The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

/xcg/ XCOM 2 Character Pool:
>docs.google.com/document/d/12XvY-C-RoQZUexxauBXcCsw1jElq-g8TaCNpLgG2atM/edit

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

List of compatible mods for Long War 2
>drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KYKP0J-c9vcksxLXBTUkFzdE0/view

XCOM2 modlist, updated a bunch of threads ago!
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

MEGA Mod Repository, now contains all of the mods in the modlist!
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Modlist Steam Collection - Contains 99% of the mods in the modlist:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756115171

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p):
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN
Piratez mod for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Tactical and Strategic Music:
>youtube.com/watch?v=IV8adjIlP-o
>youtube.com/watch?v=9om_Axeqwq0
>youtube.com/watch?v=sfXqKHaZwLs

Other urls found in this thread:

openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4595.0
youtu.be/41OI0jmifvI
youtu.be/3XDsmxPJYTY
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914485470
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pistols are useful

EXPANSION WHEN JAKE

On turn 8 I hear a door open. That's a big deal since it has been 7 turns of silence.
Checking the map, I even notice an open door. Bingo. I start moving my agents over towards the buildings, still trying to keep enough TUs in reserve for reactions.

Well I'll find out, but the mod author thinks it works. He's trying to update it by installments of content.
Mod Thread: openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4595.0

1.3 when?

Suddenly a lone man with wild eyes, in a white T-shirt, jeans, and with what looks like a very large sharp object (later examination identified the weapon as a billhook) charges towards my agents.
Agent Wale doesn't hesitate and sends two rounds of buckshot towards the attacker.
The second round puts him down. (I think you can faintly see it in my screenshot) Just like that, the investigation is over. One dead body and no answers. At least no one got hurt. I've got two other case lined up, so hopefully those are more successful.

Keep going.

Maybe you should be focused on capturing humans... instead of thinking everything is an alien about to get you... this is why no one takes XCOM seriously... it makes you think...

This PLS

As soon as Agents Wiles and Almeida return to base, it's a quick debrief, reviewing the new field equipment, and then they are back on a plane headed for San Diego. Realizing that I'll want to cover ground quickly, I've picked up another public transport and am building an additional hangar. Currently I am planning on fielding three two-man teams simultaneously.

While the death is unfortunate, it was definitely un-avoidable. But I do need to bring in suspects alive. At the same time, I can't tell my agents to risk their and their partners lives. I'll have to see if I can modify my tactics to yield better results, but the month is young.

The teams are always male and female, right? I want to Mulder and Scully my way through the game.

Newly recruited agents Heuvel and Ariunbold arrive at HQ while the other team is out. In the meantime I'm taking care of some hum drum base maintenance, and Agent Wils an Almeida are snoozing on their flight. Imagine my suprise when I get a report that traffic controllers and radar operators in Western Europe are report an Unidentified flying vehicle. If it lands I'll send a team to investigate, and to prep for this possibility, I pick up the All-Terrain mud ranger which can carry three and is a bit faster (less range though). Maybe an airline flight and some cross-country driving could reach a landed UFO in time, but I'm not sure.
While I track the UFO movements, my agents arrive at their second case.

Also, does anyone know what country that flag is for Agent Wale? Almeida is from Brasil

I don't think so, but I'll probably try to pair them up that way.

Anime was a mistake

FUCKING EXALT

Nigeria.

kek

Thanks

Are we allowed to talk about XCOM like games? I mean, besides the obviously associated games like Xenonauts and Phoenix Point.

Assuming we can, is Shock Tactics any good?

yeah but you maybe the only one here that got it

Once again it's cautious breaching and clearing. Mid-way through this, both agents have a brief chat, and Agent Wale agrees that they are going to have to take a bit more risk if the SIA is ever going to make any headway in its investigation. Wales swaps out his shotgun for a Beretta, which is small, accurate, and much less likely to instantly kill a suspect.
Fortunately for the agents, they spot their target this time before he's lurching at them with a billhook.
Time to stock and subdue the Exalt agent.

Both Agents position themselves on either side of the alley and wait in Ambush. When the suspect nears the corner, they both rush him, electric clubs in hands. Agent Almeida misses her first swing, but follows up with two quick blows that drop the man.
Case closed.
With an Exalt agent subdued and in cuffs, the Agents board a flight back to base.

In the spirit of campaign stories

Fifty Second Long Trailer:
youtu.be/41OI0jmifvI
Latest Op:
youtu.be/3XDsmxPJYTY

i like this shit keep it up

>when nobody likes your content
Ouch

Is it stale? Uninteresting? I've noticed the big missions get way more views.

Turns out I've made a mistake. The new all-terrain vehicle I picked up needs three pilots, and I only have two agents. I rush my agents aboard a flight instead to try and get to the landed UFO, but it's no use. The UFO picks up and packs it bags while my fresh rookie agents are in transit.
But just as the get back to base, ANOTHER UFO is spotted. Not wasting anytime, they immediately board a new plane once again, this time trying to get close to the UFO before it even lands. Our persistence pays off and the field agents pull their rental car up to an ACTUAL real UFO as the sun sets. The thing is completely metallic silver and and round, just like in the movies.
With Agents Hueva and Ariunbol arrived at the scene, some new music kicks in to commemorate the fact that we are dealing with extra-terrestrial life. Did I mention it is night? Just two rookie agents, the beautiful nights sky, and a UFO with who knows what inside...

No way dude, it's great. Keep going.

Fug yeh

Ep17 is about 1/3 edited for the alien base assault. Get hype for 28 dead ayys!

Well shit sorry if i didn't seem to find your stuff interesting i just don't want to start another YouTube series right now

Nah m80 I'm just really new at this and unsure it's going in the right direction

The pair of Agents scan the dark terrain around them. Their order are attempt to interact with the aliens peacefully, but they are also allowed to make a judgement call if lethal force is necessary. Capturing an alien isn't expected. Bringing back a corpse of alien origin, even if full of buck shot, is acceptable. Seems like nothing is out there, but there is now way to be sure. Agent Heuvel moves to find some cover behind her car.
But she never makes it. As soon as she moves, three bolts of energy fly out of the night sky directly towards both agents.
The first two bolts miss, but the third directly strikes Heuvel killing her instantly. There's a huge burning crater in her back which leaves no question as to whether she survived. Agent Aruinbold only hesitates for a second before making the correct decision, jumping back into the car and getting the hell out of there. He notes grimly to himself that the aliens are likely hostile.

As a sidenote. I guess that went about as well as I expected. I mean, I had to investigate to see if things were different, because we are investigating shit and wouldn't let something like a UFO in order to "play it safe," but also I was curious if there were changes that would make clearing a small UFO feasible with two operatives, or if I could get lucky and score a dead alien to drag back to base. But nope, aliens weren't having none of my shit.

No, no it wasn't.

Is there an equivalent of "smoking the ramp" that you could do?

Nope. I think that all-terrain vehicle I was talking about may have an interior. Hopefully it does, so that my agents stand a better chance.

With the UFO investigation (if you can call it that) done, it's time for some basic management. Both teams arrive back at HQ within hours of each other, though they have very different reports to file. Agent Ariunbol is pretty shaken up over the incident. In the mean time, fresh agents arrive at base. Agents Ebuka, Bouissou, and Fedorov are all informed of the recent incident and given the option to walk if they want to. They all decide to stay on.
For about a week it's quite.
However, on the 9th reports began filing in about new crop circles in Southern Africa. The two veteran field agents, Wile and Almeida, board a flight to investigate.

I forgot to mention that we finished interrogating the EXALT Agent. He was pretty low level, but we got some info out of him. The interrogation was easy, we just offered him a hit of cyclone. He was babbling everything he knew after 24 hours without anyone else even approaching him. He never got any of course, does it look like we are made of money?

Like that other user said a bunch of us watch, we just don't all comment.

Man, I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this mod for the future.

Can aliens in XCOM 2 open doors with a trooper behind them? As with the first game I don't think I've ever seen them operate doors instead of just running through them.

As the agents are in route, yet another UFO is spotted. Everyone agrees that on one will be sent to investigate though, at least not until something inspires confidence that things will go differently. In the mean, bot veteran agents arrive at their destination. Apparently this is a grab and bag op. I've got ten turns before local authorities turn up and arrest anyone on scene. I aggressively scout the farm before Agent Wales spots a lone farmer trying to hide.
Agent Wales and Almeida subdue the poor man and toss him on a flight back to HQ. Hopefully we learn something. Also, we found trace amounts of fuel in the field that we believe are alien in nature.

In a comical turn of irony, I bring the abducted farmer back to my base for further probing.

Side note: TIMERS, IN MY ORIGINAL X-COM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Also, I need take care of some stuff. Don't know when I'll be back, or if I will resume posting. Regardless, I feel like this gave a good taste of what this mod is selling.

Not bad.

>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914485470

Need more Appends.

Continue posting, it's fun.

What this user said, I'm really enjoying your posting about this mod

And it gives the gen some life other than "LW2 is shit"

The Andromedon and the MEC in the background make that pic even more Anime.

vanilla game is anime

A couple days pass without much to do but twiddle our thumbs. Then we start getting new reports. The reports come with pictures. The pictures are pretty damn ugly. Some wild animal has been tearing people up in the countryside of Germany. Some of the victims were even killed in their homes. Wale and Almeida are sent to investigate. Their orders are to first kill whatever has been preying on the people. Capture only if the situation is extremely under control. With this in mind, both agents grab a shotgun and holster their pistols.

This mod is what the Bureau should have been

You can mod the van doorn in march mod to whatever month you like! Thanks user who posted that.

The agents are driving their way out into the countryside. They exit the car to investigate and discover what appears to be a very large beetle. Approximately the size of a dog. The thing is aggressive, and not as slow as one would thing. Both agents open fire with their shotguns. The hard shell on the scarab tanks quite a few pellets, but the agents manage to put it down before it can get close. A quick clean investigation. The civilians in the area where herded off before they could see the corpse, and simply told it was a rabid animal.
It's easy to see how someone alone without a weapon might be able to be killed by this giant beetle, but for two trained agents, it wasn't an issue. The HQ strikes it up to government incompetence the beetle wasn't killed earlier.
We file some very complicated bio material transport papers and the two agents head back home with their trophy kill.

The two vets can't handle every case, and the organization is going to need more experienced agents as the cases flow in.
Agent Otgonbayr Arianbu and rookie agent Clara Bouissou are sent to investigate reports of unusual cattle mutilations in the European country-side.
It's another grab and bag mission, so the agents grab their clubs and tasers and get ready for some good old international kidnapping.
The Agents drive up to typical farm and get to work. In one of the fields, mutilated cattle are dots the ground. For some reason, no one has cleaned up the mess. Agent Arianbu takes the farm house while Boissou explores the fields.
When Arianbu opens the door, he nearly runs face first into a startled farmer still rubbing the sleep out his eyes. The farmer is tazed, then stuffed into the car. The agents head home.

Two days later, SIA receives reports of strange life form in two different parts of Asia. Wale and Almeida are sent north, while Ariunbol and Bouissou go straight east. Agents Wale and Almeida arrive at their destination first and begin to scout out the country side. It isn't long till they find what they are looking for. They have no idea what it is, but it's big. Bigger than a human, appears to be very strong, and looks like some sort of standing dog beast. The hostility of the creature is immediately apparent. Due to the distance and her superior aim, Agent Almeida draws her Beretta and fires three quick shots off at the beast. One of them hits, but only seems to make it angry. Agent Wale sets up off to the side, preparing to engage the beast with his shotgun. Shortly after the first shots are fired, the beast begins it's charge.
And it covers a lot of distance, very fast. The Agents hurriedly fire off three blast each from their shotguns, but the pellets don't slow the creature down. Deciding that judgement is the better part of valor, both agents high tale it before the animal can get acquainted with them. Reports of killings in the area stop, but if one looked closely, a string of mutilated and half-eaten bodies can be found in news reports roughly headed south. The agency does not know if they will be able to get a fix on the creature again.

Before Ariunbule and Boissou start their case, we finish some legal wrestling with the complicated business that is an international organization involved in sending their agents into sovereign nations. We can now get four agents and their equipment in and out of countries at will. This should make future investigations siginifcanlty safer with better outcomes. Time to start recruiting more agents.

But enough management. The Agents arrive on scene and are quickly greeted by yet another unique sight. It's some sort of gorilla, but it's features are all wrong and it's not shy. The team opens fire with their handguns. Boissou is using her standard issue 9mm Berreta, but Ariunbule is using a Colt .45, citing his need for "stopping power" and that 9mm can hardly stop an angry man," let alone whatever the field agents will have to tackle. Both tag the creature multiple times, but in the flurry of rounds, Boissou accidentally tags a civilain. Why this civilian decided to investigate the sound of multiple gunshots and some very loud animalistic howling is not a case the agency will attempt to solve. Fortunately, she only gets hit in the arm. Ariunbule puts down the creature with a .45 round that finds it's way into the armpit of the creature where it's hide is significantly weaker. The Agents give the civie brief medical attention, call an ambulance, then figure out the best way to ship what is essentially a bizarre 800 pound alien gorilla back to base.
Boissou breathes a sight of relief that things went smoothly considering his last encounter with an unknown species.

>Boissou breathes a sight of relief that things went smoothly considering his last encounter with an unknown species.
Meant Ariunblue, woops. Man these names are brutal.

On a side note, these unique missions all come with their own cool atmospheric music. Very nice touch.

I love the idea that XCOM basically starts out as this joke-y little Bureau that is just a sop to all the weird reports governments have been receiving, and then gets rapidly funded as it becomes clear that something is actually up.

Still not as Anime as it could be.

It will never be anime because Jake wont let us make cute and kawaii characters.

>sure, you can make the entire game different. What? You want custom faces too? Fuck out of here

T-thanks

Just a quick base management episode. We've had a week of quiet since the last investigation. In that time, we've bumped up our roster from 4 to 8 agents. We have two teams of four. Each team has two vets and two rookies. Each outfit is prepped with handguns, shotguns, tasers, clubs, plenty of ammo, and medical equipment. Are scientists are looking into some better protective gear, which the agents have requested after the variety of interesting but dangerous strange lifeforms we have run across. People don't talk much about what we will do if we ever come across the extra-terrestrial beings again. For now, most just hope we won't have to deal with them.
And now it's time to investigate more freaks. Lead Agents Almeida and Wale hit the road with junior agents Mona Islam and Rangi Puti in tow. Everyone is packing a pump shotgun, and a couple have some .45s for more long range power.

The squad rolls up in the desert with their fresh black van. Someone put markings on it though, which strikes me as a bit odd. With a squad of four, the agents are feeling much more confident. As we begin to scout the area, we spot a local who appears to be a desert nomad. He's armed, and the agents don't speak his language, but fortunately he does not feel threatened by my shotgun toting suits. A couple turns later, we spot the beast. As to what it is, no one is really sure. One before was a giant beetle, the other was a dog beast, the one past that a bizarre gorilla, but the agents are having trouble thinking of an earth equivalent for this things.
Its massive, and has a huge jaw, with only two legs and no other appendages. The jaw makes sense. The bodies that were found often were cleanly cut in half, and often times there was nothing left but blood stains and some guts.
Not interested in getting close, and definitely not considering stunning the creature, the team un-holsters their pistols and begin to fire. Fortunately, the creature does not seem very intelligent and is quite vexed by the bullets hitting it.
Several times the creature began to charge towards the squad, only to reverse course once it got stung a few too many times by a bullet.
After quite a bit of fire, the creature finally goes down. None of the agents are exactly sure who scored the killing blow, so they chalk it up as a squad shooting exercise and head home. The transportation this times is even more complicated and expensive then the gorilla they had to ship last time.

The increasing appearance of these never before seen creatures, and the fact that they are all atypically aggressive predators is certainly a worrying trend.

Testing Terror weapons in the run up to the invasion?

Who knows, but I look forward to finding out.

And as the month rolls to a close, everything is quiet. We finish de-briefing and examining the two farmers we picked up. Then we let them go. No one will believe them anyway. Apparently both were abducted by aliens. They were being coded with information, tagged for some reason. I suppose like researchers do with animal. Sharks and birds come to mind. We don't know exactly why or what information was contained in these codes. In the meantime, we put in a request to the UN for regular supplies of kevelar. In the mean-time, we make due with some new heavy, but still classy, coats. They provide good melee protection, which when you consider that so far everything we have gone up against had teeth, claws, mandibles, or cutting weapons, is actually a pretty good thing to have.
The Council is at least moderately impressed, which is enough for them to not pull funding, and even throw us a bone. With the month over, I get to assign agents for combat training. I couldn't figure out how to assign people before. Apparently the gym is following the training rules of the original game. I have since changed that option so that I can assign people whenever I want. The Agents could always use some more practice.

And that closes my first month with The X-Com Files. Pretty impressed I must say. The restraint show in these small cases that are almost mundane really tickles my fancy. I can just imagine my agents pulling up in their rental car, knocking some loon, farmer, or filling a bizarre monster with lead, and then throwing them in the trunk of their car and driving away. All the different atmospheric music helps to make the different investigations have a different mood and feel to them. Nothing broke the entire time. As an x-com vet, I was pretty easily able to figure out what I was doing, and adjust to the new circumstances. Most every change is very well-explained in game. Driving up to that UFO gave me a tense feeling I haven't felt in a while.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm gonna to stop here right now. Playing, then typing, then putting together screenshots is kinda tiring compared to just playing the game, but I still want to play the mod. Obviously I'll share any highlights if it strikes my fancy, but I'm done story-posting for now.

That's fair enough user. Thanks for what you did, do post any highlights you find particularly interest/good.

Storytime was fun, thanks for your contribution!

that just looks so dumb

This guy had a gun. Scary stuff.

post boipucci

>to fight monsters, we created monsters of our own

Just some casual night monster hunting...

...O SHIT, WTF IS THAT

Something like this would look better if you also used sweetfx or something alike to make the game appear more anime/cartoonic too. Would work with something like The Wolf Among Us characters more than anime I think

This thing took a serious beating. But, I get to capture it alive. two civies were killed while my sqaud tried to plink it down. This thing also shoots spikes from its back. We just got some newer heavier shotguns with slug rounds and a shipment of uzis, so hopefully we will be able to more aggressively engage these things. The researchers are calling it a spike boar.

Just realized that the mod author is doing a good job with his "monster of the week" missions.

so even after you kill a couple of these aliens the world still doesn't believe X-com?

It's just like the X-Files! Actually technically I haven't killed any aliens yet. Just weird science experiments/mutated animals. We'll see what they say once I bring in an actual alien.

oh raelly? that's interesting and once the regular alien invasion begins what will happen to the mod? will it progres normally?

I don't like customizing in XCOM2 but I like the customization that mods gave, I just want it to be automated where all my soldiers automatically pick compatible gear.

In the X-com universe, fake news started in the 1990s. ;)

Starting up a new playthrough of Enemy Within Long War. Any suggestions for which Long War settings I should take, if any?

friendly skies

I have no idea. All I know is that the alien invasion is supposed to officially being two years from now.

Commanders choice + not created equally

Not created equal is on by default

And normal or classic?

normal

They can't.

Note to self: stop playing in windowed mode

y

We stacking again tomorrow?

Yeah boy, hit me up

shit

It's ok man, you are our resident tf2 poster. Sick webm btw

thanks pal sure been getting back into xcom lately thinking about playing open xcomseeing as ive never played the ogs

>ive never played the ogs
Yeah I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. openxcom is like a remastered edition and the you have like 4 great overhauls to choose from. I also found that playing og x-com and new xcom made me appreciate them both more, but that may just be me.

Yeah. The color of the gun does not match at all.

In Vanilla EU/EW at what point should I be prioritizing captures? Because right now it feels like I need to just focus on surviving by rushing Tier 2.

Before mutons show up. After lasers.

Has Firaxis commented on this mod?

So Lasers>Arc Thrower>Carapace?

>has Firaxis commented on the mod they made

It's been years since I played EU, I don't remember the research priorities but I'm fairly sure you GET the arc thrower before lasers whatever you do. By prioritizing captures I meant actually putting effort into using it, which probably only becomes viable after lasers.

What does 14 MELD per can mean in Long War? Am I screwed?

No that's pretty standard. Max is 30. When it starts getting past twenty is when you should start getting concerned.