Just got license today, thinking of getting an FC

just got license today, thinking of getting an FC
do they really break that frequently? eg. will it be too much of a hassle?
>inb4 "a terrible first car"

note: I am willing to do some work on car, I don't expect to have a perfectly functioning 25+ year old car all the time, and I do have moderate knowledge about cars

Do you have access to a second car?

LOL yes- is it that likely to have major problems?

DO NOT buy any rotary.

I know someone who torched theirs for to get rid of it.

iIzheh

lovely

this. they are getting too expensive. no one buy them

If you want a fast/fun RWD car get a Miata, or Toyota MR2 (1st or 3rd gen)

First, they are cheap and fairly reliable given their age. They are also easy to fix and find parts for.

Second, they aren't really fast, but they are easy to drive fast in canyons/twisty mountain roads etc. You won't impress anybody, but you will learn to drive, and you have loads more fun right from the beginning.

Third, aside from passenger/storage space, they are totally practical vehicles you can drive every day.

An FC would be an awesome car if you had your own garage, were friends with an automechanic, have deep pockets, and loads of experience owning tempermental old cars. That day will come, but for now they are best enjoyed in pictures and youtube videos.

thanks for the reply, I definitely dont have alot of money lol, so more and more its not looking like a good idea

Its your first car, user. It shouldn't be what you want but what you can afford.

If FCs are cheap, and there is not much rust in it (only big issue is rust since you a SHIT TON of money to fix frame back to factory stock) you can go ahead. People that cry about rotary being unreliable are a meme. Just rebuild the engine every so often, mix oil and fuel, and rev it whenever you use it. Watch flooding the engine. Literally no one i've seen take care of a rotary had issues with it as long as they didn't treat it as a piston engine.

>just got license today
gratz
>thinking of getting a FC

> "People that cry about rotary being unreliable are a meme. Just rebuild the engine every so often"

Terrific first car!

What movie is this from?

Telling someone that an MR2 is easy to drive in canyons is kind of like telling an aspiring biker to get a 250cc two stroke GP bike because it doesn't have a lot of power

You can get pretty much any car to do something like this mid-slide by overcorrecting while trying to slow down, but MR2s do it for you.

The non-turbo cars last forever if you look after them, there are 13Bs with 200k on them.

The turbo models not so much. Buy an NA one, change the oil every 3k miles and it'll be sweet.

OH SNAP! how could I forget about snap oversteer??

Note that I recommended the Mk 1 and Mk 3, and not the Mk. 2 Death Machine.

I own an Mk 3 MR2 and that thing drives like it's on rails. It would be an excellent car for a beginner. Weight distribution is damn near 50-50. I'd venture to the MR-S and the MX-5 are the best handling cars you can buy cheap.

Quit memeing faggot.

thanks alot for the tips

I mean first car doesn't mean I'm not willing to do any work.

yeah I've heard that about the turbo models. thanks for the reply

ok so whaty im getting from this, is that for a first car and lack of experience it will be difficult to maintain and require alot of effort, but IS doable and will require a good amount of cash. so it goes down to how crazy i am i guess

>I mean first car doesn't mean I'm not willing to do any work.

You don't have to dive straight into the lava end of the pool. You'll have a better time with a different old car if you're looking for a project. My 30 year old Corolla gave me enough to do as my first pseudo-daily project.

It'll only require a lot of cash if you get one in drop dead "needs a rebuild ASAP" condition.
I've got 2, one just needs a new tranny, which isn't a lot. Drove it for 15k miles as if I stole it, and it had 257k miles on it before it finally gave out. But the motor on it is still running strong on nothing but oil changes and spark plug changes, with some light premixing.

The second one is probably in that "Needs a rebuild" state, as I've yet to get it to start, but it does turn over. I'll be compression checking it later this week. But worst case scenario, I get to use the tranny from the second one to fix the first, and then slowly fix up the second one as I can.

Main point is, get a decent one and it'll only be minor work you need to deal with. Get a shitty one, and it'll end up costing you quite a good couple Gs at the MINIMUM.

>All these nu-males being scared of a little difficulty in their lives

Get the FC, son. Rotate to victory.

The rotary is a garbage design and will never come back no matter how much you sperg and it has nothing to do with emissions.

They can be somewhat reliable, but it is an again vehicle and parts for them are starting to get more expensive. Plus you need to do rebuilds every so often.

If you don't have a whole lot of disposable income, I wouldn't advise it.

Though there are plenty of other "fun" cars that are good to learn how to wrench on and modify, I'm sure reading more on this board can point you in the right direction.

Nah, nu-males are the ones who like being contrarians and buying special snowflake cars.

>Being scared of being a special snowflake

Beta nu-males, the worst kind.

It doesn't need to comeback when it's already here, Mr Smartypants.

What's your favorite brand of leather messenger bag?

Non in production. Stay sperged.

Fix-A-Fag

I can still buy F3CS and F3DS, and be man enough to take care of my machine.

>the rotary is dead!

Except where it is being used in aviation and marine as well as a range extender for next gen hybrids.

Did it work?

Thanks, yeah Ideally I'll buy from someone who knew how to take care of it, and im eyeing some who changing major parts in 04'

Op here, my nigga

Nope, you are still a fag.

aviation and marine don't count. We'll see about them being used in hybrids. Wasn't there supposted to be a RX9.
Your day will come ICEcuck.

You cruising for some ass?

It's great to see OP not being a faggot for once. Good luck, user.

With a whole lot of sass

OP again, to all those that tried to reason not to get any state FC as a first car, you basically reinforced what i already thought about people who arent willing to put in a bit of work for their first car. If what others say is true, about a good state FC not having to be the exaggerated pain in the ass to maintain that you make it to be, then even as a first car it doesn't seem to be a problem. Thanks to all the replies.

The rotary is just shit by design. I don't think its bad it's very unique. They are just unreliable do to the amount of moving seals in the engine(crankcase seal side seals and apex seals). Doesn't make any more power because the rotor doesn't get pushed down at a 90 degree angle like a piston so its on par with a piston engine. It's very expensive to produce and they don't give the rotary the oil injection it needs which is why they premix.

Why do you want a Rx7 as a first car? Its a nice car but there are alot of other nice cars that require less work and less money and can be modded for cheaper as well
IDK about USA but in NZ everyone selling a RX7 is doin it cos they cant afford to fix it and are just trying to off load the problem to someone else.
Just be very careful mate, alot of people will try rip you off esp with rotaries

It is a nice car, and yeah the rotary has really intrigued me. I'd really appreciate if any of you guys could mention any similar vehicles that would make a better fit. So far ive seen miata and mr2 mentioned. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be careful of seller if i decided to go this route.

Idk anything about USA car market but i recommend buying something kinda shitty and cheap just to thrash the fuck out of
Your first car is a stepping stone to the car you actually want
Any Honda with B16/B18C engine or Toyota with 4AGE engine will never give you above minor problems and they go hard

>crankcase seal

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about

>garbage design
>wins LeMans

As long as you aren't a retard and know how to actually maintain a rotary it'll be fine, they can last a long ass time if you know what you're doing and actually research them.

>"ROTARY IS DEAD"
- "its still used in these areas
>"T-THESE DONT COUNT! NOT A CAR!"
faggot.

>Doesn't make any more power because the rotor doesn't get pushed down at a 90 degree angle like a piston so its on par with a piston engine

OP: In case you are wondering: rebuilding a rotary engine is simple in comparision to rebuilding a piston engine. There are tutorials on YT even.

fuck off kid, buy whatever you want

I remember you from the MR2 thread I made.

So their aren't 3 seals to hold the oil in the crankcase. You're the idiot.

>that somehow proves me wrong

Pic related

Boats are gay. Planes are only good with a jet engine. Stay sperged.

ok bro

>The rotary is dead, except for these major future plans to use it, as well as it's widespread use in aviation, boating, and racing

Hmmm

Wheres the RX9?

In the ICE gulag

MR2s only do that when you drive like a moron. if you want to drive that close to the limit on public streets you SHOULD snap oversteer and wreck your car

> near 50-50
stop posting this meme
why would you want 50/50
the spyder has a weight distribution of 43/57, which is superior

Being developed

> Planes are only good with a jet engine
> talking about shit you know nothing about

>miata
>fast

Have you got an insurance quote yet? Is the 4 grand a year really worth it for a 140hp eventual lawn ornament?

>only cares about doing sick skids

?
50-50 is easier to do skids with

Yeah. More on the front = more skids.

More on the rear = better exit cornering speed.

>more weight in the rear creates more skids
I don't think anyone wants those skids

In Initial D hell on facebook rotary owners claim that they aren't too bad if you actually look after them.

I thought you were trying to say 43/57 is better for skids, so nvm

i am not the user you were replying to. But sometimes people misunderstand stuff, so its ok.

Handling is somewhat subjective but my cars weight distribution is more 60/40 and the ass demands to swap places with the front.

True but that's a different kind of skid

Bill and Ted's Bodacious Break

Of course you claim you don't own a pile of shit.