Let's talk about Uber (and other car hailing service). Anyone here an uber driver...

Let's talk about Uber (and other car hailing service). Anyone here an uber driver? What kind of car you're using and how's the pay?

the pay is less than minimum wage after you factor in insurance and wear and tear on the car.

You destroy your car, have to deal with trashy people sitting in your car, you have to do your own taxes, your insurance will disown you if they found out.

>and wear and tear on the car.
Don't they provide cars?

Should I put an Uber sticker on a motorcycle for lulz?

No

Uber is garbage. Working for them is a stupid idea.

How can some people make a living off uber? Is it even possible to make good money from uber?

only if you drive a prius or other high-mpg never-failing shitbox with insane insurance, then you can actually make a pretty penny

lol when Uber hit my city I wasn't aware of their policy and tried to apply with my Volvo 240. They laughed.

Fuck 'em

Malaysian here. Been driving grab (malaysian answer to uber) for couple of months now

Taxes here are low (in fact uber driver haven't been taxed. yet), insurance is also low and I'm using a relatively fuel-efficient car (a rebadged daihatsu small K-car)

I'm doing it more as a side gig but surprisingly I'm making a decent money out of it (around 2000 ringgit per month or about 500 usd). In fact, I could live off the 2000 ringgit and save practically all of my paycheck from my real job

I know a guy who quit his job and work as full time grab driver. He's making almost 8000 ringgit (or 2000 dollar), which is twice the salary from his old job.

Maybe 2000 dollar doesnt sound much but in malaysia, a fresh degree graduate is expected to make about 2200 ringgit. You could make three times that number by being a grab driver

The car must not be more than 5 years afaik.

Nobody wants to ride in that piece of shit.
While I wouldn't want to ride in an über more than 5 years old, I don't see how you can afford a car that new working for über.

No.
You pay them for the privilege of working as an unlicensed private hire vehicle, using your own car, and not covered by basic insurance.
All they do is operate the servers and write the app.

And they want to get rid of you and replace you with a robotic self-driving car as soon as they can. And you're helping them raise the money they need to do it.

>Don't they provide cars?
how do you think they're making money?

Internet companies are in general outsourcing outfits. All uber does is provide a guarantee to the rider and the driver they won't be fucked out of the cash, and for that the driver pays a comission.

But the failure of these models is that they don't work long term, the minute someone does Uber for more than a hour a day you are automatically paying to drive because you're using your own car, your own insurance at your own cost, plus the risk of your insurance not paying if you have an accident because you are in effect using your car for commercial services skirting the law, YOU are skirting the law not Uber, because it is your responsibilty as a commercial driver to know the laws and have proper insurance for your services, including business licenses in the cities you operate on, because you are not a uber driver, you are a Independent contractor for uber, and all the responsibilities of one fall upon you.

This is why uber is such a scammy shitty service for the people who choose to drive for them.

I demand pics of your fuel efficient ride user.

Also, save your money, save it in USDs because the crash is coming, this is a high point prepare for tomorrow.

Had a black uber driver last night. I live in an area where Uber has begun to implement that Tip feature so I exercised my white privilege and gave him the max tip. ($5). Felt good being so racist.

Just to add to user.
Look at the other side of the coin.
As a customer, you're hiring a driver that has had no background check, no vehicle inspection, no testing- no regulations of any type.
I'd rather hitch-hike....

>I don't see how you can afford a car that new working for über.
You don't, Uber is for people who are desperate and get suckered into depreciating their car & dignity for rent cash.
Uber were literally working w/ finance companies to get drivers into predatory loan contracts where they drivers got a car loan, and drove that new car was owned by uber until they paid it off completely through a % of fare deductions. It's take 5 years of fulltime driving drunks around to pay off the loan and end up with a clapped out hybrid sedan that has had 30 thousand asses in it.

My dad has been doing Uber for about a year as a side job to his assistant director position at a research company. Mostly after work and on weekends. Only worthwhile for him because he inevitably trades in his Korean CUVs every 2-3 years for a new one. Seems to not make shit. I think he's only stuck with it because he likes talking to people.

I considered it, but it's not worth the miles you put on your car if you intend to keep it indefinitely unless you're in SF.

From what I heard the only thing that is required is for the vehicle to be relatively new.

there is an inspection and background check I believe

What's the car culture like in Malaysia?

>have to be in debt 5 figures to make money on the side
Yeah, no, thanks.