What are car companies Going to do when all the boomers are dead and gone and no one is spending 40,50,60...

what are car companies Going to do when all the boomers are dead and gone and no one is spending 40,50,60,70 thousand dollars on shit cars that last one lease period?

are we Going to see the return of cheap, affordable shitboxes that actually get good millage and will actually last 250k miles/20 years and brand new innovative car companies? we live in interesting times Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vb496EZlUg8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dude, just buy a new Nissan Sentra.

The thing is, Gen X will become the new boomers, and they'll retire and waste their savings on a new "car", and then millennials will do the same thing in another few decades, and so on. New car sales are never gonna stop, and with the government interference and all that shit, they're only going to get "safer", "more reliable", and "more fuel efficient." They'll still look like ugly shapeless blobs with no windows and overly-angry front ends, with 4,000 airbags and blind spot monitoring system monitoring systems and all this ridiculous shit that no sane person wants. But Consumer Reports will still be around, and they'll pull the wool over the Gen X's eyes by saying "You should get a new car every 5 years to make sure you have all the latest technology and safety features."

TL;DR the days of the affordable, no-nonsense shitbox are over.

What is wrong with airbags

This pretty much unless if we have ww3 and all generation x gets sent to war and they all get wiped out leaving generation z to stay and become hipsters that only like cars from the 80's-90's

Ask yourself what airbags that expand for all of a second are going to do? You either hit the steering wheel or bounce around for so long that it doesn't matter.

Gen x isn't big or rich enough a cohort to have boomers status. It's extremely stratified.

Nothing wrong with airbags for the driver and front passenger. But I think all the other ones are a bit excessive. And the funny thing is, if I remember right only the two front airbags are the ones required by law in America. The carmakers have brought the whole 4,000 airbag meme upon themselves.

millennials and gen x don't have the money for 40k+ cars

Moshi moshi shitbox desu

this is like the only thing op is talking about that exists

he said reliable

when are cars actually going to have a legit Manuél transmission option?

There will be an industry crash, followed by deregulation and then every car will be electric, because it's easier to tell if someone designed them to break.

Gen Xers are the ones propping up the lease car bubble, though, not Boomers. Do you think Boomers buy modern BMWs?

Fuck boomers and Gen X.

I find it disgusting how a car from 1996 lasts longer than one from 2016.

Probably not. You can already see where they want things to go, they want you spastically pushing buttons on your smartphone and renting robotic self driving cars to get from place to place. If anything, they'll make cars more and more unaffordable to keep you away from owning your own car.

There will always be a few weirdoes that will build their own cars in order to own them, but they'll make it inconvenient enough that only a handful of people will ever bother.

Just take a look at that SNL Lincoln parody series. Matthew McConaughey is squarely in the middle of the GenX demographic. And what is this "luxury" car they're flogging at them? The MKC, which if you look it up, is based off the Focus platform. They're not flogging their Navigator at them, but some hopped up Ford Focus. That should tell you everything you need to know about how much money they think GenX actually has. And the Millenials have even less.

New age of shit boxes. Deregulation will save us to a degree.

There will be a crash, it's ongoing as we type and read. Deregulation? You're so funny. No, they only know how to pile on more rules, never take them away. Maybe in a complete collapse and revolution. Maybe. If you're lucky.

>are we Going to see the return of cheap, affordable shitboxes that actually get good millage and will actually last 250k miles/20 years

Motherfuck no. It's not economically viable to make anything to last these days. Electronics, tools, vehicles, etc. If they engineer a vehicle to last your going to wind up with $100k 100hp shitboxes. Just look at a semi tractor or a piece of heavy machinery built to last, then look at the price tag.

Most modern people are perfectly happy with a $90 a week lease payment and a new car every 4 years.

I'm getting this shitbox and no one can stop me!

No, it makes perfect sense when you need to sell more cars, with more "equipment" and on better finance deals than the year before

Nothing can be 'built to last' in this environment, the generations from boomers onwards have become more materialistic, they didn't grow up with few possession and thus learned to look after things

new cars are reliable but they arent just made to last. They are disposable just like a laptop or a smartphone. Technology ages pretty fast.
Its not unusual to see 5-10 years old BMWs and Mercedes with over 300k miles without any major problems, but as they start getting older than that and stuff begins to break they get too expensive to maintain.

LOL. GenX is too old to go to war or get drafted. If you were born in 1970, you're 47 years old today. No, it's you Millenials and GenZ that will have to fight. And probably lose. Badly.

every other new BMW i see is driven my some old guy wasting his kids inheritance

There's always gonna be people financing cars, how do you expect young people to be able to save up 20k cash.

Nobody buys a car outright these days, it's really only the rich that can afford to.

We're falling further and further into a debt society these days, and There's no way out

is that when you hire a mexican to sit in the passenger seat and change gears for you

It's sad, and I hope owning a car doesn't become like owning a horse is today. I really don't want to have to "rideshare" a "connected" "mobility solution" to go anywhere.

Not many people finance cars these days, It's a lease market. Even rich people lease their luxury cars.

basically this

>every 5 years

might be caused by having to change the battery packs on EV's. I was looking into this and all 2012 for about 6k but to have the packs changed is about a 5k. People prefer to sell it and get a new one instead or just lease and return at the end of the term.

electric geo metro is the future

Owning a horse back in the day when they were used was a bit rare too. Most people hired a carriage to get them from place to place. Only rich people had horses in their own stables.

I just want a modern geo metro

no bull shit electronic shit

Too bad, safety regulations and consumer demands won't let that happen.

The closest to that is the chevy spark or sonic hatch

well fuck, I just bought a new 3 cyl Focus. How long can I reasonably expect it to last? I owned my last car for 15 years.

Chevy spark costs less than $16,000, which is cheaper than a brand new Chevy Cavalier was (taking inflation into account) back in 1995. Do you realize how much more car you get now for the same money? It's incredible.

One week after warranty is up

im at 50k miles so far no repairs

Good I'd rather not see another car company go down at least they're trying

>muh boomer are ebil boogieman and the world will be saved when they die

>the days of the affordable, no-nonsense shitbox are over.
honda fit starts at 16k
civic sedan and coop are 18 and 19k
hell even an accord starts at 22k
those are all very affordable and the fit is a no nonsense shitbox, base civic could be considered one too

>There will be an industry crash
probably
>followed by deregulation
not likely

yfw this video
mfw this video
youtube.com/watch?v=vb496EZlUg8

>22k
> affordable for the average millennial with little or no credit

1993 f150- $12K LX base
1995 Geo Metro- $8K 1.0 3 cylinder base

that's affordable

yeah and a 1969 camaro ss sold for just under 4k
it means nothing because adjusted for inflation and stuff that 12k f150 would be about 20k and the 4k ss camaro would be about 27k today
so yes, a 16k fit is affordable and 22k honda accord could be the top of the affordable range

My brain hurts thanks to that user.

Friendly reminder that this is MSRP. It's not too hard to get a OTD price 2k less that the MSRP.

my man

Level 5 autonomous technology will be in the next generation S-Class.

The next S-Class is due in 2020. Audi will mostly likely follow suit by retrofitting the 4th gen A8 refresh with Level 5, and BMW will feature it in the next-gen 7-series around 2021. At this point, an $80,000 vehicle will be able to drive you autonomously. In the next 5 years this tech will trickle down to the rest of the lineups and by 2025 a $30,000 vehicle will have full autonomous driving capability. Most people will start leasing more expensive cars between 2020 and 2025 because it will be worth not having to drive, as most hate driving. By 2030, the tech will be standard in every shitbox you can find, Camrys, Accords, Fusions, etc. This will go hand in hand with hybridization and EVs.

Due to the lack of need to drive, the car model will further move towards a subscription-type service. Uber, Lyft, and major automakers will offer a la carte services where you no longer even need to lease a car, rather just hail an autonomous vehicle for $3-5 per ride, or set up a monthly subscription.

The youngest Baby Boomers will be on death's door by the 2020s, and even the oldest will be dropping like flies. Millennials and Gen Xers will just rent/sub vehicles, and 90% of Millennial's children wont know how to drive car, or ever own one.

Manual driving will be banned sometime around 2035-2040, while enthusiasts will shift to driving on racetracks much the same way horses were phased out in favor of cars.

Pic related is your future.

except you know, in country towns where i live in australia, horses/wagons are still permitted on any road under 60kph.
I can expect the same for cars.

Please no. I want to go fast. I want to drive. I don't want to be cucked by the state even more, they already keep trying to take my guns, and I have a fucking right to those. I don't want them to take my cars too.

double ree

The generations after millenials will be too poor to own a car.

>Ask yourself what airbags that expand for all of a second are going to do? You either hit the steering wheel or bounce around for so long that it doesn't matter.
This is some retard-strength misinformation.

The point of the airbag system is to work in conjunction with your seatbelt and seatbelt pre-tensioners to keep you, the occupant of the car, from sustaining serious injury during the initial impact.

They're designed to absorb a large amount of force for that brief moment when your car is hit by another, or runs into a building/barrier, which is usually a very brief and violent moment of deceleration. You don't need the airbags to deploy for a long time to make a crash a hell of a lot safer - they just need to dampen the blow and make sure that you're kept in a safe position while the car's frame protects you from becoming one with a telephone pole. Crumple zones also help absorb a lot of the energy from the initial impact as well.

By themselves airbags don't do a huge amount, no, but they're not intended to work alone - having a seatbelt and a properly adjusted seat, collapsing steering column, and pre-tensioners that snap the seatbelt tight in a crash is what allows airbags to work their magic.

You're an idiot if you think they do not provide a valuable measure of safety in a crash.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it sucks that manufacturers keep cramming them into every nook and cranny of a modern car, partly because it makes them more expensive, but mostly since it means any airbag deployment well be a financial writeoff.

Cynically airbags are designed to make a fatal accident that the medical system can't make money on, something less fatal that the medical system can make money on.

Because hospitals are such huge shareholders in the car market, right?

They're designed to reduce fatalities, simple as that. If you wanted to play the cynical angle, then they at least allow a customer who would've otherwise died to buy a new car from you later on.

Tesla already does it better, and I wouldn't trust autonomous driving to
>german engineering
either.

Or you could just buy a sportbike

Once all the shitboxes are gone there will be nothing else

>"I don't care about safety features and want more involvement. RWD manual pls!"
inb4 someone thinks his miata is safe.

A motorcyclist in a $3000 aribagged and armored suit wearing a $1200 helmet, $500 gloves, and $800 boots is safer than a miata driver because he has the advantage of being able to happily tumble down the road, separated from his large chunk of metal, which, isn't all that large. 400lbs maybe.

Also future sportbikes will probably be self balancing or some bullshit. They already have dual combined ABS, traction control, riding modes, electronic throttle maps that make it harder to take the engine out of the powerband (ie: can't actually use certain throttle openings in certain gears), slipper clutches that let you shift like an idiot, etc. Also pretty much guaranteed are more stability and chassis rigidity enhancements like hub center steering that could bring about the end of the "no braking in a corner" rule for non-track riders.

Of course, sportscars are becoming similarly idiot proof, but those cost 80 grand and sportbikes cost 15 grand new and five grand two years later with a big nasty scratch on one side and a bent brake/clutch lever (if future sportbikes will even have or need clutch levers)

adding to this post

by the time a bike really is your best option, you won't be allowed to use anything manually driven outside of a racetrack, so suit up.

>A motorcyclist in a $3000 aribagged and armored suit wearing a $1200 helmet, $500 gloves, and $800 boots
And I can count on one hand the number of motorbikers EVER that have had anything approaching that level of safety gear on. Typical biker rides around here without a helmet, in shorts and sandals. I don't really care, if a biker gets into an accident, they're more of a threat to themselves than anyone else.