Do dealers have a future or is it only some old passed laws keeping them in business?

Do dealers have a future or is it only some old passed laws keeping them in business?

For example, I could see Amazon one day lobbying against the current law preventing auto manufacturers from selling the car directly to the customer without any middleman one day once Amazon wants to tap into the car market after they finish absorbing the food market like what they did with Whole Foods.

This is because Amazon likes control and car dealers means there would be inconsistency in customer satisfaction much less pricing.

I could also see Amazon lobbying against car import bans.

However, these are just imaginary scenarios involving Amazon. I just feel like car dealers shouldn't have to be protected by laws. If an industry deserves to naturally become outdated and go extinct, then they should be allowed to go extinct. Survival of the fittest.

After all, for example, the milk man has disappeared from American society. You don't have a milk man delivering glass bottles of milk no longer. We didn't pass any laws for milkmans to keep their jobs once refrigeration become mainstream to the comman man.

The laws against buying cars directly from dealerships are some of the most offensive, anti-free-market pieces of communist laws that still exist in America. Your flaw in logic, however, is that they exist on a state level, not federal. This makes it at least 200% more expensive for Amazon to lobby against these laws, and 50% less likely to succeed. State governments depend on taxes, and car dealerships are a HUGE chunk of those taxes. Not only do they get to collect state sales tax, they get to collect emissions, emissions tax, exchange taxes at every point of sale in auto shops, tax on registration, title and insurance for EVERY SINGLE CAR, property taxes, utility taxes, taxes on gas to fill the cars, taxes on the salaries and benefits of the employees, taxes on the manufacturers when the vehicles are transferred to the dealerships, service taxes on the cost of having the cars shipped to the dealerships, import tariffs on foreign cars, taxes on (government mandated) warranties, taxes on hiring (government mandated) safety technicians. That's just off the top of my head.

When the bulk of all that tax revenue goes directly to enhancing the power of the government that is in charge of changing the laws mandating the existence of car dealerships, do you REALLY think they would ever be interested in effectively making them obsolete? The only way a private entity could successfully lobby for the repeal of these draconian laws would be to calculate the total amount of revenue the local government gets from dealerships and straight up give them that amount, plus interest.

The dealership industry is so fucking jewish. And both the state and federal government get in on it. I don't know how it could ever change.

I don't understand the dealership hate. Dealerships are the only way we are able to negotiate prices and get cars under MSRP 100% of the time. Because dealerships sell used cars and have auto shops which the sales from those allow the dealerships take loses on the new cars. Putting car brands directly in control of the new car dealers will also put them in control of the used car market more.

The idea is if you have more places other than dealerships that sell cars, it gives more power to the consumers. I think?

most dealerships sell cars above msrp and just haggle down to it. I've never been to a dealership where the sticker price is the same or lower than the msrp. it's a fucking scam.

If there is more demand than supply, the price goes up. This is simple free market economics. If no one is buying then the prices go down. Of course the prices are high on the sticker. Do you list things for sale at the bottom dollar you'd take?

>most dealerships sell cars above msrp and just haggle down to it.
t. woman that shops at carmax

Hardly anyone negotiates cars these days. That practice will die with the boomers. The new trend is to finance at sticker, ESPECIALLY if you are young.

I straight up offered 8K cash on a jeep once, dealer had it stickered for 8400 and said "No". I said so I could offer you 8399 and you'd still not take it? And they said "yup, correct, I can make more financing it"

Ive run into this so many times when looking for a car, it is the most jewish thing. You have zero chance of negotiating for a decent car with cash in hand. Your "cash money" has no power anymore in this new age of financing and consumer debt.

Every dealer I went to refused to entertain any offers below sticker for cash. In fact, if they had it their way, financing would be the only option. But they know they must accept a full cash payment for the advertised price.

If you have 8k in cash then you can have your way with private sellers who are desperate for cash
"Well shit, you want 10k for that car awww man I only have 8k in cash right now that you could take immediately but i'm sure some other guy will come along and just happen to have 10k in cash with him"

>finance jeep
>pay it off first payment

Because CarMax, Tesla, and "certified pre-owned" have introduced "no haggle" pricing and the regular dealers are adopting it because the model rakes in more money from retarded millennials.

Sure, thats fine but your credit gets shotgunned out to however many banks and last time I checked 3 of the inquires(8) stuck on my report for 2 years. Plus itll be months before you get your title since it has to go from the dealer > bank > you with the DMV being involved in every step.

Sure, all inquiries marked as "auto" will be lumped into one "inq" but the problem is half the lenders didnt have their "inq" marked as that.... mostly those small regional banks.

Using your own bank is the same as cash so for the dealer to give you a "Deal" you'd need to go through them.

Its just irritating as fuck. NEVER ever give out your social just to "see what you can afford" since only god knows how many inqs youll get.

Just go to a credit union for an inquiry.

Guess if you're buying a pos like GM or Kia they negotiate. My parents bought a new Honda and the dealer wouldn't nudge. Same with the Lexus dealer when they bought my brother a IS250.

i will never buy a new car just because i hate dealerships so much

People want to see and sit in and test-drive cars before they buy them. That's literally the only reason dealerships will continue to exist.

>You don't have a milk man delivering glass bottles of milk no longer.
But we do in britain. They deliver plastic bottles of milk, and have refrigeration units on the van during the warmer months, and will drop of all sorts of stuff for you as well now they're privatised.
Hell, you can get your grocery shopping delivered by the supermarket now. You don't even need to own a car, they will literally carry it into your kitchen for you and help you unpack it.

Car showrooms will continue to exist, and you need proof of ID to take loans out anyway.

>walk into a gm dealership
>have 4k cash in hand
>pick out a shitty chevy sonic stick
>60k on odo
>talk with the guy he comes down off of sticker price
>3k, okay.
>start up the paper work and he does some bullshit math
>goes way over agreed price, goes beyond sticker price.
>the fuck?!
>look at the number and see that it's the same shit they offered on the net price wise.
>sscratch name out on paper work
>leave
Dealerships suck ass in pricing. Saw the same piece of shit 3 months later on craigslist with a way lower price.

One big factor though - everyone else HATES the dealer system. And it's getting to the point where the dealers are actually preventing more sales than they're making because they employ drug addicted high school graduates (I guarantee you few car salesmen have college degrees) to sell those cars to the public.

The big automakers put up with the system as it is because it's too much bother to change it (they're still making sufficient money) but you can tell even they aren't happy with it at all. Look at how they badger every dealership with endless customer satisfaction surveys and how everyone (but the dealer owner oddly enough) is deathly scared of those things.

And there are more people who make cars and buy cars than there are dealer owners out there and when sufficiently motivated, they will gang up on them.

>pay it off first payment
A lot of dealer financing plans know you can do this, so there is hidden away in the fine print that you still have to pay the financing fee if you pay off early.

They're currently propped up by shitty laws. Soon bigger companies like amazon will put them out of business and all those worthless blue collar wage cucks who sell cars will move to selling mattresses.

>Do dealers have a future
Dealers are necessary because they also serve as a warehousing distributor for a stockpile of cars. Places like Amazon (not allowed to sell cars) would take advantage of dealers by having people look at the cars on dealer lots and then go to amazon to buy it cheaper. So it makes sense amazon be prevented from predatory selling.

>i will never buy a new car just because i hate dealerships so much
just jew them hard at the end of the month. They will sell you a car even if they only make $50 on it. Just be a huge jew and it's great.

My viewpoint on this rolls around a bit, and it's shifted slightly again after having left cars sales, letting me look back on it from the outside.

I don't think dealerships are going to disappear (more on that later), but I DO think direct sale (through someone like Amazon or Wal-Mart) will become more and more popular, especially given the success of the "no-haggle" business model through places like CarMax and to a lesser extent Scion, coupled with the fact that millennials are fucking awful at negotiating

But, at the end of the day dealerships are gonna stick around for several reasons

1.)Financing: The primary obstructive factor for most people buying a car is securing reasonable (or unreasonable) financing. Dealerships have built up a network, and a system, for getting money even for the most fucked up credit profiles that walk in the door. That system is not easily replaced or substituted in a direct sales model

2.)Service: Again, most millennials are car-tards, and dealerships offer a simple, singular, reputable location for service with individuals who aren't going to service the car themselves.

3.)Brick and Mortar factor: Same thing that saved places like Best Buy, people want a physical location they can come to and complain/get assistance when shit goes wrong. Yes you can buy laptop cheaper off Amazon, but you don't have a physical place to come scream at someone when you spill a can of soda on it. Same with cars. When spending that sort of money, people want a physical location to go scream at when things go wrong

4.)Car Manufacturers: Most car makers WANT a dealer network as opposed to direct sales. It allows them to offload a lot of costs associated with sales.