Be 24, Working Mediocre IT Job

>Be 24, Working Mediocre IT Job
>Make 50k Annually
>Considering 2018 Subaru WRX 28k
>Would have roughly $1,500 left over after rent, car payments+insurance, and all other bills each month
>Should I get it?

How much is going into savings per month?

>rent

no

>>Make 50k Annually
keep going...

Why is this the go to car for every person that works in IT?

I work in IT, and three of my coworkers have a damn WRX.

>24
>Doesn't own a house yet

Meh, roughly 400.

Yeah you should look into getting a house first and foremost

>car payment

if you have 1.5k after a car payment, why not just wait about year and buy it with cash?

Because it looks nerdy as hell and IT guys are... Nerds. Same with the people who buy GTI's and ST's.

I figure theres no real big differences in waiting.

Fair point but I do not want to invest in a property when I'm not certain I want to stay in my current area for a long time.

Fun cars for what they are.

Just beware of the ringland failures that can happen around 40k. It's real hit or miss with these things

Just keep it stock till your warranty falls off and you should be ok

absolutely not. if you're under the age of 35 and spending more than 3k on a car, you're a moron

I have no plans to do any aftermarket performance mods. I'm looking for a reliable car for the next 5 or so years. The power + AWD is a definite plus since It snows a decent amount in the winter here. Otherwise I'd just stick with my 13 Focus Hatchback.

Should be ok then.

Just keep up with oil changes and checking oil levels and you should be good to go.

I have a hard time believing that you can have $1,500 leftover after living expenses on a $50k yearly salary. I used to make $50k yearly and with a $800/month car payment, I used to only net $500 a month. Unless you live in a place where a new car will be stolen, I doubt that your expenses net you that much. I can tell you that having such a huge car payment will not be fun at that low of an income. Try finding a used WRX.

This

>IT worker
>WRX

like fucking clockwork.

I work in IT but I'm getting a GTR. I however make over 100k a year.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm also aware that 50k is not a lot of income. I'm in a bit of a unique situation though. I live with 2 roomates and my girlfriend. My rent + utilities only come out to about $400 per month. Even though I pay all my bills myself, my girlfriend comes from a wealthy family. She helps a lot of food and other random expenses.

spotted the poorfag

buy it slightly used you nigger

fa20 doesn't have ringland issues you nigger

i make 100k a year and even i can't afford that after 401k contributions and health insurance.

Big difference between cash and a depreciating liability that you don't own while giving the bank free money in an attempt to have a lifestyle that you can't currently afford.

do you vape

I thought I was going to be making $60k yearly and living with my soon to be fiancé when I took out a $37k 4 year loan. Six months later, I was making $50k, living on my own and netting $500 a month with no 401k contributions. I don't want to scare you but shit happens. Signing a loan with so many expense variables has the potential for disaster. I think that $28k is a low enough loan to not bankrupt you in the event of catastrophe, but you'd be living pay to paycheck for the remainder of the loan. Since you already have a decent daily driver, I'd recommend a cheaper fun car that you pay with cash assuming you have room to park it.

On the daily friendo.

I appreciate the well worded reply. Quality points. I totally get that shit doesn't always go as planned. Its a big decision for sure.

On another note. Have any of you been in a similar scenario and it work out alright?

Don't let lifestyle creep mess up your future finances. I would wait if I were you.

20/[10%]/4

20% down payment, no more than 10% of before tax income per year, with a term not to exceed 4 years

so this means, you could buy a $20K car with a $4k down payment and no one could really think less of you for it.

OP, any deviation from this rule of thumb becomes a "i live to drive" decision.

When i made 50k i bought a car for 13000. i suppose if you had enough socked away for a down payment it could offset it but if i were you id buy used

>lifestyle creep
>Just wait til you're 90 to enjoy anything user! You wouldn't want to mess up your finances :)

spotted the poorfag who uses excuses like this to get through life

If it's any consolation, I make $75k a year in the automotive industry now and I have enough money to pay off the $37k loan exactly one year from the day I took it. Ignoring the trainwreck of my work schedule and work/life balance, I'd be considered more than well off now.

Because IT guys driving WRX was cool.... 15 years ago. Now all the cool IT guys drive i3s and 135s

weabo faggots with their waifu shit, everything has to be from grorious nippon

Apparently your coworkers decide everything that's in vogue in the automotive world. Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to have a laugh as I pull into work tomorrow and see exactly ZERO 135s.

There is nothing wrong with that, don't listen to these neets who refuse to move 7 miles from they're moms house. If you want to move it's a lot easier to pack up a etc and go then to pack up a house and go

I second this. Keep your loan to 10% of your gross income if you want to get ahead in life. I also agree that you can go over this rule, but you must literally live life a quarter mile at a time for it to be worthwhile. No other expensive hobbies, no $100 down on alcohol every weekend, etc.

I'm in a similar situation. I'll be making probably 40k net to me and I need a reliable car, but I don't have anything for a down payment unless I manage to sell my current car first. Want something decent, but don't want to be broke.

i think you should check out the elantra sport. cheap as shit right now. great little car. love mine.

hyundai shill pls go

No bank will give you a loan if you have no credit and no down payment unless you want LPG tier financing. You can easily buy a $10k Japanese shitbox with 100k miles and save up a year and sell the now $9k shitbox and get $20k shitbox. Buying a depreciating asset is a horrible idea unless you are willing to own the vehicle for at least 10 years.

Don't buy a house unless you plan on living somewhere for at least 5 years, and it's a terrible time to buy now, prices are way inflated - wait for the next crash and scoop up a house cheap.

>be today's day and age
>people having to live with their parents into their late 20s due to economy, housing prices, salaries, etc
>no matter what Veeky Forums board you go on, you're expected to be making 100k a year and even taking out a huge mortgage on a house you'll be stuck in for decades before you're even 25 years old

amazing really

I've had a credit card for 6 years with a 3k limit, paid it off in full a few times. Got preapproved for a 10k line of credit with no job. So I think my credit is decent? I really just need something more reliable than my current shitbox.

Assuming you have a job, you could take out a short term/interest loan on a $10k car that will be plenty reliable enough for you to save up for a year to give you enough money for a good vehicle. Financing a new shitbox is a waste of money. A brand new 2017 Camry will not be $20k better than a 2007 Camry.

Yeah, you're more than fine if that's the state if your finances. $1,500 for savings and spending money is pretty good.

I mean, it's never FINANCIALLY BAD to pinch every penny and put as much as humanly possible towards retirement and investment vehicles - but at some point you have to make a decision about what you actually value in life and what you want to do.

If your whole goal in life is to hoard as much money as possible and that brings you great joy - hey, more power to you. On the other hand, if there are things you would like to do or have then it's not wrong to spend your money on that either - provided that you're doing that responsibly and not spending yourself into the poorhouse.

Because it makes the most practical sense for someone who wants a performance vehicle, but also needs a usable daily.

If we're talking about new vehicles only and your coworkers want to buy new, what the fuck else are they going to buy for under $30,000?

A V6 Accord starts at the same price as a Limited WRX, same with a Camry. Even then while both of them are quick in their own right, they're naturally aspirated so they don't have that kick down low that makes the WRX feel faster than it is. Plus they're FWD vs. AWD and they're much more boaty feeling commuter cars.

The GT86 cars are more fun to drive but again less practical and not as fun on a day to day basis. Miata even less practical. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger... all 2 doors and less practical in a major way. Focus ST? FWD. Fiesta ST? Ok, it's a fun car and cheaper, but also FWD and lacking in space and power. GTI? Even if you ignore the fact that it's a goddamned Volkswagen it's a much softer and more comfort-oriented car. And FWD.

Like if it's going to be your car with which you can do everything in all weather and even achieve decent mileage on the freeway... what else are you going to get?

It's the 3-series of today - a serious, practical, affordable sports sedan for the everyman.

>>$800/mo car payment

What the actual fuck? Did you finance a brand new 335i like a moron or something?

I like you.

And yet you were saying to spend $30k CASH on a CAR? Sit down, you wannabe.

That flat out isn't enough for a new WRX. Your budget, with that income, should be $12k, max.

you're dumb as shit then...100k/year is not enough you absolute lemon

>what else are you going to get?
2018 Supra

Shit. I'm making less than 35k a year (e3 with bah) and I easily afford a 2017 tacoma, rent, and all that stuff. After every bill is paid for, I have 1300-1500 a month for food/gas/entertainment.

I'm getting married, and im looking at going to buy a project car tomorrow.

Granted im not putting anything into retirement right now.

Well, to be honest. My girlfriend would help me put down 5k as a down payment.

>Granted im not putting anything into retirement right now.

>not stuffing the TSP full

you stupid kid. you stupid, stupid kid...

did she cheat on you?

The equivalent of a 2 year old CPO 540i on a 4 year 0.9% APR loan. That's why I gave the advice to the OP to re-evaluate his decision since I made a mistake that nearly ended in disaster. That being said, it worked out in my favor being that I have a cool car now without going bankrupt. Though I'd have enough for a 20% down payment on a $250k house if I didn't get a newer luxury car.

What's the total cost of your loan going to be? 35k?

Why not buy an old WRX and build it up. for 20k you have an absolute monster of a car.

OK look, it is a bit unreasonable to expect someone making $35k to sock away $12,500 a year into retirement plans (or whatever it is for thrift savings plans, I assumed it's a similar cap). Even if we're talking about $35,000 net, that's nothing left over for cash savings or a rainy day fund or a college fund or anything else.

The mustang is in a similar boat when it comes to a RWD coupe with decent power, and is relatively affordable

The FRZ could easily steal this if they literally just put a small turbo into an STi FRZ instead of giving you nothing but a shitty lip kit
But I remember an user said that if they did that it would just make the WRX's redundant, and it makes me sad as he'll that they probably will never make a turbo version

I beleive around 31k. 5k down payment. Probably pay around $425 monthly.

>buying a new vehicle off the lot
>buying a vape mobile
>buying a 4 clyinder 250hp (250ft lbs of torque at 5000rpm lmao) """sports""" car that has the same specs as a shitty 5k van

>mfw

I'm getting out in 4 years and im focusing on paying my student loans.

>4 clyinder
>same specs as a shitty 5k van
are all busriders this retarded?

>Buying/financing a NEW car before a house

Nigger no don't do that

Yeah, until you buy your 2nd engine block.

EJ25 is a frankenstein N/A-only engine that scares the piss out of me. There's so much voodoo and bro-science out there about how to NOT blow it up that it's a meme even among the Subaru fanatics now. Don't get me wrong, that low rumble with aftermarket exhausts sounds nice as hell, but building and modding an EJ25 STI or WRX might as well be throwing money down a hole - especially since FA20 WRX's are going to be more and more common and less and less people are going to want to buy used parts off you once you're done.

I guess I didn't know it was a 4 year. Even so, the math in my head was ~$450 or so for a 32k car with 6k down at 1.9% over 5 years.... so I was imagining a $800 payment would be for like a $55-60k car.

embrace the suck now.

don't rent. buy the shittiest, cheapest house your VA loan can get you. live like a pauper. eat at the fuckin' galley. cram as much you can into the a retirement account. if you do these things your first enlistment (4-5 years im assuming) your comfortable retirement is all but assured.

t. the ghost of milfag future

>wait for the next crash
So, never basically. Or WW3. When the next crash happens it will be another recession

Unfortunately I found out that sometimes the stupid 10 gf red flags image macros spammed on /pol/ can be true. She met numerous conditions on it but the one that got me the most was the if a girl is wanting you to rescue her from another man, she'll do that again. I made the mistake that she wouldn't go behind my back with her ex. The worst part was her blaming me for everything since her parents convinced her that I was the problem. At least I wasn't married and I am now in a somewhat respectable career path. That's why I recommend always planning for the worst financial case possible since things out of your control can go wrong.

>spotted the guy who will have a retirement that he can live on instead of hoping the government and family will support him through death

I'm pretty sure that BRZ vs WRX thing is just some shit some guys made up and then everybody started repeating it because it sounded good. They could've easily made a BRZ STI with 250hp or some shit and sold it for $35k and no one would've batted an eye.

People still would've bought WRX's - it's an iconic car and, most importantly, it's Subaru AWD and 4 doors. It's the car that Polish dudes in Wisconsin buy when they've got a fiance, a dog, and maybe a baby in the near future, but they still want to have a cool car and drive up the slopes when ski/snowboarding season hits.

Plus, the BRZ STI would've been the same price as a base STI (so significantly more than a base WRX), but without the trick AWD system and, once again, 2 doors vs. 4 and coupe vs. muh rally car. Plus the STI still would've had a good 60HP advantage.

The real reasons:

1. Toyota hadn't had a 4cyl turbo in FOREVER and weren't read for one at the time so they weren't going to be the ones to fund the research on a one-off engine that they're never going to use elsewhere

2. Subaru doesn't make low-slung sports coupes. Not even the 2 door Imprezas were anything like that. They weren't going to spend the money to plan a whole new line of cars that didn't REALLY fit the brand just for an experiment.

gotta build that credit to get a good rate on a mortgage

>save up tons of money today
>choke to death on dinner tomorrow

I think the Mustang is in a slightly different boat, and it relates only to the GT trim. It's the cheapest V8 you can get new with the biggest HP number. The Challenger R/T gets "only" 375hp from the Hemi and the Camaro SS is fuck-expensive now.

>spotted the 60 year old corvette owner
ftfy

Jesus Christ you people are salty as fuck. So much projecting in the thread. OP buy the damn car if you want it. Don't let some bitter Veeky Forums faggots tell you what to do with your money.

Save up a little longer for a bigger down payment and get an STI instead.

That what I did and I regret nothing.

Also go pure red. It's best.

Also I suggest trying to find a base 2017. You can probably negotiate down to ~25k. I bought my '17 in February for 26k even. Don't be afraid to give them a price and stick to it. Also if you didn't specifically ask for any custom options don't pay for it, and don't pay for the "delivery" either. Good luck.

15+ STI's wear red and black nicely

Yeah, I totally want to drive shitboxes until I'm almost 40. Great fucking idea.

The funding excuse for turbo systems for an "experiment" might have flied when the FRZ 1st came out and no one knew that ppl would like them and want them

but it's been proven already that ppl like FRZ's but need more low end power and eventually ppl are gonna find something like a 6th gen mustang to get that power in a coupe, if the mustang had handling similar to the FRZ and didn't have the Ford badge it would already be the god machine that Veeky Forums has wanted.

>mfw people make fun of me for enjoying shitboxes at 35

Would you rather live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood or have a cool car in an apartment? You can find plenty of fun cars for cheap but you won't find good houses in desirable locations for cheap.

What this guy said. The biggest thing about buying a car is learning to negotiate and be firm. Don't pay for all the BS they add on.

I negotiated the shit out of my '16 STI Limited for 38.3k. When I got there they had it marked up a few thousand around 43k.

The time value of money

Stop living above your means, moron!

Not OP but in a similar boat and make slightly more. I plan on going through an apprenticeship and getting the fuck out of the state in 4 years. I'll stick to renting and not have to deal with any maintainence, lawn care, taxes, etc. And have as much space as I need cheaper than buying a house. Sometimes it's better to rent and if young single people want to have fun with their money let them. You sound like every bitter young person with kids I know.

>EJ25
You mean EJ20?

>Renting
>have as much space as I need
>cheaper than buying a house.

I lol'd heartily at this.

I work in $2m+ big ass houses all day and really don't get the point of them. You shouldn't have nice cars without a garage though.

>it would already be the god machine that Veeky Forums has wanted.
the 86 was the god machine Veeky Forums asked for, check any archive for before the 86 existed and people are practically writing the marketing material for it directly into Veeky Forums posts, nobody hated on it then, before it existed. The reason you see people hating on the 86 is because Veeky Forums is a clusterfuck of retards who just want an excuse to argue and whine.

Pop on craigslist and you can find plenty of commuter cars and vans with 300hp

>wait for the next crash and scoop up a house cheap.
If OP lives in the city then this wont happen. For an example, Washington DC pretty much laughed off the 2007-08 housing crisis.

My current car is a Scion xb, However I make 95k and own my own house. Any new car I get ,I'm buying outright or with a substantial down payment.

Seriously, fuck having a high car note.

I'll be laughing heartily when your furnace goes bad and you gotta mow the grass before it rains after work while I'm relaxing in my luxury condo not worrying about shit.

>Oh know if I don't mow the lawn today something bad could happen I guess??

Better than paying someone else's mortgage and spending more money on rent than I would a house with land :^)

>condo
i need at least 2 acres for my shitbox collection

>Every community and housing market is exactly the same as where I live
Jesus Christ no wonder you're sitting on Veeky Forums giving financial advice. You should write a book.