What does Veeky Forums think about replicas and reproduction cars?

What does Veeky Forums think about replicas and reproduction cars?

very nice

Will eventually be the only way to enjoy certain cars. Some, of course, will disappear completely in time.

They're acceptable if the owner doesn't pretend its the real thing.

Much better to own than originals if you have them to drive them and not as an investment, because you can floor them and do what you want with them without fear of damage

>Will eventually be the only way to enjoy certain cars.
Why?

They're great

You get to enjoy priceless cars without worrying about destroying something

Yeah, but are you actually enjoying priceless cars, or just replicas? If you build a replica on a Corvette chassis, isn't it just a different looking Corvette then?

Im fine with it if the original car is unobtainium and its done well.

Becuase the real things will be too expensive to drive.

How many malaise era cars that haven't completely rusted out do you think will actually be on the market when we're old?

Well if it handles better than the original then what's the complaint?

Also replica kit cars are thing as well, as those aren't built off another chassis.

By certain cars he probably means rare or limited models that didn't have a large number produced, and so will become extinct faster than say a 65' corsair.

Take the '67 Shelby GT500 for example, less than 3300 produced, both the GT350 and GT500. Now thanks to repro makers like Brand New Muscle Car they''re not an endangered species anymore.

They're made of fiberglass and don't overheat in 90 degree weather sure, but, you change your mind after you turn the key.

Some cars like the Alfa Stradale are already so absurdly expensive that driving them is unfeasible. As time passes by that will only get worse.

>tfw no hakosuka replica

I've been thingking, how hard could it be to pay a 3d designer to make the panels, use some form of fiberglas and then put them on a miata chassis?

great when reproducing a classic car, especially when done with a chassis made from scratch

plain awful if trying to reproduce some modern italian thing, especially awful if a fiero, classic bug or mr2 is sacrificed for such a degenerate act

I want to take a 190e, body kit it into this and motor swap it with something fun. Dream project car

That might be the coolest car of all time, i get an erection every time this picture is posted.

As was already said, replicas are cool if they're of classics that are rare and/or expensive, so long as you don't pretend it's the real thing. The Factory Five '33 Ford in that pic is a good example of a cool replica. It's well-designed with good performance potential, isn't too hard to build, and is within the financial reach of most enthusiasts.

Non-replica kits are cool too, like some of the other stuff Factory Five makes. They're not pretending to be anything, so no one can claim it's a "fake" or similar.

>Alfa Stradale
If I had the money to own one, I'd drive it at least sometimes. I don't know how you'd resist the temptation otherwise.

I think they're fantastic
it's a nice way to "own" your dream car for cheap, or at least something pretty damn close to it (in the case of quality kits like Factory Five, at least)
plus building a kit is a great way to unwind on the weekends

Gotta love the 33 hot rod kit. Leagues better than the car it looks like, but looks just as awesome.

Superior

The complaint is that it's not the original.

If you can't afford the original or can't afford wrecking the original then again what is the complaint?

Or maybe you're the type of woman who's never happy with what she has?

Depends what you'd want it for.

If you just want a showpiece to store away for the winter, take it out for a few drives in the summer, maybe take it to some car shows, by all means get an original.

But if you want the car to do everything it could do when it originally came out, but better, a repro is the way to go.

Personally, I believe cars were meant to be driven, not put on display, though at the same time I think classics are worth preserving. Replicas and reproductions are the best of both worlds as you get the style of the classic look, while also being able to treat it like a car and not a museum piece. You can take it across the country if you spec it for pro touring, drive it daily, take it down country dirt roads if you want, all the while absolving yourself of the guilt of damaging a piece of history should anything bad happen to it.

Miata, as I don't have to tell you, is a unibody car meaning that its body is part of the chassis. There is no frame underneath that the body can be completely removed from. And old mg might work though, like what Clarkson did with "The Magnificent" or whatever it was.

I meant this thing, I know about the whole unibody and body on frame thing, besides, the hakosuka was also unibody as far as I know

That's the Drivetrain

Good shit, especially if the original is dying or dead in terms of driveable models