Could you make an electric car a purist "enthusiast" car?

Eventually ICE will become expensive/inconveniant or even illegal in our life time, and the DOOD LUDICROUS SPEEEEED gimmick will get boring once literally every car can hit 0-60 in under 3 seconds. How do we make electric fun to drive?

>one big electric motor driving the rears through a conventional drivetrain and mechanical diff
>4 speed manual (arguably too many for an electric, 5/6 is pointless) with mechanical linkage
>straight cut gears and noisy electronics to make Formula E noises
>batteries in the back for rear-biased center of gravity for a light nose, and no power steering for nice feedback
>bare minimum AI functionality to be legal for dense urban areas
>80's gauges instead of a bunch of giant tablets

Or you could just do a EV conversion on a normal car that doesn't look like George Jetsons bsdm dungeon.

Gauges and mechanical switches.

find a way to create realistic V8 or V12 sounds

Handling and weight, that's the main issue with electric cars.

Mazda will save enthusiasts with hydrogen-fueled quadrotors.

The last thing I want to drive is "fake" cars. I'd rather listen to nothing than having pretend V12 noises coming through the speakers. Have you driven a modern Nissan CVT with "sport" mode before, where it fakes gearshifts to be sporty? It's awful.

Yeah it's fake, but what can you do instead? That's one thing I will truly truly miss from ICE cars.

This.

Yeah i know that electric cars are silent but i'd rather hear what i have to hear and not some ambient bullshit.

>Wants a rear bias car whos front end can be described as "Light"
You don't understand vehicle dynamics. You're just a memer.
A light front end is hugely dangerous and tons of design work is done to balance the weight and aero to keep it that way.

As for the V8 sounds part, just mount a fucking V8 in the thing. Better yet, don't get an electric shitmobile.

Modern mid-engine (and even rear engine 911's) cars aren't dangerous, don't kid yourself. Not that mid-engine were ever "hugely dangerous" to begin with, you just needed to be light on throttle inputs while cornering.

>Not that mid-engine were ever "hugely dangerous"

>Modern mid-engine (and even rear engine 911's) cars aren't dangerous

This. Just ask Paul Walker or Ryan Dunn how easy they are to drive.

I disagree with the user you are replying to. But the walker crash was due to a shitty car with shitty tires with a shitty driver.

in terms of controls EVs are dead fucking simple if you boil them down, way simpler than an ICE.

the big problem is battery weight, right now.
if you could double current battery density you could easily make a miata that goes like a mustang GT and have a belt fed steering pump

i like explosions and shifting gears

i also like power, so just give me a hybrid sports car with a manual please

You pretty much described the car in your pic aside from the transmission. You just don't need a transmission, adding one for the sake of being "pure" and for enthusiasts is not the right direction to go, you want the bare minimum to get the job done. What I would like to see is ability to adjust traction control strategy/torque bias from the motors, screen instead of gauges is fine but allow custom setups of the screen (for instance let's say I want to look at speed, drive inverter temps, front rear torque bias, I can make a screen just for that, choose the background color, choose analog style or just number, etc). I think that would bring more people on board the screen thing, depending on how it's executed.

I want a big voltmeter/ammeter dominating my dash where there should be an RPM gauge instead

Mid engined cars don't usually have light front ends.
Even the 911 has an acceptable raw weight distribution number. The issue 911's had was how far from the center their weight was.
A light front end is extremely dangerous. Go drive an over loaded d21 on the highway and tell me how confident you are about wanting a light front end.

I am amazed that until now porsche didn't think it would be a good idea to go longitudinal MR instead of RR

>not wiring a guitar pickup, distortion pedal, and amp up to the motor to make it sound like the intro to Poundcake by Van Halen

As a mechanic, I fully support your quest to place transmissions in electric vehicles.

The more moving parts the better... hell, you know what? Lets put two transmissions in them... Fuck that, a transmission for every wheel, and a fifth to drive those transmissions.

No, wait.
A transmission that steps up, a transmission that steps back down, then gear box it to the front and rear, then differentials, then a transmission for each wheel.

Oh fuck I just came...