>Misc. translations
pastebin.com/pgEWmYfH

>Booru
smtg.booru.org/

>Recommended reading
pastebin.com/ByiXrDGX

Previous thread:

I love megaten!

Asking here because the persona general is cancer incarnate, but what do you think about playing through P5 without ever touching any of the social links?
I haven't started it yet but I keep hearing how broken a lot of them are and how easy the game gets, would playing on Hard and just ignoring social links make it more of a good challenge or just make the game awful to play?

What is persona and shin megami tensei and how are they connected

What are some SMT games where Luck is a really good stat

How the fuck do I beat Izanami in Final? After she uses Diarahan the first time she uses Concentrate, then Smile Charges and uses Megidolaon on the same turn. Then I run out of MP anyway because she uses that shitty curse move and hiroshi doesn't heal nearly enough to be useful

Playing on apocalypse difficulty btw

SLinks are really badly balanced in p5. If you don't use them the game gets tedious but if you use them the game becomes too easy after the 1st palace

Just use them, there's no reason not to and some of them are pretty cool

Hard is sometimes unfair. Confidants aren't as broken as they are made out to seem. You'd have to intentionally grind with confidant levels at are certain point, it doesn't happen by accident. Besides, social links are the point of a persona game.

If you really care about difficulty, download merciless mode.

P5 is about 1/3 dungeon crawling and 2/3 confidant/spending days.

You find it incredibly dull I think if you just focus on a small percentage of the game as a whole.

At any rate most of the confidant perks that break the game are optional.

I played the game on Hard and I didn't think there was any OP confidant aside from maybe Strength. There are two certain confidants that are great time savers but they're very much needed since the game loves to waste your time as much as possible and you have to worry about your social stats too.

What does /smtg/ think of the demon redesigns in Apocalypse

Strength and Hermit are the ones that are super broken, if you really want to make the game harder you can just ignore those two.
If you ignore SLinks period you will have almost nothing to do for 2/3 of the game and it will be really fucking boring

Sounds like a horrible idea.

And honestly, the game's difficulty is badly balanced, as most of the game heavily relies in doing All Out Attacks; and if you don't do that, you will be lucky if you survive past the enemy's round.

They're much better. Although I won't miss them if they never come back.

Koga Saburo, Minotaur, Mermaid are the only new designs I'm fond of.

They're okay but I hope they never use them again.

>Debilitate / Venomous Raga
>Luster Candy
>Magaon

>Minotaur
>Mermaid
That's some pretty superb taste you have there user.

hiroshi attacks = no diarahan

Krishna is after the Cosmic Egg right? Kinda don't want to put off the fight hat long. Also magaon's useless because she smile charges the same turn she uses megidaloan or dark grudge. I am running luster candy but megidolaon does ridiculous damage and cant even miss thanks to smirk, plus she has silent prayer.

Original or Remixed music for P2?

>All Out Attacks
By last third I had regular attacks do more damage, than all out attacks. That shit is ridiculous.
They kinda look too cartoony, I prefer the SMTIV ones. While I cede that all new designes are terribly cluttered, I really hope that SMTV will either retain them, or at the very least make new designs influenced by these. I'm sick and tired of seeing the same old ones reused again and again for over a decade.

P3P was my first megaten game and I dropped the social links because it sounded retarded, then I couldn't reach another level of that boring dungeon and I almost dropped megaten forever.

Only with SMT4 I started liking this franchise, then played all the PS2/DS/3DS games, minus Devil Survivor because it looks like a Persona game.

SMT x Edo period

SMT x Kazuki Takahashi

SMT x Okami

>remake a Garo design
>add tits, the rest is the fucking same

Doi is a hack without originality.

SMT x Post Civil-War America

No, use them. The only one I've maxed which I consider broken are Hermit and Strength, Strength especially since the requirements are so fucking easy for it and it grants you no level restriction on fusing so long as you have enough Yen. Although I do think maxing Strength makes the game way more fun.

Hard mode has been unfair at times but overall is pretty mediocre. At best it'll stop you from clearing dungeons in a single day if you're not good enough.

Lets settle this once and for all

Nocturne is not that good and has aged poorly.

Discuss.

So what stats do I level in DDS? I've been currently dumping everything into STR, at 50 now, and since HP doesn't grow with level ups I assume I'd need some VIT; AGI or Luck.

I agree.

Wrong.
Should've gone MAG instead since Magic defense is tied to it. VIT is fine too I guess.

>Not that good
It's good but overrated
>Aged poorly
Nah

I definitely like the cleaner look.

I think it's fine, I certainly wouldn't mind a remaster with some quality of life improvements but I'd have to actually think about what those should be.

It didn't age at all to be honest. The cellshading and sterile environments make it look great even today and the gameplay is just as solid as the day it came out.

Being able to choose skills when you fuse demons and maybe a full list of the skills each Magatama gives you but that's about it. IVbabies will also want to save everywhere but they're retarded. Nocturne has aged like fine wine, really.

>Nocturne
>overrated

Its rated exactly where it should be, its the best game in the series.

No discussion, you are wrong.

>IVbabies will also want to save everywhere but they're retarded.
I will never understand this. There's a save point before almost every boss besides the Amala Labryinth.

I like almost all the new demon designs, odin's redesign, medusa's redesign, and satan's redesign.

Everything else is all right but I wouldn't care much if they never return.

Honestly Doi seems to be a good successor to kaneko, kaneko has his fair share of shit designs as well

I don't want to be able to pick the skills when fusing stuff. It'd break a lot of the game and cause the same shit games like IV suffers from where things just stop being remotely challenging because every demon you have starts becoming way too versatile in what they can do.

Some of them are better, but they need to do another complete redesign if they bring them back.

But considering the new SMT has the new Odin design, I won't count on it.

>I don't want to be able to pick the skills when fusing stuff
Me neither but that shit is mandatory these days. I want to know how the fusion is gonna work on DEEP.

>kaneko has his fair share of shit designs as well
I'm not trying to bash you or anything but I am curious to know which ones you don't like.

I wish Doi could redesign Jack Frost and its recolors.

Heresy. It'd look roughly the same anyway, his design is that simple.

And everyone will always try to do the same thing in Nocturne, but you reroll for 30 minutes or until you get bored.

Just cut to the chase and let players fuse demons however they want like in 4:A, or don't let demons learn skills that contradict their design or lore like in P5 and PQ.

I know someone is gonna bash me for saying this, but the affinity system is the best way to balance free fusions.

4 wasn't challenging simply because bosses weren't very hard and enemies couldn't really fuck your shit up because they were too weak.

Final is a great example of how to do the 'pick any skill' system right, because you can't just shove any skill you want onto demons due to affinities and bosses (at least certain ones like sukuna-hikona, yhvh, or vishnu-flynn) actually have the firepower to destroy you regardless of how you build your demons

What went wrong?

Timeline wise Persona is chronological sequel to one of the Raidou games

As for the game themselves they are spiritual sequel of SMT If...

>And everyone will always try to do the same thing in Nocturne
Only because most people that are here know what everything is and does by now, no matter if they played the game or not. When I originally played it I had no idea that Daisoujou was broken or that Kurama had the strongest single target magic nuke. If you want to reroll for half an hour until you get the skillset you want then that's on you, not the game. The game encourages you to swap demons out regularly and not just fuse a Daisoujou with 10/10 skillset and keep it for 90% of the game.

Honestly I almost wish we'd go back to set skillsets. Maybe have 1 or 2 skills you can inherit at most.

My problem with the affinity system is that it was nowhere near severe enough and straight up did not matter for a lot of skill types. If they increased the cost for off-affinity skills further or just straight up locked you from inheriting things that the demon doesn't have an affinity for then maybe.

Agathion, Valkyrie, Azazel, Seraph, Aramisaki, Ouroboros, off the top of my head from more recent games. DDS also has all my favorite Kaneko art and my least favorite, Indrajit or whatever his name was I think being the biggest offender. Been a while since I can remember artwork done for older games than that but i do dislike the old archangels a lot

The slinks story's themselves for the most part are really good and regarded as the best.

Mainly becuase otherthen your teammates and the local school shooter who is moon ofc, every other Slink are with adults. Who knew that persona would improve if you slowly take away highschool bullshit and add in SMT shit on it?

Set it to hard I fucked up first playthrough and played it on normal. I liked it alot but hated P3 and P4 for different reasons.

>Atlus creates a a fully fledged HD ps4 remake for SMT1 and proceeds to use the assets to help make remakes for SMT2. if, and Devil Summoner

How excited would you be?

played it for the first time last year and it aged well. i didn't find anything about it's mechanics to be dated or annoying.

>demon has 150 SP
>good debuff skill costs 40 or 60 SP because demon has a negative affinity
>in battle you will have to chose between making that demon cast that one skill two times to then turn it useless, or let it fight through the whole match with the skills it specializes in

It feels good enough.
And it applies to damage skills as well, since they do less damage and you will only cast them to get an extra turn.
Maybe they could make the cost numbers grow depending on their level, but the free fusions and affinities are just plain better than randomized skills.

To be fair, they were redraws of pure shit. Doi made em salvagable and decent so props to him. His OG stuff is great though. Krishna, Mephitos, Odin and I also liked his redraws of the SMT protags alot. Kaneko > Doi > Soijma > Yasuda

That sounds cool but they'll fuck it up somehow.

Alignments are now replaced by slinks with each representatives?

Yeah I'd say they're pretty poor although I do like Azazel's and Seraph's personally. You're right about Indrajit.

>Understand why the girl next door is fucking a lawfag
>learn how based Ozawa was showing a world of STR to chaosfags
>waifu Lilith and reverse link
I'll buy it

Is his freaky little arm ever explained in the game?

Yes, but it's a spoiler.

Yes, right at the very end of the Neutral Route and the Law Route.

Replayed it some months ago and thought it was fine. I do agree that it isn't all that good though.

As long as Yasuda does all the art, extremely.

So we've all come to terms with the fact that Persona 5 is the best SMT game ever made correct? How are you coping?

that's where dagda was sealed in vanilla IV

Persona 5 is an excellent game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Maybe SMT shouldn't have been retarded and stayed on a shitty handheld for 15 years and thinking it's okay to put in a mediocre effort because your core fanbase will buy whatever trash you try to feed them

Unironically yes.

I find it pretty funny that in 4 there's a quest mandatory to Neutral Route that requires you to get dagda's cauldron, and then Apoc came out and dagda still doesn't have his cauldron

probably why he's so pissed off in the game

I don't understand how IV and IV:A just have that disgusting flaw away from being the best SMT games

>New Raidou Kuzunoha game
>Developed by Platinum

Would you get it /smtg/?

>Platinum
Eh. They didn't butcher Automata so maybe?

>Raidou x DMC game

Would you get it?

>They didn't butcher Automata so maybe?

Uhh they pretty much did though?

I wanna try one of the older titles. Think I should go for Kyuuyaku or SMT first?

The radiou games are generally simple but it feels like they can have a fun battle system simular towards automata but instead of having pod you can switch the demons you obtained with different spells they have.

It could've been so much worse but it turned out fine.
The pod was so underwhelming in Automata, OG Nier had the superior spells.

I haven't played Kyukakku and should probably get around to it. SMT I is definitely worth it though if you can stomach how much its aged.

I say SMT 1 then 2 then KMT
Lots of refrences to the first 2 SMT but none of KMT in newer SMT. Just started to replay Nocturne on hard and the amala battle sounds alot like SMT 1 battle music.

Also KMT 1 is pure dungeon crawling I like it but I got lost and forgot where to go. Ill look up a guide on what to do after Nocturne on hard. They are a bit slow but with emulation just fast forward when you think the game is to slow for you

Thanks.

I'll go with SMT then. Think I will try it out with the map hack. But I'm not sure yet.

I guess they didn't "butcher" it but Automata easily had the potential to be so much better as a game. Platinum at the very least usually has great boss fights and Automata's were all pretty much legit trash save for like 1 or 2 that were okay. Everything else about the combat was just painfully mediocre. I guess I was expecting that Automata was going to be much more than just barely better than the first Nier.

>just barely better than the first Nier.
That's all I wanted it to be.

It's really a shame the bosses overall sucked so much. The only really good boss is the opera one, the rest range from mediocre to palate swaps of mediocre. It's not really Platinum's fault they had to work with pennies though, blame SE if anything. I think it's pretty amazing that Taro and they managed to develop a game like Automata when they probably had less money to play with total than went into a single one of XV's trailers.

You should try out the map hack. It'll help exploration a lot since opening the map can be an absolute pain at times.

I meant just gameplay-wise.

Honestly I found Automata to be a downgrade in a lot of other areas compared to Nier. The main cast especially. Thankfully at least the side-quests weren't tedious bullshit this time around as once again some of the best character interactions are in them.

I still really enjoyed the game and its my favorite of the big releases this year so far despite its flaws.

Ending E made me cry like a bitch

>being this contrarian

wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg

/cm?

I'm playing through SMT 1 ps1 version right now and its pretty easy is SMT 1 the easiest or something? I'm new to the series and decided to try out the mainline games instead of persona also what can I expect from SMT 2 - 4?

1 and 2 are auto-attack games

Why? Seriously, why? Is the jump in quality from P4 so shocking that people are blinded as fuck because of it? While I'm enjoying P5, I still think it's overall very slow and formulaic, constantly attached to a shitty calendar system. I honestly don't understand this level of praise. I liked IV:A tons more despite the garbage writing.

>Taking a Shintoist seriously
Yea P5 is actually a good game unlike P3 and P4 but even though its half VN I liekd it more then SMTIV:A becuase SMTIV:A pissed me off. The friends of IV:A are some how more moeblod/tropy then those in P5

I admit my post was a bit hyperbolic, but do you really think that Automata's combat was anything but underwhelming?

But P3 is better than P5

Compared to fucking what

>>>>/pg/
>No negoations
>Shit combat
>cant control party members
>tartures
>Other then like 3 Slinks they are all either meh or awful
Please

Why does it have to be compared to something?

The bosses were mostly terrible, the combat balancing was a joke (mainly because of dodge spam being so powerful) enemy variety was trash, and the enemies in general were not nearly aggressive enough. (this was especially apparent in the shootemup sections which got stale very fucking quick) Difficulty balancing was an absolute joke. You literally could not die in normal mode because enemies did so little damage and you could pause the game and heal back up to full health whenever you wanted. In hard mode you died in 1-2 hits right off the bat. There was no middle ground where the game could be fun, but challenging. It was either braindead easy or lmao you die in 1-2 hits. You also play as a character for about half of the game who is just a gimped version of the other characters you play as if you ignore the hacking minigame, which was also shit and added nothing to the gameplay.

Because you called the gameplay underwhelming

Compared to what