Byzantine Empire

Discuss the sucessors of Rome here. I was always fascinated by the history and culture of Eastern Rome and Emperor Justinian was one of my favorite historical heroes growing up.

Tell me more about Byzantium and its legacy.

>the sucessors of Rome
What do you wanna know about them?

You...

You are DEDICATED in your trolling and shitposting....

I like that, here's your (you).

How much longer until we reclaim Constantinople once and for all?

>holy christian and muslim city of constantinople
You forgot Jewish.

I think that introduction of the theme system, the primacy of the Greek language, and the loss of Syria and Egypt, the following economic collapse, under Heraclius, marks the "break" between the Roman empire of antiquity and Greco-Romania of the middle ages.

Justinian was a fucking pussy ass faggot

Pic related, a true alpha emperor

Even as a Bulgarian, I can still find it in myself to respect Basil the Second. One of the greatest imperators of the ERE.

>the sucessors of Rome
plebs need to leave. The Byzantines were Rome.

The Russians or the HRE are possible successors to Rome. The T*rks destroyed Constantinople and had little to nothing to do with Roman civilization other than maybe using a title or two.

The funny thing is that after Basil's conquest, he gave special priviledges to the Bulgarians in order to turn them into Roman citizens but other dumbass emperors later on revoked them, which is why Bulgarians rebelled against them.

Exactly, Basil was as wise as he was ruthless. He never actually wanted the be called the 'Bulgarslayer'. He insisted that all the emperors after him should be careful with the bulgarians, to no undo what he spent his life to accomplish(of course they chimped out). Our guy, Kaloyan the Romanslayer, actually paid the latins back for Basil.

Rome is a rich fat corrupt man and his "successors" are his various ex-wives clawing each other for inheritance

>Justinian was a fucking pussy ass faggot

Tell that to his conquests and near restoration of the Roman Empire.

>I'll disband over half the army and drastically spread thin what forces I have while not paying them or supporting my commanders properly
>I'll allow my heretical wife to fuck up my religious plans and the future stability of the empire's Levantine and Egyptian provinces because I'm a cuckold

Justinian let go 210,000 limitanei in order to raise a force of 140,000 comitatenses, which he then didn't pay on a regular basis. He knew the Scholae Palatinae had become little more than a force of parade troops and yet did nothing. He actually raised supernumerary scholae by selling appointments, then announced they were to be deployed because he knew they'd shit themselves.

The Byzantine Empire is extremely fascinating for me. The fact that they managed to retain the complex administrative structure passed on by the classical Romans in an age where most people reverted to primitive feudal arrangements; the fact that the Byzantines could actually have a standing army, and that their population was known for its (relatively) high literacy rates and standards of living.

But Justinian is a terrible Emperor: Basil the Bulgar-Slayer or John 'the Beautiful' Comnenus were much better.

All of 'his' conquests were actually the work of Narses and Belisarius, not Justinian... They did all the work for him. He just happened to get lucky that two capable men were able to come together and work for him.

Secondly, Justinian's delusional attempt at capturing all that former Roman territory emptied the Imperial coffers and exhausted the military reserves, spreading the Empire too thin instead of consolidating the territory the Byzantines had a firm grip on, ensuring all of Justinian's "conquests" would be lost to Muslims and barbarians in just a few decades.

Byzantium was one of the last black empires of Europe and was descended from Rome which had been destroyed by albino barbarians.

In 1453 it was taken over by the Turks ending the last black civilization outside Africa.

The Turks are in no way the successor to Rome. They are unwashed barbarians that follow the slave religion of Islam.

I've seen some leaf post shit like this before. Where are you people getting this crap from

I get most of my information from www.realhistoryww.com

It's far superior to the biased Albino sources.

True that my brother, I myself am a true Melanoid greek from Isaurius, just like Saint Nicholas.

Fun fact the first romans was ruled by kings who was black. Tarquinius superbus the last black king of rome was overthrown by the whiteys who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great black general overthrew the whiteys and exterminated them in the social war. Now blacks was running rome again and a whitey wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the whiteys eventually killed or sent the black romans to africa. Julius caesar was black

So OP, you listen to Robin Pierson's History of Byzantium Podcast, right? You're not a historical pleb, right user?

You're Turkish user

Turk here. Roman and Byzantine blood runs through my veins.

That little endeavor of his is probably the reason the Muslims conquered North Africa and the Levant with relative ease.

Byzantines were weak beta shits that deserved to get wrekt

What did Byzantine Egypt look like? As in what was the culture like in Alexandria before 641?

justianian always does really badly in Civ lol

>I was always fascinated by the history and culture of Eastern Rome and Emperor Justinian was one of my favorite historical heroes growing up.

>needs to ask about Byzantium and its legacy

Evidently you weren't such a fan otherwise you would have either known this stuff already having researched it or would be reading books on it now instead of making another shitty thread about something which has been shitposted to death on Veeky Forums since its inception.

Thoroughly Hellenic. It was already a Greek kingdom for hundreds of years under the Ptolemies and their successors, prior to the Roman regime.