/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is basically space-/gsg/ but we play along being under the guise of for being for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).

tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris
- (Future FAQ Pastebin goes here. If you want to contribute, reply to the OP with ideas or excerpts to use!)
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- D.I.C.E. Summit 2016 - Civilization 25th Anniversary Panel youtube.com/watch?v=h65FXaJHbhE
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/4A6wzveA
pastebin.com/sULxXGv9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>- (Future FAQ Pastebin goes here. If you want to contribute, reply to the OP with ideas or excerpts to use!)

pastebin.com/4A6wzveA

remember to report all spiderposting

is this what /cbg/ merged into?

Needs more "Don't fall for X meme" warnings.

Also remove the fuck spiders part. You're giving him the attention he wants.

And so are you

Can I just do a cede planet war demand, but bombard the planet until all the pops die?

>Needs more "Don't fall for X meme" warnings.
I cant think of any more.
>Also remove the fuck spiders part. You're giving him the attention he wants.
ok

Yes but that will take a fucking eternity.

I suppose in theory but it would take decades. Like even with full support the most I ever killed was 4 pops and that took like 8 years.

If you want everyone to hate you? Sure.
Any extra bombardment after the shields are down is treated as terror bombing.

Combined with that user said:
Good luck.

It's a pretty fresh planet with only 4 pops on it, so it seems doable.

>use all my trait picks and trait points during race creation
>i think trait picks only matter during race creation
>research techs and take ascendency to give myself more trait points
>the trait points are completely useless because i have no trait picks left
thats fucking retarded

>he doesn't know about genetic mastery

Well, would this work? I have my Core Worlds Population policy set to Citizens Only. I'm playing tall so all of my worlds are core worlds. If I conquer the planet, then set up a migration treaty with another empire, will the unhappy pops move away without me getting any dirty xenos?

I think so that might actually work.

Anybody got a download for 1.5.1 Stellaris?

pastebin.com/sULxXGv9

hows this lads

Should I make the Illwrath?

tpb

Still faster than displacement purge

HA

Am I doing the tall meme right now?

How big are science nexuses supposed to be anyway?

>30 years
never trust a bird

Why are birds such assholes?

Will the empire I have a migration treaty get mad, if I genetically modify their citizens?

>Manage to push back the unbidden to a single sector
>Build my fleet up to 120k with extra dimensional weaponry
>They have 150k above the wormhole, I assume I can take them on
>Enter the sector, the 3 fleets head toward me
>I'm actually doing more damage than they are doing to me
>My ships start firing off screen
>"What the fuck is it firin- oh"

No, they're your citizens now.

>have imperial cult
>queen is chosen one
Take this space fedora tippers.

Finnaly after 50 years of terror the source of doom has been shut down the fleet Last hope led by admiral Pablasch have driven them back with a fleet of 70k and had taken losses well into 200 corvettes over 70 cruisers and at least 20 BBs. While this has cost trillions of lives and at least 1million force power worth of unbidden remain the galaxy takes a sigh of realif that the worst is behind them now we rebuild. Dont worry it is doable just very hard and very long dont give up hope I lost 2/3rds of my empire and they were at my capitol before I started to turn the tide.

I thought I already got this event.
the fuck paradox

>Population of synths keep electing leaders with +10% food effect, different ones at that
>Synth leader forms "original species" preservation coalition, mad that I gave synths right
>Migrants from another empire mad that I have migration treaties with that same empire

Why is this game so fucking retarded

>Migrants from another empire mad that I have migration treaties with that same empire

Cubans that escaped to US hate Cuba, dumbass, it makes sense

Can't have too many fart aliens

So mods can fix it. Then paradox will pump out bad copies of what those mods did as dlc.

>migration treaties
>escaped

Has stellaris got any more fun then when it first launched?
I remember buying it but stopped playing it because it was boring due to nothing really happening early game
Do i gotta get all the dlc in order to make it playable?

>Has stellaris got any more fun then when it first launched?
No, it may have gotten worse

There's more stuff to do early game now. The problem is that all the cool shit they've been adding lately only becomes available when it's past the point of it being useful. Or it just takes way too long to build for the benefits.

>No, it may have gotten worse
How so?

Any reason as to why mods show up in my startup list but not actually in game?

pls just go and stay go

probably getting overwritten by something else

the dlc has certainly helped a lot, its worth coming back to try it out at least.

Don't pay for it though pirate that shit.

Early game is ok. Its always been ok, as thats the most polished part of the game.
Mid? And end game are where it still drags like fuck

>instead of conquering everything for the nth time I decide to try federationing it up
>successfully manage to ally all 3 of my neighbors
>
>uh
>
>they kind of expand over me and I'm left with 4 systems plus the shitty size 13 planets I won't even touch
>
>
>they get in a war with the inferior bad guy to the north and I'm not included
>they literally take THIRTY FUCKING YEARS TO FIGHT THAT WAR
>T H I R T Y
>during all that time I can't even federation it up
>after they're done, only one wants to be a member, but get like 6 associates
>what do associates even do
>
>
>everyone is kind of at peace and I have nowhere to expand
>my federation member niggered my cybrex homeworld before I could discover it but I can't even negotiate for it because diplomacy is barebones as fuck
>
>
>
>
>try to go to war with whatever random bad guy at the other end of the galaxy just so I have something to do
>federation member votes no
>
this is the worst possible gameplay experience

Ive had the unbidden spawn over 10 times already (save games) and 9/10 times they get killed by the ai.
I only had one time they really beat the galaxy and that was because i set habitable planets to .25

How big of a fleet do I need to beat the Unbidden?

Fun tier for playstyle is like this:
Best tier
>fanatic purifiers
good tier
>militaristic anything
meh tier
>Everything else not in this list
Shit tier
>pacifist
Wtf r u doing tier
>federation member

how long did you let them fuck

the puddle is a lot wider, not deeper

About 100k fleet power and ninja the portal

100k and a bit more , proton torpedoes , high end kinetics and meme arcs are good

One of my defensive pacts pissed off the local Fallen Empire.

Autocannons are NOT viable. Do not research them. Just use normal kinetics.

You need to research them for flak

You don't even need the mogration treaty. They'd count as refugees

I just beat them and I can say if you let them build up a bit and feel like a hero you would need at least 300k force power to fight them all in one ultra battle. I beat them with a ninja fleet using hit and run tactics for 30 years my ninja fleet hovered around 70k power all game. This is how it looked by the time it did the final blow.

Fuck, I guess stupid to research Jump Drives then, need to get the numbers up. Federations?

Didn't even research jump drives

>10k fleet
You gonna get raped, then raped again because that faggot won't surrender.

didn't they add a feature that cause ships to die during emergency ftl ? how many ships do you lose per jump like that

Just salvage it from militant isolationists.

Yeah, fuck defensive pacts. Better to just turn everyone around me into vassals.

I think every ship takes like a 10% hit or something, so how many you lose depends on how many are already rekt

Give me a human name for a perimeter Fortress-class station equipped with bombers and kinetic artillery meant for a Flower Fort System.

Only like 1 or 2 my admiral was a trickster which makes those less dangerous but even then I dont think I ever lost more then 5 in an emergecny jump ever.

What do you turn into Ring Worlds?
For me it's systems that don't give any fucking resource.

Too many holes in the treaty system.
>be empire with about 5 vassals
>one vassal is guaranteeing a small kingdom next to a big federation
>every 10 years the federation declares war on the small kingdom dragging me and the 5 vassals into a huge war
>the kingdom has closed borders to me so i cant actually fight in his territory

When I set habitable planets to .25 they spawned in the middel of an AE and got insta-killed

Pulsars. I would do black holes but for some reason you cant build one

Pulsars are such a weird choice for a ringworld.

>All that deadly as fuck radiation.

What does a covenant with the whisperer of the void do?

In 15 games I've had the Robutts once (and they were bugged and auto-purged themselves) the Prethoryan twice (and they were bugged both times and just sat there), two were on small maps where I won pre-crisis, and every other time was the Unbidden.
And out of those 10 Unbidden they have become threatening exactly twice, but neither of those times did they get to any more that maybe 5% of the galaxy territorially.

Crises are shit in general. AEs are much more dangerous.

Slaneesh.

They aren't awful these days. They aren't really good but they can be used if you want to mix up the look of your fleets a bit.

But yeah, this. Flak is love.

It looks pretty cool though, and radiation is good if you can collect it

Look at this clusterfuck of an empire.

>they also talked about an idea for changing the way Armor works, instead of it being a flat % reduction in damage, barring in mind any laser/plasma weapons, that it would instead work as an additional Health Bar, similar to how Shields work currently. Though retaining the option to damage hull directly via appropriate weapons
sooo
turn armor into literally shields

why?

Paradox is REALLY fucking bad at AI.

Had this happen to me with the entire fucking enemy fleet.
They warped into my spaceport and were beating on it for ages. It was hilarious.

Why does the AI love Distruptors so much anyways? Late game warfare is stupidly easy because most of their ships are only packing these stupid things.

>2302
>Tech rng hasn't given me battleships

Ayyyyy lmao

they are worse than cruisers and are just for ~arrpee~ and looks

Paradox has a habit of knowing there are problems with thier games they even know what they are. They just have no idea how to fix them. Sometimes they get lucky most times they dont. If it sheds more light keep in mind that they have some insane idea that people play thier games multiplayer only. Its why HoI4 shipped with essentially no AI AND STILL HAS NO AI. The next DLC for it is mainly centered on finnaly almost a year after realase giving the AI a major overhall.

>Had this happen to me with the entire fucking enemy fleet.
That's what just happened to me.

I was a little pissy since his fleet was over half my strength, I didn't really want to take any losses. Fortunately, I didn't. :^)

You get bonus resources, then your people get -Decadent (and want slaves) and + Consumer Goods demand (and use more minerals).

There isn't much downside if you are already autocratic/cast system.

Are you a xenophage, user?

Paradox cant design games or balance

eat
moth

>almost 2400
>haven't even built a single battleship

Armor as shields with a different set of weaknesses really isn't a bad idea. It would be way the hell more intuitive then the current system.

yes, xenos are yum yum

>building battleships ever

>armor reduces damage to Hull
>some weapons do extra damage to armor just like how some do extra damage to shields
>that's literally it
how is this in any way unintuitive or hard to grasp

I guess its easier to balance if you just make everything the same

I don't give a fuck. I like big ships and a cannot lie. I burn a stupid amount of resources forcing battleships to work despite every reason they are a bad choice.

It's not about multiplayer, they just botched or half-assed it.. Look at Civ 6 AI, it's even worse yet and that's even more SP centric. Confusing stuff to see AI get worse over time, I don't get why developers aren't using machine learning to make human-like AI yet

Its my first playthrough using wormholes so I sneak a few construction ships behind enemy lines and always have a spare fleet for destroying enemy infrastructure. Is asymmetry the only thing WHs are good for?

>Armor bonuses are not reflected in the ship design screen.
>Armor is hard capped
>There is no indication of having hard capped armor on the design screen
>Armor values are not linear

The AI will make designs over the armor cap, so the GAME ITSELF doesn't know how armor works.

>Yellow bar on top of HP that goes down first
>It resist some damage types better then others.
>Doesn't require energy
>Doesn't regenerate like shields

Not really the same.

>Is asymmetry the only thing WHs are good for?

WHs are unironically the worst for asymmetrical warfare user...