Legendary Diesel Thread

Post your legendary Diesel car/motor

Other urls found in this thread:

merchew124.blogspot.com.es/2014/09/el-mercedes-w123-de-dominguito-camino.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>2.8 million mile Mercedes

When I just put an OM617 in my G-wagen (had a 616 originally).

Good choice user and is it running? How close is it if not?

Yeah, been running for well over a year now.

Pics of engine bay? Interested on how it fits

Will see if I can find some. My pics are not very well organized...

you just cant kill this engine

Ayy, w126 here

VW 1.9TDI

I don't own one but those engines cannot be killed. I think they may well be considered the spiritual successor the THAT Mercedes engine.
>work with literally any fuel
>can be uptuned easily pretty high

Meh. The 1.9 Multijet is more reliable and doesn't have the propensity to eat turbos like it's nobody's business.

1995 E300D 450k miles

It's just breaking in.

>common rail
>on a diesel

I'd rather kill myself

Not him, but... I know lots of people with the 1.9 tdi, most of them tuned (more fuel and turbo pressure), and they are pretty reliable engines.

Maybe turbos are a weak point? The problem I find most on these engines is the variable vanes seizing with soot, mostly associated with either lugging the engine or use of an agressive enrichment tune.

I know of one guy that changed the turbo for a bigger one (along with a turbo back custom exhaust), tuned it, and hit more than 250 hp.
He drives it hard, and the only problem is changing the clutch every six months.

On the other hand, I know only of one person with a tuned 1.9 jtd...and it is a fiat multipla with an alfa romeo ECU.

1.9 TDI are reliable as hell. Multijet is garbage compared to the 1.9 TDI when it comes to reliability.

not the turbo itself is a weak spot, its the oil lining.
If you shut the engine off instantly the oil pump is off and the hot oil remains in the turbo.
because the oil lacks cooling in that spot and overheats which forms sediments within the oil lines and the turbo.

at one point the oil lining gets clogged or at least oil flow becomes insufficient and the turbo runs dry.

Always let turbodiesel idle before shutting the car off, especially after higher stress like the glorious Autobahn to let the oil cool off a little more. If I had a turbo diesel I'd install an oil temp sensor at the turbo

Are you saying that 1.9 tdi engines have an incorrectly designed turbo oil feed?

I agree with all that about the engine idling to cool off after driving hard, specially in transverse engines with the turbo behind the engine (like is the case with the 1.9 tdi).

Good joke there, mate.
The 1.9 multijets are bombproof.

We know breh, you have a fiat.
You have to accept it is not the best out there; as much as the italians were the first to create an electronic injection + common rail combo, they were not the best at it.

PSA mastered the fast diesel engine much sooner, and took the still-in-diapers technology of the italians and improved it to create the 2.0 hdi, spiritual antecessor of most modern diesel engines.

Tl;dr: Stop spouting bullshit and post facts, fiat shill.

>1.9TDI
>may well be considered the spiritual successor the THAT Mercedes engine.

No, just no. They may be numerous and therefore a safe choice, but they are mediocre at best as diesel engines.

If you want a good small diesel engine go Isuzu, Mercedes or something *gasp* French.

>1.9TDI

Some of the clunkiest sounding shit out there.

Tdi

Pls someone buy this off me

>5.700.000 km

3 engines (only 1 of them got totalled, the other is currently mounted, another one is just in case)

merchew124.blogspot.com.es/2014/09/el-mercedes-w123-de-dominguito-camino.html

2 gearboxes, if the translator is correct.