I'm going to be painting my truck soon and I'm going to be using urethane paint...

I'm going to be painting my truck soon and I'm going to be using urethane paint. Does it matter Much what kind of primer I use. I don't see much point to buying expensive urethane primer when primers main purpose is just so the paint will stick and to smooth out scratches. Picture unrelated, I'm driving and all I have is what's on my phone.

Bump. Really curious about this. Not doing primer on the old truck just some spots and the hood. For some reason the hood has tiny star-shaped cracks. I'm just going to send the paint down that's still good.

bump for crotches.

Yes it matters, buy the primer listed on the spec sheet for your paint.

Is that Lauren?

Yep

Lauren what?

Lauren Cohan.
She had that show about the OC.

Sauce I can't find it

I paint for a living trust me bro it really does matter get a good 2 k primer or you'll risk the primer spots bleeding through also sand the cracks all the way down or you'll Rick them coming back up to

it was Loren Conrad, you dolt

Your prep job is your paint job. If you be a jew at any point your final product is going to be jewish.

It's Lauren Southern

Post cock

>I don't see much point to buying expensive urethane primer

Don't be a fool. Prime it properly. Paint has a different expansion coefficient than the metal car body. The primer helps to bridge that difference. Now, you say you live in Hawaii where the weather is always consistent. Okay. But if you live in Arizona, you will prime it or else the hot sun (like in any other hot state) plus the engine heat will cause star cracks to appear. The term for that is "crazing".

>I'm just going to send the paint down that's still good.
No, you should sand it down to the metal before applying the primer. If you don't, you'll risk crazing.

With all this talk about not bothering to sand things down, it makes me worried that you are cutting other corners. Did you take all the trim and badges off? Did you remove door locks, handles, and even the window frames and windshield? After you remove all those things, you can sand it down properly and paint it so that you don't have the "maaco look" around the windows, trim, and other openings.

certain primer bases and certain paint bases wont work. Like lacquer and enamels won't work together since lacquer uses a much more powerful solvent than enamel so it will fuck with it and cause stripping, bubbling, cracking, splotching etc. It's always best to go whatever the container says to pair it up with to avoid a complete fuck up and having to strip everything to start over

You'll wish you had. I paint my own projects and spend at minimum 700 bucks on primer paint and clear coat combo from local paint shop.

Don't fuck up the paint because you half ass it just sucks having to redo it.

Wait, wait, OP, is that you?