Subaru general thread?

Subaru general thread?

Who here actually has one?

Why does Veeky Forums seem to hate them so much?

were they bullied by a subaru owner when they were younger or something?

I own a V3 STI, and wife has an 04 Impreza TS.

They're solid cars... they have reliability issues because of these idiots who redline them on every gear change.

Our 04 lost the tranny (a single bearing died) at 280k KM... a starter a few years ago.. and I replaced the rad before it started spewing, was $15 for one that looked nearly new at the pick and pull.

Veeky Forums hates them because they can't afford a performance model, and they're sad that their base model Impreza is slow as fuck.

Seriously, our EJ25 is soooo slow... that's probably why Veeky Forums is mad.

Also, I bought a used tranny, and also bought the parts to repair out old tranny..

$50 bearing, $6 gasket, and $10 oil seal...

So now I have a spare tranny.

Canada, I'm assuming? Jelly of the STI.

Just bought an 18 WRX. Been working at Subaru for forever and finally have one. Couldn't be happier.

Onterrible.

Yeah, not 'Murica.

Have you seen the type of person that drives one of those? It should be obvious why

I'll trade you my V3 STI, 04 Impreza, and the Kei truck, and my testicles for that.Oh, and my wife too.

everyone who drives a subaru is a vaping dudebro because the internet tells me so

You literally are pure cancer. Please an hero.

bruh is she cute? I love this thing but thats tempting.

I went to Hypermeet.. literally saw 3 people out of like 700 cars that were vaping.

2 children came out of her C-Section, you figure it out.

>17525164
well. That could be great, as the orifice that I'm most interested in could theoretically be in tip-top shape. Or, that could mean that birthing and caring for two children has not been kind to the rest of her body, and I could be in for some sad times.

I'll let you keep her!

I do thoroughly enjoy your STi though.

I test-drove an early 2000s Forester once. It had no footroom and the overly-sensitive gas pedal was right up against the transmission tunnel. The steering was heavy yet vague. Only redeeming quality was the extremely forgiving clutch - I didn't stall once.

Hey uh...are your testicles still up for trade?

I technically have a Subaru.
Just finnished it's most recent modification, it's been given an Itasha/Livery.
Needed numbers for the track this season so figured why not.

She's a tough Swiss girl.

What are you offering? I already have 2 kids, and don't plan on having more.

Picture is before spending 10 hundred millenniums straightening fins.

Move the seat back?

Obviously something was wrong with the front end if it was heavy and vague, probably the rack was leaking and it needed tie rod ends.

Nice car. That is the only generation of WRX STI that does it for me. Prefer my Evo but that generation is definitely a more dramatic car to drive.

how much out the door, looks like base model

It's nice, you can drive it gently in town (Under 3k RPM) and then when you want to hoon, you just hit 3500+ RPM and it's a monster.

Turbo "lag" isn't a bad thing in this car.

Be a blobeye owner.

pretty much all of my female friends, relatives, co workers think it looks kind of weird a funny which I am guessong is the polite way of saying its fugly

are they really considered fugly? I always thought they looked cute

they just can't deal

Yeah I know what you mean from my old Subaru. The Evo comes on boost just after 3000rpm but it has a fit if you dip below 2100 or so. Don't get me wrong it's great but you couldn't drive down the road off boost if you tried.

3500+ is pretty good though. I've been in cars that don't wake up until almost 6000rpm.

Done much work to it?

Nice bumper swap.
V4 Type RA here. My rad started leaking last week and it drove me crazy because the small size of the leak made it hard to determine where it was coming from. I don't understand why all of these cars eventually leak from the driver side endtank. I suspect is has something to do with the expansion tank and turbo.

Not that guy, but doing anything to these cars is expensive because of the inability to tune it using the stock ECU. 276hp in a sub-1300kg car is still pretty good though.

No, previous owner had head gaskets and timing belt done recently (4k KM ago)

Yeah, it pulls fine from 1500-3000 in town... I can drive up relatively steep hills at 2000 RPM no problem.

At 3500 RPM the boost comes on so hard you better be paying attention, it goes from 3500-6000rpm so quick in 2nd and 3rd gear...

Can get you into trouble real fast.

It's been damaged by something... this car has had 5 owners now since it landed in Canada. And the body shows it.

The right side behind the bumper is caved in, I have to pull it out and straighten in, the headlight is missing some of the mounting plastic as well, headlights are damn near useless at night, nobody flashes when I run highbeams.

The right rear has been hit and repaired very poorly, neither tail light line up right and the trunk lid doesn't line up either.

I got this car cheap, traded a bike for it... NO RAGRETS.

Because they have no redeeming features. AWD is a meme and flat engines are inferior.

I'm that guy, it's been tuned to run on 91 Octane in Canada. At least that's what I've been told.

It doesn't ping at all on 91... the car was imported with ~80k km on it, and now has 124k km... the area the car came from doesn't have 93/94 Octane... so I'll try and believe him I guess.

Confirmed Evo owner with broken transfer case.

That sucks man - people need to take better care of these cars. I'm the first owner in Canada, but my car took some damage to the rear quarter panel.

He did a shitty job of painting over it and clear coating, so it's obvious, especially with a slightly misaligned rear bumper. I'm guessing he was negotiating a corner and hit a guard rail or something.

I have the same complaint about the boost. I have the higher gear ratio transmission too, so I really have to watch out for the boost in traffic. It's annoying having to upshift as soon as the boost comes on.

You're lucky. 94 octane is like $1.20/L here and I get maybe 400km per 50l tank.

>implying i'd own that hunk of shit

It's not THAT bad, it's just not super show car quality. No rust issues at least. Just a few dents.

87 is like $1.05/L here... I think 91 is $1.25 or something... I don't look, I just bend over.

i own one

If you combined my 2 cars I'd have yours. If I don't roll the rally car for a few years maybe i'll do the swap. Love those gold wheels I'll have to find a set here.

They're factory wheels, no big deal.

One is fucked.

>ej25 is sooo slow.
Lmao try ej18.

Still holds air? You're good. I have slammed into some harsh things in my time. It's a good thing reinforced sidewalls and thick beads are a thing.

>inability to tune it using the stock ECU
Odd. I didn't do much to my Subaru but you can change pretty much anything you want on a stock Evo ECU.

>400km per 50l tank
Could be worse man. I get 250-300km from 45L.

Was there much involved with getting the car onto an Ontario plate?

~115 HP vs ~150 HP... and your car weighs several hundred pounds less... meh... probably not significantly slower. GC chassis is much better than the 04 chassis IMO... But really I probably just need stiffer swaybars in the 04 to be happy with how it drives.

Yep, it's been balanced since that damage happened, doesn't cause any vibration either.

Bed time for me... I'll check back around 9am EST.

No, it's had 5 fucking owners in Ontario, and I'm the first one in an E-Test area, and I've already got it registered for Grey Market.

Also, you need to read about importing cars in Ontario, it's not that hard bud.

I want to look into modding my blobeye but don't really know much about modding

What should I start reading and learning about if whats most important to me is

>reliability
>handling
>comfort
>aesthetics, (looks and sound)

Like which parts/mods would relate to those things

Was more wondering about hoops since I'll probably have to get an Ontario plate next year. I've lived in places where it was a pain in the ass and others where it wasn't nearly as hard as officials made it sound.

Just hit 220k in my 03 foz. This has been an absolute tank. Only problems so far was the hill assist (5 speed) went out, locking the brakes on me at the grocery store. I just wish i had a bit more power, as she is sluggish up hills. Perfect camping and light offroad car for where i live. Just trying to find a nice manual XT to build up.

borla headers
catback exhaust
cold air
cobb tune and chip
Thats great for more power and is usually the go to mods most wrx people do.
You can get Foz suspension if you want a bit more ride height.

fucking getting nasioc and read up on any subject you would need to know.

Have you tried switching out the suspension on your 04?

Veeky Forums doesn't actually hate Subarus.

The only reason they like to rag on them is that the STI EJ is old as fuck, but it still dusts the RS (the favourite car of Veeky Forums) in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. Everyone says these metrics don't matter, but they are all anyone cares about here.

This causes them confusion and in turn, makes a small but vocal subsection of Veeky Forums very upset.

>reliability
Keep on top of fluid changes: oil, trans, coolant, diffs, etc. Simple to do all of these on a WRX. Change the air filter when it gets dirty.
>Handling
Get performance tires first. They will have the biggest effect. Then you can look into sway bars, struts, springs, etc...
>Comfort
This goes hand in hand with handling. If you lower the car and make it super stiff its gonna be shit for comfort. You're going to have to make compromises here.
>Aesthetics
Purely subjective. Get some nice lightweight wheels with your new high performance tires. That'll help your handling as well. I'm a rally guy so I'm a mud flap and roof scoop person...There's all kinds of shit you can do with these cars aesthetically. Got cash? Import a $4000 widebody kit from the UK! Sound - catback is easy. Want super duper sound while killing the environment? Get a catless downpipe as well and a tune! Most common power mod for these cars because its easy, cheap and opens up like 50hp. (stock downpipe before the cat is super restrictive). This makes you "stage 2".

Then start saving for a new trans because you bought sticky tires and tried clutch dropping an awd car at redline. Oh, and wheel bearings. (pic related)

I do, because they're plentiful as fuck in NZ and every nigger with one has a fart can on it, ESPECIALLY the automatics.

anyone else have problems with leaky throttlebody coolant hose?

Do you guys change your timing belt every 4 years and stuff regardless of milage?

Service schedule has it as the year 4 major service or 100k km whichever comes first.

my mechanic who is supposedly the go to guy for subarus in my town says to just do it every 100-125k km and to worry too much about the timeand that timing belts are very strong.
when I asked about water pumps he said not to worry about that as well. said for the most part they should last a very longtime. borderline a lifetime part. he was more concerned about the idlers which he changed alongside the belt.

he said the water pump thing was just an online meme that forum goers Push to try and get people to buy their aftermarket chink ones.

oh and are mitsuboshi timing belts any decent? it's what he used for my car along with koyo idlers

Mitsuboshi is good, as long as its not made in China (mine was made in Thailand), just like your mechanic said the belt rarely fails. Its easy to check every other oil change though, just remove the coolant expansion tank and 4 10mm bolts to take the timing belt cover off. As long as there's not fraying or cracking it'll last for a very long time.

My original belt looked almost brand new when I did the timing belt on my '05 WRX w/100k miles a few months ago, but the bearings on the idlers were a little noisy. It could've gone another 15-20k miles.

What usually happens is the tensioner fails (loses tension, belt skips teeth) or the idlers fail (bearings get noisy then seize, belt fails and breaks because a idler gets seized). Alternatively a water pump gets leaky/weepy (go with OEM or Aisin here, GMB pumps in the Gates kits are crap IMO, NPW might be okay too).

Anyone know if some guys have gotten the BRZ's FA20 to run on a standalone ECU yet?

new to this whole car thing but want to learn.

roughly Where abouts is the turbo located?

I know what a turbo looks like as a stand alone through Google images but can't seem to locate it in my car.

do I need to dig through to get to it or something or should I be able to just see it from the top

I have a blobeye if it matters

To the left of the inter cooler towards the back of the motor in your pic, it'll be hard to see because it's covered up by a metal heatshield

i had a feeling it was that thing but wasn't 100% sure

so it's just the metal thing down there you immediately see on the left of the intercooler. thanks man!

>4 cylinders

I own a Legacy 3.0R 6MT, I love it but it's too slow, especially when it comes to low end power. Really want to boost it, but it's expensive and I might as well just buy an STI for the cost.

I actually like those rims

It just needs stiffer swaybars.. The struts are less than 3 years / 100k km old.

I want to keep the car mostly stock... If I ever do a 6 SPD swap... I'm gonna do Frankenstein axles so I can keep stock brakes and wheels.

Are u from the hamilton area ive feel like i have seen or heard of your car

I am from Hamilton originally, but I live about an hour and a half north.

how do people unironically drive these outside of Japan. Like don't you die from the cringe?

oh and moar pic pls

I got a 2015 silver sti. There's a huge dent in the drive-side passenger door from some asshole who hit and run my car at a 99ranch parking lot. Its okay as a daily. I usually get 18mpg on the streets but 21mpg on the highway when I baby it. Only redline it once every month or 2.

I'm guessing you parked next to other idiots instead of keeping distance from everyone?

Any advice for someone looking to buy a Forester? I feel the non-turbocharged version of the newer models is a bit underpowered. Is it just me being a picky bitch or should I go for the premium trim?

2005 forester XT is what you want, get manual too

There was limited parking. Shit happens. I plan to get it fixed early august

My V3 STI gets almost 30mpg...

Just look on yelp for mobile dent repair, much cheaper than anywhere else. Any pictures of damage?

Going through insurance or just paying for it yourself?

%triforce

I rather replace the door than repair it. safety first. you can kind of see the damage in that image.

insurance. Total $1800. insurance covering 800.

Didn't notice HOLY FUCK that's bad! No cameras? Out 1k because of some reckless faggot

No cameras. Chinese supermarket. Probably done in by some old chinese lady in a lexus/bmw/mercedes.

>1800 bucks for a fucking door shell replacement
>part itself is only 600
Are you taking it to a bunch of jews to get repaired? In any case that fucking blows to have to drop 1k because some faggot couldn't be bothered to stick around. Invest in a dashcam. It isn't perfect but it helps.

been meaning to get a dash cam. Not my #1 priority with bills n stuff, but plan on getting one later on

Is it worth it? To properly help you out you'd have to set one up at every single window. Even then it might not catch enough with no movement

I have one, do all my own work, and love it. Everyone who hates on them hasn't actually owned one, they just parrot the same memes over and over.

Spark plugs are not hard. Yes, it's not like an I4, but still easier than transverse v6s.
Headgaskets are only an issue on 1995-2004 NA 2.5s, and it's been long enough that most have already been fixed already, including mine. You'd be stupid to buy one that hasn't been fixed already for over $1000 considering there's plenty of others that have been fixed. If they did it right with the OEM revised gasket, they'll never need it again.
Maintenance and small repairs are braindead easy, everything is right on top of the engine. New ones have the filter on top next to the oil cap, and mine is on the bottom with plenty of room around it.
The great thing is that they're built like Legos, just about everything bolts on to everything else with little to no modification. Especially my car, it's basically just a long wheelbase GC Impreza so everything bolts right in.

I highly recommend everyone drives a good example of one at some point. They're great cars, it handles superbly and it's just right for muh feels too. I've replaced pretty much everything rubber, so it's tight just like new. Shifter feels excellent, no vagueness like they get shat on for a lot, steering feel is great, and the throttle is incredibly responsive and predictable. Clutch is smooth and provides good feedback too.

I'm gonna drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then throw them back on and keep going.

So far I've not gotten anything out of mine except a lot of idiocy on the roads. If some aspie runs into you it helps you to be able to prove that you weren't breaking any laws.

But it's useless for parked car right?

>2005 forester XT is what you want
Not the same guy but why that specific forester?

Because it's the best looking, basically a lifted WRX

Depends on the cam you get and where it is. In my case it's just on the front next to the mirror and does have a parking mode, so if some faggot hits me parked and then gets in front of the car (that does happen) then I'll get a pic of their face at least.

Fuck...you get 30mpg out of it? How?!

He probably has GC coupe, very light

GC8... less emissions shit... 2700 lbs

My gf has an Impreza.
>CVT with paddle shifters
But it's still a pretty good car that gets good gas mileage despite being a peppy all wheel drive. It's no rally car but it's a decent daily.

CVT not even once.

I'd buy a regular Auto any day over current CVT tech that is impossible to repair...

what's the difference between all of these different automatics?

why are some worse than others

Honestly I had no idea about the whole vape culture thing associated with it. I bought it cause I was moving to an area that snowed, and Bunta had one. Now I keep getting waves and thumbs up from high school kids.

cvt is a single gear, not even a true auto.

Say 'allo to my lil frend

I love your car, user. Keep going man.

I got one

>1997 Legacy Outback 2.5 DOHC
>4th car I've owned
>Leaks oil
>slow
>I absolutely love it

I'd honestly buy another Subaru in a heartbeat, they're not that bad an after owning America cars that love to overheat, this thing is a cake walk

Love mine, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.