What are some of the most OPEN engines? Open meaning freedom of mods, tweaks, tunes...

What are some of the most OPEN engines? Open meaning freedom of mods, tweaks, tunes. Freedom of parts not being special snowflake $100 gaskets, etc. Not requiring a $1000 aftermarket ecu to tune because the stock ecu is locked to hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uiEk_sE4Yzs
youtube.com/watch?v=hgsjzTOm4EE
norotors.com/index.php?topic=3618.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vw type 1
expensive for such a thing but you can go crazy
youtube.com/watch?v=uiEk_sE4Yzs

Briggs 5hp lawnmower engine.

Literally the B and K series Honda engines, more so the B series

here are just some of the aftermarket heads for it

youtube.com/watch?v=hgsjzTOm4EE

Mazda BP (BP-ZE)..

Cheap, available in many cars (yes, miat included). Everything is easily-accessible and bolt/nut sizes are consistent.

>Just being biased.

Nissan SR, CA, RB engines

>toyota
You start.

Like is this really even a question? Sbc/bbc/ls family without a shadow of a doubt.
>Ignore turbocancer watermark I got it on Google

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, I litterally mastered the art of small engine within 2 weeks.

This
You can literally do anything to Honda motors. It's a shame most of the honda owners are beaners/ricers

>SR
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Open meaning freedom
Stallman approves.

I'd like to interject for just a moment...

Wish I had a DC2, so I could get the B18C built and make it output 220-230hp at 9k rpm

Great engines

Volvo B18 / B230

Duratec 2.3

Zetec 2.0 is ok too but much less responsive to mods without a turbo.

made 450 on my stock 1jz. Only thing I did was headgasket, studs, larger turbo, some injectors/other supporting mods and a piggyback ecu. You can get well over 300hp on the stock ECU but if you really want to get some power you gotta go piggyback or aftermarket standalone.

how about the first zetec(Zeta)?
it's a solid but simple engine.

Came here to post this.

pretty good suggestion
Chebby Small Block (if you are in the us)
12a, 13b, i mean if you have a dremel.. you can modify it.

forgot the saab b204 and b234. just add bigger and bigger turbo and exhaust, the ECU is open source so anybody can tune it.

Toyota 22RE.

probably sbcs
stuff like the vw have premium prices on parts in america

The Chrysler LA small blocks have a very sizeable aftermarket and are very responsive to modding. You can go mild with a 318 or wild with a 360.

There are 360 strokers out to over 400CID pushing huge numbers for an old pushrod block and can be bought for basically nothing.

Any LS/LT engine. Bald Eagle Machines

Honda ZC Top Mount

Fucking hell youre retarded
The 22r(e) is the least modifiable engine performance wise out of pretty much any engine I can think of.
And I have rebuilt mine with 20 over pistons, Weber carb and a cam

Stay the fuck out of Veeky Forums

Fuck you dude I do what I want

Would you do ever board a favor and successfully drive yourself off a cliff next time?

Stay BTFO

>ripping off our Lord and Savior
Shame on you dogfucker

Stay mad

Small block Chevy, above and beyond, one thousand times.
Honorable mentions:
VW type 1 as stated in first post
Honda B
Ford modular
Big block Chevy
Small block Ford

P.s. if you're an American that has never built a small block Chevy from the block up you're not a man

LS series V8
>same engine mounts for sixty years
>pushrods
>can borrow parts from older engines, or build old blocks with new parts
>can still buy one out of a crate undressed and decide whether you want EFI or Carbs
can order every single part out of the engine from the parts catalogue of many aftermarket brands
>turbo, super, nitro, whatever you want, someone else has already done it before you
>crazy fuckers in the '50s used to run two engines sometimes and you can probably still do something as stupid as that if you felt the desire

Alternatively anything on a carbureted motorcycle. Any engine. It's right there in front of you and you can get to all the parts. And you can work on it in a parking spot.

FUCKING THIS
Nothing matches the LS as a modding platform. Not even Honda's K-series.

The sky isn't even the limit for the LS.

>stock

>LS engine
>sixty years old

what?

Stock bottom and top end

not him, but you can't read

>LS series have had the same engine mount for sixty years

again, the LS series isn't sixty years old

About time a thread started with a great question.
It's been said but my money is on the Chevy small block. You can find them everywhere and the aftermarket is massive. But,can't wait to hear other suggestions.
If only a certain poster would tell us what engine is most chicken friendly...

>having the same engine mount (literally just pieces of metal with holes in them) is the same as saying it's 60 years old

are anime posters this retarded

The 1st generation small block chevy engine has the most aftermarket support of any automobile engine ever made.

>it's saying the engine is 60 years old

yes, because the LS engine and the small block chevy do not have the same engine mounts, and the engine mounts are not "a piece of metal with holes in them" you dumb fucking sperg

norotors.com/index.php?topic=3618.0

sure is fucking summer in here

>claiming i said any of this
again, anime posters in charge of reading

>implying I give a shit about what you said

the original poster I quotes claimed that the LS has had the same engine mounts for sixty years, and that is wrong because the LS isn't 60 years old and because the old sbc do not have the same engine mounts as the LS

next time be sure to know a thing or two about engines before posting, sperg

Chebby Small Block has an aftermarket that goes on and on and on. And the parts for it are dirt cheap.