Do you use cruise control? How often?

Do you use cruise control? How often?

I for one don't like it and rarely use it unless I'm on a straight highway with no traffic. I have an adaptive driving style and adjust my speed and following distance to the traffic around me. My dad however is very pro cruise control and uses it like 90% of the time, even in very heavy traffic. I think all it does is frustrate him and makes him drive unsafely. It makes him tailgate, approach slow moving traffic WAY too fast, and battle merging traffic instead of adapting his speed. When overtaking a car instead of moving over at a safe distance and accelerating to quickly pass he gets right up on their ass, moves over and takes forever to pass, then cuts over in front of them before there is enough distance.

Anyway what does Veeky Forums think of it? I think it's unsafe bullshit for lazy drivers.

I use it often on long trips, as well as on a few select roads with particularly strict speed enforcement. It shouldn't be hard to adjust your speed and lane as necessary in light to moderate traffic, and if you drive a newer econobox, your car probably has RADAR that adjusts following distance for you.

I only use it just to make sure it still works or to make my trips more interesting by accelerating and decelerating with the steering wheel controls

I mainly use it on long interstate drives.

I don't even know how mine works tbqhfam

i use it literally every day on my 20 minute commute since VA is just full of fucking pigs and speedtraps

[spoiler] i'm also baked and riding dirty all the time [/spoiler]

I'm right there with you opie, I just don't feel in control with it. My driving style is hyper conservative, like my political views. I never tailgate and only pass when I have a window.

I don't know about you guys, but in my driving experience on long road trips, there's always construction here and there, or the odd backup, or an unpredictable highway that I've never been on where I might want to slow down for a corner, etc etc. It literally seems like a feature made for the plain states (Iowa, Nebraska) where driving can actually become rather mundane, and you'd rather focus on your radio program than driving, and the nature of the highway allows you to do so.

I don't oppose other people using it, but it's just not for me.

I don't have it.

adaptive cruise control is the great invention since cruise control

I've used my cruise control for 53.73% of the time I've driven in the past week, which is the lowest I've ever seen it. It's usually over 80%

i don't have it but i wish i did
the USDM version of my car has it as standard

> his car has cruise control

top kekleljejlmao

I drive 45mins to work so I use it every day. Even wish I had an autopilot so I could take a nap.

Its one of the things I really miss having.

Cruise control
Air condition (for the four days of warm weather we have each year in Norway)
Rear seats (will be installed some time in the future)

I like cruise control. Never felt that I relax more or less with it, nor that I was paying any less attention to the road - it was just "nice" to be able to lock it in and have it keep a consistant 87kph in the 80-zone for the next hour

Fun fact; I owned my Mercedes for nearly half a year before I realized that it had two modes for the cruise control; one that would restrict the speed so I wouldn't go over the set speed, and the standard one that kept my speed without me having the foot on the throttle. I drove around with the first mode only for that time, thinking it was the only one it had

I wont buy a car that doesnt have cruise control. My current car doesnt have a cancel/resume button and it trigger the fuck out of me every fucking day.

only use it through areas i know that have speed cameras in them. plop it on and cruise on through. most of them i get some asshole riding my bumper

the thing about cruise control that i hate is that i have to be ready and keep my feet in normal driving position so i react properly when something happens so it kind of makes my use of cruise control redundant. if my feet aren't where i expect them to be, i freak out for a second like i forget to drive? anyone else understand this? the same thing happens when i use my handbrake in traffi queues and take my feet of the pedals. my brain doesn't immediately know how to process things when not on pedals

>I drive 45mins to work so I use it every day. Even wish I had an autopilot so I could take a nap.
same, I don't get the auto-pilot hate here. I could relax or get shit done if I didn't have to focus on working. I still enjoy driving but commuting isn't enjoyable driving to me.

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback with the first gen Eyesight adaptive cruise control. It comes to a complete stop and resumes crawling traffic conditions with the touch of a button.

It had a weird learning curve for me for a solid year or so as I was learning how the distance/collission/braking fuzzy logic acted (unexpected braking is always a surprise), however after that I use this in virtually EVERY drive, especially in city/town driving. Yes, it makes me lazy, yet I love its ultra-convenient and reliable operation.

In So Cal it has been a godsend as it does a great job of detecting other fuckwit drivers and their fuckwit actions in front of me.

not recently, its been a few years
i usually only use it on long drives like Sacramento to LA down I5 but for regular stuff naa

Same. I need to stay less than 10 over because I've always got at least a gram in my car somewhere.

I ripped my cruise control system out this April after 8-9 years of never using it.

these.

4+ hour drive on boring interstate? Have cruise set to 10 over and sit there, preferably in the right lane depending on average speed of other motorists.

pic not overly related

if i'm trying to eat a messy burger in my car using cruise control weirdly makes it a little easier. aside from that i never use it even on long drives

Nothing weird about it at all. Getting rid of the need to modulate your speed on an open interstate or like this frees up your concentration tremendously.

Ford?

I don't think you know what redundant means.

You mean the cotter pin picture?

There are fords in the house I have access to, I don't regularly drive one though.

Well what did you mean by trust? I've seen a ranger with hubs attached to axles by a small nut and a cotter.

Pics of ranger?

Its 30+ miles away. I don't have any.

You bastard.

Fuck u. Eat my dick.

God I love this place.

I think it's inherently unsafe and lazy and have never used it in any car I've owned. About the only time I would even consider using it is on a long/flat/straight stretch of desert road like on the way from CA to Vegas, or maybe on a deserted stretch of interstate in a flyover state.

if a cop is following me i set it to 5 over the limit and just chill. what are they gonna do, waste their time for $50?