow but pretty nice cars I think

i'm not amerifat so here's an europoor peasant's review
>The 1.8T is an old af engine. Pretty sturdy, but tends to eat timing belts and coils. Also tends to drink alot of fuel ( they do like 15 mpg city )
>The 1.8TSI however is a different story. Essentially the same old 1.8T but with more power ( 160 bhp vs 150 bhp ), lower fuel consumption and the coils issues have been solved. Still somewhat sensitive to timing belts change intervals.

If you bought the 1.8T you did fuck up good since you bought and engine launched in 1996.

The Audi A4 2.0TFSI is the best all-round VW car with that engine.
The fastest would be the A3 or the Golf GTI.
The 2.0 TFSI doesn't feel right on the Passat, the 2.0TDI suits the car's all-purpose, family-oriented nature. A Passat isn't supposed to be a sports car.

it's a tsi yeah

>What's the best non GTI/GLI Volkswagen with the 2.0T
The Audi S3 or Golf R.