So I don't even have to take this off to check. My cat converter is fucked, right?

So I don't even have to take this off to check. My cat converter is fucked, right?

You don't need that shit anyways, nerd.

See that "cat's paw" mark in the upper left? That means a local thief has

Sorry. This is my first old car (86). I can just cut it off & run a line straight out? In Florida if that matters.

Thief has what? Car was my in-laws who had it for years w title. In my name now.

Are you okay?
Or did the local thief catch up with you?

The local thief is a local murderer now.

>Florida
Don't you not even have inspections there? Just weld in a chunk of regular pipe and take the bulb out for the check engine light, if it has one.

Or local sex-dungeoner

Is the check engine light on, and the code says catalytic converter? No, then no, leave it alone. Heat shield rusting means nothing.

>the code
it's an '86 fucktard

86 should still have OBD1 depending on manufacturer. My 82 Camaro has it, you pull codes by counting the flashes of the check engine light.

People itt are retarded.
That's just the heat shield (the sheet with the pattern of holes).
Is the steel behind it rotted through yet?
If not, rock on.

This guy's right. You can run a cat until the actual housing falls apart. Just don't park on any dry grass.

There is a check engine light that sometimes comes on, but it'll usually go off after a few minutes.

Also I'm getting really shitty acceleration & it struggles when I stomp the gas, wants to die when coming to a stop, etc & has a fast chugga chugga sound. And notice a rattling coming from the cat side of the car. I just changed the fuel filter in the carb, blower element & air filter. Didn't help a thing.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain its either the cat or fuel injectors.

>in the carb
>or fuel injectors

You are correct, Florida does not have any sort of inspections; however, it used to. And as a result, there are a lot of laws on the books regarding those inspections. if a cop ever catches you without a Cat. you'll get fined pretty heavily.

Even for cars over 25? Shit, I'll take Texas' inspections over that, since as it turns 25 the inspections become safety only, emissions isn't checked. My Z28 is straight piped and that's perfectly legal because it's over 25.

Without hearing it in person, it's hard to tell if the rattle is the heat shield being a little loose, or the inner material of the cat is fading away. If it is the inner material going away, the cat is becoming useless. There's so many things it could still be, like tired plug wires, tired plugs, and so on.

Intermittent CELs like that are usually misfires. You have something really wrong with something in the fuel or ignition system.

>. And as a result, there are a lot of laws on the books regarding those inspections.

That's the same everywhere you dumbass. Its against federal law to remove a cat on a car that came with it standard equipment.

Out of the 5 or so times I've been pulled or went through a check stop, you want to know how many times I've been given a ticket for no cats?

>Has a CEL
>Hasn't run the codes to narrow down what it is.

>86

nigga they still had obd you act like it's a 46 cheville

look you know how you restart electronics to make them work? Cars have a kind of "restart" too. fill the trunk full of shit, fill the seats with people and drive it hard up a mountain or large hill repeatedly. Get the temps higher then normal, not red lining but high and keep it hot for a while. This fixes so much shit its unbelievable, it can un stick piston rings, clean cat converters, free gunk in the cooling system, and more. Just make sure the car has all its fluids and check the fluid levels every hour or so.

It looks fine. Rust is common on exhaust parts, it doesn't affect the performance at all unless there are literal holes.