What do you think of this car? Do you like or dislike it?

They're ungodly slow and they're total death traps. However, you probably ly can't find a cheaper and easier car to work on

I'm gay

Still faster than a BRZ

You are dumb.

Trolling aside, someone should swap a BRZ boxer 4 into a VW and get rid of that old boxer 4

I will helicopter my balls around my own shaft so quickly that you won't be able to blink the cum from your eyes

Rear engine, Rear wheel drive is how God intended cars to be made. Minimal drivetrain loss and the power is sent to the correct wheels. This could've been the ultimate Deutches Reich car if it also used a Wankel engine.

Why do you think this?

My friend had one. Slow doesn't even begin to describe the, like you floor it and it won't get up to highway speed, it kinda tops out at 90-ish kmh. I dont know if you've ever driven an e-bike but it's like that.

On the plus side you can fix absolutely anything in the car yourself with an adjustable wrench and philips head screwdriver.

We had one that my wife drove. They're cool/fun looking little iconic nazi cars, but I didn't care for actually driving or riding in it because of the small interior. Fit well for my smaller wife though and very easy to work on. Ultimately it's lack of power, air conditioning, and space lead to her getting something newer. Will probably get her another one day for fun cruising.

Op here. Forgot to mention that I'll be taking a train ride tomorrow to go look for one I saw on craigslist. It had a ton of mechanical work done on it a few moths ago, and looks like it's in great shape on the interior too. The asking price was ~5k. Do you think I'm making the right choice?

What year? Also how rusty?

1974 Super Beetle. In the pictures on craigslist I didn't seen any rust, but I'll check it out when I go. I doubt it will have a lot because the owner put a lot of work into it not too long ago.

Once the novelty wears off you'll hate it. Like it's a conversation starter and looks cool but it's very slow, no AC, not very comfortable, heat barely works, mileage is still not as good as modern cars, and you will never be taken seriously in it.

Because they aren't cheap anymore. The 50's and 60's one can be quite expensive.

Wrong.

Check for rust below the crescent vents, under the battery (under backseat), along the heater channels (along both side edges under the car), and on the floor in general. As long as there's no major rust chunks falling off or holes you should be ok. The crescent vent area rust is a cunt because there's difficult to access foam in the rear quarter panel and c-pillar which will soak up water and make more rust. That's the issue with late model beetles.

with the right engine mods...

>putting in the wrong rotary engine
>not putting in the wankel rotary for maximum anti-semitism

kek

Hey OP, Beetles are fun to drive, but like the others said, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere. Pic related, my '71 Super.

They built like 8 gajillion over a long time, theres always cheap ones available.

Those are called Radials, not rotaries though.

Unsalvageable ones. Even rusted examples are over 2k

I was driven in one once when I was a kid. I just remember it was comfortable seat and Ok'ish view. But it was loud.

I would still buy one.

Get a corvair instead. You will acutally be able to go the speed limit.

best fucking car ever
i bought a 69 as my first car and still have it as a project car today
super fun to drive on back roads
even better on ice or snow
it is indeed a death trap tho

CUTE
U
T
E

Ah, close enough. Rotaries are called that because the engine itself spins, I doubt that engine would spin there.

It depends on the kind of beetle you have.

I was gonna comment saying "well the Corvair has a proper trunk and accessing the engine should be just as simple as a front mounted one," then I saw this. Jesus, you'd figure RR would be the best layout if done like the Corvair, but I guess not. RR is flawed by design, while the effectively backwards FF isn't.

The thing about RR is the underside of the engine is far easier to access than on an FR or more so an FF car. Just slide under, unless you're fat or inflexible.

I don't like that particular model but earlier ones with the original shape and proportions are fine in my book

There's dozens of beetles and old buses with Porsche flat six engines, both modern and contemporary. You'd have to be an idiot to put in a Subaru engine, then again, there's conversion kits on the market for that as well.

PORSCHE
O
R
S
C
H
E