/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7GnALBvFKW0
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840553603
youtube.com/watch?v=xDCLz_coPHs
store.steampowered.com/app/269770/Secrets_of_Grindea/
youtube.com/watch?v=_iL__muiBQ0
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2347&v=znOieSu_PRI
youtube.com/watch?v=0k6Xwg_lhuQ&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=3UUJCrgJnzM.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I managed to find some code, but frankly, I doubt even I can rig them to do exactly what I want.

Well, yeah. I hope you didn't expect game development to be clicking awesome buttons until you have a full game.

who's everyone's favourite /indie/ e-celebs?

I'm just noticing I had more fun creating stuff with Ren'Py than I have with RPGMaker.
And that's not even touching all the work needed to balance bosses, so far, I'm just playing with maps.

But I think I'm doing it wrong, I should have an idea of what I should do before I start clicking and typing.

Well, creating VNs or RPGs sure is different business no matter what engine you're using.

Whatcha making?

I don't really know yet. Probably something edgy and chuuni. Once I understand what I can and what I can't do.

I mean in term of code. I have no clue about Python, yet I manage to understand maybe 25% of Ren'Py's code, just enough to rig it a bit (even if trying to add battles to it always fell short). With Rpgmaker, I may as well be staring at Chinese.

How is Even the Ocean? I liked Anodyne's atmosphere and the gameplay was a fine-ish Zelda-clone.

Also, it overly SJW? I don't usually care, I liked Technobabylon, but it just looks obnoxious in Even the Ocean.

It's a great game. No idea what retards mean when mumbling muh sjw

De Blob just released on Steam.
Doubt it'll get a thread anywhere on here, so yeah.
$20, on a $15 sale.

I think I played a freeware with a blob, several years ago.

Does this add anything or is emulating with dolphin better?

Someone complained about Rimworld not taking oxygen in consideration.

Does Dwarf Fortress have a moisture level?

I finished Paradigm. Pretty good.

I've cooled down a lot from when I first beat Even the Ocean but I still like it. The game is very compartmentalized in that you pass through narrative/adventure/platforming sections with little bleedthrough.

As for the SJWness, there's lesbianism and characters look untraditional, but it doesn't come off as a big middle finger to whites/males/straights.

The atmosphere is weird in Even the Ocean but not dreamlike like Anodyne. It's quirky and always feels a bit off. The game's narrative is more serious and down to earth compared to Anodyne and there's an air of melancholy throughout.

What did you like about it? Any memorable moments?

Jordan Underneath introduced me to some pretty good Horror indies.

What is the gameplay like? The trailer makes it look like it's just walking and talking to characters. Is there any real platforming, or puzzles or combat?

Its puzzles and jumping. There are hazards but you can't really kill enemies, all obstacles are things you avoid, not defeat.

Yeeep. You people weren't kidding when you were saying that the OFF fansequels are pretty bad.

>The atmosphere is weird in Even the Ocean but not dreamlike like Anodyne. It's quirky and always feels a bit off.
Because it mimics our world so pricely.
Thank you. I wonder if trails in the sky qualifies as /indie/.

TiTS has been discussed a few times. I'm just starting SC but I'm taking my sweet time with it.

Valkyria Chronicles and the Ateliers are in the OP.

Uh, yes? But Rimworld does NOT have a moisture level. If I recall correctly, it has a device that converts swamp terrain to dry ground. Actual moisture is not simulated in any way, there are no other interactions with it. Dwarf Fortress on the other hand has actual simulation powering similar terrain changes and relevant gameplay stuff. Also, rainfall/drainage are actual worldgen parameters.

Not to mention it also has multiple liquids with different pressure behaviors when in large 3D reservoirs and smaller amounts of liquids are tracked with insane detail.
The textbook example of the latter being
>booze is spilled in tavern
>cats walk around said tavern
>get booze on their paws
>clean their paws afterwards
>get drunk
>die from alcohol poisoning

PS. DF doesn't simulate atmospheric gases in any way either so it's not like Rimworld is worse for that. But such simulation would fit Rimworld's theme better and improve the game by providing additional optional challenges (embark on a planet with shitty atmosphere) and make optimal play less boring (undermountain bases should require air circulation or similar penalty for being the best-by-far option as far as game mechanics are concerned. Also, infestations inside them could be a potential danger if fires required oxygen or were otherwise harder to manage.)

PPS. The more I think about Rimworld/DF, the more absurd the comparison becomes. It's like weighing which is better, a 555 IC or x86 CPU.

Trails isn't indie, but I guess its the obscure/misc part of /indie/ since its talked about here sometimes.

>Rimworld does NOT have a moisture level
Yes, thank for confirming what I said.

But does Dwarf Fortress have moisture? Like, can your stores get fucked (mold) if there's too much water near it?

Saint
Magicdweedoo
Selfish Dream

Pardon me, I thought you were talking about terrain moisture level since that's somewhat relevant to both games.

No, there's no mold in DF. The only uncontrollable spores it has are for underground flora and their behavior is very simple, not simulationist.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yeah it is sadly very obscure.

Moisture in relevant in Rimworld? I know the ground being fertile has an influence on your crops, but moisture?

I also remember you're supposed to water your crop in Dwarf Fortress. First and last time I tried that game, I accidentally pierced a river and everyone drowned. And then they were eaten by carps.

>You find the greatest treasure of all: friendship.

Yeah, Rimworld has moisture pumps. You can slowly turn swamp and shallow water tiles into dry ground.

Oh? Neat.

I'm a little annoyed there's no way to train your settlers. Kenshi had training dummies to slowly raise your skills. And I could really use medicinal herbs.

What with that sassy chest?
I just got Phantom Brave but Trails in the Sky sounds pretty fun.

Phantom Brave kinda scares me, there are so many ways to fuck up.

Every chest you open you can talk to again and get such lines in there.

Indies never die!

There's a bunch of indie games that have died.

honestly i just can't get into aquaria
i got as far as the three ghosts fight and just stopped playing

I am trying to remember where the 3 ghosts fight was. Could be right before the boss.

Are any of the Spectrobes games obscure enough to be here? I think since I got it years ago, I have encountered one person on /v/ who'd also played Beyond the Portals, and nobody in real life who even recognised the series name.

Yeah you could also try /jrpg/

/jrpg/ doesn't exist anymore I thought

Oh my bad. I guess such a drama shitshow could not survive forever.

Sad because I was around for the first /jrpg/ generals 5 years ago and it was a top thread

>no Terranigma and Live-A-Live
/vr/ is nice if you have old enough jrpgs you want to talk about.

Among the NIS srpgs, Phantom Brave is indeed the easiest to fuckup despite being one of the most lighthearted ones.

You need a solid build plan or your average strength just starts to fall off. Raw levels don't do much without good abilities, aptitudes, title stats, etc.

I don't have much to tell you without knowing your specific situation, but: do NOT power up a single weapon to godlike levels and just juggle it between party members. Some enemies learn to steal weapons, and default titles are HORRIBLE at steal resistance. Those chucklefucks are gonna mug Ash and beat him with his own weapon.

Now I've said that, I realise I literally have nothing to post about it.
I mean, I played it for so long that I did pretty much everything worth talking about, and the old DS lite has a mark in the middle of the touchscreen where I mined so many minerals the top layer wore out. The playfile had at least 500 hours.
It's alright I guess.

W-well... So far, I'm trying to level up all my character, including the happy Jew, but it's becoming quite a chore to redo the same map all over.

And I honestly have no idea if I'm supposed to give equipement to my units or no.
Since I infuse spirits into stuff, does that can I can craft or buy a supra haxx0r super sword or death, give it to a phantom, summon that phantom, have him drop his sword, and then summon another phantom in that sword?
I'd rather just pick "TEAR A FUCKING PINE OFF THE GROUND AND BEAT MOTHERFUCKERS TO DEATH WITH IT", the insanity of that option always makes me giggle.

>old DS lite has a mark in the middle of the touchscreen where I mined so many minerals the top layer wore ou
That is hilarious.

it was in mithalas cathedral, apparently
three priests, it was a boss

Ah that one. It's right before the beast and then the deep deep sea shit starts.

I recall back then there were complaints about the representation in that image even, but we did talk about those games too obviously.

/v/ doesn't want to talk about this game
I'm sure you guys are tired of retro platformers clones but video games are a hobby I've mostly picked up on recent years so Sparkster is like my first Megaman or Sonic and it feels amazing because of that.

Someone posted his review of this in the last thread. Seems fun but with technical issues.
Play Fredom Planet too

>Sparkster
That's a different guy whose games you should also give a go

Thought I was the one making a mistake.

That game was good, by the way, even if the robot part was annoying.

>but it's becoming quite a chore to redo the same map all over.
that's standard for NIS titles: they have refined grinding to a razor edge. There will always be a more efficient method to powerlevel, and doing any half-decent powerlevelling method turns the main story into an easymodo joke.

You will generally be able to get through main story doing whatever, but it quickly stops working in postgame.

>and then summon another phantom in that sword?
yes, but:
>you don't get to loot the random items on the map if you do that
>that is most useful when there isn't many things on the map to confine stuff to begin with
>Confining phantoms into haxx0r weapons only powers them up if the aptitude of the weapon is high. And it starts to get preeeeetty costly to increase aptitude.

>spoiler
you will be limited in 2 ways if you do that: abilities and weapon stats.

The only abilities you can level will be your character's innate abilities. The rest will be the default ones on the weapons, since you need to level up or spend mana to learn the later tier abilities on a weapon.

Statwise: those weapons will be pretty low level and have (relatively)low aptitude.

in general:
>if you level up merchants and jew it up, you can buy an expensive high level weapon and brute force early game
>levelling healer doesn't do much
>level the mana girl, mana is your scarcest resource
>level the bottle dude, ability to keep items from the map is suuuuuper useful.
>phantom brave is weird since abilities scale towards single stats. So grasses are actually OP since they turn SPD into the god stat: more speed means more damage AND you act faster to kill faster.

I heard it doesn't run on w10 but what other issues does it have?
Also FP is already deep in my backlog

I heard about him, I will give him a try, I love mascot platformers either way.

best girl

>if you level up merchants and jew it up, you can buy an expensive high level weapon and brute force early game
>levelling healer doesn't do much
>level the mana girl, mana is your scarcest ressource
>level the bottle dude, ability to keep items from the map is suuuuuper useful.
Yeah, I wondered how the system to bring things home and recover mana worked exactly.

>not Licorice
Shit taste to be honest senpaitachi.

bringing things home is reliant on only 2 things, I think: level of phantom, and what job the phantom is. The bottle is the best at it, and the low turn count and high SPD means it's about the only thing they can really do. It also makes them hard to levelup, though.

Mana is simple: kill thing, get mana. Getting a lot of mana is not simple. The only ways to increase mana gain efficiency is to exclusively use mana girls and fuse them into the unit you want to give them the mana, or learn the mana girl's innate skill, which itself costs millions of mana to give to other people.

titles and random dungeons(you'll get into those later) get SUPER complicated, and I don't blame you if you give up on that front.

Frankly, that already sounds plenty complicated. Shit, if I'm going to play it, I'll have to figure out how the chain system work.
Like, do I get stuff by turning slaves into ghosts, or just the master?

I don't know what you mean by chain

When a phantom disappears from the map due to turn count, they have a chance of keeping the item you confined them into.

That chance is the percentage you see when you hover over an item to confine someone into it.

What do you mean by slaves and masters?

What I mean is that some items are linked with effect, with a system that makes it that one item (the "master) gives a specific effect (like +50% XP or +50% armor) to all the items "slaves" that are linked to it, and therefore the ghost infused in said items.

I don't remember how the game calls them.

hey /indies/ yesterday i asked about 'UnDungeon' but the post was relatively late and the responses seemed interessted so maybe i post again.

the trailer looked very promising imo
youtube.com/watch?v=7GnALBvFKW0

it also got green light on steam
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840553603

devs about the game
>...There are some parallels with Souls-like games, however, when it comes to “spiritual” aspects, not the gameplay...
>...The fights resemble Hyper Light Drifter, Enter The Gungeon and EITR...
>...The artifact/skills system is quite similar to Transistor...
>...The general structure of the game reminds Space Rangers or Sunless Sea...

on kickstarter it looks like it'll ready to deliver in january 2018. im a bit hyped to be honest. anyone has any more infos? some insides?

I like the look.

oh right, Phantom Brave's version of geo effects.

Whatever is confined to an item receives whatever effects a "master" provides them for the duration that the "master" is not destroyed.

Those have nothing to do with stats or items you gain after the battle. They only affect combat within that map, nothing else.

Ha.

So infusing a ghost in the master was counter-productive.

not necessarily. If that phantom finishes his turn count and disappears, the "master" stops giving effects to the "slaves". This is sometimes important when monsters are receiving effects and the "master" is a tough rock or something.

does anyone here have played 'secret of grindea'?
since a lot of people here seem to enjoy 'stardew valley' including myself and i guess most are above 20 and/or have at least heard about or played 'secret of mana' it looks very very intersting.
i like the concept that the environment seems to have a big part in the gameplay and that it looks like it just plays like 'secret of mana' with a ton of other elements from well known and loved games. maybe a bit too much?
but it has still early acces which i normaly avoid.

any infos from people who played it? most reviews on steam have under 20h playtime which i think is a bit less compared to 'stardew valley'

youtube.com/watch?v=xDCLz_coPHs

store.steampowered.com/app/269770/Secrets_of_Grindea/

Ha, so infusing the "master" doesn't make the effect disappear, okay.

always been cautious of it because its from Chucklefish

I never loved my time there but because of it I checked out games like Atelier and I always posted my playthroughs of games

Why does this look like running at 15 fps?
Pixels look nice though. When did they add a demo?

Also looks like steam changed their store links. Now it forces the game name after the game id which I hope they will transfer to the screenshot filenames.

the youtube video looks perfectly fine. i just had to reduce the quality of the .gif so i could upload it. i wanted to show the change of environment and the effects of it for the gameplay.

Get webm4retards

indie bump

I wish the heads were a little smaller. I don't understand the obsession with bobbleheads when they don't even use the headspace for facial expressions.

It's "chibi".

chibi actually has facial expressions

They very clearly take advantage of the extra headspace to speed through a wide range of emotions. This is not chibi.

It it worth it to give people two handed weapons like longaxes, pikes, and greatswords in Battle Brothers? It seems anybody without a shield sandbags, but I found a special longaxe after killing a necromancer.

Doublefine's Amnesia Fortnight concluded.
>Darwin's Dinner turned out decent
>The Gods Must be Hungry turned out pretty good
>Kiln turns out good
>I Have No idea What I'm Doing is actually good, much to my surprise
>The bonus games are interesting too
youtube.com/watch?v=_iL__muiBQ0

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2347&v=znOieSu_PRI

It's not that bad...
The UI might be dogshit, and the combat not very convincing, the open world and map size worrying, but it's going to be alright. Stockholm syndrome fuck yeah.

>It's not that bad

STOP!

I just don't understand why they are doing this to themselves. They are an indie studio. Why do they want to compete with AAA? Skyrim was made with a team of about 100. Witcher 3 had 240.

Piranha Bytes? They have 25. So why, oh why do they insist on making games that are completely out of their league? Teams this size? They make Pillars of Eternitys, and Divinity: Original Sins, not Skyrims. Why the fuck can't they scale back a little and focus on quality over quantity?

And still I'm going to buy it day one and play the shit out of it. Fuck me.

Did you know Night in The Woods has its own cartoon?
youtube.com/watch?v=0k6Xwg_lhuQ&feature=youtu.be

>open source
>better
top kek

That world sprite looks hilarious

It's ridiculous.

>Eternal Access
I dunno Scoob

Hi there /indie/, I wanted to do a question.

I'm interested on playing OFF but I have read that there were some translation problems that leaded to some misinterpretations of some bits of the plot. Is the translation still bad or it has been fixed?

It hasn't been fixed as far as I know but the misinterpretation just comes from one line in one part near the end, it's not a big deal if you're made aware of it after the fact.

Aaaaaawww....

You can still find the old translation laying around, but it has been updated with a... urgh... "updated" translation that adds more options. Including a gender neutral option if you're an insecure faggot.
See the description in youtube.com/watch?v=3UUJCrgJnzM.

Were gender options even in the original?
I thought you were assumed to be the batter himself until THAT point.

I started playing OFF and I didn't listen to The Judge, now he's dead.
Oops

>Including a gender neutral option if you're an insecure faggot.
I didn't know about this and wish I didn't now

I see, thanks for answering anons. Will try it soon.

>Including a gender neutral option if you're an insecure faggot.

Hu... I guess it getting popular by tumblr comes at a price.