What are your guys thoughts on cracks on the sidewall of tires? Pic related is my front passenger tire...

What are your guys thoughts on cracks on the sidewall of tires? Pic related is my front passenger tire, I know the cracking isn't horribly bad but I'm sure it's from the shit weather here on the east coast and being in the sun a lot. I bought my car from a Lexus dealership last October, they said it came with brand new tires and I only put around 12k miles on the car so far (I do quite a bit of driving everyday for work) My other 3 tires don't have cracking which is odd. But yeah, you think this will need to be replaced soon or should I not worry too much about it?

Cracking is normal.

Thats just surface cracking on the thread. If you’re that paranoid just put the wheel on the rear

It's only bad if the cracking extends to the contact patch or if it's so dry rotted it will crumble if you pick at it

Ah I see, thanks for the info guys!

How old is the tire?

Well the dealership said they were new, so it's not even a year old yet.

>What are your guys thoughts on cracks on the sidewall of tires?
Arizona sun makes tires sunburned (brownish finish) and they start to develop a lot of microcracks on the sidewall in the 2nd year onwards. If your tires arrived with a brownish finish, then they might have been "new" tires in terms of having few miles on them, but their manufacture date is older. Some tire brands have a date of manufacturer stamped on them, so you can look for that.

You can help it from getting worse by using a gel-based tire shine like Meguiars Endurance, they have moisturizers in it.

>What are your guys thoughts on cracks on the sidewall of tires?
Cracks can also appear on the inside sidewall. Some used car dealers may rotate tires around to hide the cracks. See picture for reasons why you check the other side of a tire. As for the tire, it is a major name brand as you can see from its unique tread design. It's a major tire various people on Veeky Forums have bought before.

Just drive it until it blows, you pussy.

>tire shine helps your tires
Yeah, a coworker put tire shine on his car every week on his new car tires and the sidewalls started cracking after a year.
All tire manufacturers that aren't shit has some type of oil infused into their rubbers already.

>Just drive it until it blows, you pussy.
Make sure that happens on the freeway with traffic all around you. If there is a five car pileup, you will have to pay for all five cars being totaled. Hope you have enough insurance coverage for that especially if one is an expensive car like Tesla which can have $60,000 or more damage due to the way its unibody is made (basically you are placing the unibody in a tesla collision).

Depends on the tires I guess, I have a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As that are now a year and a half old that I apply the gel stuff on maybe once every two or three months after it wears off. Even in the Texas sun they aren't cracked at all.

>You can help it from getting worse by using a gel-based tire shine
Or it can make it worse because the solvents in the tire shine product leech out the protective chemicals the manufacturer put into the tire compound. The most obvious thing people have noticed is that putting alcohol on your skin and having it evaporate causes your skin to dry out. The solvent evaporates and pulls out the existing skin oil by forming aziotropes. The similar effect happens with tires as the tire shine product removes the protective chemicals. When the tire shine evaporates or washes off, it takes leeched molecules of protective chemicals with it.

This accelerates the aging of the rubber surface.

What tire brand uses that flashy tread?

nankang ns2r iirc

Says Toyo where it's cracked

It's cracked down to the belts. It needs replacement.

>How old is the tire?
Do tires have a lifespan even if they aren't used? I thought they could last 20 years as long as there is still tread on them.

Mine don't last long enough to crack.
I change tires more often than oil.
>Fuck, cord showing again.
>Tires ain't free, ya know.

Toyo T1R

10 years is or less is recommended, the shit dries out and the compounds will no longer grip as they should

>Tires more often than oil
Either way, you're doing it wrong.

Heat cycles are the killer short term, dry rot and UV damage long term.

If it's an overpowered 2WD I can see that. Even daily driving, 3500 miles on my OCI (manufacturer recommended for severe conditions) takes about 5 to 6 months and it's really easy to go through a set of rear tires real fast if you have a heavy right foot and leave the traction control off.

>dry rot
What does tire dry rot look like?

Lots of little cracks all around the tire

>Lots of little cracks all around the tire
Ahhh, that's what I have then. The tires are sunburned by the arizona sun. So the surface turned brownish and each tire has thousands of tiny shallow cracks. But the cracks are only visible if you get close and try to spread apart the surface between two fingers.

On a 210 degree fahrenheit day, the sun and that black asphalt must be cooking those black tires.

it mostly affects grip in the wet
the compound has lost all its squish

and if its really dry like
expect some de lamination and chunks of tire flying away

not sure what to make of this
but tires that are older than 5 years can have problems at motorway speed

>not sure what to make of this
My tire is simply in the very early stages of cracking. That's all. The tire is not all dried out like the one posted at . My tires are still able to "squish" because the moisturizers are still in the rubber deeper inside. It's only the outer surfaces that were dried out and cracking.

it should be a good tire if it holds out
some china tires are mostly nylon and little silicon
they don't even respond to vulcanisation

>a coworker put tire shine on his car every week on his new car tires and the sidewalls started cracking after a year.
I've always wondered what is in these tire shine products. It must be some sort of oil as all of them are oily. If all of them basically use the same oil, it would be cheaper to just buy a container of that oil.

Of if that oil was something like soybean oil, then might as well just pour a little bit into a cup and dab it on the tires.