Recently bought a used '96 golf for $1500, 162,000 miles. so far, issues are

recently bought a used '96 golf for $1500, 162,000 miles. so far, issues are
>AC doesn't work
>car sometimes makes odd buzzing sound on turns
>potential oil and/or gas leak
what might be causing these, how much might they cost to fix, and what are some other issues I should look out for? everything else seems to be good, which is why I got it (all other cars I tried in my budget range had issues with brakes, transmission, suspension, etc, or just had way too many miles)
car pictured is not mine

bumping for an answer
will take pics of the car soon, anything in particular I should show?

cock

you overpayed by about $1500

Go find a VW forum. You'll get no love from Veeky Forums.

here is a pic of the underside
I hope not
do people here not like VWs?

Not even Germans liked the Mk4 golf.

meh, I enjoy the feel of driving it more than anything else I can afford
though it does have alarmingly high rpm at freeway speeds, going 80 it almost reaches 4k

>AC doesn't work
compressor replacement gonna be 500-1k,

>buzzing sound on turns
check power steering fluid is low, otherwise could be pinions or worse structural issues

>potential oil/gas leak
can't help you there

should've just saved up for a
>3k civic
this is going to cost you way more than that

>compressor replacement gonna be 500-1k
I was afraid of that. is there any cheaper alternative?
>check power steering fluid
I checked, it is somewhat low but still well above the minimum. structurally it seemed sound, but I am by no means a mechanic
>3k Civic
already had to borrow money to afford this car. I work min wage plus tips and live in CA, saving is impossible here
also, my last couple cars were Civics, I'm so fucking sick of driving them

>do people here not like VWs?

Not only that, but, as has been mentioned, the MKIV is considered the least desirable Golf ever made.

That's the Mk3 you dips

posting for interest, a guy is selling 2004 golf for 1800, AFAIK its not gti, or atleast doesn't look like it.
Should I avoid it? Nothing wrong with the car, according to him (I will be the judge of that)

also its a 2 door, is there any specific trim that uses a 2door, or do all trims come in 2 and 4 door?

>onethousandandfivehoundred dollars
for 260000 km golf that isnt even a gti.
You fucked up son.

I know this is a stretch but I bet you bought this for your girlfriend

Youre never going to have ac on it
Get the leaks fixed
Live with the buzzing

>is there any cheaper alternative?
Open the windows.

Actually those compressors shouldn't cost more than $250. Get the system vacuumed out, install new compressor, get it refilled, done. Should come out below $350. Get new O-rings too.

Buzzing could be CV joints, but you're gonna have to give more information.

on my 94 nissan you can short the compressor to force it to engage but how bad do you need ac? Open the fucking windows and drive faster.

it does have a 2 liter engine as opposed to the standard 1.4
the leaks and the buzzing are higher priority, but as I live in CA and the hottest months of the year are coming up, AC would be nice
idk what other information to give. I notice it the most when doing really sharp turns, or turning at speed